Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: blank screen on laptop, only shows mouse cursor?

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      04-14-2009 09:58 AM #1
      last week my laptop shut itself off 3 times within 20 minutes of each other, tried a new power cord and all was well.

over the weekend computer was working fine then try to fire up skype, computer freezes, power down then try to restart and only get a black screen showing the mouse cursor.

i tried starting in each of the different safe modes to no avail. powered down, held the Function key and powered up, ran every test under available it said all systems were ok, thought it may have fixed it self and now still get the black screen with just the mouse cursor.

its a dell inspiron 6400 laptop running windows xp, and have no idea what to do now. I'm hoping at this point to remove the hard drive and turn it into an external hard drive in the hopes of recovering my pics, files etc...

any help or suggetions on what to try or what could be the problem? i offer 2400 internet points!! thank you

gamertag: danflanz

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Ford Focus
      04-14-2009 02:11 PM #2
      In my experience when I have a screen like that, its a virus. You'll have to reload XP on it. At least that's what I would do.

Vehicles
      2014 Wrangler
      04-14-2009 03:12 PM #3
      can you hit ctrl-alt-del and bring up task manager? If so, does it show explorer.exe running? If it's not, you can go under file, new task, run and type in explorer.exe and it should start up.

4. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      04-14-2009 05:55 PM #4
      If you got a cursor means you are in Windows but Explorer which runs the desktop is not showing up.

Restart your PC and hit F5 constantly on bootup until you get to Windows Safe mode.

Boot Windows in Safe mode and see if it starts up fine. Then you may need to back up your stuff and look into fixing it or recovery.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      04-14-2009 08:43 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by Vision33r »
      If you got a cursor means you are in Windows but Explorer which runs the desktop is not showing up.

Restart your PC and hit F5 constantly on bootup until you get to Windows Safe mode.

Boot Windows in Safe mode and see if it starts up fine. Then you may need to back up your stuff and look into fixing it or recovery.

Thank you for the suggestion, I tried again however I'm still getting the blank screen with just the mouse cursor. I was unable to do a ctrl+alt+del, nothing happend. I also tried to run in safe mode to get to the same black screen. I'm going to try to remove the hard drive, save all my documents (hopefully if it works like I hope) and then i'll try a complete system reconfig.

I'm open to any suggestions and thank you for all your help so far

Vehicles
      2003 BMW 330i, 2002 Toyota Appliance
      04-14-2009 08:58 PM #6
      There are a million causes for this. Here they are: http://www.google.com/search?q...age=1
      I always plug in USBs right the first time.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      04-14-2009 09:13 PM #7
      thank you, i found a few other things i'll try after i can take out the hard drive and save all my files, i'll post an update incase anyone in the future has this same issue and i get lucky enough to fix it