Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our Portland home

1. 10-13-2009 06:33 PM #26
      where in portland is that, looks like outer se??

Vehicles
      2011 CW Autobahn, DSG
      10-14-2009 08:22 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by TheGreenspanator »
      http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/
      Go big or go home [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

OMG, that first pic is it. Except mine has pink and white tile floor.

10-14-2009 04:29 PM #28
      Looks good!
      Quick one about the furnace though... does your furnace have 1 pipe that goes to the outside or 2? If its only one, you may need to create an opening in the wall/door to allow air in to ensure complete combustion. Just noticed there is a water heater there as well... if it is completely enclosed you need to make an opening to allow air to come in so it isn't producing carbon monoxide and aldehydes.

Vehicles
      71 nova, 06 honda pilot, 94 honda civic
      10-14-2009 05:04 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by boraIV »
      Everything looks good so far..
      what's going on in the right side of this photo... something is crooked.

Thanks. If your your talking about the wall around the furnace its a three sided cover not nailed to the wall. Its prob has debris under it making it crooked.
      Quote, originally posted by Rlyeezz2 »
      where in portland is that, looks like outer se??

Yep almost towards Gresham.
      Quote, originally posted by overby »
      Looks good!
      Quick one about the furnace though... does your furnace have 1 pipe that goes to the outside or 2? If its only one, you may need to create an opening in the wall/door to allow air in to ensure complete combustion. Just noticed there is a water heater there as well... if it is completely enclosed you need to make an opening to allow air to come in so it isn't producing carbon monoxide and aldehydes.

Thanks for the info. It has two pipes going up but ill double check them. I left a 5 inch gap on the back side and a 2 inch gap along the top. Its a pull away false wall. Thanks for the info on the water heater too! there is a window in that room so ill prop it open.
      Here are a few pics of the garage so far. Its taken with my Iphone so the color is off. Looks way better in person.

Im going to try to finish painting this weekend. Then next is lighting and flooring. I have a sample piece coming from floorjunkies.com Ill see how I like it.
      This is where i got my inspiration from.
      You have to look for the positive in every situation of your life.

10-14-2009 10:28 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by Rabbitguy21 »

Thanks for the info. It has two pipes going up but ill double check them. I left a 5 inch gap on the back side and a 2 inch gap along the top. Its a pull away false wall. Thanks for the info on the water heater too! there is a window in that room so ill prop it open.

I can't be sure without actually seeing it, but if both pipes on your furnace go outside, then no air is required from the room for combustion, it takes all the air it needs from outside.
      For your water heater you can even put a grate into the wall, like a 1'x1' grate just to be safe.

6. 10-16-2009 09:03 AM #31
      gets better every time I look. keep up the good work [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Benny and the jets - Just your average air cooled 911 adventure
      Shop Truck - Round 3: Back With a Vengeance?!

Vehicles
      2002 Nissan Frontier, mk1 cabby 16v
      10-20-2009 12:12 AM #32
      looks good, man [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      04-30-2010 01:42 PM #33
      I did some more work. I built a new fence and planted some new palms. I still have lots of work to do in the yard, but I've only been at my house for 8 months.
      Crappy old fence

New fence

New palms

Next up I'm going to brick my lamp post and get a new light for the top of it. Also get a matching porch light. I want to build an outdoor kitchen, I should have time to build it next month or so. I have a deposit down for Black Granite counter tops so those should be getting done soon. Ill post more pictures later.

Modified by Rabbitguy21 at 10:44 AM 4-30-2010

Vehicles
      04-30-2010 01:46 PM #34
      Here's a current pic. were going to be getting new plants on the right side of the house. I want to do a tropical theme. All the plants I'm buying are cold weather palms. I'm working on getting the lawn looking good.

10. 04-30-2010 02:09 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by Rabbitguy21 »
      I built a new fence

Always enjoy watching the progress on your place. Do you have more details on the fence?
      TIA
      Benny and the jets - Just your average air cooled 911 adventure
      Shop Truck - Round 3: Back With a Vengeance?!

Vehicles
      04-30-2010 02:27 PM #36
      Quote, originally posted by benjaminobscene »
      Always enjoy watching the progress on your place. Do you have more details on the fence?
      TIA

Thanks! its alot of fun fixing up the place.
      Ya it was pretty easy to make. I spaced 4 4x4's 6 feet apart, planted them two feet in the ground. I used one bag of cement per post. I bought some 6 foot stained boards from home depot for 1.20 each. I placed them horizontal and leveled the the lower ones then just stacked them up from there. I used the same 6 foot boards for the top trim and to cover the joints on each post. all in all it was less then 100 bucks for 24 feet of fencing. Since I left the old fence up I used my nail gun to build it. I used 2 inch nails on the whole thing. If you want to know more let me know. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      04-30-2010 02:30 PM #37
      A couple more pics

Vehicles
      87 944 PRO44 racecar, 93 968, 01 986S racecar WIP, 05 Excursion PSD, 08.5 Rabbit
      05-03-2010 02:13 PM #38
      Looks like you are doing good work... Gresham could use a bit of a spit shine!

Vehicles
      Mazda5, MK6 JSW
      05-04-2010 01:36 PM #39
      Looks good, way to bust ass! Your making me look like a slacker.

Vehicles
      05-07-2010 01:44 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by schwank View Post
      Looks like you are doing good work... Gresham could use a bit of a spit shine!
      LOL thanks! Ya I'm lucky everyone keeps there yards really nice in my neighborhood, But Gresham needs some love LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by DriversVR6 View Post
      Looks good, way to bust ass! Your making me look like a slacker.
      Thanks alot! I just get restless and feel the need to do work all the time LOL.

16. 05-11-2010 12:42 PM #41
      Quick question about the fence. How did you get the board mounted up? Is there two boards on each sides on the 4x4's? Just curious how you mounted up the boards.

17. 05-11-2010 02:30 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by SlientG60 View Post
      Quick question about the fence. How did you get the board mounted up? Is there two boards on each sides on the 4x4's? Just curious how you mounted up the boards.
      it appears to me as if he cemented in the PT'd 4x4 posts, nailed in the board horizontally and then covered up the transition which sits right on the post my nailing in a post on a lateral angle.

Vehicles
      07-07-2010 10:38 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by the sheriff View Post
      it appears to me as if he cemented in the PT'd 4x4 posts, nailed in the board horizontally and then covered up the transition which sits right on the post my nailing in a post on a lateral angle.
      Yep!

Finally got my counters done. Next up is the kitchen floor.

19. 07-07-2010 11:51 PM #44
      replace those blinds with some faux wood blinds or a different window treatment and you'll see a huge difference with how much more 'rich' the room will appear.

also, freshen up those cabinets with a fresh coat of white acrynamel - they carry it at the Miller Paint store around Portland here......

Vehicles
      07-08-2010 10:24 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by the sheriff View Post
      replace those blinds with some faux wood blinds or a different window treatment and you'll see a huge difference with how much more 'rich' the room will appear.

also, freshen up those cabinets with a fresh coat of white acrynamel - they carry it at the Miller Paint store around Portland here......
      You know I really wanted to get those type of blinds, but my wife was busting my balls about it. Ill get em anyway LOL.

Ya cabinets were coming up too, thanks for the recommendation on the paint. I was trying to figure out a good paint for them. I'm also going to update the hardware.

21. 07-08-2010 01:55 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitguy21 View Post
      You know I really wanted to get those type of blinds, but my wife was busting my balls about it. Ill get em anyway LOL.

Ya cabinets were coming up too, thanks for the recommendation on the paint. I was trying to figure out a good paint for them. I'm also going to update the hardware.
      Any time.....the acrynamel is best rolled on with a foam roller in very thin coats. Allow each light coat to dry and cure for 24 hours before laying another. It takes time, but the end results are well worth it. The paint will be very hard and very resistant. Below are a couple before and afters of mine. Cabinets are original 1978.

Before:

After:

Vehicles
      07-13-2010 10:37 AM #47
      I installed the new blinds and man it makes the room look better. I also installed a new light. I still need to paint the wood I had to put up and add the trim ring.

Vehicles
      AUDI S4 2014
      07-14-2010 02:43 PM #48
      Looking good man!

Vehicles
      03-03-2011 02:33 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by PhatazzMkIVJetta View Post
      Looking good man!
      Thanks!

So I haven't done much around the house, but I'm thinking about painting my cabinets a dark brown. What do you guys think?

Something along the lines of these kitchens

25. Member
      03-03-2011 03:09 PM #50
      Personally, I like an off white with brushed or stainless steel hardware. I've never been a fan of dark cabinets in kitchens and natural woods are a little played. Whites and distressed are making a comeback in a huge way, too.

But, I definitely like those pics better than an oak or cherry kitchen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast