Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Australian specific Motorcycle thread

1. Senior Member
      05-12-2009 05:00 AM #71
      I should also mention that I stalled the bike like 5 times in the first half hour of riding, including on the freeway (when the traffic stopped because of the roadworks). The bike doesn't seem to like low speed take off which was a surprised given how much torque there was. Then I got used to it and it was all smooth sailing from there. Also, the engine cut out on me twice with the oil light coming on when I shift into neutral. WTF? I need to go back to Ducati tomorrow to get them to check it out. Blardy Italians.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

2. Senior Member
      05-12-2009 05:03 AM #72
      Quote, originally posted by Gumbi »

now just learn to take better photos

Thanks Eddie. I think by now everyone knows I can't take photos for crap.

3. 05-12-2009 05:38 AM #73
      Quote, originally posted by WAY »

Those wheels look weak. Anthracite them!

Cuts out at idle in neutral? Is Ducati employing Alfa engineers now? You better check for rust then, it probably came out as deck cargo...

Oh yea, bike looks good, better when you fix it up a bit.

4. 05-12-2009 06:36 AM #74
      looks sick.

fix up the rego plastic thingy too.

it really looks great.

You can really slip the clutch heaps on a bike, they are made that way on purpose, just ring it's neck and slide the clutch a bit. You'll work it out in no time.

and yeah, 3 wheel what?

5. Senior Member
      05-12-2009 06:50 AM #75
      Hehe I am pretty sure I won't be taking out the 3 wheeler for awhile, unless it is drizzling and I need to go into the city. I have decided that this bike is never going to see rain. It's for my own sake really. It has so much torque that in slippery conditions it can be dangerous. Yeah I think I will paint the wheels, but I should have asked them to do it before picking it up. Once I have it in my posession, I might not be bothered doing it anymore. The chopped tail I can do easily. I will get them to replace it at the 1000km service (which at this rate will be in a week .

Btw, Aussie specific content - anyone knows what the rule is with the registration sticker? Looks ridiculous where it is. My 3 wheeler has it under the number plate and it looks much less intrusive. Is there any legal alternative?

6. 05-12-2009 06:59 AM #76
      dont know for sure, but I have seen them on the edge of the number plate, placed so they sort of swing in front of and obscure the numbers on the plate. But I heard you shouldn't do that anymore.

Lots of folks seem to have that little tube under the number plate, my leso "dykes on bikes" neighbours do have it.

I have even seen the sticker stuck on the fork leg, in between the steering clamps.

7. Senior Member
      05-12-2009 07:14 AM #77
      Hey has anyone ever ridden with their bicycle shorts under their riding pants? I am thinking of wearing my Netti under my kevlar jeans to keep me warmer and more comfort on the seat. I wonder if it works and if it is the done thing?

8. 05-12-2009 07:21 AM #78
      yes, for all day rides I do, especially if going on warm days and dirt roads.

I hate the squashed and tangled feeling from undies as well, stuff never seems to sit right.

9. 05-12-2009 08:04 AM #79
      Btw, Aussie specific content - anyone knows what the rule is with the registration sticker? Looks ridiculous where it is. My 3 wheeler has it under the number plate and it looks much less intrusive. Is there any legal alternative?

I use one of these, not sure about the legality.

10. Senior Member
      05-12-2009 08:32 AM #80
      Yeah I have seen those before. Where can I get that?

11. 05-12-2009 08:55 AM #81
      Yeah I have seen those before. Where can I get that?

eBay, do a search on Rego Holder.

12. 05-12-2009 07:10 PM #82
      bike looks hot... too bad i cant afford 1 ...

and for the rego holder... they were on the netrider store cant find it on there anymore ...

edit:
      Found 1 on ebay for u..., http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rego-Tu...r4701

Modified by tjongdy at 10:17 AM 5-13-2009

13. 05-12-2009 07:45 PM #83
      Funny you mention that, my S4R did EXACTLY the same things.

Stalling - happened to me at low revs. Coming to a stop, holding in clutch, go to neutral and.....dead. I was concerned at first, it all happened in the first 500km and hasn't happened since. I now have 4,050km on the bike in 6 weeks. No problems at all.

Oil light - same thing for me. Mine was coming on all the time when riding. I'd tip the bike up and check the oil, plenty in there. I did the 1,000km service (includes oil change) and the oil light hasn't come back on after 3,050kms of riding.

So from my point what you are experiencing is the same as me. Don't worry, it will all go away the more you ride the bike.

Ducati dealers suck with doing deals. I only managed to score the 1,000km service and a cap for my wife for free. Although i got $2k off RRP (bike was on sale) i still had to pay full price for the termi's which was $3k LOL. If you want to play they make you pay. Pricks!

You MUST get the Termi's on. It's not riding unless you have a bloody loud exhaust. Mine sounds like a 1098S, gotta love the dry clutch rattle to!

Vehicles
      Neunelfer und die grosser Diesel Tourenwagen
      05-12-2009 08:04 PM #84
      I should also mention that I stalled the bike like 5 times in the first half hour of riding, including on the freeway (when the traffic stopped because of the roadworks). The bike doesn't seem to like low speed take off which was a surprised given how much torque there was. Then I got used to it and it was all smooth sailing from there. Also, the engine cut out on me twice with the oil light coming on when I shift into neutral. WTF? I need to go back to Ducati tomorrow to get them to check it out. Blardy Italians.

User error !

It looks fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      I am planning to keep this for awhile. I am deadly serious too.

15. Senior Member
      05-12-2009 08:53 PM #85
      Haha Mark, I was starting to think it was something I did when the engine just stalled as I pulled the clutch in at low speed. But luckily Flogbox has come to tell me that he has experienced exactly the same thing! I reckon both our bikes are built by the same people at the factory.

As for Termis Flogbox, I am still trying to get used to how loud the air-cooled V-twin is! Don't forget I have been riding 3 wheeler for the last year, and a 50cc Aprilia scooter for 3 years before that! Been awhile since I have a proper bike so I will just get used to everything first then get the Termis. Yeah, at $3k it is pretty expensive! But you can't put another brand on a Ducati! It's just like Tubi with Ferrari.

Oh I went out last night to ride for 30 mins. No stalling at all when pulling into neutral. I also paid attention to the clutch take up, and realised that the reason I stalled 5 times in the first 30 mins was because the engagement point is right at the end of the clutch, almost when you completely let go of the clutch! I should have figured that out first before I started riding it instead of going by feel. Oh one last thing, the bike gets really hot especially on the left hand side! I can't see how you can ride this thing in summer in traffic. Once you get going it is fine, but when you sit at traffic light you really feel it, so imagine in a jam in summer!

Btw, do you guys think I should lose the front cowl? When I first saw the new monster, I loved the look only when the cowls are off. But now I am used to it I think it's ok. But still looks tougher with it off. Thing I should remove it?

16. 05-12-2009 09:08 PM #86
      My kawasaki zx7r would get really really hot on my left ankle/ lower shin, almost to the point that I couldn't ride it unless I had road riding boots on. Wasn't too bad, made me always wear boots.

I dropped my kawasaki zx7r on my foot and lucky I had the boots on. Took all the weight of the bike and I got up and rode on.

I think almost any bike sucks being stuck in traffic. Fans going 100% spinning their little heads off.

anyway way, I'd keep the little fairing. Looks good.

I'd be getting rid of the massive mud guard thing at the back though, wtf were they thinking?

And on topic being aust related, lucky for us we have nice little number plates for our bikes. Seen the one the poms have ? (also in croatia, big square things yuck)

Modified by vwlatino at 12:14 PM 5-13-2009

17. 05-12-2009 09:26 PM #87
      It's just like Tubi with Porsche.

Vehicles
      Neunelfer und die grosser Diesel Tourenwagen
      05-12-2009 09:30 PM #88
      Wayne the clutch on my 996 was sooo heavy, if I rode around town for any length of time and did stop-start stuff my hand would fail to be able to control it after about 30mins.......

Never dropped it on my foot though

Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      I am planning to keep this for awhile. I am deadly serious too.

19. 05-13-2009 12:43 AM #89
      WAY - The M1100 is an air cooled engine so in traffic it's lane split city for you. You will be fine providing it's not 30C and you aren't stuck in the ED or Harbour tunnel. It's happened to me on the MV Agusta and the bike almost boiled over.

The S4R i purchased is water cooled so i don't have to worry in traffic. It still gets a bit toasty on top of the bike but the temps are stable.

The MV Agusta F4 i had was insanely hot. If you got stuck in traffic in Summer you were a dead duck. Parramatta road, mid 30's and the bike was running 105C even moving along. Hot from the thermo fans pumping straight into my thighs , i swear i thought my skin was melting to my pants. Looking seriously cool but in f%cking agony at the same time is a strange feeling LOL.

20. 05-13-2009 12:52 AM #90
      WAY - I forgot to mention the mirrors. I changed the alien antenna's to bar ends. Looks much cooler now, more cafe racer style.

On a funny note, when i had my Termi's going on the store stuffed up and could not complete it same day (after i specificall booked it for same day). I needed some transport so i looked outside and wondered what i could take home.....1098? Desmo LOL?

Lucky me i managed to score this lovely piece of work......

Biggest sh1tbox i've ridden LOL. I gave them 10/10 on the piss take scale. Mind you the guy looking after me in the service area sucked. His manager apologised about leaving me high and dry, i told him i wanted a free keyring and i'd be happy. ......

1 keyring later i was a happy bastard riding away on a CB250 LOL

Modified by flogbox at 9:54 PM 5-12-2009

21. 05-13-2009 01:13 AM #91
      they use thsoe cb 250 things on the track (cycling velodrome, nowhere near a race track) for motor pacing behind, they usually have a wheelie bar thing you can hit with your front tyre if you get too close.

they are a standard issue pos.

good old google image

Modified by vwlatino at 4:14 PM 5-13-2009

22. 05-13-2009 01:22 AM #92
      Nice!

All we had at Dunc Grey was those little red putters with pedals.

They went like a rocket when they wound them up to peel off LOL.

23. 05-13-2009 01:31 AM #93
      they still have them, the derny. nosiy little things.

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      05-13-2009 01:40 AM #94
      I love it! Just need to de-ADR it!! Paint those wheels red I reckon! Get the carbon exhausts stat!

25. Senior Member
      05-13-2009 05:48 AM #95
      Red wheels? That could be interesting. In S4R guise, there used to be a white with red frame similar to mine, but with white wheels. Looks pretty hot!

I sent an email to the dealer last night about my stalling issue before I found out from Flogbox that it isn't unique. The service manager called me this afternoon to talk about it, and told me that sometimes the Ducati engines do that especially before 1000km service. He said not to worry. He ask me to keep riding it and keep a note of it and let him know during the 1000km service. He then said that if it doesn't go away, putting on the Termis most likely will solve it as it uses a different tune. Hahaha, blardy Italians indeed. Imagine the Japanese like Honda telling you not to worry about the bike stalling, and the only way to fix it may be to put on a set of race exhaust?

26. Senior Member
      05-13-2009 05:52 AM #96
      Flogbox, good to hear that you didn't get too good a deal either! And I got a key ring already from them, plus a Ducati City backpack. And you should have insisted they let you have a 1098!

Peaking of 1098, a friend of mine picked up a 1098S a few weeks ago. I just found out today.

27. 05-13-2009 05:56 AM #97
      i think air-cooled version looks smarter. the S4R truly looks like an unfinished moto. definitely chop the tail and go dark on the wheels (but not full black) and have the lip unpainted (cleared only).

28. 05-13-2009 07:18 AM #98
      I like the colour of the wheels,plus the finish on them is very good, Painting the wheels unless it is done by someone very very good could make the bike look a little second hand.

As for the Rego label just stick it under the seat.

29. Senior Member
      05-13-2009 10:20 AM #99
      Ok went for a ride again tonight. Starting to get used to the bike, but i have seriously sore forearms! Just want to note this down, so that I remember it at the 1000km service.

The bike died again tonight, twice. Once at 169km shortly after I filled up, then again at 190km right after a fang at Yarra Blvd (slow fang officer, in case any of you are reading this). Like yesterday, both times the stalls occured when I was slowing and pulled the clutch in. Probably doing 40kmh the first time and 25kmh the second time. Yesterday's occurence happened at about 120km and 140km mark. Seems consistent that it happens in 20km intervals and only twice. Wonder if it is a coincidence or a pattern.

Flogbox, how often was yours stalling?????

30. 05-13-2009 10:38 AM #100
      Quote, originally posted by flogbox »
      Looking seriously cool but in f%cking agony at the same time is a strange feeling LOL.

Many nice girls attempt this every saturday nite.....

31. 05-13-2009 10:47 AM #101
      Ok went for a ride again tonight. Starting to get used to the bike, but i have seriously sore forearms! Just want to note this down, so that I remember it at the 1000km service.

The bike died again tonight, twice. Once at 169km shortly after I filled up, then again at 190km right after a fang at Yarra Blvd (slow fang officer, in case any of you are reading this). Like yesterday, both times the stalls occured when I was slowing and pulled the clutch in. Probably doing 40kmh the first time and 25kmh the second time. Yesterday's occurence happened at about 120km and 140km mark. Seems consistent that it happens in 20km intervals and only twice. Wonder if it is a coincidence or a pattern.

Flogbox, how often was yours stalling?????

I don't know, Wayne.....Not nice to spend $20k on something, and then having it not working properly in the first few days....Stalling is not safe.
      Get a refund and get the GT3 - your wife will allow it now, once you tell her you'll trade in the bike for it!

32. 05-13-2009 06:35 PM #102
      I had about 5 stalling incidents all up. All of them with less than 400km on the odo. All but 1 incident was the same as yours, slowing to a stop and pulling in the clutch. The stalling is a common thing, most bikes get over it but there are some that i have read which continue to stall no matter what. Funnily enough the store guy wasn't making it up about the pipes. Some owners will stall with the stock bike, slap the Termi's and ECU in and no more stalling.

The 1 incident it didn't happen was whilst i was moving. Leaving work, stuck behind a car, low revs and then stall. Pulled over, try to start but as soon as it comes to life the sucker dies. Took about 5 goes before it would idle. From memory I think that was my final incident with stalling.

Don't worry about your forearms (sook LOL). I had the same thing. It's the upright position of your hands you aren't used to. Give it 1-2 weeks and it will be gone. If your hands are sore from the clutch that will go away to.

Just remember with the dry clutches you can't hold the clutch in. Kick it into nuetral if you aren't moving. It might seem like a pain at first but i have it down to a science.

Italian bikes are...well... pretty, compared to Japanese bikes. Apparently all the **** that goes wrong is called 'soul' LOL.

33. 05-13-2009 07:09 PM #103
      I forgot about the dry clutch.

I need a new helmet. I have had a arai rx7 (I think thats the neme) since about 2002. It has served well, fits perfect, but is falling apart.

Riding in a mx helemt with goggles around everywhere is not for me, too cold and to noisy.

I always wanted to get a doohan rep arai, doubt they still make them.

Mrs said she'd get me a new helmet for my B-day Sure she has no idea it will be about $1k

34. 05-13-2009 07:19 PM #104
      Sore forearms? isn't the monster fairly upright? Perhaps less ripping it through the knuckles Wayne?

35. 05-13-2009 07:39 PM #105
      vwlatino - I used an AGV St George which did it's job when i crashed. I bought a new Arai Camo with the Ducati. It's an $800 helmet but oddly enough the Ducati place sold it to me for $650.... so i went back and bought one for my wife for $600!

s8n - Any change in position will have you sore. The Monsters are not quite upright, slightly leaned forward. I ride every single day and went from a full blown race position to the Monster and got sore forearms. Everything else was sweeeeet though.

If you want pain, ride an F4 on the freeway for 2hrs.... even after putting 6,000km on it in 3 months my body still couldn't get used to the position.

Lately i have had a yearning to buy a new MV 312R as a daily rider with a nice set of straight through pipes ..... but the pain, the pain!!!

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast