Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 TDi won't start...

1. 05-07-2009 09:53 AM #1
      I've read a lot of posts on here to see if I could get this going without help but it's not happening. Sunday my car ran out of diesel while at the pump to fuel up. So I filled the car with diesel, pushed the car off to the side and with the help of a friend was able to bleed the 4 injectors so they are spitting large amounts of diesel. So I have fuel, but it still won't start. The stutter value is operating, glow plugs are new and the battery is fully charged. What do I do next to try and get it going?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      05-07-2009 09:57 AM #2
      How much diesel is actually coming out of the top of the injector when you are bleeding it?

I like to bleed one injector at a time. If it's coming out properly it will be hitting the underside of the hood Once you have a powerful stream coming out, tighten down the injector nut and move on to the next one. By the time you get the second injector done the car will most likely be stumbling and trying to start. Start the car, and let it idle for a few minutes purging the rest of the air itself.

Good luck and let us know how it works out..

You didn't unplug any wires leading to the IP by chance did you while messing with the glowplugs?

Vehicles
      1999.5 Jetta GLS TDI, 498k miles, Malone Tuned, T4 nozzles, VR6/G60 clutch kit, .681 5th gear
      05-07-2009 12:44 PM #3
      I offer mobile TDI repair in Missouri/Tennessee and surrounding areas.

Malone Tuning Dealer
      Tuning all TDI models, including 2009+ CR TDI's
      www.vwtdisales.com

4. 05-07-2009 06:51 PM #4
      I've gone to that page and tried what it said for my issues. I'm wondering, I didn't blead the injection pump, but I blead the injectors and they are spitting fuel that could hit the hood if I wasn't blocking it with paper towel. I know my glow plugs are working by the glow plug light on the dash, or I guess I am to assume. I'm stumped, it just won't fire for me.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      05-08-2009 10:27 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by krazytdi »
      I've gone to that page and tried what it said for my issues. I'm wondering, I didn't blead the injection pump, but I blead the injectors and they are spitting fuel that could hit the hood if I wasn't blocking it with paper towel. I know my glow plugs are working by the glow plug light on the dash, or I guess I am to assume. I'm stumped, it just won't fire for me.

If you are getting streams of diesel hitting the hood, your IP is primed and ready to go.

Are you sure you have all the plugs connected that are going to the IP?

Like I mentioned before, the glowplugs have nothing to do with the car starting or not. If it's above 40 degrees they won't even heat up.

If I can recap...

You ran out of fuel, filled the car back up, bleed the fuel lines and now you are stuck at this point correct?

6. 05-08-2009 11:13 PM #6
      Yes thats right. Ran out of fuel, blead the system and now no start. I'm on like day 6 of no tdi haha boo me

7. 05-12-2009 07:56 PM #7
      Stupid question... If your brake pads get too low, and the light blinking after so long will it cause the car to not start. The light was blinking for a week now (brake pads are low but I've been waiting to do suspension/caliper/brakes all at once). Will this tell the computer to stop the car from starting??? Could be a stupid question, but I thought I would ask.

Vehicles
      1999.5 Jetta GLS TDI, 498k miles, Malone Tuned, T4 nozzles, VR6/G60 clutch kit, .681 5th gear
      05-12-2009 09:08 PM #8
      No brake light being on will not keep it from starting.

Now when you try to start it will try to fire up? Or does it just wind over and without the engine trying to fire up?

Malone Tuning Dealer
      www.vwtdisales.com

9. 05-12-2009 10:13 PM #9
      Just keeps winding over and over and doesn't even get a cough out of it. I've got a 1.6L diesel and it'll cough a bit before it starts when your bleeding it then it'll start. But this is winding over like there is no fuel, but I know there is fuel. I've gotta get this going, I'm going nuts driving my 3000GT everywhere. With the gas prices I usually only drive the GT on the weekends

Vehicles
      05-13-2009 12:30 PM #10
      Did you ever bleed the injection pump? Also what do your black rubber fuel lines look like? Are they old? They could be cracked and allowing air into the system thus preventing your car from starting.

Malone Tuning Dealer
      www.vwtdisales.com

11. 05-13-2009 01:14 PM #11
      Couple of things to try:

Bleeding the system after running dry:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/show...nt=10

Sticky anti-shudder valve that decided to pick now to stick:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/show...unt=6

My "internet random guess" money, especially since it sounds like you are getting fuel out of the injectors now, is on the anti-shudder valve, and it takes about 5 seconds to check, so if nothing else worth eliminating as a suspect.

Vince Waldon
      Edmonton Alberta Canada
      2001 silver TDI Jetta, .205s and Malone Stage 1.5
      2001 blue TDI Jetta, .216s, SB III, and Malone Stage 3. grrrr baby...very grrrrrrr ;-)

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 vw passat tdi 2001 jetta tdi 1990 corrado vr swap
      05-16-2009 08:14 PM #12
      Just wondering about your t/belt, if you have fuel and air...make sure the shudder valve is operating ,then the car should run..have seen faulty rollers that guide the t/belt crap and cause intermittent no starts because it throw out the pump timimg..just a thought.

13. 05-19-2009 01:06 PM #13
      I gave up and took it to VW today. They said the fuel system has been blead and it good, but my crank sensor is gone. Should be on the road tomorrow

14. 05-21-2009 09:16 AM #14
      So, I get a call from Brown's VW this morning that my motor is shot. They replaced the crank sensor, and still no go, so they replaced the timing belt tensioner and they got the car running. They took it for a test drive and the motor ran away and put a piston through the block... I think they messed up my timing when they had the tensioner off and blew my motor. Any input would be great before I go down there to talk to them...

Vehicles
      1999 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet, 1999 Volkswagen Golf TDI, 2003 Audi A4 Quattro Wagon, 2004 Toaureg
      08-26-2011 10:38 AM #15
      Thank you so much for this post! You got me back on the road!!!
      joe porsche
      "VW all the Way"

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Golf TDI
      08-27-2011 07:32 AM #16
      I wouldnt be so quick to accuse them.

These engines are known to fill their intercoolers with oil (both via vapor that condenses and blowby), that oil can be sucked by the engine once there's enough in the intercooler and the engine will take off, there's nothing you can do when it does happen has usually it will overrev in a matter of seconds and destroy the engine.

If they would have messed the timing belt aligned up it would have most likely contacted pistons to valves.

A thrown rod/piston through the block is most likely because of overrev induced by oil injestion.

Sorry.
      VW/Audi Terminal release tools along with
      OEM Quality, USA made, heat shrink butt connectors
      Available here!