Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to remove carpet

Vehicles
      2010 VW Jetta 2.0T 6MT
      05-27-2009 10:54 PM #1
      Hey all,

I recently got my car back from the shop, there was a nasty leak in the passenger footwell area. The problem was evidently there since before I owned it (about a couple months) and it just now started raining so I just noticed it, however I guess there was a mold problem that developed.

I found out from Volkswagen that the carpet is $1600 alone, so that route is out of the question (I can't afford it) and my insurance company will not cover it (the deductible is $1000 anyway).

So I was wondering about trying to kill the mold and fix it up that way. I was able to remove some mold that developed on the mat so I might be able to do it.

I was wondering if anyone has experience pulling the carpet up out of these cars. I imagine that it's just the metal tabs that hold the interior trim down there in place but I don't want to start rippin stuff up without knowing.

Thanks much

Mylan

2010 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition, 6MT

2. Member
      05-28-2009 04:23 PM #2
      I'm not sure how it comes up, but I can tell you it's not that simple. There's a thick padding under the carpet and they're glued together. I don't know what holds the padding down, but it wasn't obvious. I had to get under the carpet to run wires for my amps and it was a major pain.

Good luck.

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Jetta 2.0T 6MT
      05-28-2009 06:44 PM #3
      Ugh that sucks. But I'd rather not spend $2000 if I can avoid it. I shouldn't have to get THAT much up, it was only that 1/4 of the car that got water in it, and I only need it up enough to get some **** to kill mold in there. Thanks for the heads up. I may end up getting the repair manual anyway hopefully it mentions how to get the carpet up.
      2010 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition, 6MT

Vehicles
      oil burning 06 passat FSI
      05-28-2009 06:46 PM #4
      its really all labor when it comes down. all day labor
      updating....