Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Results 1,051 to 1,085 of 1269

Thread: OT: Australian specific Motorcycle thread

1. 09-25-2012 10:52 PM #1051
      I have a tooth ache, have used a few nurofen and must have been a bit out of it yesterday as I thought you all had written Paul Smith, hahaha.

I have never heard of the Paul Smart, never looked to be honest.

Red one looks a lot better and not a fan of spokes either, not on a road bike. Looks awesome on a mx or flat track/grass track bike, scrambler whatever you want to call it.

2. 09-25-2012 10:56 PM #1052
      I love bikeexif
      One of the best time-wasting sites out there

3. 09-26-2012 01:00 AM #1053
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      I know what you are saying about track days being safer, but I don't trust myself. With cars, when I am on the track, I push hard and often to my limit. With bike, I am afraid I may do the same! Whereas on the road I am always conscious that there may be a car coming around the next corner so I don't push anywhere near as hard.
      Safer in the sense you are all traveling in the same direction. Lots of oil gets left on the track, other riders can make mistakes, you can make a mistake and the speed is much higher meaning less margin for error. You are more likely to have an off at the track than the road because of those factors.

I never tootled around on the road and once we started talking about riders 'who used to be' i knew the odds were getting ready to choke me so i stopped altogether. If i get a bike in the future i'll only be tootling around. My fast days are over.

Vehicles
      Neunelfer und die grosser Diesel Tourenwagen
      09-26-2012 01:27 AM #1054
      Quote Originally Posted by flogbox View Post
      My fast days are over.
      Amen to that.
      I am planning to keep this for awhile. I am deadly serious too.

09-26-2012 01:42 AM #1055
      What's an 80's Mike Hailwood replica go for these days? First ever Two Wheels mag I bought had that as the feature bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

6. 09-26-2012 01:43 AM #1056
      I understand what you are saying about the speeds, but I still feel it's safer. I sold my road bike and track bike when I had kids in 2004 pretty much and was sure it was out of my system riding the old trail bikes.

To be honest I sort of wish I could go back 12 months and not have bought a brand new road bike, I'm happy I did, but I'd be happy with a nice fun mellow road bike and a quick track bike.

The track is a constant surface the only really changes temps, it's bloody wide and although I don't aim to, you can run the ripple strips over and not get bounced off. brushing them with a knee is fine also. I'm a beginner, only done 4 days so far, but I can see what folks say when after a couple of years it's almost the only riding you do. It's still only ride days, they are meant to be fun not racing.

I don't go to popular riding roads on weekends, too many cops and too many tools, run wide and take you out type things freak me out.

I was on my road bike yesterday and all I wanted was not "to throw it down the road" as they say. I managed not to and still had a awesome time. My mate was saying yesterday, once you have the track set-up you can push a bit and worry as much. Have slicks that are super sticky, warmers on them, you get out and go for it straight away and fibreglass fairings that can take a bit of abuse. Engine case covers etc, unless it's a big off, levers and pegs etc can be changed and you get back out. Sit in the car and relax on the way home.

actually it's crazy, your guts get so used to going fast one time I rode out there and at the end of the day merged out into the freeway, feeling normal and was doing about 170kmph.

I'm still on a mega buzz from the other day, can't stop thinking about going again.

7. 09-26-2012 01:48 AM #1057
      Quote Originally Posted by sweatyworker View Post
      What's an 80's Mike Hailwood replica go for these days? First ever Two Wheels mag I bought had that as the feature bike.

I'd guess a lot of money.

I did my learners on a pantah in Cooma, had a leaky fork seal that was dripping on the front brake. Cop looked at me like I was a total idiot, but it was all I could borrow. It was 1990 or 91, ride in a straight line, around some cones then get told a route to ride around town and back to the station. When I got back everything was written in the form and all I had to do was sign it.

don't make it back to the station ever and it's a fail.

8. 09-26-2012 02:44 AM #1058
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlatino View Post
      I'm still on a mega buzz from the other day, can't stop thinking about going again.
      Awesome

Lots of guys just do track days which makes sense.

Beginner stuff yadda yadda yadda you'll soon become corrupt with power, just you wait lol

I turned into the essence of pure evil commuting to work on my bike. As you already stated yourself, you grow immune to the risk so you up the ante to get the buzzzzz

You'll be jonesing once you are used to the speed and can really throw the bike around at the track

Just thinking about it makes me want to do a track day but alas i have puny balls. Maybe if i find a nice R6?

9. Senior Member
      09-26-2012 03:17 AM #1059
      Quote Originally Posted by flogbox View Post
      Awesome

Lots of guys just do track days which makes sense.

Beginner stuff yadda yadda yadda you'll soon become corrupt with power, just you wait lol

I turned into the essence of pure evil commuting to work on my bike. As you already stated yourself, you grow immune to the risk so you up the ante to get the buzzzzz

You'll be jonesing once you are used to the speed and can really throw the bike around at the track

Just thinking about it makes me want to do a track day but alas i have puny balls. Maybe if i find a nice R6?
      Hey floggy, you and I should stick to RCs from now on. Lol. And I'll do car racing things with KGB.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

10. 09-26-2012 03:57 AM #1060
      r6 was what I had in mind also, actually any of the 600's. I had written the crb600rr off as they are too expensive, but that has changed now obviously. I thought the r6 was the biggest of the bikes and it really is a full on position on that bike, but with subframes, rearsets, bars, seat foams etc anything can be made to fit just right.

I'm stoked the bike I'll get is an 08 model, raced for 1 year then club raced for 2 more. Never was a road bike and it's not a stat right off. Has no stand and race pattern shifting though, that will mess with the head for sure.

I am a chicken too, held me back in sports a lot. Takes me forever to feel confident, but I get there eventually.

I don't think I'll ever get the risk factor out of my head, that is not such a bad thing though but when I meant feel it in your guts, I meant you get used to running the pace without looking at the speedo.

This time I was coming into the last turn in 2nd and running the whole way through the gears, just getting 5th and then backing off a bit at the 100m sign. My bike has shift lights (only seen them once before in 1st, that's 120 something) but I took a glance as the limiter cut in on the redline in 4th and pretty sure it was 220 or 230.

I know the superbikes do a real 260 odd there so when I see flashes of 240-250 and factor in the speedo fudge factor it's pretty quick still. No idea what speed it is into 1, but coming out you get a nice breath and have a look and it's always just nudged past 200.

another mate has a rs125 honda gp bike and it has no speedo at all, just a tacho.
      Last edited by vwlatino; 09-26-2012 at 04:00 AM.

09-26-2012 04:16 AM #1061
      Thanks. Baby girl, Elizabeth, or EliWAY .
      Well done, son!

12. 09-26-2012 05:02 AM #1062
      photo time. THe new section, into the bowl.

13. 09-26-2012 06:26 AM #1063
      Hey floggy, you and I should stick to RCs from now on. Lol. And I'll do car racing things with KGB.
      Yeah buying 7 bikes in 3yrs my wife wasn't overly impressed.

RC cars has been a God send lol.

I'll live my motorbike life through others.

Vwlatino - the R6 is a pure track bike. Very aggressive riding position. I liked the lower powered bikes because I could really push it. On the litre bikes there was so much power I'd be lucky to get above 6000rpm lol.

Nice pic to!
      Last edited by flogbox; 09-26-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 08:02 AM #1064
      The actual bike....

15. 10-08-2012 07:25 PM #1065
      that looks incredible. What a good looking machine.

Did you just snap that photo or ride there on purpose as the grey background really makes the bike look good.

What tyres are on it?

16. Senior Member
      10-08-2012 08:42 PM #1066
      That is so hot mark! Congrats! Maybe I should go test ride one.

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 10:35 PM #1067
      that looks incredible. What a good looking machine.

Did you just snap that photo or ride there on purpose as the grey background really makes the bike look good.

What tyres are on it?
      Thanks Az. It sounds and feels great, not Superbike fast, but enough to enjoy the feedback it gives.
      As and old mate used to say Firelli's....cut to look skool Phantom.

That is so hot mark! Congrats! Maybe I should go test ride one.
      Thanks Wayne, but only available used now, mine is one of the last of the series, '09 build. Good luck with finding one to test ride.

After I collected it last week it received a good wash and polish, refitted the Termi's, had the tail tidy tidied tidly and straight, rear number boards applied, Rizoma grips, bar ends and 'period' bar end mirrors fitted, got an Anderson stand with Sport Classic specific lifts, Stebel horn for good tootability, tidied up some of the dodgy nuts and bolts, finished off Fraser's sh!t service ( loose nuts and bolts...). Awaiting arrival of the tank protector.

Considering this;

I'll keep you posted with pics as it is lovingly mod'd (improved)...
      Last edited by KGB; 10-08-2012 at 10:48 PM.

18. 10-08-2012 11:28 PM #1068
      ok, so the tyres are pirelli then cut? super corsa or something. Whatever that is cool and that bike is seriously cool looking. It's the only ducati I think I'd have. Looks so fun.

It's been 2 weeks since I went to the track, had the bmx state titles over the long weekend so was very distracted, but now we are back to regular programming I can't get my head out of dreaming about motorcycles and track riding.

I can see, very easily that in 2-3 years time and really becoming submerged in track riding that the road bike would loose almost all appeal.

Neil who I am buying the cbr from, has had so many ducati bikes, from the start in about 96 with a 900 monster, to 916-996-999-1098 as well as many mx bikes and other fun toys. But really he has had some crazy ducati bikes, some of the very limited ed's superbikes. Until he began to race that is, now he has the Honda Blade for his race bike and a 40's harley. He never rides the road, but then again why would you bother when you do 5-6 track days a month, thats more riding than most normal folks on the road.

anyway, point I am making is that I would be happy to ride the bikes I have, but I do see in the not too far of future that I'll have a nice sensible sort of road bike like I always thought. So long as I have the track bike that is.

I am really enjoying my gsxr at the moment though. Still would love to add another rgv250. But I can't and won't have 3 bikes.

Way, do you have anything 2 or even (not sure why this needs to be asked) 3 wheeled?

19. 10-08-2012 11:34 PM #1069
      the only mods I have done to my gsxr are the fender eliminator, solo seat cowling, exhaust hanger as I took the rear footpegs off. My bike still has every single warning sticker on it.

I am almost certain I'll put the big ugly mud guard back on too, there seems to be a blitz on non adr spec rear reflectors and mud guards at the moment. CBF getting a fine for it.

I was booked for under 10 over the limit a few weeks ago and have 1 point left, I was a 1 point offence, but I get 3 back later this month. He knew that after seeing my record and sort of gave me the nod to when to pay so I don't loose my licence. I was doing close to 90 on his radar and for some reason through a national park road in the middle of f-cking nowhere was a 50 zone.

Can't afford a ticket for not having a rear reflector.

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 11:52 PM #1070
      Funny you mention the rear reflector infringement as that's the one I know a few guys are pinged for down here as well. Been thinking about putting a rear reflector on the bottom of my rego plate, you've convinced me. My next job now...not so exciting though is it?

I bought this thing after swearing off the road and circuit some years ago when I sold my 996. Saw one in the CBD one afternoon and thought that'd be a nice keeper to tootle to the milk-bar on No more track days, no more stupid fast Great Ocean Road or High Country days, nada. Just local curves at 'sensible' speed.

Beautiful old styling with a modern "parts bin" attitude. Front forks currently have no possibility for adjustment...boing...Ducati, heritage whores

21. 10-09-2012 12:24 AM #1071
      forks are showa or sachs? You'd just have to open them up re-valve, oil, spring, cartridge. BUt you know that already. Set them and forget them.

I can't blame you for wanting that bike, looks like a load of fun at any speed.

All roads are so heavily policed now, 10 times worse than I remember 10 years ago, that all you want is a fun machine to look at, work on and enjoy riding. Go out with mates for coffee and a quick fang together, or a nice solo cruise to enjoy the day.

The seat looks good and the side number plates etc. Even though I said spokes look weird, the black rims and polished spokes look great, what colour are the hubs? Black I'd guess.

22. 10-09-2012 12:28 AM #1072
      oh, we currently have a nissan x-trail that pulls out and sprays the road with gravel and then does 10-15km under the speed limit enticing you to overtake it. If you do on the unbroken road you are met down the road by the law and booked for it.

It sucks but that is what they are doing here at the moment. 1 week after I got a ticket for my <10 over the limit, I had read about the rear reflectors, I got no mention of it when I was being booked.

But I did get caught behind the x-trail and still had the "I have 0 points left, f-ck slow driver, f-ck" going through my head and actually waited to overtake it on broken lines. That was before I had read about it happening.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 12:36 AM #1073
      Already researched fork cartridges with Comp, Reb and Preload adjustment, not to mention appropriate spring rate and decent oil. The stockies are a truly dreadful proposition. One thing at a time...

Ohlins make one

Get's a bit silly though, Wasp Power Up Kit for another 10bhp + Ohlins Fork fix = $3-3.5k, FFS you can buy a Chinese CopyDucati for that sort of money

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 05:53 AM #1074
      Before;

After;

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      10-09-2012 07:08 AM #1075
      Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
      'nother friend of yours is picking up his Sport Classic this week. But he's had his license forever.
      Looks good mate. Grips fitted on this did they?

10-13-2012 03:02 AM #1076
      I just did a running repair on a moto guzzi. Saw a guy who works at the cafe on the corner of my building with the seat off looking at the motor bit. **** thin lug they use on the battery wires cracked off probably due to vibrations. Crimped him on a new one and away he went. Should get free coffee for a while
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

27. Senior Member
      10-13-2012 09:26 PM #1077
      Mark that stripe is hot!

Paul, can we catch up over coffee near your place then?

Hey have you guys seen this??? I want it when they release it!

Vehicles
      The same as Hux, it's a Cambra Thang
      10-13-2012 09:43 PM #1078
      Mark that stripe is hot!

Paul, can we catch up over coffee near your place then?

Hey have you guys seen this??? I want it when they release it!
      Can you do all that jump and skid stuff Wayne? Love to see you doing that down near the convention centre
      a V8 and N/A

29. Senior Member
      10-14-2012 05:48 AM #1079
      Quote Originally Posted by R32DBPGenV View Post
      Can you do all that jump and skid stuff Wayne? Love to see you doing that down near the convention centre
      Skids no problem. Used to skid around in the concrete car park at Eureka on the Monster. This will be infinitely easier as it is only 95kg and the geometry is such that it will be easier the jumps and stuff I'm not sure. As a kid I did lots of BMX stuff, and I can jump on mountain bikes. But his is some 7 or 8 times heavier. The going up stairs stuff should be easy. Where I live its pretty perfect for urban trail riding, just need the electric bike!

30. 10-15-2012 10:30 PM #1080
      that looks like a lot of fun.

31. 10-28-2012 10:57 PM #1081
      Everyone watch Stoner yesterday? What a ride. Full on Stoner style, go out and go as fast as you can. I don't think he has ever been the best fighter, but when it's clear track he is in a class of his own.

Vehicles
      10-29-2012 12:50 AM #1082
      Yeah, meh, it was a dead-rubber though. WC decided and no need to fight for it...still good on him.
      Wonder who he'll be riding for in 2014? Wildcard in 2013 to go for a LiveStrong 7 in succession?

33. 11-02-2012 09:53 PM #1083
      really meh? c'mon man, that was a display of the fastest rider ever on form on the fastest track plus he is with an injury, the track did favor his good ankle but still.... it was amazing.

I watched the coverage all day long and Doohan was going WFT? no one can touch him.

please watch this, tell me what you think.

Vehicles
      11-03-2012 12:03 AM #1084
      Needs +1 click on the rear, high speed dampening clicker. Bucking too fast.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      11-03-2012 12:20 AM #1085
      please watch this, tell me what you think.
      I think it's incredible. Who was he talking about when he quoted a rider in English? I assume it was Stoner.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast