Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Squeak when i let my foot off the brake pedal?

Vehicles
      99.5 VW Golf
      04-30-2009 09:58 PM #1
      just as the topic says, every time i brake, and then take my foot off the brake pedal, i hear a short, squeak. what would cause this? i know i need new brake pads because when it rains, or my brakes get wet, they squeek, until i do some hard braking and 'clean' them off lol. plus, my car sucks at braking if its raining.

but what would cause this slight squeak when i take my foot off the brake?

the car: stock 98' jetta gl, 5 speed, 2.0

thanks in advance fellas.

2. 05-01-2009 05:47 AM #2
      if you have drum brakeson the back its time to clean and adjust

Vehicles
      99.5 VW Golf
      05-01-2009 11:26 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by chewypops »
      if you have drum brakeson the back its time to clean and adjust

thanks.

4. 05-01-2009 02:17 PM #4
      Is squeak outside or up under dash?....under dash..its the brake pedal pivot..squirt some WD40 on it...outside its the calipers/pads movin when you release brake..VW uses "floating" calipers that must slide smoothly on their mounting pins..if these pins get dirity or dry of lube..brakes will drag...pads wear fast and gas mpg drops...clean and relube with "synthetic caliper grease"..I put a little of this where pads rest on carriers too..helps eliminate squeaks (along with brake quiet goo on pad backs).
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

Vehicles
      99.5 VW Golf
      05-01-2009 04:22 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by spitpilot »
      Is squeak outside or up under dash?....under dash..its the brake pedal pivot..squirt some WD40 on it...outside its the calipers/pads movin when you release brake..VW uses "floating" calipers that must slide smoothly on their mounting pins..if these pins get dirity or dry of lube..brakes will drag...pads wear fast and gas mpg drops...clean and relube with "synthetic caliper grease"..I put a little of this where pads rest on carriers too..helps eliminate squeaks (along with brake quiet goo on pad backs).

the squeak sounds like from the outside, rear [so, rear brakes] its just a short squeak, and usually happens when its really dry or warm out

thanks for the tips! but if i keep my car i plan on replacing most of the brake system, if not, i'll just replace with new pads, and this should eliminate the squeak?

6. 08-02-2012 06:36 PM #6
      Does anyone know the exact pivot points that need greasing? This squeaking when releasing my brake pedal/e-brake is driving me nutz. Thanks.

7. 08-02-2012 06:47 PM #7
      Oops, found a good article, thanks.

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/campingart/je

ttatech/reardrum/index.htm