Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Fish

1. 07-22-2002 01:20 AM #1
      We're trying to eat more fish, but I don't have much experience preparing it. So give me your best filet or steak recipes! I prefer firm fish like tuna, halibut and salmon (and formerly swordfish, until I learned it was it was being overfished ) and bold flavors, but I'm open to most suggestions.

Here's what I made tonight (on the George Foreman grill), a slightly modified version of a recipe at Epicurious, and it was VERY VERY easy and most excellent.

1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
      1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
      1/4 teaspoon cayenne
      1 tablespoon minced garlic
      1 tablespoon minced onion
      3/4 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      2 salmon filets (1 pound) each about 1 inch thick
      2 teaspoons unsalted butter

In a bowl stir together the black pepper, the paprika, the cayenne, the garlic, the onion, the thyme, the salt, and the oil until the mixture forms a stiff paste. Pat the paste onto both sides of each salmon filet. Heat an oiled ridged grill pan over moderately high heat until it is smoking and in it sauté the salmon for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until it is cooked through. While the salmon is cooking, in a small microwave bowl, melt the butter. Transfer the salmon to heated plates and pour the butter over it.

Serves 2.

Original recipe here: http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=12840

[Modified by mgratzer, 9:21 PM 7-21-2002]

2. 07-22-2002 05:17 AM #2
      My Dad, I think, just sprinkles some salt and pepper on the fish filets and then just fries them, it comes out looking like steak.....it's really good, I love it!

3. 07-22-2002 05:35 AM #3
      I use this recipe when camping. Clean the fish (duh) and remove head. Scale the thing too. After the nasty part is done, rub some butter on both inside and outside, put in whatever seasoning you want (I use seasoned salt, pepper and basil) wrap in aluminum foil and put it on the grill. Turn it every 5 mins. or so until done. Tastes great and keeps moisture in. Also, its REALLY simple. (as if you didn't notice)

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      07-22-2002 08:44 AM #4
      Here's a salmon recipe I invented a few years ago:

Bunch of fresh dill
      Whole seed French dijon mustard (the kind that's mostly mustard seeds). The Grey Poupon variety works OK, too.
      Olive Oil.
      Salmon filet

Chop enough dill to make a cup or so of dill. Roughly half of a typical grocery store bunch. Put in small mixing bowl.
      Add mustard. Maybe 2 tablespoons.
      Moisten with olive oil, maybe 2 tablespoons.
      Mix. Makes a thick paste.

Put salmon on broiling pan skin-side down. Easier cleaning if you put aluminum foil on the pan first since the skin sticks to the pan.

Slather the dill/mustard onto the salmon. You want a good thick 1/4" coating over the whole filet.

Broil for about 10 minutes. Don't worry if the dill chars a little. With a fork, separate the fish in the middle... when it's done, the salmon shouldn't be translucent and should separate easily.

Pull it off the broiling pan with a spatula. Usually, the skin stays on the pan.

5. 07-22-2002 10:12 AM #5
      trout (whole - 1 fish serves 2 people):
      buy a whole trout...have the fishmonger gut it for you if you don't wanna do it yourself. stuff with fresh dill (don't chop it or anything -- just use the whole herb). cut several slashes in the sides of the fish adn stuff these with a little more dill and lemon juice. salt & pepper to taste. bake in 350 oven until cooked (~7-12 minutes depending on size of fish and amount of stuffing). Goes great with baked new potatoes.

mild fish fillets (snapper, halibut, mahi mahi, sea bass, grouper):
      sauteed in pan with fresh mango (or peach) salsa. I'll post the recipe when I have more time. This is our standard method for cooking fish that isn't salmon, tuna, or trout.

tuna steaks:
      grilled
      blackened
      we usually cook tuna steaks just long enough to sear the outsides (the inside is still 90% raw). It's VERY easy to overcook tuna, as you probably know if you've ever ordered it at a restaurant that doesn't know what they're doing. we dry rub them with black pepper, a little salt, and a little cayenne. sometimes we marinade them in a soy/spicy teriyaki-ish sauce we make (soy sauce, ginger, garlic, pepper, pineapple or citrus juice of some kind, honey). we've successfully made tuna meatballs & burgers before, too, using ahi tuna steaks (talk about $$$ burgers!!! (but we got them half price so it was ok)) that we chopped finely, formed into balls with some herbs and an egg yolk or two, and then sauteed in a covered le creuset french oven. good stuff, esp with a horseradish mayo.

ummm. we tried monkfish once, but didn't like it. some people do, though, and it's called "poor man's lobster" for a reason.

it's hard to beat saltwater-soaked and panfried sunfish....

6. 07-22-2002 10:23 PM #6
      Pan Seared Scallops
      Fried Calamari
      But My Favorite Salmon Recipe is

Grilled Salmon Steaks

4 salmon steaks 1-inch thick
      1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
      1 teaspoon whole coriander seed
      1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seed
      1 teaspoon dry green peppercorns
      Sea salt or kosher salt
      Canola or olive oil to coat steaks

Prepare grill by lighting 4 quarts of charcoal (1 starter chimney's worth), or turning gas grill to medium-high.

Examine steaks for pin bones by rubbing fingers over surface of meat. If found, remove with bone tweezers or pliers reserved for culinary uses.

Using a sharp paring or boning knife, trim bones from the cavity side of the steak. Trim the stomach flaps so that 1 side is missing about 2 inches of skin and the other, 1 inch of meat. Roll the skinless section up into the hollow of the cavity, then wrap the other around the outside to form a round resembling a filet mignon. Tie in place with 2 passes of butcher's twine. (Do not tie it too tight or fish will pop out during cooking.)

Combine cumin, coriander, fennel and peppercorns on a double thick piece of aluminum foil and toast over grill, shaking gently until seeds become fragrant. Crush seeds in mortar and pestle or pour into spare pepper grinder. Coat steaks lightly with oil, season with salt, then liberally grind toasted seeds on both sides of steaks.

Quickly wipe hot grill grate with a rag or towel dipped in a little Canola oil, then grill fish to medium rare, about 3 minutes per side. (Fish should be well colored on the outside and barely translucent at the center.

[Modified by aliengti, 9:29 PM 7-22-2002]

7. 08-14-2002 08:01 PM #7
      here's a good tuna recipe I got off "Good Eats":

1/2 cup soy sauce
      1/2 cup honey
      1/4 cup wasabi powder
      enough sesame seeds to cover the fish

- mix up the marinade (save a little for dipping later) and throw in your tuna steaks - let sit for 30 minutes to an hour.
      - spread out sesame seeds on a plate and roll the fish around so its covered
      - cook on grill at EXTREMELY high heat (Alton Brown used a jet-engine looking device that was glowing orange hot) just enough to sear the outside and leave a good bit of pink in the middle (rare).

- dip into the sauce which was set aside earlier and enjoy!!

AB actually did a 2x4x6 block of tuna and sliced it afterwards dipping the slices in the sauce.

When I make salmon (sockeye preferred!), this is the recipe I use:
      coat with olive oil, cracked pepper, salt and lemon juice. Grill skin down until mostly done (slightly moist in the middle - it will continue to cook a bit after you take it off the heat - overcooking produces dry fish!! ).

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      08-15-2002 08:15 AM #8
      quote:
      1/2 cup soy sauce
      1/2 cup honey
      1/4 cup wasabi powder
      I make something like that but 1/4 cup of wasabi is serious overkill. A tablespoon to a cup of liquid will still clear your sinuses. If you use much more than a teaspoon of wasabi, you won't taste the fish.

Other things you can toss in are:
      chopped green onion/scallion
      a tablespoon of sesame oil
      rice vinegar
      japanese mirin
      sake

9. 08-15-2002 06:53 PM #9
      Monk Fish and Orange Roughy are 2 other great fish that cook easily and taste unbeliavable.

10. 08-15-2002 07:22 PM #10
      yeah, it is pretty strong - but on a really thick cut of fish it is ok. And makes a good dipping sauce; just make sure you don't get too much!!

11. 08-15-2002 10:56 PM #11
      quote:

1/2 cup soy sauce
      1/2 cup honey
      1/4 cup wasabi powder

mmmmm that sounds good - my mouth is watering now... way to go now i'm hungry

12. 08-16-2002 07:10 AM #12
      Orange Roughy is my favorite type of fish!!! I wish I could get it more often.

Vehicles
      14 RS5, 01 S4, 14 SQ5 on order
      08-17-2002 11:23 PM #13
      sounds weird, but is very good - keeps moisture in:

cover fish with thin layer of mayo mixed with curry powder, then cover with breadcrumbs/salt/pepper/dill and bake. I wish I had the exact recipe, I have to ask my dad.

Vehicles
      2014 Audi A4 Quattro
      08-18-2002 02:48 AM #14
      quote:
      Orange Roughy is my favorite type of fish!!! I wish I could get it more often.

The world Orange roughy population is down to 1/6th of what it used to be. These fish don't breed till they're about 25yo, and are being fished out of existance and are actually close to being on the endangered species list

Sean Winkler
      Sales & Leasing Consultant | Barrier Audi
      Office: 877-243-2181
      Cell: 425-750-5007

15. Moderator
      Vehicles
      93 Corrado
      08-18-2002 07:41 PM #15
      An old friend of mine would never give away any black sea bass,
      I now know why

16. 08-18-2002 08:03 PM #16
      I'll give ya a lil Asian flava...
      1/4 lb white meat fish (I use Tilapia or Bass) sectioned into four
      use a plastic container that's big enough for all the pieces...
      enough soy sauce to marinate one side of the fish
      a teaspoon of sugar for each piece and a pinch of salt and pepper
      cut some ginger and place on top of of fish and some scallions
      Steam (i put the container inside a pot with water) and when done cooking pour some hot oil on top
      I know, it's a ghetto recipe but it came out great!
      Let's Go Jets/Mets/Nets

17. 08-19-2002 03:26 PM #17
      Halibut (or something like it)
      Lemon slices, salt, pepper and fresh dill.
      Put fish on aluminum foil, salt and pepper it. Rip up some dill and put it on top. Cover with lemon slices and make a packet out of the foil.
      Put on a grill for a while (10 minutes? Depends on size of fish).
      Eat! Simple, and pretty good for not a lot of work.

18. 02-08-2004 12:26 PM #18
      Cedar plank salmon

This is best when you're serving a lot of people at a barbecue with a huge slab of fish. It's a bit of a production for individual meals.

Soak a cedar or alder plank in water for 1/2 hour.
      Place salmon filet on plank.
      Slather with a little salt, pepper, olive oil
      Place plank + fish on a hot grill for ~20 minutes or until salmon is done to your liking.

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      02-08-2004 02:47 PM #19
      I live alone, so the closest to fish I get now is Mr. Gorton's offerings.

20. 02-08-2004 08:24 PM #20
      Orange roughy is the greastest! I had 4 of them a week ago and I'm craving some as I type. I also love perch, salmon, and flounder.

21. 02-09-2004 12:11 PM #21
      Cedar Plank Salmon is heaven on earth.
      Pan fried trout is very close.
      Perch at the nasty little rats of the sea, and should never, ever see a plate.

22. 02-09-2004 01:04 PM #22
      +

Fresh Great Lakes walleye and some Zatarain's
      will put you right where you need to be!

23. 02-10-2004 04:31 PM #23
      talapia with a little tony chachere's original creole seasoning..

24. 08-31-2007 02:15 PM #24
      BBQ Salmon

1) Mix soy sauce, chopped tarragon, lemon juice, grated ginger, and garlic (sugar for a little sweetness if wanted).

2) Pour over salmon and let marinade for 20-30 mins.

3) Take foil and create a pouch. Place salmon, cut up potatoes and other veggies you like into the pouch.

4) Place on grill. Cook time is probably 15-25 mins! Delicious!

Modified by iheartmy92vw at 1:39 PM 9-4-2007

Vehicles
      2013 VW CC Sport+
      08-31-2007 02:41 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by GMoney »
      +

Fresh Great Lakes walleye and some Zatarain's
      will put you right where you need to be!

x1000

I miss Walleye fishin up there. I havent been back there in almost 8 years

26. 08-31-2007 03:03 PM #26
      Halibut, olive oil (not e.v. - it'll burn), salt + pepper is all you need.

Grill over charcoal or in a cast iron skillet a few minutes each side, and you're good to go with some delicious fish. Watch out for bones.

Man, halibut is one fugly fish. It's gray-black on one side and white on the other. Creepy.