Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In car autocross video thread

Vehicles
      92 MK_2(SOLD) -- 2011 Ducati 848EVO (SOLD) -- 95 Jetta 3 City
      02-27-2012 02:43 PM #101
      DNF'd two times its ok. it was fun and im exided about the next...

Roses are red Violets are blue, BLA BLA BLA BLA MK_2

Vehicles
      97 911 C4S, 95 911 C4, 08 MCS
      03-11-2012 01:39 PM #102
      I think this was the worst run of the day
      http://contour.com/stories/run3-spins

3rd fastest of the day, even being all the prepped cars with my street tires stocker.
      http://contour.com/stories/run-4-fastest
      I like cars.
      Flicker
      Photobucket

Vehicles
      02 Z06, 13 GTI
      03-23-2012 02:57 PM #103
      My first RWD car, still learning to drive it.

Vehicles
      Five two-seaters, two hatchbacks, and a big ass pickup truck
      03-24-2012 08:06 PM #104
      Autocross season has begun in the Washington DC area. We started last weekend with NCCBMWCCA, instructing newbies at their school. Before they wrapped up for the day they let us instructors have a few more runs in our cars and this was my best:

Parsimonious Racing - autocrossing Miatas in the Washington DC area and beyond

Vehicles
      03-24-2012 08:28 PM #105
      And today was the first points event for NCCBMWCCA. After a downpour in the morning, the afternoon was nonstop drizzle. I was driving a very good STR 2006 MX5 instead of my regular STS Miata and the power difference is pretty significant. I had a couple spins during the day but my clean runs were pretty decent. The car's owner beat me by half a second or so, which wasn't as bad as I expected, so that's encouraging.

We're back in action tomorrow for the season opener for Autocrossers Inc. at the same lot. I put what's left of last year's R1Rs on so I'm hoping for less rain or we're going to be done for.

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 09:41 PM #106
      Today I was back in my familiar STS ride for the season opener of Autocrossers Inc here in southern Maryland. Drizzle/mist in the morning meant another wet day, though I opted for my nearly bald R1Rs leftover from last year. Sam Strano designed the course and it was a good one, though I didn't get a shot at it in the (mostly) dry till fun runs late in the day. My best time was good enough for 7th out of 20 in the PAXed "pro" class.

WDCR SCCA kicks off next Sunday with a non-points practice event at FedEx Field.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 GTI
      03-31-2012 05:11 PM #107

Could be faster but I placed very well for my first time.
      Crdered a contour plus and a roll bar so I should have some better video next time.

Vehicles
      04-02-2012 02:55 AM #108
      Washington DC region SCCA practice event. I got 3rd out of 9 in STS, PAX'd 56 out of 196

(In the cornfields west of) Allentown, PA
      Vehicles
      Miata, Maverick, GTV6, VibeGT
      04-02-2012 01:06 PM #109
      2nd event in the car. Steering is HARD.

This is something of a 'what not to do' video:
      -holding myself in the seat with the steering wheel
      -hand position is all over the place
      -not looking ahead
      -pretty far off the cones

Still managed 36 of 125 in PAX. Somehow. I am tempted to throw shocks and a sway bar at the car. It's really fun muscling the thing around, and having some power to work with for once. My poor Miata is going to feel neglected.

Top video has nice sound, bottom one just has wind noise, turn it down.

Last edited by Roadkilled78; 04-02-2012 at 01:29 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      81' Jetta. 95 M3
      04-04-2012 10:57 PM #110
      Just GoPro...no in-car

Vehicles
      04-08-2012 02:42 AM #111
      No official events held this weekend, but we took advantage of the Evolution Performance Driving school holding a Phase I school at our hometown ballpark on Saturday. Don't know why we haven't done an Evo school before this point but now that it's done I'm glad we did. I started out pretty quick and over the course of the day I only picked up about 1.5 seconds over a 35ish second course, but I doubt I would have made anything near that kind of progress trying to do it on my own. It's money well spent.

Slaloms have been kicking my butt quite a bit going back to the West course at Nationals last year, and I think I got a lot better at getting into slaloms and keeping neat and tidy in them today.

Next weekend I do my first Pro Solo. It should be interesting.

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      81' Jetta. 95 M3
      04-10-2012 12:38 AM #112

New one from our 3rd event..

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 08:31 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
      Next weekend I do my first Pro Solo. It should be interesting.
      See you there. We'll be running RTR in a '97 prepped for ES (but no lsd) so you STS Miata guys are our target/benchmark
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 04:13 PM #114
      Forgot to say hi!

Wish it rained Sunday morning. I ended Saturday on a high note (see video) but choked Sunday.

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 04:49 PM #115
      I was kind of all over the place. Spun it thru the finish on the right course. Drifted the left course off camber sweeper, spun there on another run. 0.490 redlit my good Sunday right side run. Tons of fun though!

Finished 7th in class. Decided running RT at a Pro is probably futile with a 2wd vehicle. We managed 2.4 second 60ft times, comparable to the top of ES and STS yet were still down by 0.7 seconds at the 60-ft mark to the rally cars in RT. Even more by the end of the acceleration zone, and with only 30 seconds on course we couldn't make up the time in the corners.

I didn't drive all that well, was 2 pax seconds behind Marshall in the MINI. Every time I watch the video below I cringe at what I did wrong. But it's slightly reassuring that to win RoadTire in a Miata the top ES drivers would have had to throw on street tires and go back out and run the same times. Or DiSimo & Brown in STS could take all the suspension mods off their car and go back out and run the same times. Holy. Cow. I want a WRX.

Last edited by Roadkilled78; 04-18-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Vehicles
      2015 BMW M235i, 2007 Ford F150
      05-01-2012 08:22 PM #116
      First event of the Northwestern Ohio Regional SCCA autocross at the Chrysler Toledo Machining Plant. Driving a stock 2007 Mazdaspeed 3, only mods are a Corksport rear sway bar and Hawk HPS pads, and new rotors. Ran in the RTF class under D stock, finished 3rd out of 4, but not by much. This is only the start of my second season, so please enjoy, or then again, criticize!

Oh yeah, managed to finish 41 of 106 by PAX index, so not too bad IMO...
      Last edited by AKPAB; 05-01-2012 at 09:27 PM.
      For once, reality and his brain came into contact, and the result was fatal. Thomas Henry Huxley, on the death of Samuel Wilberforce, as the result of an equestrian fall.

Vehicles
      05-05-2012 08:11 PM #117
      I instructed at another NCCBMWCCA autocross school today, and it's still fun. Instructors got to play at the end of the day and this is one of those runs.

Tomorrow is the first points-paying WDCR SCCA autocross at FedEx Field.

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 02:09 PM #118
      Darn thing rolls like a sailboat.

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 11:32 PM #119
      I'm pretty happy after Sunday. Eight drivers in STS for the Washington DC season opener. I had a .7-second lead over my primary rival ("Slava") entering last runs. He ran just before me and picked up eight tenths, but he only got to enjoy being on top for about 20 seconds as I found three tenths on my last run to retake the lead and score the class win. The wife got fourth so we're starting the local SCCA season on a good note.

I was 52nd in PAX (top 23%) on a horsepower course driving a car with none, so I'm OK with that. Hoping to be top 20% this year but we're going to need tighter courses and/or better driving for that.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 TDI wagon, '72 GT6, '73 1800ES, '64 Mini
      05-10-2012 09:55 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      Darn thing rolls like a sailboat.
      Still looks like a good run. I must have missed it... what is wrong with the Miata?

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 04:17 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Ian F View Post
      Still looks like a good run. I must have missed it... what is wrong with the Miata?
      Needs front main seal. Timing pulley was glued (loctited, eopxied, whatever) to the crank by the PO after a crank nose repair. Solution: use as commuter car only until I feel like dealing with it properly.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 TDI wagon, '72 GT6, '73 1800ES, '64 Mini
      05-10-2012 04:39 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      Needs front main seal. Timing pulley was glued (loctited, eopxied, whatever) to the crank by the PO after a crank nose repair. Solution: use as commuter car only until I feel like dealing with it properly.
      Hmm... sounds like you need one of these:

Vehicles
      05-27-2012 02:56 AM #123
      Got another opportunity to drive my buddy's class-winning STR NC Miata, though this time in fantastic weather conditions so we could bolt on a set of Kuhmo 710 R-compounds. We ran with the local BMWCCA chapter at the hometown ballpark, which also had a big dog expo going on at the same time so we lost some lot space for that. This resulted in a pretty short course (FTD was very close to 31 seconds) but it was a decent day regardless. In a small race tire class I was 4th out of 5, but I was a good co-driver because I did not beat the car owner.

The wife drove our STS car and had a really good day, winding up 5th in a 16-driver non-BMW small bore class.

Next week it's back to FedEx Field for the second SCCA points event of the year.

Vehicles
      97 911 C4S, 95 911 C4, 08 MCS
      05-27-2012 11:06 AM #124
      From yesterday. Was beaten by a Boxter, driven by 2 National Champs. But my scratch was only .2 off them.

I like cars.
      Flicker
      Photobucket

Vehicles
      06 Stage 2 GTI, 82 Stage 3 G60 Rabbit, 85 F-250
      05-27-2012 12:04 PM #125
      Here is my first place run in STX last weekend. I know you can't see the course well but I wanted to see how close to the cones I was getting on the passenger side
      Team Reaper of the BABE 2012 road rally proudly supports Susan G. Komen for the cure in memory of my Mother, who lost her fight with breast cancer in 2003
      Please go to our team donation page to make a donation to help end breast cancer forever!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast