Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 02M 6 speed transmission into Rabbit Mk1

Vehicles
      1981 CrewCab Pickup w/ chipped 1Z TDI/6 Spd. Tran.
      08-17-2009 11:33 PM #36
      I will try to get to measurements of the driver's side mount, but am leaving on an extended trip soon, so not likely until October.

If you look way up above to the build of this mount, I think you can pretty much piece it together. i used 1 1/2" x 3" tube and 3/16" plate.

And, there is a 3/16" piece between the tube and the round original motor mount. This piece is just the width of the original motor mount and just makes a bit more room to slide the original mount back between the mount brackets.

As mentioned above, a 1" x 2" or 1' X 3" tube might fit better between the two lower mount bolts...but makes it harder to connect to the original round 020 mount...

Until later...

Modified by CrewCabCaddy at 8:38 PM 8-17-2009

Keep on Keepin' On

2. 08-29-2009 05:22 PM #37
      I WANT MORE. Please. would you be willing to make a set of mounts to sell?

Vehicles
      08-30-2009 01:05 PM #38
      Hmmmmm!

Once I return in October, for a small fee I would definitely be willing to make cardboard templates of each part. Then you could take pictures and templates to a shop and have them welded up.

I would have to check to see if my business liability insurance would cover me for making automotive parts...I am guessing not...but eventually would like to get into some fabrication work so I'll try to check it out...but, it'll have to wait until October.

Question is whether I can make them at a price anyone can afford. Probably take me $50 in supplies (steel, tool attachments/blades, welding wire, welding gas, and paint). Figure as a rough estimate a day to cut steel for 6 mounts and another day to drill and weld them up...so figure 16 hours divided by 6 is 2.7...times $75 per hour is $200 labor plus $10 supplies is $210 each plus $15-$20 shipping...total of about $230 per set painted...probably be another $10 or $20 for powder coating.

Max. of $250 per set for powder coated...maybe less since it may not take a whole day to cut the steel

That is actually a pretty good price given it took me a couple weeks to figure out and create mine. But can anyone afford it...that is the ultimate question.

If I did do this, I would have to work with first set to verify fit/function in another vehicle, so first person would have work with me and be very patient

Modified by CrewCabCaddy at 1:11 PM 9-3-2009

Keep on Keepin' On

4. 08-31-2009 12:37 AM #39
      If you don't want to make them I would pay a small fee for the templates I have a guy that would weld them I would just have to come up with the steel and cut it.

Vehicles
      89 Cabriolet, 90 Westfalia, 91 Gti
      09-03-2009 03:36 PM #40
      Nicely done!

No Heatshield for the cabling?

Vehicles
      09-03-2009 04:08 PM #41
      Thanks DubPhreek

Actually, never thought about heat shielding in the location you pictured above between firewall and shift box. by this distance away from the turbo, the exhaust pipe is "relatively" cool and with the space between the pipe and cables, I would not expect too much heat getting to the cables...

however, now that you brought it up, I'll check the temp of cables next time I drive in hot weather...and see if this might be a problem..

I might be able to buy some of the foil heat reflecting material and do a simple wrap of the cables.

I'll report back after I check the cable temp.

Keep on Keepin' On

Vehicles
      89 Cabriolet, 90 Westfalia, 91 Gti
      09-03-2009 04:38 PM #42
      I recently converted to 02J in my 91 gti.. was wonderin what sorta heat those things saw.. in the MKII there's a oe heat shield that I'd taken down during the restore.. tossed that back in last night.. saw your post and was amazed at the work.

You must have one of those lazer beam heat sensors..

Modified by DubPhreek at 1:40 PM 9-3-2009

8. 09-11-2009 03:46 PM #43
      be very interested in either templates or the actual mounts if you could make them up, though shipping would be pricey.

Vehicles
      '83 Rabbit GTI
      09-13-2009 12:42 PM #44
      Not if he sends them to me, and we meet up.

10. 09-13-2009 12:58 PM #45
      If anyone is interested I have 108mm 33 spline inboard CVs

11. 09-15-2009 02:51 PM #46
      that'd be helpful or if he can have them done by thanks giving and my brother is over in the states.

Vehicles
      16v Scirocco x 5 MKI GTI, MKII GTI 55 CHEVY
      01-07-2010 05:54 PM #47
      Any updates to this swap? I have the pieces to swap a 02M into my MKI GTI 16V and wondering if it is worth it?

Vehicles
      03-03-2010 01:12 AM #48
      It is WELL worth the swap. I love my 6-spd...now after about 15,000 miles or so. When combined with computer chip and/or injectors, this DRW allows cruising at 75 mph at about 2300 to 2400 rpm, well within the sweet spot for my 1Z TDI and the chip allows acceleration up all freeway hills in 6th gear. Stock ECU just barely holds speed on hills at 70 mph in 6th.

0-60 is just 2nd and 3rd gears if I push the RPM up to near 3800 or so in 3rd...

The engine/tranny combo is pretty amazing after driving this rig with the stock 1.6 diesel for 4+ years.

Keep on Keepin' On

Vehicles
      08-05-2010 11:49 AM #49
      Aug. 2010 update

I got the vehicle speed sensor hooked up awhile ago, and that smoothed things out a bit. No more fault codes in the ECU. With all the changes, i have gone from 32 mpg with the 020 tranny to 40+ mpg now.

With the vehicle speed sensor hooked up, and a 1991/1992 cabriolet steering column installed (w/ cruise control stalk), I hooked up the 1991 cruise switch to the 1996 passat ECU cruise control wires and lo and behold...I have cruise control in my 1981 rabbit...really cool. I hope to hook up the 1991/92 cabriolet airbag too.

I still have the harmonic vibration at about 2200 rpm. Have played with motor mounts a bit but it appears vibration is from inside the tranny...so will likely have to rebuild the tranny...guess it was too good of a deal from Denon Performance Parts up in B.C.

I put 195/70/14 tires on (playing with ride height/tire sizes) and I can now cruise at 75 mph @ 2300 rpm in 6th. I actually only use 6th on the 70 mph stretches of freeway and with the chipped ECU it climbs all the hills with the cruise on in 6th, so enough power to site and fly...assuming traffic gets out of the way. Once I get the axles balanced, I should be able to cruise @ 85 or 90 in the 2400 to 2500 rpm range...assuming I am traveling through Montana, of course .

Side note...if you create your own axles...have them balanced before install. I will also likely balance my flywheel clutch next time I remove the tranny.

Installed 96 passat brake booster and master cylinder and hooked up the fluid reservoir level sensor to the rabbit oil idiot light...and installed 16v rear brake proportioning valves. The reservoir has the spigot for connection to the hydraulic clutch master cylinder, so disconnected the 96 civic clutch fluid reservoir I had installed and connected clutch master cylinder to the 96 passat reservoir.

Working on additional 1" front and 1.5" rear lift (top of front fender well is at about 26.5" now and shooting for 27.5" to 28" rear fender well height). Put in Hella fog light grill and hooked up the lights to a factory fog switch. Installed A-pillar guage pod with EGT and boost guages...still need to hook up the guages. After guage hook up, will be customizing some Zender side skirts to fit the crew cab configuration. Found door cards I wanted so will be installing them along with sound deadening in the doors and roof...then exterior paint/bedliner as soon as $ allows.

Looks like the factory undercoating is peeling off, so need a pressure wash and new undercoating too...then hopefully I can drive it for awhile!!!
      Last edited by CrewCabCaddy; 08-08-2010 at 10:05 PM.
      Keep on Keepin' On

Vehicles
      12-19-2011 11:47 AM #50
      Dec. 2011 Update,

Been driving the TDI/02M as my every day vehicle for nearly two years now since swap. Probably 40,000 miles or more. I still love the combination, peppy (with chip) AND fuel efficient.

May have a problem with driver's side (short axle) cv/axle angle such that the axle is at enough of an angle that it ruins the CV boot. It lasted quite a while, but noticed the other day the boot was gone...so need to look into that a bit to see if it just ripped off, or if there is something rubbing somewhere that can be fixed....or not...will report if an issue.

Boost gauge in place...still wating to purchase EGT probe from guy on TDI Club forums and get that installed. Been too busy making a living to do much work on the Crew Cab

Been ogling some new larger injectors to boost HP and torque a bit more...seems one can never have quite enough oomph. and I keep wondering how much damage a larger tubo would really do

I was going to paint this truck 5 years ago...so maybe I should work on that next...getting heat in the shop this month, so painting the rig myself becomes more possible. All I need now is more money and time.

Cheers
      Last edited by CrewCabCaddy; 12-19-2011 at 11:52 AM.
      Keep on Keepin' On

Vehicles
      2004 vw jetta wagon, 1990 vw jetta coupe
      04-30-2012 12:30 AM #51
      Any update on this.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron@RMAMotorsport View Post
      real deal<p>After spending two months in the mk3 forum it drove into the woods and set fire to itself.

Vehicles
      08-13-2012 06:28 AM #52
      August 2012 Update:

Everything is working great. Tranny did indeed have issues when I bought it, and I will need to rebuild soon, but that has nothing to do with the swap. Clutch and axles are all working well. Still very much enjoy the chipped TDI and 02M/DRW combination. No problems with the custom tranny/motor mounts I fabbed up. No other issues related to the tranny install.
      Keep on Keepin' On

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta; 1985 VW Cabriolet; 1993 VW Cabriolet; 1984 VW Gti.; 1988 VW Golf
      09-26-2012 07:09 AM #53
      I love the Mk1 anyway you slice 'em.

Vehicles
      09-26-2012 12:12 PM #54
      In terms of just pure simple efficient transportation, the early 1980's diesel rabbit, jetta, and pickup were the epitome.

Sept. 2012 Update:

I decided to have the tranny ripped open to inspect and if it is reasonable, to rebuild it. If it is too damaged for rebuild, i will buy another and have the Peloquin pulled out of the old and installed in the new.

Dec. 2012 Update:
      Worn out bearings, hub, and outer CVs (possible due to high torque and extra weight of my crew cab caddy) took all the money for awhile, so still driving the tranny as is. Plan on driving until tranny either gets really bad or after some body work and paint.

Special Note: 1996 B4 Passat outer CV joints fit the MK1 axles and the Scirrocco 16V (large CV) spindle and hopefully provide more strength, as I wore through my outer 16V CVs in a couple years with the increased torque and weight.
      Last edited by CrewCabCaddy; 12-06-2012 at 02:15 AM.
      Keep on Keepin' On

20. 12-05-2012 02:04 PM #55
      Hi I would like to know if you would recommend this swap for me in my 79 rabbit. I have a swapped 1.8t with a GT28RS build pushing over 300hp. I had an 02A, did a near identical build with the master cylinder and hydraulic clutch without even seeing yours - i was boosting around and stripped 3rd gear. I was planning to change all the gear ratios in the tranny anyways because they were too short. (ie 4000rpm in 5th doing 100km/h)

But long story short, i will not be putting in a peloquin LSD in the 6 speed if i plan to go ahead with the swap because i dont currently have the cash flow just finishing the turbo build. Am i going to just be 1 tire fire all the time with this setup?

My other option is to rebuild my old tranny (02A) which has a peloquin lsd already with a vr6 gearset so i can get my rpms down on the highway. The costs of each are significantly different as im sure you realize,

The only way I would justify it would be that the car would sell at a higher price down the road with a 6speed and i could sell the current tranny with the stripped gear and peloquin and my brand freaking new fx400 clutch for around $1200.

If i go ahead with it, this thread will prove to be extremely helpful. Il also be sending you a PM.

thanks

Vehicles
      12-06-2012 02:09 AM #56
      you have PM
      Keep on Keepin' On

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12