Well this one's the wifes so I can't take all the credit.
My wife Tosha has been mad at me since 2005 when I traded our 1.8T Jetta in for a MkV GTI. Lately she's had the Jetta IV bug, and when this car came up for sale (cheap!) I knew it would be a good project for her.
This is an '01 Jetta GL 2.0 - we're talking base model here - crank windows (woot!), cloth, manual trans, no sunroof. Pretty cool actually, never seen a MkIV Jetta with crank windows! Anyway, this thing only has 34k miles on it but the P.O. installed an EIP stg2 turbo kit at 20k and drove the snot out of it. Broke axles, spun bearings, and finally hurt the engine bad enough to park it and part out the turbo stuff.
We bought the car sans-turbo, but still installed are: SACHS Stg2 clutch, Peloquin LSD, full EBC brakes, Neuspeed stainless exhaust and other goodies! We towed the car home Thursday and started tearing her down Friday. After two days' worth of work Tosha and I have the motor out and much of the body stripped! We sourced all the parts for a hybrid 16v using the 2.0L block and crank, so expect to see a MkIV Jetta with 16v under hood soon! On Day 2 we went to the paint store (for the second time) and looked at hundreds of color chips before deciding on two main colors for the new look.
We're coming for you, 2.slow...
Day 2 was interesting! It went something like this:
10am: Began calling around to confirm all 16v parts needed. Turns out BBM is backordered on two of the adapters needed for TB relocaton.
Also discovered that many of the parts I planned on ordering from club members and Vortex were either not right, or didn't exsist.
Lunchtime: Tosha and I made the final color choices and mixed the paint! No turning back now!!!
5pm: I began work on the Jetta while Tosha ran home to get the boys. Drained the oil, but when I pulled the plug it looked like a little metal flower...
Also found this to be interesting:
I didn't remove those bolts either. Only three holding it in. Hmmm...
Tosha arrived and immediately started pulling moldings, bumper, and tail lamps.
My buddy Pete showed up just in time to help lift the 2.dead out of the bay!
Another day down with good progress. Time for a !
Tonight I sit down to my computer to find that someone on Vortex has offered to sell their BBM adapter flanges to me (thanks elRey!), and many of the 16v parts
that were MIA this morning are turning up in other sources! A good day after all. Tomorrow the engine gets torn into... that should be real interesting...
Oh and on a sidenote, as mommy and daddy were playing with their toy car, my 2 year old son Carter was playing with these and my 12-year-old, Quentin was prepping his R/C car for paint. haha
End of Week 1:
Not too much to show even though we've been working hard. It's just at that point where we're doing lots of little things that are hard to see. Mostly cleaning and prep work. Tuesday night Tosha got the sides ready to be shaved. Tonight Quentin and I finished getting the engine bay cleaned then we scuffed it for paint. Tosha cleaned the jambs really well and we started masking them off. The plan is to paint jambs and bay next week so she's ready to accept the engine as soon as it's ready. We can also paint the underside of the hood and cut the fenders in. When that's done the car can go back together and we can really start on the body work and shaving. Not the easiest way to do it, but it is the most time-effective!
Removed the exhaust mani from the head today and sent it for blasting, then it's going to get a coat of ceramic.
Next time you see this, it's going to be a lot prettier.
Tosha continues to be motivated. Hopefully this keeps up. Then again, I could use a break maybe one day this week. Anyway, lookit her go!!!
And from here we will begin updating daily!
Pics uploaded here daily: http://public.fotki.com/Sprayw...v-jet/
"Finished" pics on page 24!