Here's a little background on me. The first car I learned how to drive on was an '88 Scirocco. In high school, my first car was a '78 Buick Regal with a FBSS 2 hydraulic pump setup. I was tottally into both the VW and lowrider scene.
Fast forward to now. I got bit by the Air Suspension bug really bad and decided to combine both worlds! So I've decided to bag my MKV Rabbit.
Here's my parts list and where/who I've ordered through:
-Easy Street Digital Air Management Kit - Ordered through Dotcomparts.com
-Front and Rear Bagyards - Ordered through Andrew@OpenRoad
-Rear Bilstein shocks - Ordered through MJM Autohaus
-Misc Fittings and Hoses- Ordered through AirRideFittings.com
-Aluminum Slim Tank - Ordered through eBay
-Amp Wiring Kit - Ordered through eBay(bad idea, buy the good stuff!)
The Rabbit in question:
Officially started today. I need to keep my spare, so like Fuxton's GTi install, by euro inc. I took the main idea and ran with it.
Next update, I will install the Auto Pilot brain.
This is where I'm mounting the Auto Pilot brain and relay.
Cut a piece of 1/2" mdf board. I'll velcro the board to the cars carpet, so I can remove it to access the tailight bulb
Everything mounted. Wiring will be cleaned up when I start running them.
I'll have another cover carpeted to cover the electronics and wiring to clean it up.
Next update, I will be test fitting the tank.
Test fit looks good!
Next update, I will be mounting all the components.
Got the front Bagyards!
I love the Vegas theme!
After 8 months of being Mr. Mom of 2 boys(5&2) and the wife going to school fulltime, winter projects were at a stand still. Now that the wife is on break and the weather warmed up, I was able to put in some work.
I scratched the idea of mounting the brain and relay on the side in hopes of a future sub enclosure. This is the final box design with all of the components mounted.
Next update, I will be running the controller, main power, and accessory wires.
I ran all my power and controller wires down the driver side rail. I chose the cubby compartment, under the headlight switch, for the controller. I also left a lot of the slack for the controller in there. I did it so I can take the controller out and control the car from about 6-7ft from the driver door.
Here is the driver's view of the controller in the cubby.
Next update, I will be connecting all the power wires and doing a system check for leaks.
I powered up my system and tested for air leaks. I used fuse #42 for the Auto Pilot brain. It's a 30amp fuse for the Cigerette lighter and accessory outlets. I used an add a circuit with a 5amp fuse from Pep Boys. It made the install clean and easier.
All systems go!
Next update, I will be installing the rear bags, lines and shocks
Gotta love aftermarket parts!
Here's a comparison between the Ksports rear spring and a Bagyard rear bag.
Ksports rear shock and a Bilstein rear shock.
First off, the nutserts were bigger than the hole in the nub. So I had to run to Home Depot and buy a 1/2" drill bit and drill out the hole bigger. I gotta say the nutserts were a pain to install!!! That was the hardest part of the rears. Once in everything went smoothly! Bolt to bag distance.
I ran out of time and still gotta run the lines.
Next update, I will run the rear lines and test for leaks.
Ran the 1/4" rear lines. You know the saying, what goes up must come down! In our case what goes down, must come up or else we can't drive!
This is with around 60psi.
I left the rears aired to around 50psi overnight. I checked them this morning and I'm happy to report they were still 50psi!
Next update, I will start on the Notch, lines and fronts after Easter.
Started the notch and was completed this past Wednesday.
Next update, I will install the fronts, run the lines, and test for leaks.
Installed the fronts and ran the lines. Awesome, the fronts held air overnight!!!
Next update, I will finish the final touches in the hatch.
Made the box on the right to hold the OEM jack and other tools.
Trimmed the rear hatch cover to fit over the tank.
The final look.
All the hard stuff is done! I still have four things left to do. Next update I will cut a hole for the pump's filter, put the jack and tools in the box, velcro the boxes and tank down and camber the rears.
Did three out the four final touches I needed to do.
I measured wrong when installing the pump and the filter did not fit, so I cut a hole for the pumps filter.
I mounted the jack and tools in their box, after all what's the purpose of keeping the spare without it's tools! What I did was cut the first layer of foam for the bottom of the box. Next I layed out how I wanted the jack and tools to fit on the second layer of foam then cut that foam to their shape so they stay put. Final layer of foam is the top, to cover it all.
I painted the tank black and velcroed it down along with the component box and jack/tools box.
All that's left to do is camber my rears then I'm finally done!
Wow after almost a year of parts collecting, I can officially call my MKV Rabbit "Hops!" It is so rewarding doing this install!!!
Thanks to ALL for the compliments and answering my questions!
Finally dialed in some camber in the rear yesterday. First I got the right side even with the left. Then from there I did a 1/8th turn on both sides. My rear wheel's lip now tucks in the fender. I wish I did this earlier, now my driver fender is out of shape and my passenger has rubber burn marks.