Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Australian specific Motorcycle thread

1. 05-13-2009 08:02 PM #106
      ok, arai camo looks ok. Is it a single vent in the front? can't seem to find a head on angle photo.

is it quite? I definetly have an arai shaped head and $600-700 is much better price range. When i bought my last one I think the graphic lids were about $1k and I got a plain white (I had visions of getting it airbrushed) for about $700.

the agv i used for a weekend left me with a hardcore red forehead and I'm pretty sure it made all the hair start falling out from the front of my head at least thats what I'm blaming.

my old arai was like wrapping a few pillows around my head, i could have slept in it.

Just worked out how Aust specific helmet talk is

2. 05-13-2009 08:49 PM #107
      vent over the mouth, 2 vents at the top of the actual visor (i use a tinted visor), 1 vent on the top of the helmet, 1 vent on the top of the back of the helmet. All open or close.

Compared to the AGV it's very light. Gives more freedom of movement. However i find i get considerably more wind noise on the Arai above 60km/h.

3. Senior Member
      05-13-2009 08:57 PM #108
      Indeed helmet is Australian specific! Just for Silver SLC, we can't use any helmet in Australia unless it as the AS169x sticker on it by our govt body. Because of that, our range is different and pricing is completely different! Ok now that is out of the way...

I bought a Nolan X-lite (x-602?) recently. It's a Casey Stoner replica. It's light and very comfortable on me. Cost about $600. There is also a X-802 which Casey himself wears now, and cost a bit more. Not sure what the difference is as the vents etc looks the same. Must be the material used. You should go try it out. But if you have a Arai head, stick to the RX-7. The new one looks pretty nifty, but I think they are over $1k even for a plain one? Don't buy the Shoeis. I reckon they are a rip off. Flogbox, what does the Ducati one look like? $600 sounds pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

4. Senior Member
      05-13-2009 09:04 PM #109
      Kris, how does it feel reverting back to riding? Nice feeling isn't it? How is the Honda? Goes well? You had a 250 before right? So the 600 must be a lot more fun. As for my sore arm, the Monster is a lot less upright than the 3 wheeler lol. But as Flogbox said, Monsters (despite being a naked bike) isn't that upright. Which is why I prefered the Triumph initially. But I am getting used to it.

Flogbox, did you have the Termis when you had the stalling issues or did you put it on at a later stage?

5. 05-13-2009 09:39 PM #110
      This is mine.

They had the below Arai Ducati helmet there aswell but they were the wrong size for me - to big from memory. I think $850? Although on the Ducati AU website in the store they had a medium on special for $400 or something crazy. I needed a large, DOH!

Ducati won't put the Termi pipes on until after the first 1,000km service is done. So the stalling all happened on stock pipes (and stock mirrors if that makes a difference LOL). Go for an all day ride on the weekend and the bike will ride better. A shame you aren't in Sydney otherwise i'd say lets hit the Putty Rd on the weekend

6. 05-13-2009 10:56 PM #111
      Yeah its good and bad. ****ing moron drivers. Honda is good, had a major service, valves, cam chain, rear chain, fluids , plugs, grips and whole rear caliper. All up inc bike $4k

Just got full leathers last week, dainese delmar & pelle pants so im feeling more secure.

Booking myself in for a few stayup right courses. Bike Goes like the clappers now alot nicer than a 250 but i think I could use more poke.

I'm already looking at something newer, 848 is nice and gsxr 750 k9 is nice too.. Upgraditis

7. Senior Member
      05-13-2009 11:09 PM #112
      Quote, originally posted by flogbox »
      This is mine.

They had the below Arai Ducati helmet there aswell but they were the wrong size for me - to big from memory. I think $850? Although on the Ducati AU website in the store they had a medium on special for $400 or something crazy. I needed a large, DOH!

Ducati won't put the Termi pipes on until after the first 1,000km service is done. So the stalling all happened on stock pipes (and stock mirrors if that makes a difference LOL). Go for an all day ride on the weekend and the bike will ride better. A shame you aren't in Sydney otherwise i'd say lets hit the Putty Rd on the weekend

Yeah I could learn a thing or two from better riders. But I have a few mates in Melbourne who are keen riders, so I am dying to get out there with them. Btw, I don't need to wait till weekend to go for a long ride. I haven't worked for like 6 months! Wished I had gotten this in summer so I could ride it more. Now it's a little chilly at times in Melbourne. By the time summer comes along again, I will probably be working again. As for the helmet, I just checked the Ducati online store and the one you showed is like $869. Got me excited when you said it was $400! The Suomy one is on sale at $499. But I don't like that one. I really like the one you posted!

Quote, originally posted by s8n »
      Yeah its good and bad. ****ing moron drivers. Honda is good, had a major service, valves, cam chain, rear chain, fluids , plugs, grips and whole rear caliper. All up inc bike $4k

Just got full leathers last week, dainese delmar & pelle pants so im feeling more secure.

Booking myself in for a few stayup right courses. Bike Goes like the clappers now alot nicer than a 250 but i think I could use more poke.

I'm already looking at something newer, 848 is nice and gsxr 750 k9 is nice too.. Upgraditis

Your leathers must have cost you 1/3rd the price of your bike! Lol. Go for Ducati 848, in white! Love it love it love it. Then go to Superbike school and learn how to ride it like a pro on the track.

8. 05-13-2009 11:32 PM #113
      They actually cost 1/2 of my bike LOL Infact, my gear nearlly costs more than the bike (sidi vertigo, teknic gauntlets, shoei xr1000)

yeah, 848 in white = sex

Still just a tad more than i wanna spend on a bike though... used, still 20k

Modified by s8n at 8:42 PM 5-13-2009

9. Senior Member
      05-13-2009 11:45 PM #114
      Quote, originally posted by s8n »
      They actually cost 1/2 of my bike LOL Infact, my gear nearlly costs more than the bike (sidi vertigo, teknic gauntlets, shoei xr1000)

yeah, 848 in white = sex

Still just a tad more than i wanna spend on a bike though... used, still 20k

Modified by s8n at 8:36 PM 5-13-2009

Now here is a man who knows how to protect his skin! More important to spend the money on the protective stuff for sure. But it's still funny that your leather cost half your bike and the rest of your protective gear cost as much as your bike!

As for the 848, yeah not the cheapest bike out there. Maybe you can look into a Triumph Daytona 675? I hear they are a mad sports bike and there is even a brand new one for sale in Melbourne (the guy wrote off his old one and insurance company replaced it instead of giving him cash and he wants out). But I still can't get over how annoying the sewing machine whine is on the Street Triple R. Given it is the same engine on the Daytona, I am sure it is just as bad. Some people really like it though!

10. 05-13-2009 11:49 PM #115
      im a **** rider, i need all the protection i can get!

yeah, not a daytona fan.. mate at work as a triple something.. the naked one with daytona engine and i'm not a fan.

The gsxr looks the pic to me, I think going from a older 600 to a newer 600 will leave me wanting in 3months and going from a 600 to a litre bike is just madness.

So, 1000cc too big, 600cc too small. Leaves 750 or a 848 etc.

11. Senior Member
      05-14-2009 12:24 AM #116
      I would just go for a litre bike. These days, the power is so smooth and the bikes are nice and light so no real issue. Go test ride a few and see how you feel. Going from an older 600 to a litre bike isn't that crazy. Going from a 3 wheeled scooter with 400cc to a 1100cc brute bike is a bit crazier than that. But seriously, I've had no issue adapting after 30 mins of riding and like you, I am very much a novice when it comes to bikes. What I do find is that because I understand weight transfer, throttle balance etc from my regular car tracking, I just use the same principles on the bike and I am able to go pretty fast without too much drama.

12. 05-14-2009 02:13 AM #117
      I must be the only guy who doesn't like the white superbike Ducati's. At first when the pic came out on the net i thought awesome. I saw the bikes in real life and it was an instant 'soft on'.

Litre bikes are the go. Providing you give the machine respect, you will not die. I don't enjou having to work hard to get power, instant response is my style! Go the TWINS!

13. Senior Member
      05-14-2009 08:30 AM #118
      Yes, I think you are the only person not to like the white Ducati superbikes! The new 1198 is white is likewise .

Btw, what is a good Ducati or Monster forum? There are a few around but which is a good one? I should learn more about my bike.

14. 05-14-2009 08:44 AM #119
      i spotted a white 848 on the move recently and it looked the goods.

also: nicely modded

15. 05-14-2009 11:19 AM #120
      Quote, originally posted by WAY »
      Yes, I think you are the only person not to like the white Ducati superbikes! The new 1198 is white is likewise .

I don't like white Ducatis either. Unlike Ferraris, Ducatis MUST be red.

16. 05-14-2009 06:14 PM #121
      WAY - The Ducati MS forum below is pretty good. I'm not really on any of those forums, i just read when i want info.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Samaritan - I was going to buy one of those, until i found out the riding position is basically the same as the 848/1098 and opted for the Monster. Absolutely stunning in real life. I'd get a yellow with black stripe!!

17. Senior Member
      05-14-2009 08:13 PM #122
      Eddie, love that bike! I personally would get the old school look Ducati over a 1198, I guess cos I would never ride fast enough to justify a 1198. Very nice bikes those. But as Flogbox said, the riding position just isn't friendly. I guess they are modelled after the racing bikes of old, so the riding position is to be expected.

Flogbox, thanks for the link. I will sign up.

18. 05-14-2009 08:21 PM #123
      Not reallly a fan of the white either. looks starwars/toyota corolla and weird.

19. 05-14-2009 09:20 PM #124
      ..But as Flogbox said, the riding position just isn't friendly...

in the words of aussie jimmy & mdt: "harden the ***-up!"

i hope to be at ducati at lunch doing a nick myles on one of these

Modified by The Samaritan at 6:21 PM 5-14-2009

20. 05-14-2009 09:24 PM #125

haha christ somehow i missed the pics in this thread, i dont care how good this bike is, uglys ugly bro. My mind cant fathom the array of mismatched colours, materials, shapes and lines that culminate in this fast moving mess.

But dont mind me, carry on.

Vehicles
      '10 Golf GTD
      05-14-2009 10:20 PM #126
      Quote, originally posted by Manny Bothans »

You're just high off Maccas breaky

Re the bike pic tho - i'm surprised there's no cover for the underside of the engine... it's probably meant to look like that tho - but it just looks too minimal.

great looking bike tho

VW MKVI Golf GTD - Black | Sunroof | MDi | Manual | RNS-510 | Hyper Silver GTC CX 18" | ChipExpress

22. 05-14-2009 11:18 PM #127
      looks sorta like an azn sweatshop knock-up

23. 05-15-2009 12:21 AM #128
      Quote, originally posted by VDUB2C »
      i'm surprised there's no cover for the underside of the engine... it's probably meant to look like that tho - but it just looks too minimal.

You've never owned anything mechanical from Italy, have you?

The engine cover bolts would be the first things to wear out. ask any Alfa owner.

I think it looks ok. Not sure about the advanced girder truss design in the frame, but I guess that is fashion/function...

24. Senior Member
      05-15-2009 01:46 AM #129
      Quote, originally posted by Manny Bothans »

haha christ somehow i missed the pics in this thread, i dont care how good this bike is, uglys ugly bro. My mind cant fathom the array of mismatched colours, materials, shapes and lines that culminate in this fast moving mess.

Don't be a hater. We know deep down you like it.

25. Senior Member
      05-15-2009 02:08 AM #130
      I just came back from a 50km ride. When I bought the Monster, I told myself that I would never ride in the rain as it is far too dangerous with so much low end torque. Anyway, it started raining for a brief while when I was out today. I knew the rain was inevitable, but the urge to ride that thing is too strong! So I have a question. Is there a bike wash sort of place? I don't have the facilities where I live to wash my cars/bikes, so I have to take it somewhere. The bike isn't that dirty yet, but if I keep riding in the rain it will be very quickly. Given I have co-owned 2 bikes and owned 3 myself, would you believe it if I told you that I have never washed a bike before and have no idea where to start or what products to use? True story.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-15-2009 03:17 AM #131
      Does anyone know when is the next Moto GP ? I can't find anything on ebroadcast website.

Thanks.

The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

27. Senior Member
      05-15-2009 06:39 AM #132
      It's this weekend...at Le Mans!

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-15-2009 06:56 AM #133
      It's this weekend...at Le Mans!

I know that. I am trying to find out when it's going to be shown over here.

What you on about ?

29. 05-15-2009 07:05 AM #134
      sunday ch10 23:10

30. Senior Member
      05-15-2009 07:17 AM #135
      Quote, originally posted by J-Tim »

I know that. I am trying to find out when it's going to be shown over here.

Oh...11.10pm on Ten HD in Melbourne. Go Casey!

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-15-2009 07:45 AM #136
      Thanks guys!
      What you on about ?

32. 05-18-2009 01:35 AM #137
      Ok, where is WAY?

I was expecting another gushing report by now...

33. 05-18-2009 02:06 AM #138
      Quote, originally posted by auR32 »
      Ok, where is WAY?

I was expecting another gushing report by now...

yeah, it's better than Penthouse Forum.

the other cool but daggy thing I've noticed about all Way's purchase... and this is really endearing ,... he goes for a cool brand, but not neccesarily the cool product, nor does any of the image fit with Way's own personal image. It all comes off as being nerdy enthusiasm, and very close but no cigar. Sort of like if Danny Zuko from Grease had not been played by John Travolta, instead played by Christopher Walken. He can sing, he can dance, he can look tough, but it wouldn't have worked. I always love Way's threads... he's like the 1980's Knight Rider Fan-Boys who couldn't locate or import an Pontiac Firebird, so would buy Nissan Starions and put the neon strip light between the pop-up head lights. On their own, the Nissan's were cool, but when they tried too hard, they failed. Not epic enough for a Poll thread of course, but enough for a slightly confused "WTF", and then a giggle, and shake of the head.

Modified by Osqar at 7:08 AM 5-18-2009

34. 05-18-2009 02:52 AM #139
      WAY - whatever you do, DONT pressure wash the bike!!!!!

To clean your bike you need a garage, warm soapy water, sponge, cloth to dry. For the wheels, i whack some prepsolve on a rag and it cleans the gunk off in a jiffy!

Bikes in the wet are ok, you just need to seriously back off. Ride like you are on a 49cc scooter and stay away from the painted lines!!!! The cyclists on here will tell you how deadly they are!

As for the MOTO GP i have to say Rossi, Lorenzo, Stoner, Pedrosa are bloody entertaining. I think Lorenzo is an absolute madman which makes him entertaining to watch. Can the Yamaha trailer fit both Rossi's and Lorenzo's ego's on board?

I can get Hayden is spewing he went to Ducati. Everyone says those bikes are bloody hard to ride, he's gone from a front runner to a no name. Such a shame.

35. Senior Member
      05-18-2009 08:20 AM #140
      Quote, originally posted by Osqar »

yeah, it's better than Penthouse Forum.

the other cool but daggy thing I've noticed about all Way's purchase... and this is really endearing ,... he goes for a cool brand, but not neccesarily the cool product, nor does any of the image fit with Way's own personal image. It all comes off as being nerdy enthusiasm, and very close but no cigar. Sort of like if Danny Zuko from Grease had not been played by John Travolta, instead played by Christopher Walken. He can sing, he can dance, he can look tough, but it wouldn't have worked. I always love Way's threads... he's like the 1980's Knight Rider Fan-Boys who couldn't locate or import an Pontiac Firebird, so would buy Nissan Starions and put the neon strip light between the pop-up head lights. On their own, the Nissan's were cool, but when they tried too hard, they failed. Not epic enough for a Poll thread of course, but enough for a slightly confused "WTF", and then a giggle, and shake of the head.

Modified by Osqar at 7:08 AM 5-18-2009

ANother Osqar pearler. Only problem is, Starion is a Mitsubishi and not a Nissan.

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast