Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 433 of 577 FirstFirst ... 333383423429430431432433434435436437443483533 ... LastLast
    Results 15,121 to 15,155 of 20169

Thread: The Official Scirocco Chit Chat Thread!

Vehicles
      82 Scirocco~Rodolfo~85 Vanagon~El Guapo~
      03-19-2012 11:30 PM #15121
      Quote Originally Posted by vwdaun View Post
      Ok, first of all, the Passat management / intake stuff is going to be a TIGHT squeeze in the Scirocco engine bay. Possible? Yes, but not very attractive. If you can find the intake bits from a 16v Scirocco it will look a whole lot better and perhaps be easier to work on in the future.

Exhaust: The 8v parts will not bolt up to the 16v parts. Not even close. You will **have** to use a setup for an A1 chassis w/ 16v, the only thing from the factory with this setup was the Scirocco 16v. Or you can use an A1 16v aftermarket header.

I'm with Tony on this one - figure out the issues with why the 1.7 isn't running first. It's not a great engine, but it's usually easier to start with known issues than adding more potential problems right from the start.
      You better be with me or I would have to....oh....well
      yes the 1.7 was the crappiest of all the engines in these, but a good working 1.7...its bullet proof...trust me i have abuse that lump...
      Wanted:Cirrus gray PS fender for S2 (one can dream) 1) Check your stash 2)Let me know
      WTB CHEAP Mk3 ABA manual Starter also WTB@h20i Mk1 strut tower mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      The engine does not need oil, it runs on awesomeness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber View Post
      And coyotes are actually pretty cool to get along with if you don't mess with 'em.

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8t, 82 Scirocco 2.0 16v
      03-19-2012 11:33 PM #15122
      Quote Originally Posted by Neptuno View Post
      Look at Cathy instigating!!!! before yo go ripping into stuff make sure you have the bible for both cars (Bentley) expirienced hands and that you really have thought this out...It is not just a blind I think Im going to do this thing...

If it was me I would sort out the 1.7 get it right and then think of the swap...but that is just me...i have been like a bone collector for the last 3 years...and im yet to swap the 2.0ABA/JH with boost

Oh meant to ask what color is the interior in that 82 cedar green?
      I have both Bentley's, All Data,and a VW tech at my disposal.
      The fuel distributor needs replaced on the 1.7, I took it apart for "cleaning" .... there was no cleaning or rebuilding it. The car runs great on starting fluid tho.

The interior is mostly grey, and the headliner/ pillars/visors are white. I'm going to work on the car Thursday all day, I will be snapping a few pictures to post up.

I appreciate all the advice though, I will definitely do more research before barreling ass into the swap.

Vehicles
      03-19-2012 11:40 PM #15123
      Quote Originally Posted by mk3vrdub6 View Post
      I have both Bentley's, All Data,and a VW tech at my disposal.
      The fuel distributor needs replaced on the 1.7, I took it apart for "cleaning" .... there was no cleaning or rebuilding it. The car runs great on starting fluid tho.

The interior is mostly grey, and the headliner/ pillars/visors are white. I'm going to work on the car Thursday all day, I will be snapping a few pictures to post up.

I appreciate all the advice though, I will definitely do more research before barreling ass into the swap.
      In the mean time finf the FD from a 1.8 and put it in the car. It will work if all else is good to go..
      Wanted:Cirrus gray PS fender for S2 (one can dream) 1) Check your stash 2)Let me know

And coyotes are actually pretty cool to get along with if you don't mess with 'em.

Vehicles
      03-19-2012 11:44 PM #15124
      Quote Originally Posted by vwdaun View Post
      Ok, first of all, the Passat management / intake stuff is going to be a TIGHT squeeze in the Scirocco engine bay. Possible? Yes, but not very attractive. If you can find the intake bits from a 16v Scirocco it will look a whole lot better and perhaps be easier to work on in the future.

Exhaust: The 8v parts will not bolt up to the 16v parts. Not even close. You will **have** to use a setup for an A1 chassis w/ 16v, the only thing from the factory with this setup was the Scirocco 16v. Or you can use an A1 16v aftermarket header.

I'm with Tony on this one - figure out the issues with why the 1.7 isn't running first. It's not a great engine, but it's usually easier to start with known issues than adding more potential problems right from the start.
      That helps alot! Definitely not trying to create any more issues for myself.
      This is the first older volkswagen that I've worked on.
      I've had mkIII's and mkIV's , so this is my first stab at a volkswagen older than myself.
      I just want to do things right, verses " this will kind of work"
      Half assing is not something I want to be associated with.

Again, Thank you guys. I really appreciate it.

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 12:08 AM #15125
      In the mean time finf the FD from a 1.8 and put it in the car. It will work if all else is good to go..
      I'm pretty sure thats all that it needs.
      P/O replaced the fuel pump,filter, plugs, wires, distributor, cap, rotor, timing belt..
      there is a small cut in the throttle body boot, but I have another to replace it.
      It ran and idled fine on an alternative fuel source.
      I'll keep you guys up to date and will definitely post more pictures thursday through-out the day.

Vehicles
      Multiple Sciroccos and a Jetta Wagon
      03-20-2012 12:30 AM #15126
      Sounds like if you can find a replacement fuel distributor, you might be good to go. Easier than swapping out the engine and quicker too.

OMG I just re-read what you said about Mk3s / Mk4s and your age. That makes me feel old.

Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      03-20-2012 08:35 AM #15127
      Look at Cathy instigating!!!! before yo go ripping into stuff make sure you have the bible for both cars (Bentley) expirienced hands and that you really have thought this out...It is not just a blind I think Im going to do this thing...

If it was me I would sort out the 1.7 get it right and then think of the swap...but that is just me...i have been like a bone collector for the last 3 years...and im yet to swap the 2.0ABA/JH with boost

Oh meant to ask what color is the interior in that 82 cedar green?
      Yeah. I am trouble maker. But a 2L 16V? Hello, that's fun in a box right there. And yeah, not as straightforward as putting it into a 16V car. I didn't notice that it was an 8V to 16V swap, but that certainly has been done lots of times, so you aren't chopping the trees, merely plowing the field.

Me? My projects are more like moon explorations, no idea what I will find when I get to the dark side......

Latest pics...

Some things that will buff out:

Speaking of which, I had a brainwave last this morning...I may as well bring part of the plane home to work on...that way I can do some Scirocco wrenching in between scrubbing and cleaning, and I will have my helper. She follows me everywhere, here she is gardening with me yesterday...

...or....not....my internet service still sucks... so that will wait till later....

8. 03-20-2012 08:53 AM #15128

Hang in there Cathy!

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 12:09 PM #15129
      Quote Originally Posted by punchbug View Post
      Interesting how that one piece has a fair bit of corrosion, but the rest looks to be in good shape. BTW, I should get your opinion while you're here on that Skyhawk that Brad's working on for the guy who's exporting it. It's got LOTS of corrosion in the wings.

Speaking of which, I had a brainwave last this morning...I may as well bring part of the plane home to work on...that way I can do some Scirocco wrenching in between scrubbing and cleaning, and I will have my helper. She follows me everywhere, here she is gardening with me yesterday...

...or....not....my internet service still sucks... so that will wait till later....
      LOL!!! It's both nice and sad that you can bring parts home.... but I've met your help and she's always nice to have around.

Speaking of help, I had some the other day when I went to my parent's to work on Olive Oil.

She wore herself out for the trip home.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Passat Variant, 86 Scirocco 16v, 73 BMW 2002
      03-20-2012 12:27 PM #15130
      I think it is great that you can take your kids with you like that, and have good hearing protection for her. My tiny pup would love it.

He might have some issues fitting though.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Z1 Scirocco Ragtop, '78 CE (gone :(
      03-20-2012 04:08 PM #15131
      Ruh-roh...

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 08:49 PM #15132
      Quote Originally Posted by gamblinfool View Post
      Ruh-roh...

Sigh, I will have a fresh hone too (get yer minds out of the gutter) but mine will be on my strut housing, the one with that lovely seal (?) above...
      And there are some lovely shiny things in that picture that are very distracting. It always seems a shame to me that it is all sealed up. but the the (EDIT) smiles will come and it is all good again.

Vehicles
      things broken
      03-21-2012 12:30 AM #15133
      ^^ Dat dere's purrrty, Jeff. Is it going in the CE or the ragtop?
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

Portland, OR

Vehicles
      03-21-2012 01:25 AM #15134
      Check the update in the Blue Plate Special thread.

Vehicles
      a few Sciroccos & a MG
      03-21-2012 06:28 AM #15135
      Ruh-roh...

glad this is going into the ragtop
      Quote Originally Posted by Racinger View Post
      VWs are known around the world to be some of the most dependable and long lasting vehicles. The "unreliable VW" is an American myth.
      78 S1 GTi "Leela", 88 S2 GT 16v "the Silver Bullet", 80 S1 Storm RHD, 54 MG TF 1250 RHD - SC -

16. 03-21-2012 09:45 AM #15136
      Ruh-roh...

2 Liter Bubbles are my favorite. I wouldn't mind getting a little grease under my nails when the time comes...

Vehicles
      03-21-2012 06:47 PM #15137
      Why is this so close to the bottom????? I just washed my Scirocco and she got a new bauble today, so she should be good to go. she does like her baubles, that one. So tell me what is wrong with this picture...not worried about salt in March, got caught in the worst snowstorm of the whole winter in October..... She seems to have had a goodwinter's sleep. Gotta vaccuum her and check the tire pressure and good to go...I hope. I never trust a 16v...they are very sneaky wabbit
      Edit: Okay, she is lighter now, apparently the area under the shift boot is a good place to store dog chow. Who knew?

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco GTD (Carrots), 77 Scirocco (Inga), 81 Scirocco S (Delilah)
      03-21-2012 11:02 PM #15138
      Edit: Okay, she is lighter now, apparently the area under the shift boot is a good place to store dog chow. Who knew?
      Apparently the mice knew, and the cat didn't. And from what I've seen of your dog... yeah, don't even go there...

Safe drive eh?

PS I got the wires pulled into the hatch and the harness completed - just need to splice it into the rear connector and move on to the next one on the list.

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 05:08 PM #15139
      How could it be that nobody has posted in here today??

I'm at Cincy Ground-Zero today, and am expecting the arrival of a certain Silver 16v with Ontario plates on it before long. Aaaaand I heard from a couple other out-of-town Scirocco owners that will also be in Dayton this weekend, so it's officially looking like a party Saturday afternoon.

20. 03-22-2012 05:26 PM #15140
      Well, Daun- I was busy.

- Lost cell Phone found (discovered) in my friend's pocket, good to have friends. (And it needs charging, but "I didn't make any calls..." huh. ok.) This after tearing up the house and calling it while hovering near the trashcan outside, Hilarity ensued...

- Oh, and I had a phone interview, might be gainfully employed starting Wednesday. (Don't count chickens, ...).

Other than that, it's been uneventful...

It's been hard to campain a Scirocco when you like to eat too. Gotta do something about that.

21. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Swedish Meatbrick
      03-22-2012 07:46 PM #15141
      I drove the 80 to work today and got one of the fine chaps to weld up an exhaust pipe for it. It's now much much quieter.

Last edited by Chris16vRocco; 03-22-2012 at 10:47 PM.
      Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L|86 740GLE td
      Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 09:08 PM #15142
      Visited the 82 today

Anyone know where the paint code is located, I'll be honest when I say I didn't even try to look yet.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); 86 QSW (still unnamed); 90 325iX (Nina - RIP); 89 325iX (kid's new car)
      03-22-2012 09:47 PM #15143
      Sticker in the spare tire well.
      Or (maybe) on the floor back there. But, definitely in the cargo bay.
      - Cup
      '88 Scirocco 16v, 'tastefully' modified.
      Click here for my Cincy pics
      things currently broken (Scirocco): 5
      things currently broken (QSW): 5!!

Vehicles
      a few Sciroccos & a MG
      03-22-2012 10:21 PM #15144
      Visited the 82 today

Anyone know where the paint code is located, I'll be honest when I say I didn't even try to look yet.
      cool photos

this 82 is Cedar Green Metallic (LK6Y)

also the sticker you'e looking for looks like this, also as the VIN sticker : http://website.lineone.net/~dr.dub/vin_sticker.htm
      VWs are known around the world to be some of the most dependable and long lasting vehicles. The "unreliable VW" is an American myth.
      78 S1 GTi "Leela", 88 S2 GT 16v "the Silver Bullet", 80 S1 Storm RHD, 54 MG TF 1250 RHD - SC -

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 10:34 PM #15145
      Thank you
      Planning on respraying it the same color...
      Maybe mk1 bumpers?

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 11:19 PM #15146
      Thank you
      Planning on respraying it the same color...
      Maybe mk1 bumpers?

If you have them look up the color code....have the painters do a small can as a tester and see 1st if it is even close....the mixes change. There is a current tread for Cirrus Gray (what my car is) that explained how paint recipes change over the years.

Cedar Green is one of my favorite colors....BTW your interior is special. 82-83 and maybe some 84's had 4 color plaids in the US red ( have most of them), blue (Randal is looking for most of them), brown/beige and black...that be you and upoo2 (trevor).... I'm sure many more, but I'm just saying.... don't just toss the interior out before noting if it is salvageable,

I went to Canada (just 45 minutes into Windsor) to pick up a complete (extra) red interior for mine. Front, rear seats, all door cards and rear cards..and have an extra 2 piece parcel rear shelf in read...Yours should be black....special these are.. I'm telling you special

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco, 13 Prius C, 94 beige Camry!
      03-22-2012 11:25 PM #15147
      Status: All sciroccos broken. Again for a second time this month.

My car: starter. Luckily it's under warranty.

Becky's car: Fuel pumps, and the clutch too for fun.

Electric scooter: needs batteries

Bicycle: needs air in the tires

Legs: cramped. Needs bananas.

Vehicles
      87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco now 16v, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v, 13' Jetta
      03-22-2012 11:27 PM #15148
      Quote Originally Posted by TheTimob View Post

Yikes! that is no bueno. Good thing starter is an easy fix, and it was warrantied.
      Insert witty comment here.

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 11:30 PM #15149
      If you have them look up the color code....have the painters do a small can as a tester and see 1st if it is even close....the mixes change. There is a current tread for Cirrus Gray (what my car is) that explained how paint recipes change over the years.

Cedar Green is one of my favorite colors....BTW your interior is special. 82-83 and maybe some 84's had 4 color plaids in the US red ( have most of them), blue (Randal is looking for most of them), brown/beige and black...that be you and upoo2 (trevor).... I'm sure many more, but I'm just saying.... don't just toss the interior out before noting if it is salvageable,

I went to Canada (just 45 minutes into Windsor) to pick up a complete (extra) red interior for mine. Front, rear seats, all door cards and rear cards..and have an extra 2 piece parcel rear shelf in read...Yours should be black....special these are.. I'm telling you special

so that the grasshopper sees it!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTimob View Post

Dude....black cloud go away from the timbos!

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 11:31 PM #15150
      These seats are here to stay for sure. I have a guy that might be able to "refresh" them a bit. He does good work.

Thanks for the heads up about the paint, I will definitely do that first.

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 11:34 PM #15151
      These seats are here to stay for sure. I have a guy that might be able to "refresh" them a bit. He does good work.

Thanks for the heads up about the paint, I will definitely do that first.

Im willing to bet I'll see this car in person one day

Vehicles
      03-23-2012 12:35 AM #15152
      It will be at h20i and waterfest for sure.

Vehicles
      03-23-2012 01:20 AM #15153
      Okay, I am here in Dayton, and have learned a few things. for example, if you are running on the same tank of fuel in Columbus as you were in Ontario, you should stop for fuel on one side of Columbus. THAT would NOT be the distant side. I had enough to make it through, but failed to account for the huge parking lot that turned a fifteen minute drive into an hour and a half. I had enough fuel for the fifteen minutes.....
      And of course during this, my car suddenly went into a panic attack AND remembered all that stuff she'd read on the Vortex about 16Vs and how unreliable they are...so she decided that her glassy smooth idle was outta there...may as well hunt wildly for an idle somewhere between like 4000 rpm and 4 rpm. The 4 rpm wasn't quite enough so I was doing the good old clutch/gas/ebrake/look for cell phone idiots in SUVs....and stressing about how low into the red was the end of my fuel pumps...and did I mention that supposedly Obama was in town...and there was construction?

So I did what any red blooded Canadian girl is a sundress would do. yup, hit the nearest off ramp into the heart of downtown Columbus in search of gas. And I knew I was not going to find that easily, but there were a lot of real "nice" looking shops with partly disassembled cars in the lots.....it was beautiful.

Amyway, after asking someone, I found some gas before running out, but I felt pretty stupid....luckily the people in the sketchy neighborhoods are always really nice. I was just glad it was a sunny day, and I had a really nice drive otherwise.Tonight the idle has returned to glassy smooth. I wonder if it was just some cruddy gas from the bottom of the tank? (but I will test the O2 sensor too, funny how the things you "just changed" get really old after years and years.....) It was good to get her out on the road, and she still makes that satisfying roar when the loud pedal is pushed towards the floorboards. God I love a happy 16V!

Vehicles
      a few Sciroccos & a MG
      03-23-2012 01:43 AM #15154
      glad you made to Dayton safely Cathy, despite a few minor problems

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco, 13 Prius C, 94 beige Camry!
      03-23-2012 09:00 AM #15155
      My coworkers have boxed me

Page 433 of 577 FirstFirst ... 333383423429430431432433434435436437443483533 ... LastLast