Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Project in my Mind: The Expedition Truck

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-25-2009 10:47 AM #751
      ^ Just driving that thing is like strapping down a Greenpeace member, whipping it out, and urinating slowly and lavishly on their forehead.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      06-25-2009 10:57 AM #752

Vehicles
      2005 Nissan Xterra
      06-25-2009 10:58 AM #753
      Quote, originally posted by x_Diesel_x »

Well it's part of the 'perceived' quality of them..
      Toyota knows that their trucks have competition.. and since their inception they have been at it to make em reliable, durable and able to comply with the tasks at hand.. and so far they have.. all around the globe, a TOYOTA compact truck is gold..
      Nissans are quite good.. and for the money they offer the goods.. but if you go Toyota you know you are getting a bit more of peace of mind.. the reliability is there, already there are tons of guys going crazy with them and they are standing up to the tests.. so you know that if you go with one the only way you are going to want to part ways is if you get tired of it.. cause the truck won't quit you..
      At the end of the day is about what feels good to you.. do try em both and make the call.. that's how we did..

I agree with you on older Toyota's of the '90s but today Nissan trucks are top notch. The VQ engine they use is reliable and powerful. I have an '05 Xterra and I really drive it hard and have not had a single problem. I'm not saying Toyota is bad I just prefer the Nissan engine to the Toyota engine.

4. 06-25-2009 12:33 PM #754
      not sure if this has been posted in this thread, but how about a Mahindra?
      not for sale in the US until 2010 IIRC, and a little ugly, but TONS of potential.
      http://www.mahindrana.com/
      diesel?
      check
      towing?
      check
      fuel efficient?
      check
      offroad capability?
      check
      mid $20,000 price range?
      check

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      06-25-2009 12:39 PM #755
      re: Mahindra -- I'll believe it when I see it.

6. 06-25-2009 01:39 PM #756
      Quote, originally posted by Sporin »
      re: Mahindra -- I'll believe it when I see it.

Autoblog was reporting a couple of days ago that you could sign-up now for test drives...
      Of course, that means nothing until the little buggers are actually Stateside.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1984 Jetta GLI 1978 Rabbit
      06-25-2009 01:46 PM #757
      Just bought a 4 Wheel Camper on an 86 Dodge W250.
      I hadn't been in one of these before. They are surprisingly roomy inside. Lots of good storeage, the bed over the cab is nice. Having the soft upper sides gives it a totally different feel.
      Camper is like this one.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-25-2009 01:54 PM #758
      Quote, originally posted by jaystone »
      not sure if this has been posted in this thread, but how about a Mahindra?
      not for sale in the US until 2010 IIRC, and a little ugly, but TONS of potential.

It was brought up a while back, yeah.
      Crosslander left me very dubious, but a flat coat of NATO sand and some expedition gear would sharpen up the looks OK for me. I still have doubts that it's f'real, but I'd check it out if they go on sale.

The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1994 Land Cruiser
      06-25-2009 02:47 PM #759
      Here's the new family truckster... purchased today, we should have it in about four-six weeks depending on the shipping schedule to Walvis Bay.

The details.
      94 LC80 Petrol/AT 8 seater, 52,000 km, right hand drive don't know if it has lockers (don't care either way).
      I'm ordering ARB front and rear bumpers soon, the rear will feature left and right swing away tire carriers. Later I'm adding an Eezi-Awn roof rack with dual jerry can hold and a Series 3 roof top tent. A safari snorkel will probably be added in the not too distant future as well.

Modified by CBJ at 2:51 PM 6-25-2009

Vehicles
      8 Rings / TDI / LWB
      06-25-2009 04:28 PM #760
      Quote, originally posted by Turbiodiesel! »
      ^ Just driving that thing is like strapping down a Greenpeace member, whipping it out, and urinating slowly and lavishly on their forehead.

Ahahahaha
      I'm really digging the Iveco Turbo Daily models.
      http://www.daily4x4.iveco.com/

PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Great, a Chevy Lumina thread. Now I'm going to have an erection lasting more than four hours.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-25-2009 05:42 PM #761
      Nice ride, CBJ. Good call on the Eezi-Awn - made right there in SA.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      06-25-2009 07:29 PM #762
      Quote, originally posted by job »
      Autoblog was reporting a couple of days ago that you could sign-up now for test drives...
      Of course, that means nothing until the little buggers are actually Stateside.

Yeah, pretty sure I signed up for a Crosslander test drive as well.
      I'll believe it when I see it.

Vehicles
      '08 STi, '96 TLC
      06-26-2009 12:08 AM #763
      $2000 for an '83 4x4 Suburban diesel
      http://bend.craigslist.org/ctd/1240155906.html

Modified by Andy GTI at 11:09 PM 6-25-2009

Vehicles
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '01 325i '08 Xterra
      06-26-2009 01:25 AM #764

I signed up, color me skeptical as well.
      http://www.mahindrana.com/test-drive-mahindra.html
      Do you want to ride to 60 in three seconds or drive there in five?

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      06-26-2009 08:56 AM #765
      Canadians and their more lenient import rules can get some sweet Japanese trucks. I always wanted to build an expedition diesel high roof Land Cruiser.
      http://www.luxuryimports.ca/fo...x.php

http://www.luxuryimports.ca/fo...x.php

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      06-26-2009 08:58 AM #766
      Here you go, PERFECT! ADVENTURE READY - Toyota LandCruiser HDJ81 VX LTD RV!
      http://www.outbackimports.ca/s...63-02

Modified by Sporin at 9:02 AM 6-26-2009

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-26-2009 08:59 AM #767

Whatever caused that to fall through?
      Saw one in Brazil, but failed to take a pic.

18. 06-26-2009 09:08 AM #768
      Quote, originally posted by Andy GTI »
      $2000 for an '83 4x4 Suburban diesel
      http://bend.craigslist.org/ctd/1240155906.html

Modified by Andy GTI at 11:09 PM 6-25-2009

Weren't those the diesels that ruined the public opinion of diesel engines in the USA? The SBC that was inadequately redesigned to run on diesel fuel instead of gasoline?

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-26-2009 10:31 AM #769
      Continuing the Iveco theme....

The Massif looks pretty good....

Vehicles
      1999 Cosmic Green Jetta TDI
      06-26-2009 11:14 AM #770
      Quote, originally posted by jaystone »
      Weren't those the diesels that ruined the public opinion of diesel engines in the USA? The SBC that was inadequately redesigned to run on diesel fuel instead of gasoline?

No. That was the 5.7L (350) engines in mid- and large-sized GMs.
      The 6.2L diesel in the Suburban is a great engine, better than the 6.5L that followed it. Slap a Banks turbocharger on the 6.2L for ideal performance, while still pulling 20mpg.
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      Wow, TCLers are not a photogenic bunch
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      My god...this thread is pure homosexual excellence.

Vehicles
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '01 325i '08 Xterra
      06-26-2009 12:45 PM #771
      Whatever caused that to fall through?
      Saw one in Brazil, but failed to take a pic.

They ran out of money for the US market and ARO went bankrupt shortly after.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Lander
      Do you want to ride to 60 in three seconds or drive there in five?

Vehicles
      Rovers and German buffet
      06-27-2009 03:43 AM #772
      They didn't have an airbag in that Crosslander either. Kinda important these days.

Here's a curveball. It's one of my favorite Concepts. Suzuki introduced it at SEMA in 2006. Built by a group in Cali if memory serves. "Basecamp"

Who knew an XL-7 could be done SO right!?! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-28-2009 05:01 PM #773
      That IS done pretty damn right. That faired-in roof box is pretty nice - matches the roof contour nicely where it meets the roof.

Vehicles
      tonka truck, some old junk, a "few" motorcycles..
      06-28-2009 11:39 PM #774
      After being 'off the grid' for a bit.. I finally had the chance to catch back up on the thread. Great stuff.

Quote, originally posted by dbreid »
      You really only have a couple choices.
      1.) Stand it up inside the rear of the truck off to one side. If it fits vertically, then just mount it that way. If you do this, my advice is to just make a cover for it, and buy a mattress at IKEA and cut it to fit around the tire. Then just sleep around it. Moving spare tires sucks....
      2.) Roof. This is good because it keeps it out of the way (and if you need the spare, you'll have time on your hands anyway), but it makes the COG higher, and depending, it might be too heavy for the roof of the topper.
      3.) Mount it as either a flip down rear, or as a swing out. Definitely the most expensive option, but also the most effective. ons are that it makes it longer, harder to park, and makes it tougher to load the rear. I admit that there are times when I wish I didn't have the swing out, but for me, there was no other option.
      4.) I suppose you could technically put it up front on the bumper, but I never liked that visually. Save the front bumper for the enduro bike mount and the winch.
      I don't see a "flat in the bed" spare as an option.
      Just my .02

On #1, it does fit vertically, though it hangs out quite a bit past the top rail of the bed and the hub sits high, to where fabricating a mount will put a *lot* of leverage right where it would wind up having to be and there's unfortunately not a good way to cross brace it, while still having it be easily removable, as I do occasionally throw a couple motorcycles in the bed (2 forward facing, 1 wedged backwards up the middle) and chuck the spare in the cabin.. as it does fit there with the rear seats folded down. Seriously.
      I do like #3. Expensive isn't an issue. All it would cost me is the steel stock. I'd either TIG it if I wanted it pretty or mig it up myself. The parking thing I hadn't thought of, but that is a good point. Thanks for bringing it up. I'll definitely be mulling over this option a bit...
      Quote, originally posted by Realbrit »
      Lifting a 37" spare onto or off a roof would require a fair bit of strength.
      What about adapting something like this?
      http://www.atera.de/x_Bilder/p...t.jpg
      I bet a fellow of your fabrication talents could easily adapt the bike mount to a hub.

That's actually not a bad idea either. Build a winch or hoist type setup attached to the cross bars and have it fold down and out of the way. Definitely good thinking. I like it. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      So this does put the tire out in the slipstream a bit, but no more than having it on the roof. But here's a picture of the (ridiculously desirable for expedition work but mooted for production gaah) Jeep Gladiator Concept:
      http://www.allpar.com/model/je...r.jpg
      In which, the spare is mounted on the side of the bed. If you've got the fabrication skill, a mount could be tinkered up pretty quickly. Your quad cab makes this a little trickier, and the Gladiator's flareside setup makes it cleaner aerodynamically; you'd likely have to overlap the rear fender flare just a bit.
      Not sure how you make this work with a topper, either, because the easiest mounting point might be the bed sidewall - and drilling into the side of the bed might not be strong enough. Hrm.

Modified by Turbiodiesel! at 5:06 AM 6-16-2009

There's another option I quite like. The only thing is I think I'll wind up coming up short on space between the wheel house and cab for it to sit well and look right. D'oh. I'll have to measure in the morning. Would be a fun way to go for sure. Great idea. I'll definitely have to look into it. Heck, I'm sure I have some old bed mount spare stuff kicking around from a few classics truck anyway that I could more than likely reuse and tweak to work, if the space is there. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I've never been a fan of spare on the roof. I'm a pretty beefy guy and even I'd hate to get it up there or pull it down. Good way to hurt yourself. Plus I'd need a ladder.
      I want to fab a vertical mount in the back of my 80 using the existing mounting holes from the 3rd row seats. 35's take up a LOT of room though.
      Modified by Sporin at 11:19 AM 6-16-2009

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. My 35" package comes in at ~100lbs per corner as is, and it will only be going up if I swap up to a 37". That's a lot of weight to be throwing around... and considering most roof racks have a ~175lb max recommend load capacity, it doesn't leave a lot of leeway for gear, lights, my high lift, etc.

Gary C - see my suggestion for your tire issue on the previous page.
      Thing I'm starting to wonder about is how much work I'd really have to do to the suspension. If I go with a Nismo Frontier or TRD offroad Toyota or something, that does a lot of mods for me. I'm thinking that I'd be best off, long term, with an Old Man Emu type setup, that'd boost cargo capacity, comfort, and offroad performance....but then, this is NOT going to be a rock-crawling trail rig.

Modified by Turbiodiesel! at 5:57 AM 6-16-2009

That is a good point. The OME type setups are usually held in extremely high regards. That said, I've personally ran into great luck in the past (better than with OE type 'off road' packages) with quality after market goodies. The setup I run on my slug is actually warrantied for life as well... even against stupidity. Seriously. If you bust a bracket, split the drop beam in half, whatever. Call 'em up, They'll ship out a new piece and you just ship the old one back. I've never had to use it myself, but I know people that have (CC diesel trucks come down HARD when jumping dunes... put it that way. )
      Anyway. Thanks for all the ideas folks. Greatly appreciate it. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by Gary C at 10:40 PM 6-28-2009
      make shiny.
      If crazy paid the bills.. I'd be freaking rich.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-29-2009 08:40 AM #775
      Ok, so this is gonna demonstrate the depth of my gear whoring, but check this baby out:

It's a dome tent with inflatable beams rather than poles. Spendy, but it packs down to volleyball size and sets up in 45 seconds.
      Makes you wonder if a really compact, light rooftop tent could be formulated using the same technology....

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast