2014 Ford FiST, 2001 Audi A4 1.8t QT
      07-31-2009 02:53 PM #141
      Quote, originally posted by A3VRSIX »
      Heck Yea!! its finally time to try my newest batch! woot woot

Name: Creamy Goodness Golden ale
      Receipt: Beersmith.com
      Type: Full Grain
      Batch: 5 gallons

I will let you guys know how it taste when I get home from work, or monday haha

cheers

Make sure to post a picture of the beer in a fresh clear pint glass! I love seeing the color of a fresh beer just out of the bottle

2. 07-31-2009 03:17 PM #142
      Quote, originally posted by patrikman »

I have the kit and all of the equipment already, any links to where I can purchase one of these kits you speak of?

unfortunately no, not for you.

the only company i found that will resell the kits vs. put them on for you in their u-brew shop only ships within ONE canadian province, and it's not even mine! i had to phone them and plead my case and offer to pay whatever the shipping price was to get these three kits shipped to me on the west coast. somehow i don't think they're going to be too keen about international shipping.

however, due to the limited shipping distance & the fact that the product is completely unknown where i am - but could prove popular - if the batches i put on turn out good i've been contemplating buying in bulk & reselling... but in order to re-ship one single kit i'd have to charge retail + s&h to me + s&h to you. if you're cool with the price tag of $57, then i can get one to ya.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      07-31-2009 04:10 PM #143
      Quote, originally posted by MrTopher »
      I'm just about to get into home brewing and I am happy I found this post before I went out and bought a kit. Also happy because I would have bought the wrong book, which I'll be getting the Palmer one this weekend. First I want to read and research then brew, I'll keep watching this post. Its been great already!

dont forget you can read the information on http://www.howtobrew.com be sure to ask any questions on here or any one of the forums there are some really helpful guys on http://www.homebrewtalk.com

Vehicles
      white car black tires
      08-03-2009 11:19 AM #144
      Quote, originally posted by magics5rip »

Make sure to post a picture of the beer in a fresh clear pint glass! I love seeing the color of a fresh beer just out of the bottle

Well sadly something went wrong in the process and I am forced to poor it all out. "Nobody Drink the Beer!" "the Beer is Bad" I dont know if I didnt get something sterilized or I just didnt do the full grain process correct. Popped the first one open poored it into a glass took a drink and it was sour and spoiled tasting.

So I figure it was bound to happen not every batch is goning to turn out perfect.

on to the next.
      Cheers!

Janky Garage inc. "Its Clean as Glass" Air Ride installs and more.... Give us a Call 619 961 0027
      Do the Senior Members now qualify for AARP?

Vehicles
      08-03-2009 12:59 PM #145

Well sadly something went wrong in the process and I am forced to poor it all out. "Nobody Drink the Beer!" "the Beer is Bad"

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear!

I hope there is nothing wrong with mine as there was a piece of mold that I apparently missed when cleaning my lautering rig. I have read that mold won't hurt a beer (most of it probably died during the boil) but we'll see.

Racked off my Bells Two Hearted clone, dry hopped and washed the yeast for future brews for about $8 in mason jars. Things are looking good thus far

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      08-03-2009 01:28 PM #146
      Two Hearted Clone? sounds delish
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      08-03-2009 02:02 PM #147
      Two Hearted Clone? sounds delish

Yeah, it probably won't taste even close as I added #2 of pilsner grain, mashed at a higher temp and boiled for 90 minute instead of 60. So it'll probably be a bit maltier and hoppier than the two hearted but still enjoyable.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-03-2009 02:54 PM #148
      dude dont pour it all out...let it sit and see if it takes care of itself....Even then use it for cooking or shampoo or something DONT POUR IT! God kills kittens when you pour beer out

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-03-2009 02:55 PM #149
      Going to be making a clone recipe of Green Flash's West coast IPA. The Jamil show "can you brew it" covered this one and they supposedly brewed it spot on. I'll post up the recipe if anyone wants.

Vehicles
      08-03-2009 04:27 PM #150
      Quote, originally posted by Residentevol »
      Going to be making a clone recipe of Green Flash's West coast IPA. The Jamil show "can you brew it" covered this one and they supposedly brewed it spot on. I'll post up the recipe if anyone wants.

Im always looking for good ipa recipes, post it up!

My bell's "copy" was the following:

10# american 2 row
      2# vienna
      2# Pilsner
      1# 24l Caramel

Hops:
      3oz Centennial
      2oz Cascade

Schedule: 90 min boil
      1.33oz Cent @ boil
      .33oz cent @ 75 min (to go)
      .33oz cent @ 45 min
      .75oz Cascade @ 30 min
      1tsp irish moss @ 15 min
      .25 cascade @ flame out

Dry hop: 1 oz casade 1 oz centennial

Yeast: White Labs WLP001 California Ale (should have used a different strand, Ale V or Wyeast 1056)

Mash Temp: 155+ (too high for the alcohol content, should have mashed at around 150)

Color looks pretty close already. It might be a little too dark so using 1/2 lb of caramel would fit the color better. Taste I cannot account for (yet.) Beer is in the secondary till Sunday when it goes into the keg.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-03-2009 06:42 PM #151
      That recipe looks good man...lots of hop layering *which I love*

Do you whirlpool? I just saw that you were using irish moss and this is something I have yet to do. My batches so far have had every last drop added from the boil kettle into the fermenter. But I have been hopping and steeping grains in nylon bags so no real solids are floating around. Just wondering how some of you are doing it......

Vehicles
      white car black tires
      08-03-2009 07:29 PM #152
      ! God kills kittens when you pour beer out

well in that case I will brew more just to pour out hahaha

Seriously though its bad really bad. It doesnt even taste like it should be beer. I dont know what happend I think my mash tun gave off some wierd plastic chemically taste. yea not good.

Janky Garage inc. "Its Clean as Glass" Air Ride installs and more.... Give us a Call 619 961 0027

Vehicles
      08-03-2009 07:40 PM #153

Seriously though its bad really bad. It doesnt even taste like it should be beer. I dont know what happend I think my mash tun gave off some wierd plastic chemically taste. yea not good.

Wash that thing thoroughly and sanitize it a few times. What do you for sanitizer and what is your process?

I use One Step which is a no rinse santizer. I don't santize anything until just before I use it, Give it a few good wet wipe-downs then its good to use.

Also, if you don't already, use filtered water.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-03-2009 11:59 PM #154
      you shouldnt need to sanitize your mash tun....as long as your not going in there post boil... That sucks that it did not turn out well but I would still at least leave a few off to the side and give them some time to see what happens...Can you try and break down the flavor a bit more of what is off? Perhaps you can troubleshoot down to where its coming from...

Vehicles
      08-04-2009 12:06 AM #155
      This is true, certain off flavors can lead you to your problem.

I sanitize anything that will touch the water at any stage. Maybe its overkill, but every step in cleanliness taken leads to better results.

16. Member
      08-04-2009 09:31 AM #156

"plastic chemically taste"...The common term in brewing lingo is "phenolic". Sometimes the water source can cause this as well if you use unfiltered water, or don't pre-boil or treat to get rid of chloramine. That's easy to fix, use a campden tablet (potassium metabisulfate) in your mash water or use a carbon filter (that's what I do).

You could also have fermentation problems that'll enhance that flavor/aroma...fermenting too warm for instance can do it sometimes, underpitching, etc. Contamination can do it too, which I suspect may be the underlying issue becasue you said there's also sourness.

Anyways, that's one of those flavors that doesn't really go away with time unfortunately, and if it is a contamination problem, it'll get worse.

Modified by blksabbath at 6:35 AM 8-4-2009

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      08-04-2009 09:37 AM #157
      I agree.I am overly anal about sanitizing and I also use OneStep. I have never had any problems.

My friend (who got me into this) is a little less strict. I've noticed he isn't regimented on boiling times or recipes in addition to not always making sure he everything is as clean as can be. he has had a couple of batches go bad. and he is always trying to do clone batches but, he always overlooks the water being used.

I got a kit free from Home Depot when I moved to test the water. it was just a little vial that you fill up and send. they supposedly test it and send you the results. I sent it out in late May and haven't heard back so I am starting to get antsy about it. I am assuming they would provide info on mineral content and hardness, right?

...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Vehicles
      08-04-2009 10:05 AM #158

I got a kit free from Home Depot when I moved to test the water. it was just a little vial that you fill up and send. they supposedly test it and send you the results. I sent it out in late May and haven't heard back so I am starting to get antsy about it. I am assuming they would provide info on mineral content and hardness, right?

Yes, they should provide data on ph, minerals, chlorine, etc. At least then you can modify your water to target styles.

Luckily I have very low mineral, low chlorine water here. I still use a faucet mounted PUR filter, but I can target any beer style I want basically. Unfortunately, I only brew IPAs up to this point

Modified by magics5rip at 10:07 AM 8-4-2009

Vehicles
      white car black tires
      08-04-2009 11:12 AM #159
      I use filtered TAP water "PUR" filter. I also get a very strong boil going before I start to add anything. Sanitation I use iondine and water and have never had an issue. I also clean everything about 5 min before I use it and make sure it is dry, air dry. I will look for that stuff you guys use. One of you said that the plasticy taste is not uncommon that makes me feel a little better. I do have my carboy outside (I live San Diego) so maybe it did get to hot but I dont remember it being that hot. This was the first time I tried to make a full grain I also credit that to some of the poor result I am going to read up more and give it another shot, Maybe I missed or overlooked something.

Thanks guys
      Cheers!

Vehicles
      08-04-2009 11:21 AM #160
      I do have my carboy outside (I live San Diego) so maybe it did get to hot but I dont remember it being that hot.

I try to keep everything under 75 degrees max. This fermentation was between 76-78 deg F for the first few days, so there may be some esters. But generally, you want to keep the fermenters in a dark cool place and your temp will depend on the yeast used. I tend to use the White Labs WLP001 because its pretty versitile for different conditions.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      08-04-2009 11:33 AM #161
      yeah, outside may not be good. if it gets too hot the yeast is either dead or really unhappy.

22. Member
      08-04-2009 02:10 PM #162
      yeah, outside may not be good. if it gets too hot the yeast is either dead or really unhappy.

Actually, most strains will hammer away quite happily...but you end up with a ton off flavors and a nice headache. Unless you are making a saison or something like that, aim for temps below 70 for ales and below 55 for lagers.

Campden tablets are cheap and can eliminate the water treatment issue. Again, you should treat your mash water and sparge water the same way, and any top up water in the kettle.

A3VRSIX, you said you had a full boil going before you added anything? Were you doing an all grain batch?

Modified by blksabbath at 11:12 AM 8-4-2009

Vehicles
      08-04-2009 02:55 PM #163
      Quote, originally posted by blksabbath »

Campden tablets are cheap and can eliminate the water treatment issue. Again, you should treat your mash water and sparge water the same way, and any top up water in the kettle.

This is key too. Brew day, its easy to forget a step here and there if you haven't done many brews. I filter all water that is used on this day, even water added to my santizing compound.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-07-2009 09:27 PM #164
      Here is the Green Flash west coast IPA clone as promised

Green Flash West Coast IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
      ----------------
      Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
      Total Grain (Lbs): 16.63
      Anticipated OG: 1.069 Plato: 16.84
      Anticipated SRM: 8.8
      Anticipated IBU: 93.0
      Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
      Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Formulas Used
      -------------
      Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
      Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
      Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
      Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
      Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
      Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
      % Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      84.2 14.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
      7.9 1.31 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
      7.9 1.31 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
      Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 24.5 90 min.
      0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 13.1 60 min.
      0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 11.1 60 min.
      0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 6.7 30 min.
      0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 5.7 30 min.
      0.75 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 10.5 15 min.
      0.75 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 8.9 15 min.
      1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.3 10 min.
      0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 4.4 1 min.
      0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 3.7 1 min.
      0.50 oz. Amarillo Pellet 7.50 0.0 Dry Hop
      0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 0.0 Dry Hop
      0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 0.0 Dry Hop
      0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 0.0 Dry Hop
      ** Special optional addition section. Listen to the show :lol:
      0.20 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.3 Dry Hop
      6# rubber stopper Dry Hop

Yeast
      -----
      White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
      -------------
      Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 16.63
      Water Qts: 20.78 - Before Additional Infusions
      Water Gal: 5.20 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 35
      Mash-out Rest Temp : 165 Time: 15
      Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 45

Total Mash Volume Gal: 6.53 - Dough-In Infusion Only

Actual OG: 1.070 Actual FG: 1.015
      2 Vials of White Labs WLP001 California Ale yeast grown up on a 1.035 2 liter stir plate starter for approximately 16 hours before pitching.

Pitched at 68F. Allowed it to rise during the natural heat created during fermentation up to 70F.
      Fermented in 6 gallon carboy. Fermented 7 days before dry hopping.
      Not transferred or yeast not removed before dry hopping.
      Dry hopped for 7 days at 64F. Agitated the dry hop every other day.

I added enough Gypsum to get my water up to approximately 50ppm Calcium, Chuck's starting with 60-70ppm Calcium in Vista, CA (I said 100 on the show, it's actually 60-70), and might be hitting at least 100ppm Calcium in the finished beer. The water in Vista, CA in North San Diego county is pretty hard. See the 2007 water report for that area here: http://www.vid-h2o.org/pdf/pub...7.pdf

This homebrew recipe turned out just fantastic, I'd say it was totally cloned. We tapped 5 gallons in the studio on Monday, and I'd say at this rate the keg won't last much longer.

Potential recipe improvements: Accentuate bitterness in the finish a bit more with water adjustments and/or hit about 35IBU at 90 minutes instead of 25. I would do 25IBU of Simcoe and 10IBU of Columbus there instead of just Simcoe. Also don't be afraid to calculate this recipe out to 105-110IBU. Use Carastan 30-70 if you can instead of Crystal 40L.

Brew it up and enjoy.

Vehicles
      08-08-2009 10:58 AM #165

Brew it up and enjoy.

Awesome, seems be very a very nice recipe

I just found out last night that one of my older homebrew recipes tastles almost identical to Wild Goose IPA

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-17-2009 01:42 PM #166
      Brewed the west coast IPA last night and all went seemingly pretty well.

I have learned the art of the whirlpool now.....Hopefully the days of super cloudy beer are gone!

I'll be sure to post back when I get to taste it...

Vehicles
      08-17-2009 02:06 PM #167
      Very nice How did you whirlpool if you don't me asking?

The end of the week is 2 weeks of conditioning for the bells clone. Obviously I have been drinking some of it and this beer tatses great. Finally has a big hop scent to it that I have been looking for and a solid bitterness without being overbearing. However the alocohol content is low being that I fermented at such a high temp. I would, however, brew this again in a heartbeat.

Here is a picture from a pint out of the keg...

http://img37.yfrog.com/i/obqj.jpg/

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      08-17-2009 02:29 PM #168
      looks yummy

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-17-2009 06:28 PM #169
      Quote, originally posted by magics5rip »
      Very nice How did you whirlpool if you don't me asking?

Cool your wort using your immersion chiller and take a well sanitized stirring spoon and stir the living crap out of the wort *like several minutes* and put a nicely sanitized cover or piece of foil over the kettle for about 30-40 minutes when you come back you will see a much clearer wort as all the cold break will have fallen *using irish moss or equivalent will increase this* then we used our auto-siphon to pull out all of the clear wort leaving about 1/2 gallon in the bottom of all the hops residue and cold break.....

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Tacoma
      08-20-2009 04:38 AM #170
      I use filtered TAP water "PUR" filter. I also get a very strong boil going before I start to add anything. Sanitation I use iondine and water and have never had an issue. I also clean everything about 5 min before I use it and make sure it is dry, air dry. I will look for that stuff you guys use. One of you said that the plasticy taste is not uncommon that makes me feel a little better. I do have my carboy outside (I live San Diego) so maybe it did get to hot but I dont remember it being that hot. This was the first time I tried to make a full grain I also credit that to some of the poor result I am going to read up more and give it another shot, Maybe I missed or overlooked something.

Thanks guys
      Cheers!

If you're in San Diego like your profile says, our club, Foam on the Brain is always welcoming new members. We aren't nearly as big as the big club here, quaff, and I really think, for a beginner, we provide a great opportunity to learn. People are brewing ALL the time and they're always open to having people help, watch or brew with.

We meet on the 3rd saturday of every month at the San Diego Brewing Company. If you're interested, check out the website http://www.foamies.net/ and also http://foamonthebrain.ning.com/

Send me a PM if you want more information

Matt

FS: Oettinger Type E 16 x 7.5, 5 x 100 with all 4 center caps. Perfect shape. Located in San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I don't want the butt herp on my schwantz either.

31. 08-21-2009 07:53 PM #171
      Homebrewer checking in. We (volkswackin) and I have been brewing for a few years now. Here is my current homebrew situation:
      Drinking - Mo' Betta Bretta Clone - fermented with Brett B, Lacto, and Pedio
      Bottle Conditioning -
      1) Russian River Supplication Clone with lighter ABV, fermented with Brett B and Lacto, aged over 6 months on Texas grown Blueberries and Raspberries.
      2) Belgian Triple hopped with Russian River Pliney The Elder hop schedule and then fermented with 100% Brett B.

The Mo' Betta Bretta clone is amazing. The two bottle conditioning wild ales were amazing from the fermenter during bottling. I hope they carbonate soon so I can start cracking some!

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      08-21-2009 11:53 PM #172
      welcome

33. 08-22-2009 07:47 PM #173
      Drinking my Mo' Betta Bretta clone as I type

If image doesn't work then I suck at life.

Modified by yakuzaSoarer at 4:50 PM 8-22-2009

Vehicles
      GLI 30th w/Nav
      08-24-2009 08:18 AM #174
      Quote, originally posted by yakuzaSoarer »
      Drinking my Mo' Betta Bretta clone as I type

I saw a recipe for that in my Extreme Brewing book (Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head)

I wanted to try to brew that....is that where your recipe was from?

Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Settle down there junior planeteers. It was a joke.

35. 08-25-2009 11:05 AM #175
      Quote, originally posted by graffkng »

I saw a recipe for that in my Extreme Brewing book (Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head)

I wanted to try to brew that....is that where your recipe was from?

Base recipe - yes. However, I modified the hop's to meet what I had available. I also used different yeast and bacteria for fermentation than what was recomended in the book.

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast