Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 441 of 567 FirstFirst ... 341391431437438439440441442443444445451491541 ... LastLast
    Results 15,401 to 15,435 of 19822

    Thread: The Official Scirocco Chit Chat Thread!

    1. Member scirocco*joe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2002
      Location
      Roughly
      Posts
      6,999
      Vehicles
      things broken
      04-17-2012 09:23 AM #15401
      Quote Originally Posted by 85roccoZ400 View Post


      Looking good Izzy's . . . That front end gets to me every time I see it.
      Agreed.

      So, are we seeing you in OH this year?
      Quote Originally Posted by punchbug
      Not wanting to select a wheel style, I chose to go with three different wheel and tire options, sourced from our extensive collection. (criteria was: not currently on another car, 4X100 bolt pattern, tires must hold some air.)
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

    2. Member 85roccoZ400's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2002
      Location
      Litchfield County, CT
      Posts
      19,420
      Vehicles
      85 Scirocco 8VT; 2002 VR6 Jetta; 2005 C230 Sport
      04-17-2012 10:02 AM #15402
      Cathy sorry to hear about your dad.

      Quote Originally Posted by scirocco*joe View Post
      Agreed.

      So, are we seeing you in OH this year?
      No it is not in the cards for this year.
      Last edited by 85roccoZ400; 04-17-2012 at 10:17 AM.

    3. Member Michael Bee's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 4th, 2004
      Location
      City of Poughkeepsie
      Posts
      13,461
      04-17-2012 12:33 PM #15403
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      Since this seems to be the most active thread, does anyone have a place or recommendation where I could get a Mk1 Car cover?

      calcarcover.com

      '80 Scirocco | 2014 X3 xDr28i | 2014 328i GT

    4. 04-17-2012 05:05 PM #15404



      Just Because...

    5. Member punchbug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 15th, 2000
      Location
      Ontario's deep south
      Posts
      8,119
      Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      04-17-2012 05:51 PM #15405
      Quote Originally Posted by TBerk View Post



      Just Because...
      Three questions (two are Cincy related)

      1. Does that come in a different gender, in milk chocolate?

      2. Is it time for a Cincy sign up page yet?

      3. Who is organizing the Cincy exchange?

    6. Member crazyaboutrocs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Winterport, ME
      Posts
      4,010
      Vehicles
      2 '88 Sciroccos and an '08 MkV GTI
      04-17-2012 10:32 PM #15406
      Swapped insurance over to the Slegato from the 16V(yes we have maxed out the quantity of cars on our policy...) and I printed out the card when I came home. Apparently my 1 of 127 Slegatos is far more rare than I thought, because my insurance card says it's an '88 Volvo Scirocco. Now that has got to be rare.

    7. Member California 16v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 20th, 2008
      Location
      Gulf Coast of Florida
      Posts
      3,117
      Vehicles
      several VW Sciroccos and a RHD '54 MG TF 1250
      04-17-2012 10:49 PM #15407
      Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutrocs View Post
      Apparently my 1 of 127 Slegatos is far more rare than I thought, because my insurance card says it's an '88 Volvo Scirocco. Now that has got to be rare.
      Pura Vida

    8. 04-17-2012 11:22 PM #15408
      Crazy,

      It makes yours one of the stiffest Rocs out there...

      Think; "Hot, Oppressive Airborne Tank...", blowing in off the Med, up through southern Europe...
      Last edited by TBerk; 04-17-2012 at 11:30 PM.

    9. Member punchbug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 15th, 2000
      Location
      Ontario's deep south
      Posts
      8,119
      Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      04-18-2012 07:16 AM #15409
      Quote Originally Posted by TBerk View Post
      Crazy,

      It makes yours one of the stiffest Rocs out there...

      Think; "Hot, Oppressive Airborne Tank...", blowing in off the Med, up through southern Europe...
      And it has no need of a car cover, since it IS the box it came in!

      Serves you right for living in Maine, if it isn't a Volvo or a Saab they get confused. So is the wife's one of those rare Saab Challengers?

      I am feeling a wee bit overwhelmed with the tax deadline looming large and my Dad's financial situation still not close to being apparent. Should be a laugh riot. And yeah, I still have a broken airplane project....among other things. SOOOO glad I am retired.

    10. Member scirocco*joe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2002
      Location
      Roughly
      Posts
      6,999
      Vehicles
      things broken
      04-18-2012 12:53 PM #15410
      Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutrocs View Post
      Swapped insurance over to the Slegato from the 16V(yes we have maxed out the quantity of cars on our policy...) and I printed out the card when I came home. Apparently my 1 of 127 Slegatos is far more rare than I thought, because my insurance card says it's an '88 Volvo Scirocco. Now that has got to be rare.
      Have you looked into Hagerty, John?
      Quote Originally Posted by punchbug
      Not wanting to select a wheel style, I chose to go with three different wheel and tire options, sourced from our extensive collection. (criteria was: not currently on another car, 4X100 bolt pattern, tires must hold some air.)
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

    11. Member cholland_'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 12th, 2006
      Location
      Toronto, ON
      Posts
      3,177
      Vehicles
      1973 VW 914, 1986 VW Scirocco, 2010 VW GTI
      04-18-2012 01:03 PM #15411
      VW finally has a motorcycle division!

      Oh wait... their insurance premium already has a 400% surcharge in Ontario
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris16vRocco View Post
      You are a god among men. Or a man among retards, not sure which.

    12. Member 85roccoZ400's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2002
      Location
      Litchfield County, CT
      Posts
      19,420
      Vehicles
      85 Scirocco 8VT; 2002 VR6 Jetta; 2005 C230 Sport
      04-18-2012 01:08 PM #15412
      Quote Originally Posted by scirocco*joe View Post
      Have you looked into Hagerty, John?
      Hagerty is a joke for an MKII Scirocco . . . They do not consider them as a classic yet.

      So that is one strike again you, The next second strike will be mileage limitation unless you can hold yourself to only driving it 1200 mile a year.

      With that second strike you do not qualify for their insurance.

    13. Member scirockinit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 16th, 2008
      Location
      Fred
      Posts
      1,243
      Vehicles
      82 Scirocco
      04-18-2012 01:24 PM #15413
      Just finally got these on! So Stoked. rims look soooooo good






      Quick to the SLOW!!

      Fastest you can go 50!

      Wish i had a scirocco..(A. Einstein)

    14. Member scirocco*joe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2002
      Location
      Roughly
      Posts
      6,999
      Vehicles
      things broken
      04-18-2012 01:31 PM #15414
      Quote Originally Posted by 85roccoZ400 View Post
      Hagerty is a joke for an MKII Scirocco . . . They do not consider them as a classic yet.

      So that is one strike again you, The next second strike will be mileage limitation unless you can hold yourself to only driving it 1200 mile a year.

      With that second strike you do not qualify for their insurance.
      I just went to Hagerty.com and set up a quote for a 1988 Scirocco owned by a 37 year old in Maine, valued at $8,000 and for 5,000 miles a year. It was $327 a year including unlimited 125-mile flatbed towing, lockout service and gas for *ALL* vehicles you own.

      That said, you do need to have a regular use vehicle that you drive daily and you have to store the car in a secured garage.

      Brian, I don't know what the rules are for CT. Maybe they are different? I know there are age minimums that need to be met.

      But I really dig Hagerty.
      Quote Originally Posted by punchbug
      Not wanting to select a wheel style, I chose to go with three different wheel and tire options, sourced from our extensive collection. (criteria was: not currently on another car, 4X100 bolt pattern, tires must hold some air.)
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

    15. Member 85roccoZ400's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2002
      Location
      Litchfield County, CT
      Posts
      19,420
      Vehicles
      85 Scirocco 8VT; 2002 VR6 Jetta; 2005 C230 Sport
      04-18-2012 01:55 PM #15415
      Quote Originally Posted by scirocco*joe View Post
      I just went to Hagerty.com and set up a quote for a 1988 Scirocco owned by a 37 year old in Maine, valued at $8,000 and for 5,000 miles a year. It was $327 a year including unlimited 125-mile flatbed towing, lockout service and gas for *ALL* vehicles you own.

      That said, you do need to have a regular use vehicle that you drive daily and you have to store the car in a secured garage.

      Brian, I don't know what the rules are for CT. Maybe they are different? I know there are age minimums that need to be met.

      But I really dig Hagerty.
      Joe,
      I was able to do a quote online without a probably. But when I called thats when they told me my limitations and I did not want to be that limited to the mileage.

      But yes I would go with them if it wasn't for that.
      Last edited by 85roccoZ400; 04-18-2012 at 02:02 PM.

    16. Member crazyaboutrocs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Winterport, ME
      Posts
      4,010
      Vehicles
      2 '88 Sciroccos and an '08 MkV GTI
      04-18-2012 05:33 PM #15416
      Quote Originally Posted by scirocco*joe View Post
      I just went to Hagerty.com and set up a quote for a 1988 Scirocco owned by a 37 year old in Maine, valued at $8,000 and for 5,000 miles a year. It was $327 a year including unlimited 125-mile flatbed towing, lockout service and gas for *ALL* vehicles you own.

      That said, you do need to have a regular use vehicle that you drive daily and you have to store the car in a secured garage.

      Brian, I don't know what the rules are for CT. Maybe they are different? I know there are age minimums that need to be met.

      But I really dig Hagerty.
      @Joe, yes I did look into them a little while back. And unless there is some different story as Brian mentions when I actually take that step with the Slegato and the 16V I do plan to go with them. That partially leads me to the next one....
      @Cathy-I wish you better luck with your father's financials than we've had with my uncle's. He was Canadian and died 16 months ago. We are almost, partly done with all the financial crap for his estate(and we have people that do this for a living, doing it). Canada seems odd when it comes to this stuff.

    17. Member punchbug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 15th, 2000
      Location
      Ontario's deep south
      Posts
      8,119
      Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      04-18-2012 07:33 PM #15417
      Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutrocs View Post
      @Joe, yes I did look into them a little while back. And unless there is some different story as Brian mentions when I actually take that step with the Slegato and the 16V I do plan to go with them. That partially leads me to the next one....
      @Cathy-I wish you better luck with your father's financials than we've had with my uncle's. He was Canadian and died 16 months ago. We are almost, partly done with all the financial crap for his estate(and we have people that do this for a living, doing it). Canada seems odd when it comes to this stuff.
      Well, the reading of the will went like this..."what will?" and I called his bookkeeper to see if he dropped the taxes off there...nope, she doesn't have them...
      This is actually a surprise since my old man was always on about leaving things in good shape.... Mom's been great though, and that really helps!

    18. Member crazyaboutrocs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Winterport, ME
      Posts
      4,010
      Vehicles
      2 '88 Sciroccos and an '08 MkV GTI
      04-18-2012 09:23 PM #15418
      I do like how it seems every little thing he had, such as a license, vehicle registration, memberships etc, all issue a partial refund when cancelled for death. Surprised us, as down here that would not happen.

    19. Member vwdaun's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2001
      Location
      Dayton OH
      Posts
      4,967
      Vehicles
      Multiple Sciroccos and a Jetta Wagon
      04-18-2012 10:23 PM #15419
      Quote Originally Posted by 85roccoZ400 View Post
      Hagerty is a joke for an MKII Scirocco . . . They do not consider them as a classic yet.

      So that is one strike again you, The next second strike will be mileage limitation unless you can hold yourself to only driving it 1200 mile a year.

      With that second strike you do not qualify for their insurance.
      Hmmmph. My 16v is insured with them, 5k miles / year, locked storage etc for $198/yr.

    20. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 29th, 2006
      Location
      No ragrets
      Posts
      23,828
      Vehicles
      C123
      04-18-2012 10:34 PM #15420
      I was watching some short films about VW history as part of my training earlier, and they failed to mention the Scirocco. They mentioned the ****ing 411, Dasher, and Quantum, but not the Scirocco. WTF.
      Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Manta A|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L
      =====>last.fm<=====|MusicGourmets.com

    21. Member woody16v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2009
      Location
      the basement
      Posts
      1,314
      Vehicles
      87 scirocco16v, 93 festiva (mpg king)
      04-19-2012 01:17 AM #15421
      Quote Originally Posted by vwdaun View Post
      Hmmmph. My 16v is insured with them, 5k miles / year, locked storage etc for $198/yr.
      what difference does a mileage restriction make when you have a car with known odometer failures?
      ...but then again, i do drive a festiva

      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber View Post
      Slow down. Get the Book. Learn.
      Quote Originally Posted by polov8 View Post
      I get a chilly willy when I forget to do my fly up......

    22. 04-19-2012 02:17 AM #15422
      via an email I got from some guy I've named 'Unka-Kev', (oh btw- He's one of us).


      Ferrari F1 Cars.....in New York?

      Here's a link to a Shell commercial shown only in Europe .
      Ostensibly, they're selling gasoline, but the cars used in the video
      steal the show.

      Ferrari pulled several of their race cars from various ages out of
      storage, flew them around the world, and filmed them running through
      the streets of Rome, Rio, New York, Hong Kong, Honolulu, and Monaco.

      No computer graphics were used ---these are the original cars on the
      actual streets.

      The best part is the sound - from the basso-profundo notes of the
      early, front-engine era, each scene cuts to a later generation, ending
      with the wail of a modern F1 car.

      Even if you're not a gearhead, this video will stir the soul - so turn
      up the sound !!

      There's just something about 3 liters and 14,000 RPM!!!


      http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...4wL4&vq=medium
      [

    23. Member crazyaboutrocs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Winterport, ME
      Posts
      4,010
      Vehicles
      2 '88 Sciroccos and an '08 MkV GTI
      04-19-2012 06:09 AM #15423
      Quote Originally Posted by vwdaun View Post
      Hmmmph. My 16v is insured with them, 5k miles / year, locked storage etc for $198/yr.
      How much did you insure it for, if I may ask? That would definitely affect the price. Or maybe they just know who you are and what you've done for these cars and are giving you a break.

    24. Member 85roccoZ400's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2002
      Location
      Litchfield County, CT
      Posts
      19,420
      Vehicles
      85 Scirocco 8VT; 2002 VR6 Jetta; 2005 C230 Sport
      04-19-2012 07:08 AM #15424
      Quote Originally Posted by vwdaun View Post
      Hmmmph. My 16v is insured with them, 5k miles / year, locked storage etc for $198/yr.
      Daun, Did you do it over the phone, or online?

    25. Member punchbug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 15th, 2000
      Location
      Ontario's deep south
      Posts
      8,119
      Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      04-19-2012 08:04 AM #15425
      Quote Originally Posted by TBerk View Post
      via an email I got from some guy I've named 'Unka-Kev', (oh btw- He's one of us).
      Followed by this carporn ......http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...4wL4&vq=medium


      Berk? You a spend WAAY too much time on the net, and we thank you for that! I need to watch that again with my earbuds on......

    26. 04-19-2012 08:51 AM #15426
      Quote Originally Posted by punchbug View Post
      Berk? You a spend WAAY too much time on the net,
      Inverted sleep patterns are a blessing and a curse...

      I think it
      s time for a vacation...

    27. Member punchbug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 15th, 2000
      Location
      Ontario's deep south
      Posts
      8,119
      Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      04-19-2012 09:02 AM #15427
      Quote Originally Posted by TBerk View Post
      Inverted sleep patterns are a blessing and a curse...

      I think it
      s time for a vacation...
      I have cats. I do not GET a sleep pattern!

    28. Member CodeMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2006
      Location
      Denverish
      Posts
      7,664
      Vehicles
      Scirocco 16v, A2 ABA, '03 Tyke Hauler GLS, E34 540i
      04-19-2012 10:33 AM #15428
      Uh-oh, who is this?

      FS: 'Gilda' - 1990 Jetta GL, ABA swap, plus suspension

      The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad.

    29. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 29th, 2006
      Location
      No ragrets
      Posts
      23,828
      Vehicles
      C123
      04-19-2012 11:56 AM #15429
      Badpenny's car from a few years ago.
      Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Manta A|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L
      =====>last.fm<=====|MusicGourmets.com

    30. Member CodeMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2006
      Location
      Denverish
      Posts
      7,664
      Vehicles
      Scirocco 16v, A2 ABA, '03 Tyke Hauler GLS, E34 540i
      04-19-2012 12:08 PM #15430
      That's a shame. I thought it might have been your black one.
      FS: 'Gilda' - 1990 Jetta GL, ABA swap, plus suspension

      The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad.

    31. Senior Member Iroczgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2007
      Location
      Bend, OR
      Posts
      20,275
      Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      04-19-2012 08:11 PM #15431
      Quote Originally Posted by cholland_ View Post
      VW finally has a motorcycle division!

      Oh wait... their insurance premium already has a 400% surcharge in Ontario
      They have had one for a LONG time. They just chose not to produce any NSU motorcycles.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

    32. Senior Member Iroczgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2007
      Location
      Bend, OR
      Posts
      20,275
      Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      04-19-2012 08:14 PM #15432
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris16vRocco View Post
      I was watching some short films about VW history as part of my training earlier, and they failed to mention the Scirocco. They mentioned the ****ing 411, Dasher, and Quantum, but not the Scirocco. WTF.
      The 411 was very important you know, it was the car that almost brought VW to bankruptcy.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

    33. Member punchbug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 15th, 2000
      Location
      Ontario's deep south
      Posts
      8,119
      Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      04-19-2012 09:20 PM #15433
      Okay, THIS is possibly the greatest barn find of all time...can you even imagine?

      http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-04-16_spitfires.asp

      In other epic news, I got Dad's taxes in to the book keepers. I cannot tell you what a relief that is. AND I got to drive the purple car, always a good thing! It is never lost on me how lucky we are to have these great little cars.

    34. Member crazyaboutrocs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Winterport, ME
      Posts
      4,010
      Vehicles
      2 '88 Sciroccos and an '08 MkV GTI
      04-19-2012 09:29 PM #15434
      Quote Originally Posted by punchbug View Post
      Okay, THIS is possibly the greatest barn find of all time...can you even imagine?

      http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-04-16_spitfires.asp
      Wow! Can you imagine finding those?

    35. Member scirocco*joe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2002
      Location
      Roughly
      Posts
      6,999
      Vehicles
      things broken
      04-19-2012 10:55 PM #15435
      Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutrocs View Post
      Wow! Can you imagine finding those?
      Incredible.
      Quote Originally Posted by punchbug
      Not wanting to select a wheel style, I chose to go with three different wheel and tire options, sourced from our extensive collection. (criteria was: not currently on another car, 4X100 bolt pattern, tires must hold some air.)
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

    Page 441 of 567 FirstFirst ... 341391431437438439440441442443444445451491541 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •