Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DIY: Dubtechnik Side Skirts

Vehicles
      05 GTI 1.8T
      05-09-2009 09:43 PM #1
      My opinion:

I had done a lot of research on Dubtechnik side skirts and probably read every thread regarding the quality, fit, etc. before I purchased them. I was skeptical of the "bow" commonly found but I knew it could be fixed. And at $120 for the set, they were a steal. I am completely happy with my purchase and I would definitely recommend them. I did, however, have the common problems with shipping that Dubtechnik is so famous for. My skirts never made it to my doorstep, but an email and a phone call solved that problem. Overall: to Dubtechnik.

The DIY:

Here is a DIY for everyone looking to paint/install these side skirts. Just like my last DIY for factory valances, this will be “The Idiot’s Guide to Dubtechnik Side Skirt Installs.” Be aware that I use a paint gun to paint the side skirts, but you can purchase your paint and clearcoat in spray can form if you don’t have a paint gun available. If you choose this method, the quality may not be what you’re hoping for. *Note* This is simply a set of guidelines for you to follow. Do not hold me accountable for any mistakes you make.

Final Product:

Approximate Cost to Paint and Install: $120-$150

Materials Needed:
      2 x Can of Dupi Color Filler Primer
      1 x Can of Extra Solids Activator
      1 x Can of Clearcoat
      1 x Can of Urethane Reducer
      1 x Pint of paint color of your choice (Paint codes can be found here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1076723)
      3 x Roll of 3M Super Strong Exterior Mounting Tape
      1 x Tube of Window, Door, Molding, etc. Caulk/Silicone
      1 x 8 oz. Bottle of Rubbing Alcohol
      1-2 x Sheet of 400 Grit Wetordry Sand Paper
      1-2 x Sheet of 600 Grit Wetordry Sand Paper
      1 x Paint Spray Gun (hopefully you have one)
      2 x 3 ft. 1x2” Wood (Used to fix the “bow”)
      1 x Hot Glue Gun
      1 x Person Capable of Helping You
      Multiple Towels/Rags

*Important* Create a dust/clutter free work zone!

Step 1: Start by removing the lowest screw in the wheels well behind the front tires and test fit the side skirts to make sure they are going to fit properly. Drill a hole in the front of each side skirt once you have lined them up with the hole in the wheel well. You will use this screw to attach them to the car.

Step 2: Cleaning the side skirts with some water and a towel just to remove any dust particles on them from shipping. Now get out the Filler Primer and shake it really well for about one minute before you start spraying. Do about 3-4 coats. The last coat should be thicker than the previous. Let the side skirts dry for about 5-10 minutes between each of the coats. Let the Filler Primer dry for at least 30 minutes. It should look like this:

Step 3: Get out the 400 Grit Wetordry Sand Paper and a bucket of water. While sanding, make sure to keep wetting the sand paper. Sand lightly until you have a smooth, even surface. This shouldn’t take long since the side skirts are fiberglass. Wipe the surface clean with a rag.

Step 4: Do another 1-2 coats of Filler Primer. Again, remember to allow 5-10 minutes of time to dry between coats, and at least 30 minutes for the final coat to dry.

Step 5: Now use the 600 Grit Wetordry Sand Paper. Again, sand lightly until you have a smooth, even surface. Wipe the surface clean with a rag. You are ready for paint at this point.

Step 6: Mix your paint with the Urethane Reducer in a 1:1 ratio. The paint must be thinned before you apply it. Use a Paint Spray Gun to spray even coats on the side skirts. Do about 4-5 coats. Allow 5-10 minutes of dry time between each coat. After the final coat, let the paint dry for at least 1 hour. It should look like this:

Step 7: Mix your Clearcoat (4) with the Extra Solids Activator (1) in a 4:1 ratio. Clean out your Paint Spray Gun and apply roughly 4-5 even coats. Allow 5-10 minutes of dry time between each coat. After the final coat, let the side skirts dry as long as possible (minimum of 8 hours).

Step 8: You are ready for install at this point. First, clean the rocker panel with rubbing alcohol to remove and dirt and debris. Then, place a line of the 3M Mounting Tape a couple millimeters from the edge of each side skirt. When you are ready to proceed, remove the red strip covering the sticky part of the tape. Using your Person Capable of Helping You, start from one end (front or back) and mount the side skirts to the car.

Step 9: You have probably noticed the bow in the side skirts by now. The solution I thought would work best to this problem is to cut two 3 ft. 1x2” pieces of wood down to about 3 ft. 1x1.25” and place each between the under-side of the car and the side skirt. Adhere the wood using a hot glue gun. Apply glue to both the under-side of the car and the side skirt. Voila! No more bow!

Step 10: In order to ensure a lasting adhesion, it is important to seal the gap above the tape between the side skirts and the car. For this, run a line of the caulk/silicone along the top of the side skirts. This will probably be messy and frustratingly difficult to remove any excess, but you will thank yourself in the long run. Keep a bucket of water and some paper towels handy for assistance. The instructions are on the tube of caulk. *Note* Some of the caulk will probably end up on the car, so try to make the layer as thin as possible. This will be easy to remove once it has dried. Let this dry for a minimum of 2 hours.

Enjoy your work! I hope this DIY helped.

Modified by ApeX2 at 6:48 PM 5-9-2009

Last edited by ApeX2; 11-30-2010 at 04:51 PM.

2. 05-09-2009 09:49 PM #2
      PICS dont work dude

nvm they do now

Vehicles
      Car that looks good from afar.
      05-09-2009 09:56 PM #3
      read through it all and the DIY looks great for learning how to paint them. but did you discuss adjusting them for proper fitment? not all skirts will seat properly against the rockers when theyre put on, so you may want to mention something before painting them about installing them. marking areas that need to be sanded down to allow the gaps to close up and then sanding them till the whole thing sits flush is the process i used.

nice though

|| Mk4 Wheel Offset and Stance Picture Index || ClearWaterDubs || ClearWaterDubs@VWVortex ||
      || Please don't PM me with offset questions, post in THIS THREAD instead ||

Vehicles
      83' Wabbit, '00 fy GTI, '02 TT
      05-09-2009 10:55 PM #4
      nice write up! they came out great

Vehicles
      mkiv gti (killed) mkiv .:r32 (unicorn sh!tbox).
      05-09-2009 11:32 PM #5
      wow, awesome info, great diy..
      @j__cermak <-- (double underscore).

Vehicles
      2002 GTI, 2007 Wolfsburg
      05-10-2009 12:50 AM #6
      hmm....im not as scared to try dubtechnik as i was before...

Vehicles
      8 Rings / TDI
      05-10-2009 12:53 AM #7
      For a great DIY
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      China's main industries are spitting, noisy soup eating, and blatant copyright infringement.

Vehicles
      '03 PG GLi
      05-10-2009 05:12 AM #8
      Perfect! Just the thing i was looking for.....i currently have a pair of skirts in my room, waiting to be painted/installed. This will be saved for the near future except no shipping issues for me! Guess i'm lucky? Ohh well...Great post
      |||Eurowerks5||| ***The Midwest's Premiere European Car Show*** |||June 25, 2011|||

"I need the life version of Icy-Hot"

Flickr

9. 05-10-2009 05:26 AM #9

LOOKS GREAT!!!

here are my GLI dubtechnik skirts being test-fitted..note: NO bolts/tape..they fit snug! cant wait to paint and install em!

Modified by cityxstar at 2:28 AM 5-10-2009

05-10-2009 10:42 AM #10
      good write up i will be getting these soon.. as the price is a factor for me and the quality is preetty decent

Vehicles
      mk4/mk5
      05-10-2009 10:45 AM #11
      wow dude, great write up, i gotta fix the bow in my sideskirts

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      05-10-2009 12:07 PM #12
      Excellent DIY write up

Please add this to the faqs.

Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A4
      05-10-2009 12:17 PM #13
      yeah these side skirts are awesome i'm on my second set right now, first set cracked in the middle because my car sits too low and i went up an akward curb at kfc lol. My only complaint was that they don't have the tabs to connect underneath like OEM ones so i was skeptical at first, but for the price they're unbeatable! and if mounted correctly they don't budge.
      Cincinnati, OH

Vehicles
      ///M3
      05-10-2009 12:19 PM #14
      looks good and you did a great job. Personally, I'm not very satisfied with using a piece of wood under my skirts to make the fitment on point. kinda ghetto

Modified by shimmy2244 at 9:20 AM 5-10-2009
      -brandon

15. 05-10-2009 12:32 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by shimmy2244 »
      Personally, I'm not very satisfied with using a piece of wood under my skirts to make the fitment on point.

I agree. But I think that my only issue with using wood in that application is that it is exposed to the elements and is not treated. I just worry what will happen in a year when it starts to bow and twist a bit.

I have seen others user large, rubber fender washers before; kind of always liked that idea...

Anyhow, looks good. Paint laid nice.

Modified by DeutschConvert at 9:37 AM 5-10-2009

16. 05-10-2009 01:35 PM #16
      wow this makes my diy look like crap

sweet write up

Vehicles
      05 GTI 1.8T
      05-10-2009 01:36 PM #17
      The wood I used is actually a very durable aircraft wood. Hopefully it will withstand the terrible weather we constantly get in sunny south Orange County... . I considered other options as well like high-density foam (probably the best choice but I couldn't get my hands on any) and small pieces of PVC, but the wood seemed to give the straightest and most consistent line

Vehicles
      '03 PG GLi
      05-11-2009 03:47 PM #18
      So if someone like myself would actually be in a bit of weather, as this will be my DD in MN, do you think this 'aircraft wood' will suffice?? Or should i try one of your other ideas?
      |||Eurowerks5||| ***The Midwest's Premiere European Car Show*** |||June 25, 2011|||

"I need the life version of Icy-Hot"

Flickr

Vehicles
      05 GTI 1.8T
      05-12-2009 02:37 AM #19
      The best solution is probably high density foam. I searched a lot of stores and couldn't find any. hopefully you'll have better luck

05-12-2009 11:30 AM #20
      i'm calling bull****: as i give it a week till they don't stick anymore if this is how you even did it. tried this route (as well as another) to see if it would work before my final mounting, and it doesn't.

as a note to everyone reading this, nothing sticks to rough fiberglass which are how the backsides to these all are.

the company that makes these can lick my sack, unless you want to give me the money back for the wok i had to put into them considering i paid more than $120 & had to fix cracks from shipping in these as well as my bumper

Vehicles
      05 GTI 1.8T
      05-12-2009 11:46 AM #21
      They've been on for over 2 weeks now and I've had no problems whatsoever. The glue is just extra security. There is enough upward pressure from the skirts that it holds the wood without glue. If i do have any problems with the glue not sticking to the fiberglass, I'll get some high density foam like I had originally planned. For now, there are no problems and they look great.

Vehicles
      2000 2.0L Volkswagen Jetta
      05-28-2009 12:48 PM #22
      Nice write up This will come in handy when I go to mount mine.
      Jenny the Jetta | Flickr | IG : Shelleyldub | 8v Society #86

Vehicles
      05 GTI 1.8T
      11-30-2010 04:50 PM #23
      mine are still holding up great. paint is as good as day one. no problems with these skirts whatsoever.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      mk4
      04-20-2011 06:40 PM #24
      Got my skirts yesterday, this DIY is exactly what I needed to guide me through... i know this is an old write up, but thanks to dubbin18 for giving me the link.

ApeX2 thanks for the great, detailed DIY write up!

Vehicles
      vr6 Gti
      08-25-2011 08:24 PM #25
      what kind of skirts are these?