VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

OT: Australian specific Motorcycle thread

88K views 1K replies 58 participants last post by  craig_m5 
#1 ·
Hi guys and gals, thought I would restart a motorcycle thread. I know that there is a Motorcycle forum on the Tex, and in fact I have spent a little time there in the last few days and they seem like a good bunch.
However, when it comes to bike stuff that is specific to Australia, those guys aren't any good such as Australian prices, our discount structures, our ADR rules etc. So I thought I would start this thread.
Let's try to behave so that Sloth and SLC let us keep this. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

See less See more
#705 ·
Re: (KGB)

I was only taking the piss, I wouldn't know them from a bar of soap.
You are right though, now I think about it they bought up every sr500 and or svx or whatever the bikes were.
I forgot I went off the flat trackers for some reason, it's that shop.
right about mambo, even took some of the same desingers with them.

#706 ·
Re: (vwlatino)

Apparently they're 'must haves' for Hollywood actor types atm. Good luck to 'em....
Had a look at their site and I think they also import Japanese domestic market models that you can't get here and mod those now...
Speaking of which, a mate of a mate has a container full of Vintage MX bikes on the way from Cali, CR500 or RM465 anyone (fast and nimble in traffic
)?

Modified by KGB at 3:09 PM 11-10-2009

#710 ·

Quote, originally posted by vwlatino »
used to be able to buy a CR500E brand new in Oz

they woke up one day and thought, hmm thats not very smart is it.

I had 2 CR500's - they were awesome, but absolutely flogged your body. Sold the last one to buy my 1st Husky 610 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Have been looking around at enduro's again. I'm getting tired of tipping so much $ into 4 wheeled motorsport, w/o really getting a comensurate increase in enjoyment over dirt bikes.

#711 ·
Re: (skc)

I know what you mean, not the tipping money into 4 wheelers but just the enjoyment and acceleration etc from a fun bike.
I'm going to ride to work for the next few days, even on my cheap as thumper, the riding position and the way it carves up corners is the best fun.
My neighbour is selling 2 mx bikes right now and getting an rego'd bike so we can ride together, I think I'll end up with something smaller, maybe 250-450cc just a bike real fast mountain bike. Trailer them about.
450 rally style bike is what I'd love. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#712 ·

SKC, what off road bike you thinking of? I still dream of owning one eventually. I haven't ridden an off road bike since I was a young teenager! Those days it was all about 125 trial bikes (Suzuki and Yammies from memory) and I would race my cousins around my uncles thousands of arces of plantation through mud and rutt and dirt. Awesome fun! Oh no protective gear too in those days for us, not even helmet! Can't believe my parents were ok with it.

#713 ·

Quote, originally posted by vwlatino »
I know what you mean, not the tipping money into 4 wheelers but just the enjoyment and acceleration etc from a fun bike.
I'm going to ride to work for the next few days, even on my cheap as thumper, the riding position and the way it carves up corners is the best fun.
My neighbour is selling 2 mx bikes right now and getting an rego'd bike so we can ride together, I think I'll end up with something smaller, maybe 250-450cc just a bike real fast mountain bike. Trailer them about.
450 rally style bike is what I'd love. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

what's 450 rally style bike? Is that like the BMW X450 I love so much?

#714 ·
Re: (WAY)

start with a Yamaha wr450f and add fairing etc. I have no real need for all the rally gear, road book etc. But I love the idea of all the fuel it can carry in the big fairing and under the seat in the side fairings.
The big bikes (>650) are no out of the desert/rally racing and 450 is the new limit, so there will be some nuts lightweight rally bikes coming out now.
before

after

#723 ·

for skc, the aprillia

WAY,
here is how the fuel tanks look. I'm not sure how much it can carry, but the stages are shorter and faster now, but the old 90's desert races were >500km long daily stages and the bikes carried something like 50+ l of fuel. Plus they were 750-900cc monsters, farkin heavy and tough as nials riders. Goolge Gaston Rahier and look at pics of him next to his bike

Modified by vwlatino at 1:50 PM 11-11-2009

#724 ·
All the multi owners rave about those bikes, i agree it would have been a good option for Wayne.
So how about a replacement bike for me?
The S4R will be going in the New Year, i'm 90% sure that fate is decided.
My work commute will be roughly 100km/day when we build in the New Year and the S4R will only 'just' make that distance LOL. It will be a nitemare refueling everday!
I want -
Capacity: 1,000cc
engine type: i love v-twins but inline 4 would be ok.
Position: upright or slightly forward like my Monster
Fairings?: Nakeds are cool but fairing will be ok.
Weight: Nothing to bulky. Not interested in Bimmers or FJR1300 type bikes.
Budget: $6k - $7k.
I loved my old Firestorm but hated the crappy brakes. I'm thinking maybe an SV1000? Perhaps a TL1000S?

#726 ·
Re: (flogbox)

have a go now of the TL1000S, might save you worrying about getting one. Sick engine, beast of a thing to ride.
It does go hard and sounds great with some nice slip-ons. It's just hard to ride fast and be relaxed. hard to tip in.
EDIT: fark imagine riding one of them ^^ ^^ to work?
front tyre would last forever http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by vwlatino at 2:11 PM 11-11-2009

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.