Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: P0117, Overheating, No Cabin Heat.. Water Pump?

Vehicles
      o1 Jetta 2.o
      05-26-2009 12:48 AM #1
      I have a 2001 Jetta 2.0.. Last fall it started randomly overheating. Whenever this happened, there would be no heat in the cabin so I parked it for the winter and figured this spring I would replace the thermostat..

Today I replaced the thermostat and it seems to be the same problem. It rises to normal operating temp, hovers for awhile, then begins to slowly max out. Lower hose on the drivers side gets hot, hose running to the thermostat stays cool and I don't feel much pressure in either hose. I am assuming this is my water pump but have been told by others that I need to "burp" the system. I attempted to purge all of the air but I haven't seen any effect.

Also, even when reaching max temp, my radiator fans do not come on. Using VAG-COM i pulled a code P0117 (Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Low). My coolant temperature sensor is maybe 1 year old. Just curious how these would all tie together. Searched around and find mixed "cures". Ideas?

Vehicles
      vw
      05-26-2009 03:51 AM #2
      When cold, coolant does not circulate into the radiator. The coolant fan is turned on by the coolant sensor on the radiator, the coolant seems to be absent in the radiator.
      Once the coolant heats up and the coolant is deverted into the empty radiator by the thermostat thru the top hose, then the coolant level will need to be topped off. It may take a few cycles of warming up, cooling off, and topping the coolant level.

I don't know if your valve head has a steam hole, connects a hose to the coolant reservoir. If it's plugged, it shouldn't, there may be gas trapped. My older car has a steam hole.

Modified by jorge r at 12:54 AM 5-26-2009

Vehicles
      o1 Jetta 2.o
      05-30-2009 06:44 PM #3
      No steam hole, but im pretty sure it's my water pump. As far as I know its the original plastic fin water pump and the car is packing about 65k on it now..

4. Member
      Vehicles
      84 GTI,84 GLI coupe, 78 Scirocco
      05-30-2009 11:07 PM #4
      If the little hose on the bottle is not peeing you got yourself a timing belt water pump job

5. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      05-31-2009 10:42 AM #5
      2X waterpump

Vehicles
      2 92 corrado slc,97 gti,01 cabrio,97 cabrio
      05-31-2009 11:58 AM #6
      no all wrong dont you guys know all vw need the cooling systemmust be blead when any work that involves draining the system. remove all air pockets before you go blow your money on stuff you dont need.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      05-31-2009 06:51 PM #7
      Heat cycling the cooling system was already mentioned by the Op and another Poster.

It normally takes my MKIII Golf GL (3) heating/operation cycles to remove all the air bubbles from the cooling system after it's been opened.

Failure of the plastic impeller VW waterpumps is common and has been documented many times.

Since the OP mentions allowing the system to heat and cool (cycling), I still lean towards a failed plastic waterpump impeller.

Vehicles
      o1 Jetta 2.o
      06-06-2009 12:09 AM #8
      Update:

Replaced water pump, timing belt and tensioner. Car no longer overheats. Thanks for the help dudes.

Fans still don't come on though.. Dont know how to fix that one. Already replaced the coolant temperature sensor and the sensor thats housed in the radiator, no change. I'm puzzled.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      06-06-2009 12:15 AM #9
      Could be a blown fuse. Did you check the fuse on the cooling fan control module (front of the left inner fender under a clear cover)?

Vehicles
      o1 Jetta 2.o
      06-07-2009 01:11 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by germancarnut51 »
      Could be a blown fuse. Did you check the fuse on the cooling fan control module (front of the left inner fender under a clear cover)?

I will check that tonight. Haven't even considered a fuse. Thank you. I have a habit of overlooking all the obvious fixes.

Ill keep you posted.

11. Banned
      06-07-2009 09:04 PM #11
      short the connectors on the Fan control switch .... if it works that sensor is bad.. i have like 3 brand new extra ones i can send you for free... if it dosent work the fan control modual or fan itself may be tits up