Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Home brewers CHECK IN please!

1. 04-19-2011 10:36 AM #826
      Saison hit a gravity of 1.005, down from 1.070 two weeks ago at pitch, so I am happy with progress. The Wyeast 3711 French Saison strain is a monster! Two weeks to settle at ambient temps, hopefully dry out a tad more, then bottle age for a bit. Graduated flask sample was pleasant though, a bit tart, and I got some of the hot alcohol esters from the recent temp increase...time should mellow those out.

Lots of brewing this week...the IPA & Belgian Blonde will be brewed thorughout the week, and I am thinking of doing a 2.5 gallon batch of Edwort's Apfelwein (with some added spices) ready for a long aging process.

Might squeeze in the 1 gallon trial run Porter as well...I am excited about this one, going to throw some bourbon soaked oak chips into the secondary for a little extra something

Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      05-03-2011 07:14 PM #827
      Quote Originally Posted by Residentevol View Post
      Nice post back once you have that nut brown because I'm having "issues" with the midwest kit.
      Just tossed the first two in the fridge...
      =====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2011 Black JSW TDI
      =====

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      05-05-2011 10:23 AM #828
      Just kegged a whit beer and a Belgian over the past couple of days. They're in the keezer getting carbonated and should be mostly ready by tomorrow.

4. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-05-2011 10:28 AM #829
      Quote Originally Posted by yzfwv View Post
      Just kegged a whit beer and a Belgian over the past couple of days. They're in the keezer getting carbonated and should be mostly ready by tomorrow.
      My bottled witbier turned out fantastic. I'd love to keg.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      05-05-2011 10:49 AM #830
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      My bottled witbier turned out fantastic. I'd love to keg.
      I skipped bottling entirely. I'm too lazy. The Belgian fermented for over a month before it was finally finished...and I was ok with that.

6. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-05-2011 11:16 AM #831
      Quote Originally Posted by yzfwv View Post
      I skipped bottling entirely. I'm too lazy. The Belgian fermented for over a month before it was finally finished...and I was ok with that.
      I am too lazy too, but I'm cheaper than I am lazy.

Wait...what belgian did you make?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      05-05-2011 12:23 PM #832
      This is what I wanted to hear. I've been doing my higher temp fermentations in one spot in my dinette area but I'd like to be able to keep a more consistent temperature. I'll take a look over at morebeer.
      I have an electric blanket I used on the Belgian I brewed. It got stuck at 1.020, so I put it on the bar and off the floor with the electric blanket on it for a few days and it got down to 1.007 pretty quick.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      05-05-2011 12:25 PM #833
      I am too lazy too, but I'm cheaper than I am lazy.

Wait...what belgian did you make?
      It's the True Brew Belgian kit.

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      05-05-2011 01:06 PM #834
      IPA has been in the bottles for two weeks now.

Only shot I got of it which is after two weeks in the bottles. One thing I will say is that while the flavor is great, it doesn't seem like it has enough carbonation. The helles I brewed about two months ago seemed the same way, even after three weeks in the bottles. We have some that has been in the bottles for over a month, but I haven't tried any of them yet. We had a party a few weeks back and didn't get any complaints.

We also just started a blueberry wheat last weekend. Our first partial mash kit. I got lazy with photos so there is only got one of the grain bag draining

One store employee said to leave the grains loose in the pot while the other said to use the bag. We ended up using the bag because we don't have another pot to pour the grains into. We did get a little bit of overflow through the airlock on it, probably about a half cup. We are expecting a bit more when the blueberry puree is added in a few days.

Has anyone tried out the homebrewstuff.com brewing kettles? I am looking to upgrade that step of the process. The stainless pot we have now isn't cutting it.
      Last edited by kenny301; 05-08-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      05-06-2011 09:08 PM #835
      First sample... NB's Nut Brown Ale kit:

Second NB kit is in primary, moving to secondary this weekend. It's their raspberry wheat, but instead of using their bottle of extract, I'm going to give a go at using real fruit in the secondary.
      =====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2011 Black JSW TDI
      =====

Vehicles
      2014 Ford FiST, 2001 Audi A4 1.8t QT
      05-07-2011 11:07 AM #836
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      IPA has been in the bottles for two weeks now.
      Looks a little cloudy, are you transferring to a secondary after 7-10 days of fermentation in the primary? What are you using to cool the wort post-boil? Are you using any irish moss?

Also, I don't know how valid this is, but here is a 9 gallon brewpot for $70. It's nice to have an eternal temp gauge, but you can always buy a digital one with a probe and still come out ahead. http://www.homebrewing.org/9-Gallon-...Pot_p_274.html

I've also started drinking more of my stout-light. There wasn't near enough chocolate malt in the grain bill for a robust taste but the beer is well balanced at about 60ibu offrom gelena/cascade.

12. 05-07-2011 04:15 PM #837
      Quote Originally Posted by magics5rip View Post
      Looks a little cloudy, are you transferring to a secondary after 7-10 days of fermentation in the primary? .

Transferring to secondary does nothing to clear the beer. There's actually a good chance it will make the beer more cloudy since you're rousing everything back up again to transfer. Your beer will also benefit from sitting on the yeast cake in primary. If you pull the beer off the yeast after only 7 days there hasn't been sufficient time for the yeast to ferment as well as clean up and condition your brew.

Vehicles
      05-07-2011 05:35 PM #838
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFastChickenwing View Post
      Transferring to secondary does nothing to clear the beer. There's actually a good chance it will make the beer more cloudy since you're rousing everything back up again to transfer. Your beer will also benefit from sitting on the yeast cake in primary. If you pull the beer off the yeast after only 7 days there hasn't been sufficient time for the yeast to ferment as well as clean up and condition your brew.
      If the sediment is stirred up in the beer, it can create some cloud like appearance. I'm sure his is mostly from not cooling the wort post-boil fast enough or the lack of irish moss at flameout but eliminating all sources will clear the beer up.

From my experience, all my beers racked from primary -> secondary -> bottling bucket - >bottles/keg have been much more clear than not using a secondary.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      05-07-2011 07:24 PM #839
      With my last two batches, I transfered them to a secondary after fermentation and put gelatin in it and let it sit for two days. That caught everything at the bottom and made for a clear beer. I'll have to get photos.

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      05-08-2011 10:58 PM #840
      Yeah, we are transferring to a glass carboy for the secondary. I can't remember how many days it was for the IPA. we were careful not to stir up any sediment when transferring or bottling. No irish moss for the IPA or the blueberry wheat, but I have read up on it and will be using it on the next beer we do.

For cooling we use a home made wort submersion wort chiller. It is the type in this link but with more tubing, http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shopchillers.asp

The 9 gallon brew pot looks nice and I wish that I had seen that before I went to ebay and paid $50 for a 5 gallon stainless brew pot that isn't nearly as nice. Ideally I'd like to get something with at least a valve on it. I am probably going to do a few more partial mashes before I try my hand at all grain.

The local home brew place carries Blichmann stuff. It is super nice but I am not sure that I am ready to drop $300 on a 10 gallon brew pot and another $70 for a false bottom. I'd feel better getting a cheaper homebrewstuff.com one and later on I can drop cash on a larger Blichmann one if I ever do batches that need a larger brew pot.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      05-10-2011 12:42 AM #841
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      Yeah, we are transferring to a glass carboy for the secondary. I can't remember how many days it was for the IPA. we were careful not to stir up any sediment when transferring or bottling. No irish moss for the IPA or the blueberry wheat, but I have read up on it and will be using it on the next beer we do.

For cooling we use a home made wort submersion wort chiller. It is the type in this link but with more tubing, http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shopchillers.asp

The 9 gallon brew pot looks nice and I wish that I had seen that before I went to ebay and paid $50 for a 5 gallon stainless brew pot that isn't nearly as nice. Ideally I'd like to get something with at least a valve on it. I am probably going to do a few more partial mashes before I try my hand at all grain.

The local home brew place carries Blichmann stuff. It is super nice but I am not sure that I am ready to drop $300 on a 10 gallon brew pot and another $70 for a false bottom. I'd feel better getting a cheaper homebrewstuff.com one and later on I can drop cash on a larger Blichmann one if I ever do batches that need a larger brew pot.
      My friend uses kegs to brew in and for a mash tun. I have one in the back yard I'm going to cut open and modify. Google keggles

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      05-10-2011 03:00 PM #842
      Here is my crappy chiller.

I was given a large amount of copper tubing, so I decided to have at it. Without ever making one before or even doing any research, I got to work. I wanted an outer coil that sat really close to the outside of the kettle and then an inner coil for even faster cooling. I started first on the outer and then when I was satisfied with the depth I moved on to the inner coil. I got a bit too excited and ended up kinking the tubing a bit. I was using a bender for this small bender and got a bit overzealous.

I continued on anyways and when I was done, I cut out the kink and spliced it using food grade tubing and hose clamps. Now here is what I want to do: in addition to make it look a bit better I want to remove the tubing section and put some sort of copper joint in.

Now I can solder really good on circuit boards, etc. but i have never "sweated" a pipe. Is this a bad idea for this appication? Will the joint leach out into my hot brew kettle? I am worried about the solder and flux compounds getting into the beer.

rule #1 (don't laugh, I did it free hand with a couple buckets)

Vehicles
      05-10-2011 03:10 PM #843
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Now I can solder really good on circuit boards, etc. but i have never "sweated" a pipe. Is this a bad idea for this appication? Will the joint leach out into my hot brew kettle? I am worried about the solder and flux compounds getting into the beer.
      You could just use lead-free solder and plumbing flux. That what is used on your water pipes at home. As long the joint sealed, there will be no leak through from the chiller to the beer.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      05-10-2011 03:39 PM #844
      Quote Originally Posted by magics5rip View Post
      You could just use lead-free solder and plumbing flux. That what is used on your water pipes at home. As long the joint sealed, there will be no leak through from the chiller to the beer.
      Good call, I was just concerned about leaching.

Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      05-10-2011 04:11 PM #845
      Another new comer to this thread, just checking in
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      05-10-2011 10:09 PM #846
      Quote Originally Posted by abawp View Post
      Another new comer to this thread, just checking in
      I see you found my link.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 83 jetta Coupe, 82 Caddy, 87 GLI 16V, Wifes, 92 Cabriolet and 95 Cabrio
      05-10-2011 10:16 PM #847
      My brother made a chiller out of copper, but he also bought one of these. Restaraunts use these to bring the temp down quickly in soups, chilis etc. He said it is working great, just keep it in a freezer until you are ready to use.

http://www.katom.com/094-RCU128.html

Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      05-11-2011 12:09 AM #848
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      I see you found my link.
      I did

Just a quick picture of my strawberry weizenbock I threw together. Little too strong on the strawberry extract and I think I need to age it a little longer. 8.25% ABV isn't too shabby though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      05-11-2011 12:45 AM #849
      Quote Originally Posted by galil762 View Post
      My brother made a chiller out of copper, but he also bought one of these. Restaraunts use these to bring the temp down quickly in soups, chilis etc. He said it is working great, just keep it in a freezer until you are ready to use.

http://www.katom.com/094-RCU128.html

So I'm guessing with that thing use your normal chiller for about 5 minutes to get that initial boiling hot temp down and then toss that in? How big is that guy because I can't imagine it being all that helpful in 5-10 gallons of liquid. Cool idea though!

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 83 jetta Coupe, 82 Caddy, 87 GLI 16V, Wifes, 92 Cabriolet and 95 Cabrio
      05-11-2011 07:19 AM #850
      Quote Originally Posted by Residentevol View Post
      So I'm guessing with that thing use your normal chiller for about 5 minutes to get that initial boiling hot temp down and then toss that in? How big is that guy because I can't imagine it being all that helpful in 5-10 gallons of liquid. Cool idea though!
      They make these in several sizes, He uses it with his chiller. I have seen them used in stock pots from 10 to 60 qt. They will cool down pasta sauce quickly, which is thick and holds heat longer than a liquid.

Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast