Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Home brewers CHECK IN please!

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta 1.8T, 2011 Subaru WRX Premium
      08-25-2009 11:13 AM #176
      Quote, originally posted by yakuzaSoarer »
      Base recipe - yes. However, I modified the hop's to meet what I had available. I also used different yeast and bacteria for fermentation than what was recomended in the book.

yeah, man. ya know what i meant How'd it turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Settle down there junior planeteers. It was a joke.

2. 08-25-2009 05:33 PM #177
      Probably my best beer to date! Could use a bit more age to mellow, but its drinking great this hot Texas summer. I think it would be fun to brew three 5 gallon batches, age one with oak, ferment one with only Brett B, and ferment one with a whole concoction of bugs and maybe the dregs of a Cantillon or Orval, etc - then compare!

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta 1.8T, 2011 Subaru WRX Premium
      08-28-2009 01:37 PM #178
      can I ask everyone what their favorite Oktoberfest beer is? It is officially my favorite beer season here, and I've already stocked the fridge up with oktobers, pumpkins, etc. Anyone have favorites for this season?
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Settle down there junior planeteers. It was a joke.

4. 08-28-2009 02:17 PM #179
      my son wants me to make some root beer with him. I have been brewing beer for two years now. I have everything I need. However, I have never made root beer. Can someone point me in the right direction on purchasing a kit with directions, or where I can find some good directions with ingredients I need?

Thanks in advance.

The same goes for hard cider

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      08-28-2009 02:22 PM #180
      Quote, originally posted by MK4 Getta »
      my son wants me to make some root beer with him. I have been brewing beer for two years now. I have everything I need. However, I have never made root beer. Can someone point me in the right direction on purchasing a kit with directions, or where I can find some good directions with ingredients I need?

Thanks in advance.

The same goes for hard cider

my local brew shop has kits for root beer. I would stop by your local shop.

Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

6. 08-28-2009 02:38 PM #181
      Quote, originally posted by patrikman »

my local brew shop has kits for root beer. I would stop by your local shop.

i will, but my brewshop sucks!

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-28-2009 06:11 PM #182
      everyone come to the brewing network and listen live the show is about to start.....listen live and hit the chat button...I'm in there Broners & Brewbies

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/

Vehicles
      2004 R32 Factory Five Mk4 Roadster
      09-01-2009 11:59 PM #183
      Fairly new homebrewer here. I have a great local brew store. When I first started researching I was like wtf are these pellets, as the local store has only refrigerated whole hops. I have my fourth batch in the primary right now. I keep going back to a basic IPA recipe and I just change one or two things to see how it affects the overall taste. I did do a oatmeal stout for a friend and it turned out great after conditioning for two months.

For anyone looking to get started, I dont think you need a wort chiller. I go with the ice bath in the sink method and make sure the wort is well below 70 degrees before I transfer it to the primary fermenter. The downside I have noticed is that it takes the yeast a really long time to activate, so additional patience is needed.

I read somewhere that you can add a tsp of lemon juice to your bottling sugar and it will smooth out the carbonation of the beer. Has anyone tried this or know about this process? It sounds exactly like what my stout needed to be a true success

CHEERS!

This was a photo from my first batch.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      09-02-2009 01:00 AM #184
      I definitely recommend everyone new and old to the homebrew scene check out this site....you can download the archives and put them on your ipod....listen to them while your sitting in traffic...

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com

DO IT!

10. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      09-03-2009 08:35 PM #185
      Just ordered a brew kit from Midwest Supplies. I figured I drink enough decent beer, I might as well try to make it myself.

Looking forward to this!

Vehicles
      2004 R32 Factory Five Mk4 Roadster
      09-05-2009 02:36 PM #186
      Just racked my latest IPA, took a hydro reading and a taste. Tastes and smells like champagne!! Im going to love this batch.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      09-10-2009 06:32 AM #187
      A couple of recipes (not mine) for you guys...I'm making this next week to be ready for the new season....

delicious...I'll give you both extract and all-grain recipe's

Thunderstruck pumpkin ale

Recipe Type: Extract
      Yeast: WLP002 English Ale
      Yeast Starter: Yes - at least 1L
      Batch Size (Gallons): 5
      Original Gravity: 1.053
      Final Gravity: 1.015
      IBU: 32.1
      Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
      Color: 14.3
      Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
      Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 - rack off of trub to clear

EDIT: This recipe has been changed to reflect improvements over the years. The original recipe was way too aggressively hopped.

Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

6.25 lbs light DME
      1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
      8.0 oz Biscuit Malt
      4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked
      60.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned (Boil 60.0 min)
      .75 oz Goldings (5.0% AA 60.0 min) 13 IBU
      0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
      1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) or Fermentis S-04

Spread the pumpkin on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees F before adding to the brew.

Steep the grains for 20-30 minutes at about 155°F.

During clearing stage, add a spice tea of 1-1/2 tsp "Pumpkin Pie Spice" or Pampered Chef "Cinnamon Plus." Steep spices in 1 cup hot water for 10-15 minutes, cool then add. Consider adding the spice tea a little at a time to achieve the desired flavor profile.

There will be several inches of trub almost regardless of how you try to contain the pumpkin. Your yield may be slightly less than 5 gallons.

ALL GRAIN recipe

I'm going to mash the pumpkin like my friend at Alt Platz Brewery does. I may also use a dry yeast like S-04 instead of the WLP002. Here's the recipe:

21.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
      5.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
      2.50 lb Biscuit Malt
      1.00 lb Wheat, Flaked
      180.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned (a dozen 15oz cans)

2.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min)

0.75 oz Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 min)
      3 Tablets Whirlfloc (Boil 10.0 min)
      1.50 tsp Cloves, Crushed (Boil 5.0 min)
      1.50 tsp Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 min)
      3.00 tsp Allspice (Boil 5.0 min)
      3.00 tsp Cinnamon (Ground) (Boil 5.0 min)

Yeast - English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

Single infusion mash at 158° F for 45-60 mins
      Mash out at 168°F
      Sparge with 178°F water to collect 17.5g of wort
      Boil 60 mins

Est OG: 1.057
      Est FG: 1.018
      Est ABV: 4.99 %
      Bitterness: 13.0 IBU
      Est Color: 14.2 SRM

Consider omitting the spices on brew day and adding them as a "tea" during clearing. See the extract version above for notes.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      09-10-2009 06:38 AM #188
      And the wit bier recipe that I promised....Mine is finally ready and this thing is delicious! Keep in mind this one shown is a partial mash but instructions below tell you how to make it either all extract or all-grain

"Something witty"

Ingredients:

* 2 lbs. pale malt
      * 2 lbs. malted wheat
      * 1 lb. flaked wheat
      * 1 lb. flaked oats
      * 2 lbs. unhopped wheat dry malt extract (DME)
      * 0.75 oz East Kent Goldings hops
      * 0.5 oz Saaz hops
      * 1/8 oz. lightly crushed coriander seed
      * 1/8 oz crushed paradise seed
      * 1/2 oz. dried Curacao orange peel, shredded
      * 1 cup unhopped light dry malt extract to prime
      * 1.75 oz deez nutz

for steeping during secondary

zested peel from 1 large grapefruit and 2 large oranges
      1/8 oz crushed coriander
      1 teabag of chamomile or experiment if you want w/ other types.

Boil 1 cup of water for 5 minutes and steep all of those ingredients for 15 minutes. Then add to secondary until the flavor fits where you want it. In a few weeks the citrus and spices will really meld together and taste amazing.

Step by Step:
      Heat 9 quarts water to 163° F. Crush whole grains and add, with flaked grains as well, to liquor. Hold mash at 152° F for 90 minutes. Runoff and sparge with 12 quarts water at 170° F. Add DME, stir well, bring to a boil. Add East Kent Goldings hops, boil 45 minutes. Add Saaz hops, boil 15 minutes. Remove from heat, remove hops if possible. Add coriander and orange peel, steep 30 minutes.

Pour into fermenter along with enough pre-boiled and chilled water to make up 5.25 gallons. Cool to 70° F, pitch yeast. Ferment at 65° F for two weeks, rack to secondary and condition cooler (45° F) for three to four weeks. Prime with DME, bottle and age three to four weeks at 45° to 50° F. Serve at 40° F in a heavy glass tumbler with a side of deez nutz.

All-grain option: Replace the dried malt extract with another 1.5 lbs. each of pale malt and malted wheat. Increase mash water to 12 quarts and sparge water to 15 quarts. Mash time and temperatures will be the same. Proceed as above from boiling.

All-extract option: Omit pale and wheat malts. Steep flaked wheat and oats in 3 gallons at 150° F for 30 minutes. Remove grains. Increase DME to 5 lbs., proceed as above from boiling.

the deez nuts addition is most important so dont skip that

Modified by Residentevol at 6:39 AM 9-10-2009

14. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      09-10-2009 12:38 PM #189
      My first brew is in the primary fermenter.

Now, has anybody on here made Apfelwein?

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      09-11-2009 10:00 AM #190
      Quote, originally posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T »
      My first brew is in the primary fermenter.

Now, has anybody on here made Apfelwein?

no but, I have been thinking more and more about wine as harvest time approaches. I haven't brewed a batch all summer and it is driving me nuts. Hopefully I can find some time soon once I get a handle on my classes.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      09-13-2009 01:03 PM #191
      I've made the ed wort's apfelwein...At first I didnt think I liked it but damn it improves w/ some age....

Super strong and super easy to make... Here is a copy of the recipe w/ some info..

EdWort's Apfelwein
      Recipe Type: All Grain Yeast: Red Star Montrachet Yeast Starter: Nope Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Nope Batch Size (Gallons): 5 Original Gravity: 1.066 Final Gravity: 0.998 Boiling Time (Minutes): None Color: Champagne Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): At least 6 weeks at 74 degrees Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None

Apfelwein (German Hard Cider)

This took 1st Place at the 2007 Alamo City Cerveza Fest BJCP sanctioned competition for the Cider and Apple Wine Category and 2nd Place for Best of Show for Meads & Ciders!

Ingredients

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice
      2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
      1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

Equipment

5 Gallon Carboy (I use a Better Bottle)
      Carboy Cap or Stopper with Airlock
      Funnel

1. First sanitize the carboy, airlock, funnel, stopper or carboy cap.
      2. Open one gallon bottle of apple juice and pour half of it into the carboy using the funnel.
      3. Open one bag of Dextrose and carefully add it to the now half full bottle of apple juice. Shake well.
      4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3, then go to step 5.
      5. Pour in the mixture of Apple Juice and Dextrose from both bottles into the carboy.
      6. Add all but 1 quart of remaining 3 gallons of apple juice to the carboy.
      7. Open the packet of Montrachet Yeast and pour it into the neck of the funnel.
      8. Use the remaining quart of juice to wash down any yeast that sticks. I am able to fit all but 3 ounces of apple juice into a 5 gallon Better Bottle. You may need to be patient to let the foam die down from all shaking and pouring.
      9. Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka. No bacteria will live in vodka and if you get suckback, you just boosted the abv.

There’s no need to worry about filling up a carboy so full when you use Montrachet wine yeast. There is no Kreuzen, just a thin layer of bubbles
      I'm able to fit all but 4 oz. of my five gallons in the bottle. Ferment at room temperature.

It will become cloudy in a couple of days and remain so for a few weeks. In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary. It ferments out very dry (less than 0.999, see here)

If you want to bottle and carbonate, ¾ cup of corn sugar will work fine. Use as you would carbonate a batch of beer.

Remember to reserve judgment till after 3 glasses. It grows on you.

GENERAL QUESTIONS
      compiled by Dammed Squirrels from the first 37 pages of this thread. Thanks DS!

How does it taste?
      It ferments quite dry. Some people have tried different yeasts in order to achieve a sweeter taste. It may take you a few glasses to get a feel for the flavor. It is very reminiscent of a sort of apfelwein produced locally in Germany. There really is no comparable product in the United States. It's drier and less sweet than commercial hard ciders.

What is the difference between Apfelwein and hard cider?
      EdWort says, “Most ciders are a bit sweeter. Ciders and Apfelwein are about 6% abv, but I like the little boost I give it with 2 pounds of Dextrose. It adds no body or flavor and still tastes like Possmann's Apfelwein, only it will kick your butt much quicker.”

Is this like Apfelmost / Apfel Korn?
      No. Apfel Korn is a german liqeur made from wheat spirits. Apfelmost is spontaneously fermented with fresh-pressed apples or apple juice. It is probably similar, but the results may vary as a result of the spontaneous fermentation. Either way, Apfelmost is most certainly has a lower alcohol content since the initial gravity is not increased by the use of concentrate or corn sugar.

What’s the difference between apple juice and cider?
      Cider is made by pressing apples. Juice is then filtered to remove all of the stuff that makes it cloudy.

Can I use apple cider instead?
      Sure! You can use whatever you want. However, there is not enough information in this thread to give you any better details as to how it will turn out. I recommend starting a new thread or ask more experienced cider-makers.

What kind of Apple Juice should I use?
      Ideally, you want to use 100% natural apple juice with no preservatives. The only acceptable preservative is ascorbic acid, which is a source of vitamin C and does not affect fermentation. Pasteurized juice is preferred, since it will have less bacteria.

How much will this recipe cost me?
      5 gallons of Apfelwein can be made for between 20 and 25 dollars.

What else can you do with this recipe?
      EdWort says, "this makes a great Grog in the winter time. Take a quart in a sauce pan, add some rum, turbinado sugar, and float a cinnamon stick in it and simmer for a while. Serve hot in mugs. It'll warm you right up."

GENERAL WARNINGS

Excessive consumption of Apfelwein WILL get you drunk at warp speed.

Drink a quart of water and take 3 aspirin before going to sleep tol help reduce the effects of excessive Apfelwein consumption as well as the urge to call EdWort a M'F**kR!

17. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      09-14-2009 06:55 AM #192
      Quote, originally posted by Residentevol »
      I've made the ed wort's apfelwein...At first I didnt think I liked it but damn it improves w/ some age....

Super strong and super easy to make... Here is a copy of the recipe w/ some info..

EdWort's Apfelwein

That's the one. My wife read that and said I should make it. Got the stuff this weekend and put it together. Now the hard part...waiting.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      09-14-2009 09:02 AM #193
      Dont rush this one...i didnt really care for it until it hit about 2 months at least! My buddy has had his fermenting for almost 2 months and its still pushing c02 out the airlock! Oh and just my opinion carbing was a must for me w/ this one...

19. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      09-14-2009 03:35 PM #194
      Dont rush this one...i didnt really care for it until it hit about 2 months at least! My buddy has had his fermenting for almost 2 months and its still pushing c02 out the airlock!

That's what I understand. Leave in the carboy for moooonths...

Oh and just my opinion carbing was a must for me w/ this one...

Some appear to be doing this and some don't. I'll just have to wait and see what it's like in a few months.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      09-14-2009 08:15 PM #195
      exactly I took a few off and drank straight from the carboy *after chilling* and was like meh I want more apple...The c02 helps bring that tartness out to me but it's just my opinion of course..def try both its so cheap to make why not?

21. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      09-22-2009 02:45 PM #196
      Took a sample of my porter for testing and to taste...YUM! I'm excited now...need more patience...

22. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      10-12-2009 09:51 AM #197
      - Porter is bottled. Opened one after 8 days...
      - Apfelwein is still fermenting (has been 1 month today).

Onto #3 and #4.
      Bought 2 extract kits, one from Northern Brewing and one from Austin Homebrew.

Also bought a 30qt turkey fryer. Curious to see how this goes.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      10-26-2009 03:06 PM #198
      Just got pointed to this thread. I'm getting back into it in a few weeks, after a few years away. Not knowing any better I started all-grain before I realized kits were out. Dur.

Anyway, I'm planning on a gruit and an Xmas American wheat. Had a sizeable rosemary leaf stuck in my teeth while taking a swig of beer and the combination was inspiring. If it goes well, I'll post the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rub-ISH View Post
      I am now sucessfully motivated to get TED KENEDY levels of Sh!thoused and antagonize the antagonists...kudos

24. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      10-27-2009 08:26 AM #199
      Quote, originally posted by damion16v »
      Just got pointed to this thread. I'm getting back into it in a few weeks, after a few years away. Not knowing any better I started all-grain before I realized kits were out. Dur.

All in baby...all in! Make sure you have and understand everything you are about to do...before you do it. Should be fun

Anyway, I'm planning on a gruit and an Xmas American wheat. Had a sizeable rosemary leaf stuck in my teeth while taking a swig of beer and the combination was inspiring. If it goes well, I'll post the recipe.

Sounds good.

I did a Raspberry Wheat Ale for my wife 2 Saturdays ago and am brewing my Irish Red this coming Saturday. I'm going full boil as opposed to the 1.5 gallon boil that the recipe explains.

So, while not full grain, I'm doing a partial mash / full boil for the first time.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      11-11-2009 08:19 PM #200
      Thinking I'm going with a partial mash myself, mainly for time constraints. Wife got laid off/became self-employed ( ) last week, so living cheap AND well has been bumped up the list.

Flash, you in Columbus? If it turns out, maybe I could share a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rub-ISH View Post
      I am now sucessfully motivated to get TED KENEDY levels of Sh!thoused and antagonize the antagonists...kudos

26. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      11-12-2009 08:23 AM #201
      Thinking I'm going with a partial mash myself, mainly for time constraints. Wife got laid off/became self-employed ( ) last week, so living cheap AND well has been bumped up the list.

Great, there's someone else in the "wife laid off" club. I know what you mean. Once you get some equipment brewing seems to be pretty inexpensive.

Flash, you in Columbus? If it turns out, maybe I could share a bottle.

Rural central Ohio, but work in Columbus.

11-23-2009 12:40 AM #202
      FInally went and got a kit and some hops to try my first batch. GOnna borrow my neighbor's stuff and see if it is something I want to try again before getting all the equipment. Pretty excited.
      It's all about squats and deads.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      11-23-2009 02:23 AM #203
      your gonna be hooked I promise!

Vehicles
      03 jetta wagon, 90 'burb v1500, 99 ZG1000, 07 bread loaf
      11-23-2009 02:46 AM #204
      I decided to try a spin on Edwart's apfelwein tonight...

5gl tree top juice
      2 lbs of brown sugar
      5 gr of cote des blancs yeast

I'm going to see if my batch can be saved cos my 11 mo pulled out the airlock and was waving it around...I re sterilized the lid, airlock and stopper and I'm really hoping that nothing bad got in there. If not, I plan on being over new years.

30. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      11-23-2009 06:51 AM #205
      your gonna be hooked I promise!

No kidding.

I started this in September brewing a simple extract kit (which turned out very well) and have moved to partial mash.

This weekend I'll be brewing my 5th brew.

31. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      11-23-2009 06:52 AM #206
      Quote, originally posted by kish53a »
      I decided to try a spin on Edwart's apfelwein tonight...

5gl tree top juice
      2 lbs of brown sugar
      5 gr of cote des blancs yeast

I'm going to see if my batch can be saved cos my 11 mo pulled out the airlock and was waving it around...I re sterilized the lid, airlock and stopper and I'm really hoping that nothing bad got in there. If not, I plan on being over new years.

If you were under active fermentation, you are probably okay.

Vehicles
      2006.5 Rabbit 4 door, 2001 Audi A4 1.8t QT
      11-23-2009 09:01 AM #207
      Finally got a chance to brew again. My first bell-two hearted had an OG that was way too low and a hop profile that drifted a little too high. I attributed this to the high mash temp (i saw about 160 deg F at the END of the mash!)

This time, mash was at 150 at the end, OG sat at about 1.056 and the hop profile was adjusted anticipating a lower OG. So instead of 100 ibu on a 1.046 OG beer, I lowed the ibu by 25 points and got 10 more gravity points. So it should lead to an overall better beer.

My yeast washing seems to have been a failure. I wiil try reactivating one more mason jar of the yeast before dumping the rest of it. Safeale-05 had to save my ass this time

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      11-23-2009 10:24 AM #208
      hey guys I have just a quick question. I brewed an IPA last weekend from a kit. I am lazy I know, I just can't afford to get some extra stuff for partail or full mash yet.

I have had it in the closet in a primary for a week now and I haven't heard it percolate at all. should I be worried? I planned on racking it at 10 days (the day before thnaksgiving as I will be out of town). is that too soon? is there anything I can do at that time to make sure the batch is okay?

everything went off without a hitch, I pitched the yeast at 65 degrees and I added a bit of water. welll I had a couple ounces too many because my OG is a hair on the low side but barely. should I be worried?

Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit 1Z , 1984 Rabbit 2Z
      11-23-2009 10:47 AM #209
      I'd be worried! You need to pitch more yeast and get her going!

Vehicles
      2006.5 Rabbit 4 door, 2001 Audi A4 1.8t QT
      11-23-2009 10:48 AM #210
      I'd be worried if it wasn't at a full raging fermentation after 24 hours. I'd say you are underpitched as well.

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast