Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Over the Range Microwave vs Vent Hood over Range

1. 04-11-2009 05:54 PM #1
      Is the Vent hood better in every situation? Do any microwaves provide enough ventilation?

Anyone have any pictures?

Vehicles
      1998 S/C GLX Jetta, Jeep Cherokee, 2007 Rabbit
      04-11-2009 07:58 PM #2
      I too am curious about this, also for home resale purposes

Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      04-12-2009 03:33 PM #3
      From what I've seen, the over the range microwaves pull out just as much air as a standard vent hood.

I'm probably going to get an over the range microwave at some point. With a small kitchen, a microwave just takes up too much counter space.

4. 04-12-2009 04:10 PM #4
      It all depends on how much venting suits your cooking needs. A standard over the range microwave/vent hood draws around 300 cfm, 400 cfm on the high end for something better. That doesn't cut it for me and I like to have more coverage and draw. Plus having the microware over the range is a terrible location for me. For a smaller kitchen, I can see how it would be a space saver.

I put in a Zephyr Hurricane which draws 695 cfm.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-13-2009 09:15 AM #5
      We have a microhood and it's great, it's really nice to free up the counter space. This is the one we have:

1.8 cubic feet, 4 fan speeds, a steel rack in the middle so you can cook more, their AccuWave technology is awesome and other handy features. It is, by far, the best microwave I've ever used and it does a great job sucking.

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      04-13-2009 09:35 AM #6
      Doesn't this also depend on whether the hood is vented outdoors or just runs the air through a filter and back into the same room? Our hood is vented outdoors and despite it being a 22 year old average hood, I think it does a good job. Whenever I've been in kitchens with the hood vented back into the room, I thought they did a poor job.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-13-2009 09:42 AM #7
      Ours is convertible so it can either vent out or recirculate, and it has 2 charcoal filters. I honestly don't know how they set it up but I'm assuming that it recirculates since there is no ducting in the cabinet above the micro. We haven't had any issues with it not doing it's job well.

8. 04-13-2009 09:51 AM #8
      We had a microwave over the stove in our old house, and our new house has a pop-up downdraft hood that vents outside.

The downdraft vent is amazing. When we have it on full speed, we can barely smell what we're cooking. The microwave vent recirculated air, and wasn't anywhere near as effective.

ROB

9. 04-13-2009 09:56 AM #9
      I never understood why people would put a microwave on the counter, when creating a updated kitchen.

I have seen kitchens in $2 Million homes with microwaves on the counter. You would think they could build it into the wall above an oven, or something.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-13-2009 10:46 AM #10
      Chances are the average $2 Million kitchen has the countertop space for a microwave.

04-13-2009 11:07 AM #11
      There are two main reasons for not putting a microwave above the cooktop:

1. Design. You can't have a fancy/decorative hood with a microwave.
      2. Space. If you're one of those people that cook with tall pots (for sauce or steaming crabs), there's usually not enough space to fit the pot on the stove if you've just retrofitted a microwave into an area where there previously was just a hood.

Otherwise, a hood vents just as well as a microwave vent fan. If the hood recirculates, the microwave replacing it will probably need to recirculate as well. Same goes for the exterior exhaust.

If I had the space, I'd do the Sharp microwave drawer. I hate seeing a microwave above the stove.

Modified by peecee at 2:56 PM 4-16-2009

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      04-13-2009 11:12 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by peecee »
      There are two main reasons for not putting a microwave above the cooktop:

and #3; your wife (and/or your children) isn't 6' tall and thus can't see what is going on inside the microwave and doesn't want to spill a big bowl of hot liquid on herself taking it down from over her head.

Yes, there are good reasons why hood microwaves are not suitable for everyone. And chances are a big kitchen will have the space for one on the counter anyway.

Modified by spockcat at 11:13 AM 4-13-2009

04-13-2009 11:15 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by spockcat »

and #3; your wife (and/or your children) isn't 6' tall and thus can't see what is going on inside the microwave and doesn't want to spill a big bowl of hot liquid on herself taking it down from over her head.

Yes, there are good reasons why hood microwaves are not suitable for everyone. And chances are a big kitchen will have the space for one on the counter anyway.

Hahaha! Forgot that one. Although an argument could be made to put the microwave up high so your kids don't use it. Sometimes space is limited though, and above the stove is the only really convenient option.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-13-2009 11:54 AM #14
      That is my wife's main complaint with the microhood actually, she's only 5'4" and can't see into bowls.

Modified by Hostile at 11:55 AM 4-13-2009

Vehicles
      '11 Prius, '13 Rav4, '98 C2500 454 Burp
      04-13-2009 12:22 PM #15
      We have nearly always had microwaves with the vents built in. When we design our new kitchen we will put a normal hood above the stove. The primary reason is that anything on the front half of the stove doesn't ever get sucked in the vents and the front of the microwave and cabinets just get covered in steam.
      <insert comment here>

Vehicles
      2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 BlueTEC
      04-13-2009 12:35 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by spockcat »

I'm not a woman, nor am I a child, but I'm not 6' tall either and that's why I don't like OTR microwaves. Hot food at face level... hell no!

Chris
      "All hail Dr. Chris, doctor of money medicine!" --Tornado2dr
      "annuity = financial abortion." --jnm2.0t

17. 04-15-2009 06:15 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by eluwak »
      The primary reason is that anything on the front half of the stove doesn't ever get sucked in the vents and the front of the microwave and cabinets just get covered in steam.

Every time I have seen one of these in action I always noticed the same thing. I can not understand besides the space saving why anyone would put one it. My mom got one a couple of years ago and now regrets it.

Another thing about them is that if you have a high output range or cook top a lot of micro hoods can not keep up with them.

Vehicles
      a thumper and a diesel wagon...
      04-15-2009 10:25 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by peecee »

2. Space. If you're one of those people that cook with tall pots (for sauce or steaming crabs), there's usually not enough space to fit the pot on the stove if you've just retrofitted a microwave into an area where there previously was just a hood.

Huh? How tall are your pots? I would need 21" tall pots to NOT fit on the stove.

I'm 6 feet tall, but my Mom isn't (not close) and she hasn't complained when she visits.

“Supermoto bikes exist so that 40 year old men who know better can act like total a--holes.”

"Crossfit is the meatspin.com of circuit training."

19. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-16-2009 07:36 AM #19
      My wife is 5' tall and much prefers our hood/microwave over the countertop setup we had before.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-16-2009 09:16 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by Hostile »
      That is my wife's main complaint with the microhood actually, she's only 5'4" and can't see into bowls.

I should expand that even with that complaint she still much prefers the microhood.

21. 04-16-2009 01:01 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by atchudy »
      I never understood why people would put a microwave on the counter, when creating a updated kitchen.

I have seen kitchens in $2 Million homes with microwaves on the counter. You would think they could build it into the wall above an oven, or something.

Huh?

My opinion is that people who love cooking and have nice kitchens would never put a microwave over their range.

A microwave over the range would just kill everything.

Modified by joness0154 at 5:51 PM 4-16-2009

04-16-2009 02:56 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by ab8349 »
      Huh? How tall are your pots? I would need 21" tall pots to NOT fit on the stove.

I'm 6 feet tall, but my Mom isn't (not close) and she hasn't complained when she visits.

I have a pot that is exactly 21" tall for steaming crabs. The space between the cooktop and the bottom of the microwave is 22", and the handle for the pot lid is about an inch tall, so I really can't fit the pot on the cooktop with the lid on it.

Granted, most of the time I steam crabs outside on my purpose-built steamer, but it's nice to be able to steam them inside when it's raining.

The picture posted by jones is exactly what I'm talking about. That is awesome.

23. 04-16-2009 08:59 PM #23
      i would never in a million years have a microwave over my range.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-16-2009 09:15 PM #24
      I was looking at our microhood tonight and it only comes out halfway over the range. The 2 front burners aren't underneath it.

25. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      04-17-2009 05:04 PM #25
      It depends on how good ventilation is in your house. Most of these microhood pulling 400 cfm+ is sufficient for general cooking.

If you do a lot of indoor grilling, smoking, or frying consider getting a bigger hood that can draw more air.

I'm using a microhood and it does a great job when I have the window open to create air flow.