Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Home brewers CHECK IN please!

Vehicles
      2014 Ford FiST, 2001 Audi A4 1.8t QT
      07-24-2009 11:18 PM #126
      Eh, after the initial fury of fermenting is done, the beer isn't going to much more fermenting. So there is no reason really to leave the big yeast cake in the bottom of the primary. It is either preference or convenience: I rack to a secondary then dry hop. I should rack a third time just to get most of the sediment out from the dry hopping (really, who doesn't move their fermenters around stirring everything up?)
      Secondaries+ just allows people to not be as careful I guess. Plus, it keeps the beer from having a "yeasty" flavor at times.
      Oh, and Dale's Pale Ale...best canned beer I have ever had [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      07-25-2009 02:30 PM #127
      Went purchased ingredients today, nothing smells better than fresh hops and grain!
      I do have a question though...with the white labs/wyeast costing about $7 a vial, has anyone saved any yeast from a previous brew for a future brew? I brew about once a month or so and am not sure how long I can hold on to the yeast cake before it isn't worth using anymore.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      07-25-2009 03:42 PM #128
      Ive read about 5 cycles and your yeast will start to mutate and produce off flavors.....But you can really stretch those things out if you split that cake up and then use starters off of each section that you saved. Giving you way more then just "5" uses total. I save mine there is a good post over on homebrew talk that describes "yeast washing". You can even get super technical with some glycerin and freeze them for extremely long storage.

Vehicles
      07-26-2009 10:30 PM #129
      Quote, originally posted by Residentevol »
      Ive read about 5 cycles and your yeast will start to mutate and produce off flavors.....But you can really stretch those things out if you split that cake up and then use starters off of each section that you saved. Giving you way more then just "5" uses total. I save mine there is a good post over on homebrew talk that describes "yeast washing". You can even get super technical with some glycerin and freeze them for extremely long storage.

I found the post that you mentioned. Excellent find [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] It seems that you can cut the cake into about 4 different portions and get about 5 brews before mutations occur. But, if you "yeast wash" each time, you can probably get a years worth of brewing out of one $8 bottle of yeast. 6 months is probably as long as I'll go, but I am looking to drive the cost down a bit.
      Here is a pic ramping up to the boil You can see the hot break is going to boil over....and it did

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      07-28-2009 11:51 AM #130
      Just did a BIAB partial mash today and hit 80% efficiency no joke! Its a Wit bier and i'll post up the recipe after I taste it and approve it

Vehicles
      07-28-2009 12:49 PM #131
      Just did a BIAB partial mash today and hit 80% efficiency no joke! Its a Wit bier and i'll post up the recipe after I taste it and approve it

[IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] I did a Bell's Two Hearted with a small tweak. I'll do the same with this if its matures like I want it to. My Efficiency was barely 70% though haha

7. 07-28-2009 04:24 PM #132
      not beer, but:
      i just bottled my sangria last night.
      next to bottle: cali cab sauv, coconut infused bacardi liqueur.
      brewing: kahlua.
      next to brew: pinot noir, banana pineapple viognier, grand marnier, irish cream.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      07-29-2009 06:42 PM #133
      thats cool if you dont mind sharing some info on how you make that kahlua I'd appreciate it! Sounds good and im sure the wife would enjoy it 'once shes done being preggors that is'

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      07-29-2009 07:26 PM #134
      I would be interested in some Kahlua. I drink alot of white russians during Lebowski season.

10. 07-29-2009 07:47 PM #135
      thats cool if you dont mind sharing some info on how you make that kahlua I'd appreciate it! Sounds good and im sure the wife would enjoy it 'once shes done being preggors that is'

step one:
      buy home brewing kit to make kahlua
      step two:
      drink a gallon of apple cider so you have an empty jug
      step three:
      follow instructions in the kahlua kit
      it's just like making beer or wine from a kit, just follow the directions. add this at this time, add that at that time, shake/mix, let it sit w/ an airlock on it, do this do that & voila - a month later you have about a gallon of kahlua for about $45. (well, plus the $15 apple juice lol)
      the grand marnier, so long as it turns out well, is by far the best value... as to buy the real deal locally would cost $50/750ml bottle, so $250 for what you can make a copy of for $45.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      07-31-2009 10:52 AM #136
      tasted my dunkelweizen that I bottled earlier this week *yeah I know its way to early* but I like to see how things progress. This one was a little no not a little a whole LOT young. Kind of watery and the flavors have yet to really come together I got hints of apricot/chocolate/roasted malt but It needs to come forward a lot. Anyone have any beers that went from boring to awesome within a few weeks in the bottle?

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      07-31-2009 11:09 AM #137
      Quote, originally posted by true snowboards »
      step one:
      buy home brewing kit to make kahlua
      step two:
      drink a gallon of apple cider so you have an empty jug
      step three:
      follow instructions in the kahlua kit
      it's just like making beer or wine from a kit, just follow the directions. add this at this time, add that at that time, shake/mix, let it sit w/ an airlock on it, do this do that & voila - a month later you have about a gallon of kahlua for about $45. (well, plus the $15 apple juice lol)
      the grand marnier, so long as it turns out well, is by far the best value... as to buy the real deal locally would cost $50/750ml bottle, so $250 for what you can make a copy of for $45.

I have the kit and all of the equipment already, any links to where I can purchase one of these kits you speak of?

Vehicles
      07-31-2009 11:10 AM #138
      tasted my dunkelweizen that I bottled earlier this week *yeah I know its way to early* but I like to see how things progress. This one was a little no not a little a whole LOT young. Kind of watery and the flavors have yet to really come together I got hints of apricot/chocolate/roasted malt but It needs to come forward a lot. Anyone have any beers that went from boring to awesome within a few weeks in the bottle?

I have had a moderate IPA go from undrinkable to amazing in 1 week. I tested a bottle after conditioning for 1 week and was nervous of its improvement. EXACTLY at 2 weeks (pure coincidence) the flavor smoothed out and it was very drinkable.
      The more I read about off flvaors, time is the best healer. If its not tasting right becuase of esters or dacytal, let it sit for a few months and come back. NEVER throw out a batch!

Vehicles
      white car black tires
      07-31-2009 01:14 PM #139
      Heck Yea!! its finally time to try my newest batch! woot woot
      Name: Creamy Goodness Golden ale
      Receipt: Beersmith.com
      Type: Full Grain
      Batch: 5 gallons
      I will let you guys know how it taste when I get home from work, or monday haha
      cheers
      Janky Garage inc. "Its Clean as Glass" Air Ride installs and more.... Give us a Call 619 961 0027
      Do the Senior Members now qualify for AARP?

15. 07-31-2009 02:33 PM #140
      I'm just about to get into home brewing and I am happy I found this post before I went out and bought a kit. Also happy because I would have bought the wrong book, which I'll be getting the Palmer one this weekend. First I want to read and research then brew, I'll keep watching this post. Its been great already!

Vehicles
      07-31-2009 02:53 PM #141
      Quote, originally posted by A3VRSIX »
      Heck Yea!! its finally time to try my newest batch! woot woot
      Name: Creamy Goodness Golden ale
      Receipt: Beersmith.com
      Type: Full Grain
      Batch: 5 gallons
      I will let you guys know how it taste when I get home from work, or monday haha
      cheers

[IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Make sure to post a picture of the beer in a fresh clear pint glass! I love seeing the color of a fresh beer just out of the bottle

17. 07-31-2009 03:17 PM #142
      Quote, originally posted by patrikman »
      I have the kit and all of the equipment already, any links to where I can purchase one of these kits you speak of?

unfortunately no, not for you.
      the only company i found that will resell the kits vs. put them on for you in their u-brew shop only ships within ONE canadian province, and it's not even mine! i had to phone them and plead my case and offer to pay whatever the shipping price was to get these three kits shipped to me on the west coast. somehow i don't think they're going to be too keen about international shipping.
      however, due to the limited shipping distance & the fact that the product is completely unknown where i am - but could prove popular - if the batches i put on turn out good i've been contemplating buying in bulk & reselling... but in order to re-ship one single kit i'd have to charge retail + s&h to me + s&h to you. if you're cool with the price tag of $57, then i can get one to ya.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      07-31-2009 04:10 PM #143
      Quote, originally posted by MrTopher »
      I'm just about to get into home brewing and I am happy I found this post before I went out and bought a kit. Also happy because I would have bought the wrong book, which I'll be getting the Palmer one this weekend. First I want to read and research then brew, I'll keep watching this post. Its been great already!

dont forget you can read the information on http://www.howtobrew.com [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] be sure to ask any questions on here or any one of the forums there are some really helpful guys on http://www.homebrewtalk.com

Vehicles
      white car black tires
      08-03-2009 11:19 AM #144
      Quote, originally posted by magics5rip »
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Make sure to post a picture of the beer in a fresh clear pint glass! I love seeing the color of a fresh beer just out of the bottle

Well sadly something went wrong in the process and I am forced to poor it all out. "Nobody Drink the Beer!" "the Beer is Bad" I dont know if I didnt get something sterilized or I just didnt do the full grain process correct. Popped the first one open poored it into a glass took a drink and it was sour and spoiled tasting.
      So I figure it was bound to happen not every batch is goning to turn out perfect.
      on to the next.
      Cheers!
      Janky Garage inc. "Its Clean as Glass" Air Ride installs and more.... Give us a Call 619 961 0027
      Do the Senior Members now qualify for AARP?

Vehicles
      08-03-2009 12:59 PM #145
      Quote, originally posted by A3VRSIX »

Well sadly something went wrong in the process and I am forced to poor it all out. "Nobody Drink the Beer!" "the Beer is Bad"

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear!
      I hope there is nothing wrong with mine as there was a piece of mold that I apparently missed when cleaning my lautering rig. I have read that mold won't hurt a beer (most of it probably died during the boil) but we'll see.
      Racked off my Bells Two Hearted clone, dry hopped and washed the yeast for future brews for about $8 in mason jars. Things are looking good thus far [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      08-03-2009 01:28 PM #146
      Two Hearted Clone? sounds delish

Vehicles
      08-03-2009 02:02 PM #147
      Quote, originally posted by patrikman »
      Two Hearted Clone? sounds delish

Yeah, it probably won't taste even close as I added #2 of pilsner grain, mashed at a higher temp and boiled for 90 minute instead of 60. So it'll probably be a bit maltier and hoppier than the two hearted but still enjoyable. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-03-2009 02:54 PM #148
      dude dont pour it all out...let it sit and see if it takes care of itself....Even then use it for cooking or shampoo or something DONT POUR IT! God kills kittens when you pour beer out

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-03-2009 02:55 PM #149
      Going to be making a clone recipe of Green Flash's West coast IPA. The Jamil show "can you brew it" covered this one and they supposedly brewed it spot on. I'll post up the recipe if anyone wants.

Vehicles
      08-03-2009 04:27 PM #150
      Going to be making a clone recipe of Green Flash's West coast IPA. The Jamil show "can you brew it" covered this one and they supposedly brewed it spot on. I'll post up the recipe if anyone wants.

Im always looking for good ipa recipes, post it up!
      My bell's "copy" was the following:
      10# american 2 row
      2# vienna
      2# Pilsner
      1# 24l Caramel
      Hops:
      3oz Centennial
      2oz Cascade
      Schedule: 90 min boil
      1.33oz Cent @ boil
      .33oz cent @ 75 min (to go)
      .33oz cent @ 45 min
      .75oz Cascade @ 30 min
      1tsp irish moss @ 15 min
      .25 cascade @ flame out
      Dry hop: 1 oz casade 1 oz centennial
      Yeast: White Labs WLP001 California Ale (should have used a different strand, Ale V or Wyeast 1056)
      Mash Temp: 155+ (too high for the alcohol content, should have mashed at around 150)
      Color looks pretty close already. It might be a little too dark so using 1/2 lb of caramel would fit the color better. Taste I cannot account for (yet.) Beer is in the secondary till Sunday when it goes into the keg. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast