Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Canceled Extended Warranty. No Refund? Honda vs. CNA.

Vehicles
      2011 Rustang. Secretary Edition.
      05-15-2009 03:17 PM #1
      Alright, so when I bought my Civic SI in November I went ahead and got the Extended Warranty. It gave a zero deductible (if used at that dealership they cover the normal $100 deductible) 100k mi warranty. It also had a buyback clause in case you decided you weren't going to keep the car that long.

On 4/6/09 I went and filled out the paperwork to cancel the warranty. With the fees, I'd only lose $60, but I already knew I wouldn't be keeping the SI long enough to take advantage of it. Was told in 30 days, I'd have $1240 credited to my account at American Honda Finance.

Talked to CNA National today (the warranty company) to see what the status was because it had been quite a while, and they said they had never gotten ANY paperwork.

Called my dealership, talked to a manager, he said they'd figure it out and get back to me. 2 hours later I get a call from the finance guy who screwed it up in the first place claiming they didn't have any paperwork on it and I needed to bring in all my copies since they were not able to locate their own.

All this stuff is in computers right? They can't really lose this stuff. I've got 2 hours before I can go tear into them, but at this point I'm trying to figure out what the scam is, and who is to blame.

Modified by elementpb at 3:20 PM 5-15-2009

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2000, '05 MDX, '06 Accord EX-L
      05-15-2009 03:34 PM #2
      Sounds like the dealership owes you $1240, plus interest.
      You think I ain't worth a dollar, but I feel like a millionaire.

Vehicles
      05-15-2009 03:43 PM #3
      That was my thinking as well (and I wasn't even going to bring up the interest), but from the brief conversation I had, I was told "Well, all we can do is refile the paperwork and then its out of our hands, so you have to wait."

I wonder if the warranty covers vehicles driven through the dealership.

Vehicles
      93 mustang gt, 04 Tahoe, 13 DRZ400SM, 04 yz250
      05-15-2009 03:45 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by rice is burning »
      Sounds like the dealership owes you $1240, plus interest.

x2. i would demand some compensation, like a free t-shirt or something. that is bs.

Vehicles
      90 Miata, 13 Leaf
      05-15-2009 03:48 PM #5
      Did you fill out paper work or an online form? Is it not possible that everyone is telling the truth and the paperwork never really got filed, or got lost? Don't go all crazy just yet!
      1990 Miata
      2013 Leaf
      2018(No, Really!) Locost 247

6. Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2009 03:50 PM #6
      They want to submit the paperwork because that way the salesman keeps the profit from the warranty, probably about $100 or maybe less. I used to know the dealer cost on those things, I'm assuming you bought the 7/100k version.

You might offer to let them keep the markup and just give you a check for the balance. Make them show you the cost book. I know that's B.S. but it would probably get a check in your hands today or tomorrow, rather than waiting around for them to submit the paperwork, then have you apply for the refund.

I'm just suggesting that because you're not gonna hire a lawyer over $1240 and if you did, they could just argue (when you finally get to court) that they complied with the contract and you have no real claim against them; you're getting what you bargained for in the original signed contract. Their failure to comply in a timely manner has cost you nothing in actual dollars; it's not like you ate a $2000 repair because of their slackness.

7. 05-15-2009 03:52 PM #7
      They have no paper work of the application FOR extended warranty or to cancel?

8. 05-15-2009 03:55 PM #8
      Did you buy the Warranty on a credit card? If so, file a chargeback. The dealership WILL find the paperwork lickety split....
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

9. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Protege
      05-15-2009 04:06 PM #9
      Just one of the many reasons I get a knot in my stomach just thinking of setting foot on dealership property for ANY reason.

Good luck getting this straightened out. I'm no good on advice with this as I'm getting angry just picturing the situation.

Vehicles
      05-15-2009 04:08 PM #10
      Got the warranty when I was signing the papers on the car so it was rolled into the financed amount.

I'm more concerned by the conflicting story about who is supposed to issue the refund. Both CNA and the Dealership claim the other is the one who will refund me.

The only reason I'd need to involve a lawyer is if I broke a toe while putting my boot in someones ass. I'm not sure the exact legal grounds, but if a burglar can sue a guy for cutting himself while breaking into his house, I've got a case right?

11. Banned
      05-15-2009 04:14 PM #11
      This is similar to the mess I went through with Nissan. They were giving me all kinda of stories about not having documents, then when I faxed them 3 times they wouldn't get back to me anymore. Even made 2 60 mile trips in vain.

Eventually I received mail from the dealership containing a check from Nissan. It took 3 months and too much stress.

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      05-15-2009 04:14 PM #12
      Yes, even if they don't have the paperwork (possible - may be filed at another location), they should have the saved copy from which they could just print another copy of the contract out with.

It is possible that the ESC paperwork was not sent to the company, which would mean that the dealer would have the money on their books still. This would be crazy accounting though, if you bought the car in November!

Good luck!

| œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Madone 7.9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

13. 05-15-2009 04:18 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by elementpb »
      Got the warranty when I was signing the papers on the car so it was rolled into the financed amount.

I'm more concerned by the conflicting story about who is supposed to issue the refund. Both CNA and the Dealership claim the other is the one who will refund me.

The only reason I'd need to involve a lawyer is if I broke a toe while putting my boot in someones ass. I'm not sure the exact legal grounds, but if a burglar can sue a guy for cutting himself while breaking into his house, I've got a case right?

Um..well..I think you could probably sue for almost anything. Would you win and is it worth your while is the better question.

Vehicles
      FR-S
      05-15-2009 04:55 PM #14
      Getting an extended warranty on a new Honda =

Speed:Sport:Life
      History | Some Caymans | 2011 Mustang GT | Diesel Benz | 3 Civics | 91 Galant VR4

Vehicles
      05-15-2009 06:07 PM #15
      results:
      They are refiling the paperwork, but dating it back to the 20th of april so that the finance office has to process it by the 20th of this month.

They refused to do anything more than this.

I guess case closed, but I'm not thrilled.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2009 06:17 PM #16
      Yeah, they don't wanna change the deal. No big surprise there. Not like they're stealing your $1240.

At least not since you caught them.