Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 445 of 572 FirstFirst ... 345395435441442443444445446447448449455495545 ... LastLast
    Results 15,541 to 15,575 of 20001

Thread: The Official Scirocco Chit Chat Thread!

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      04-28-2012 03:51 PM #15541
      I do miss it. TONS.

But, I can always build another one. The only thing I don't have are euro bumpers.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      04-28-2012 04:28 PM #15542
      Quote Originally Posted by Rocco_julie View Post
      Victor is inspected!

No head lights on the PS, but the guy said "I know you'll fix that..." and stuck the sticker in the window.
      $80 later, wire, connectors, heatshrink and new Halo head lights (another bill) on the way, I am off to re-wire the front end of the car.....

The fuel map tunes well and the new motor now has about 20 miles on it.With out an air filter the compressor chop is really loud. The angry Squirrel is alive!

At 50 miles I'll change the oil and the coolant (its filthy!), then run that for the next 500 miles.

This reminds me! DAUN! I seem to remember that you said your 16V headlights were off on one side.....did you recall that when I wired them, I put a fuse for each side in the harness? Check it, it will be under the hood! As for me, the good old 16V truck got used for airplane hauling again, still has only one seat, so it was the easiest thing to transport some 8' steel tubing in. Never thought I'd need 28 feet of that for this plane, but life is full of surprises! As usual, it was hateful having to drive that car. She's SUCH a nice ride,

My hubsand's attempt at using HIS car as a truck today was much more fail filled...ending with a tow truck. This is why he is not allowed to drive mine.

Vehicles
      Multiple Sciroccos and a Jetta Wagon
      04-28-2012 08:35 PM #15543
      Quote Originally Posted by punchbug View Post
      This reminds me! DAUN! I seem to remember that you said your 16V headlights were off on one side.....did you recall that when I wired them, I put a fuse for each side in the harness? Check it, it will be under the hood!
      I shall have a look in the near-ish future. (We'll see what the wx is doing tomorrow since I was lucky enough to get a three day weekend. Wooo!!!!) I've been preoccupied with other things like getting the "new" transaxle mounted into the '85 and landing the 172 in a cornfield.

What? Pics or it didn't happen? Ok then....

The "new" transaxle for the maroon '85. It's a 7a, which is pretty tall, but should be nice for highway cruising (.71 5th!) which will be the primary mission for this car. The installation couldn't have gone smoother - even lining up the driver's side motor mount to get the bolt through and into the capture nut was completely painless. It was bolted up, hoisted and mounts installed in a half hour, and that includes searching for a couple of missing pieces of hardware.

And then there's the 172. It's not exactly as you might think. An old friend of mine is in the process of building an airstrip on some land he bought awhile back. The hangar is up and the runway is recently seeded but isn't usable yet. So, he's using a short (1400 ft?) narrow (20 ft?) strip of dirt / weeds in the middle of the cornfield adjascent to the new runway for now. That's what we landed on yesterday afternoon - he in his Champ, me in the 172 (since my Champ is down for annual.) In the pic you're looking down the "runway" which the tail is just clear of.

Last edited by vwdaun; 04-28-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 08:47 PM #15544
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I just sold my Scirocco.

WTF?? Why would you do such a thing????

5. 04-28-2012 10:11 PM #15545
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I just sold my Scirocco.

I'm feeling a wee bit empty right now.

The only A1 chassis car I have right now is the Rabbit.
      Oh Yeah? look here sister- I got a suspension and two new air dams and headliner.
      Besides a milk crate w/ a few odds n' ends, Thats all.

No bread or meat? Heeere ya go, ...

, I actually commiserate m'Zgirl.

Vehicles
      1979 Scirocco 16v, 89 jetta Gli (wifes) 99 forester (wifes)
      04-28-2012 10:33 PM #15546
      had an airshow on base today. Snapped some pics but was checkin the planes out too much too take too many.

Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      Because **** trunks.
      Hatch
      [IOO==o==OOI]

Vehicles
      2 '88 Sciroccos and an '08 MkV GTI
      04-28-2012 10:40 PM #15547
      Very nice! Thanks for posting.

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 2005 New Beetle TDI, 2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, 1976 Kawasaki KZ400
      04-29-2012 07:11 AM #15548
      So I made it home on Friday evening with no issues, and I must say, I am IN LOVE with this New Beetle already. 370-ish miles and used maybe half a tank of fuel. I just filled up so we will see what she can really do. I love the PD engine, I had never driven one, just the various flavors of ALH TDI's, and the PD is a different beast- so much grunt it really feels like a much bigger engine.

I cleaned up the interior a bit yesterday, today I am going to attempt to remove some road line paint that the car had driven through at some point. Thinking rubbing compound to get it out, any ideas? Anyway after that I will put up a pic or two.

Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '02 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, tiptragic to manual swap.
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 09:31 AM #15549
      Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Verminaard View Post
      So I made it home on Friday evening with no issues, and I must say, I am IN LOVE with this MkIV Scirocco already. 370-ish miles and used maybe half a tank of fuel. I just filled up so we will see what she can really do. I love the PD engine, I had never driven one, just the various flavors of ALH TDI's, and the PD is a different beast- so much grunt it really feels like a much bigger engine.

I cleaned up the interior a bit yesterday, today I am going to attempt to remove some road line paint that the car had driven through at some point. Thinking rubbing compound to get it out, any ideas? Anyway after that I will put up a pic or two.

Brendan
      There, fixed that for ya. and even without a PD, I have had a ton of fun in mine so far. She's slow, but I am still gonna park in the green spots, and argue that mine is more green than the hybrids out there. Mine's still got life in most of the original components after thirteen years,
      Which no hybrid will be able to boast.

In other news,,,I may just toss the seats back in my "16V truck" ( aka the Silver Headache)
      She's done enough hauling for now. And the cat is getting too familiar with the "new" garage furniture, LOL! Supervising a Rabbit exercise session, and by Rabbit, I mean this kid right here:

She is just the cutest thing ever. But then every gramma says that about her first grandchild eh?

OH! and thanks! To Meltkamp for the plane pics and Daun for the proof pics (and for getting that pretty maroon car closer to running) and last but not least for Lord V. For getting rid of the four rings in the margin. Kay, gotta go move some bits around in some cars.

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 12:33 PM #15550
      And speaking of four rings, I am sitting here trying to decide if I should buy a '12 or '13 A4 Quattro. I can think of reasons for and against, but it is a tough decision.

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 2005 New Beetle TDI, 2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, 1976 Kawasaki KZ400
      04-29-2012 02:43 PM #15551
      Ok then, Goo-Gone FTW. And FYI for everyone to put away in your memory banks, most standard street line paint is latex-based, Goo-Gone took it right off. Well, it took a little rubbing but it eventually went away. I did a quick application of polishing compound to some of the dull areas, then a quick detail after that, and we are good as new. Some pics:

Glad you liked my Avatar change, Cathy. Cute bunny, (the furry kind) by the way! Laura and I were thinking of getting one. Although we have a few chicks coming the weekend after next, that will be a whole different adventure right there. I still gotta build the damn coop!

Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '02 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, tiptragic to manual swap.
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

12. 04-29-2012 07:07 PM #15552
      omg- I have the biggest Bar-B-Que Jones developing right now.... I might have to buy 'Store Bought'!

(Oh the shame, the humiliation...)

I live too far away from Flints (Noooo, RIP!) and Dougie's (Them too!? AAAahhh!) and it takes too long to make myself, the way I do it,,, I might expire in the mean time.

Argh!, See ya later.

BBQ-Mecha, where-fore-art-thou?

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I got this email in my inbox last night:

Maggin Fox is looking 4 you!

I am soo luckyeeeee...
      Last edited by TBerk; 04-29-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Vehicles
      VW C30 Stingray
      04-29-2012 07:47 PM #15553
      Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutrocs View Post
      And speaking of four rings, I am sitting here trying to decide if I should buy a '12 or '13 A4 Quattro. I can think of reasons for and against, but it is a tough decision.
      Get an S5.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 09:54 PM #15554
      Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      Get an S5.
      Yeah....$$$$$. The whole reason this ever crossed my mind is that someone wants to buy my GTI and pay more than it's worth, which is ridiculous on it's own. Add that, to European Delivery, and I can buy the A4 for about $18k, which is great. Downside, I don't need to buy a new car and mine is payed off the week after next, so I am free of a car payment.

15. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Swedish Meatbrick
      04-29-2012 09:58 PM #15555
      Sell your GTI for more than it's worth, and buy another GTI like yours for it's actual value. That way, you end up with the same basic car, and the additional cash.
      Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L|86 740GLE td
      =====>last.fm<=====|MusicGourmets.com

04-29-2012 10:46 PM #15556
      Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutrocs View Post
      Get a 2011 328xi. 0.9% for up to 60 mo and $2500 of buildout cash. Plus BMWFS makes payment #1 and 2. Sale price approx $35,000
      '80 Scirocco | 2014 X3 xDr28i | 2014 328i GT

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 11:13 PM #15557
      OH! and thanks! Daun for the proof pics (and for getting that pretty maroon car closer to running)
      More proof pics from this afternoon:

Mind you, she's still on jackstands without axles intsalled but after about the third or fourth attempt, she fired up and settled into a nice idle.

So that brings me to the question for the evening. Car is in neutral (on jackstands - no axles, no tires) and it behaves as though the car is in 1st gear. Flanges spinning away and revving the engine causes the speedo to climb. Someone want to explain this one to me??

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 11:23 PM #15558
      This reminds me! DAUN! I seem to remember that you said your 16V headlights were off on one side.....did you recall that when I wired them, I put a fuse for each side in the harness? Check it, it will be under the hood!
      Checked. And found both fuse holders are melted as they were **right** next to / behind the rad fan. And after mucking with them none of the headlights work. So I'm fairly sure I've found the culprit. Should be a pretty simple re-wiring task that **maybe** I'll get to by next weekend, we'll see. LOTS to do this week.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      04-29-2012 11:24 PM #15559
      Yayyyy more HVAC problems.

Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

Vehicles
      78 F150, 3-A1's, A2 Joupe
      04-29-2012 11:29 PM #15560
      Does it slow down as it warms up? Its like 40* here today. That would probably be cold enough for the trans fluid to be thick and act similar to being in first at least for a min or 2.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ice Karl
      And let consequences fall where they may. Roll dice and accept
      outcome...

Vehicles
      '87 Scirocco 16V
      04-30-2012 12:42 AM #15561
      Ok totally different topic here, but do any of you have this shift knob on your 'roccos? looks pretty nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360279557168...#ht_2599wt_922

and also, where could I find the kamei golf ball shift knob I heard about somewhere?

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 08:37 AM #15562
      Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Verminaard View Post

Glad you liked my Avatar change, Cathy. Cute bunny, (the furry kind) by the way! Laura and I were thinking of getting one. Although we have a few chicks coming the weekend after next, that will be a whole different adventure right there. I still gotta build the damn coop!

Brendan
      If you need any tips, give me a shout. I grew up on my grandma's farm and she had record of production flock of barred Rock as her sole source of income. The is still a HUGE incubator in the basement. I only had a small flock of show stock, mostly Speckled Sussex, with a few others (Silver Laced Wyandottes, Silver Spangled Hamburgs, etc....) I really like chickens, but strongly dislike chipping out water dishes and coping with frostbittem combs in the winter. JediLynne has a young flock too, and has a good head start on you with the rabbits. Pherez is the only rabbit we have, and she's an absolute darling.

Quote Originally Posted by vwdaun View Post
      Checked. And found both fuse holders are melted as they were **right** next to / behind the rad fan. And after mucking with them none of the headlights work. So I'm fairly sure I've found the culprit. Should be a pretty simple re-wiring task that **maybe** I'll get to by next weekend, we'll see. LOTS to do this week.
      I figured if I pointed you at it, the fix would be easy, and that was a prime candidate. Glad to help get that pretty car more roadworthy so you can enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scirocco16 View Post
      Ok totally different topic here, but do any of you have this shift knob on your 'roccos? looks pretty nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360279557168...#ht_2599wt_922

and also, where could I find the kamei golf ball shift knob I heard about somewhere?
      WOW! $42 for a sex toy that nobody has used! (and if you have one attached to the rest of the, umm, stimulation, you know what I mean by that!) As far as I know they were stock on MkIs and they should be hanging out in parts cars. Problem is that the coolest bits often get replaced at resale, and I'd likely do that too, to be honest. I just absolutely love my Golf ball, and the car to which it is attached. maybe a little too much...but I digress... .anyway, they should be available used from someone on here who has a hoard of goodies. I have a billet one that I have never found a good car for...but it's a bit flashy. If that fits your scheme, let me know and I can eventually locate it and send you a picture.

Yesterday I figured it was time to get the green car moving; he has a new battery sitting on a porch in Dayton I think....and needed to borrow one. That meant one of the 16Vs needed to get put in the back row and that one was filthy...so I washed her, put her interior back in to get her out of truck mode, and then stole her battery. So the new mission is to put some miles on Klaus since the 16Vs have had more than enough trips to unearth any new surprises and he's been patiently waiting. So far so good, but he may want a set of plugs, which could be a project on that engine. Who designed that mess anyway? Still not sure which one to bring to Cincy!

Vehicles
      '85 Scirocco Wolfsburg, '86 Scirocco, '88 cabby, '73 MGB-GT, '73 International Travelall
      04-30-2012 08:46 AM #15563

So that brings me to the question for the evening. Car is in neutral (on jackstands - no axles, no tires) and it behaves as though the car is in 1st gear. Flanges spinning away and revving the engine causes the speedo to climb. Someone want to explain this one to me??
      It has to do with internal friction on the tranny. Because there is no weight to overcome the internal friction will allow the hubs to spin, but once you add in the axles and wheel hub you have added rotating mass which takes more force to overcome and so less likely to spin while not in gear.

Last edited by tmechanic; 04-30-2012 at 08:49 AM.
      "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."

Carl Sagan 1934-1996

Vehicles
      4x4
      04-30-2012 04:45 PM #15564
      Bought an Audi this weekend, though it is the parts car for the heart transplant on my little white beast. 2.0T swap on its way.

04-30-2012 05:03 PM #15565
      Quote Originally Posted by Amsterdam087 View Post
      Bought an Audi this weekend, though it is the parts car for the heart transplant on my little white beast. 2.0T swap on its way.
      That's awesome.

Now, a question for you guys. Three options with my current 1.6 L 8v motor in my 1980.

1) Maintain CIS as the fuel management system in the car, regardless of any trouble it may give me.
      2) Wait until the CIS starts screwing me over, move to carbs.
      3) Wait until the CIS starts screwing me over, move to EFI.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 05:16 PM #15566
      Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bee View Post
      Get a 2011 328xi. 0.9% for up to 60 mo and $2500 of buildout cash. Plus BMWFS makes payment #1 and 2. Sale price approx $35,000
      Not a bad deal, but correct me if I'm wrong, they are only automatics, right? Would like a six speed. And an even bigger problem is that the nearest dealer is about two hours away, which isn't a bid deal, unless I need them to work on or service it. Same reason the Mini came off the list when I was deciding on a car 4 1/2 years ago- the Mini dealer is out of state and nearly 200 miles away.

27. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Swedish Meatbrick
      04-30-2012 05:25 PM #15567
      Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Matthew View Post
      That's awesome.

Now, a question for you guys. Three options with my current 1.6 L 8v motor in my 1980.

1) Maintain CIS as the fuel management system in the car, regardless of any trouble it may give me.
      Well, there are several factors at play here. What are you intending to use the car for? Does CT have emissions testing? Carbs may not pass emissions tests.
      Deal with it.

28. 04-30-2012 06:50 PM #15568
      More proof pics from this afternoon:

Mind you, she's still on jackstands without axles installed but after about the third or fourth attempt, she fired up and settled into a nice idle.

The Clutch and Pressure Plate are so close together that they slip against each other and transmit rotation.

The fun part is- iirc, the two flanges are rotating in opposite directions.

29. 04-30-2012 07:13 PM #15569
      That's awesome.

There are folks who like them, and for compelling reasons on the Pro side, but I see no reason to devolve back to carburetors.

I'll further go on to say I'd think your 1980 1.6 motor is cast w/ a '1.6L' on the block but is actually a 1.7 liter block in reality.

I'd say, w' a 1.6/1.7 there isn't too much to be gained from Fuel enhancements until you open up the breathing and give it a reason to need more fuel. That would be along the lines of Big Valve Heads, Cams, Porting, Exhaust/Headers, etc.

Of course, CIS is a kind of 'dump the fuel in there all the time' type setup, the Fuel Rail type systems get better efficiency I'm given to understand- so EFI rises above, all things considered.

But that might mean an OEM system from a later model donor car. Same place you might be getting a donor (upgrade) motor from. In that case it would be a tried and true type turnkey setup. And out here in California having all the associated control/smog equipment goes a long way to reducing the "I put a later model engine in my car' Blues...

Reinforce your fundamentals 1st, CIS aint so bad.
      Last edited by TBerk; 04-30-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Capitalize 'california'

30. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Swedish Meatbrick
      04-30-2012 08:19 PM #15570
      1979-80 are 1.6 engine, 1981-83 (exc. 1983 Wolfsburg) are 1.7.

But otherwise, Tosha is spot on. I wouldn't worry about changing fuel systems on a standard 1.6 engine. CIS works just fine as long as you (and the owners before you) don't/didn't screw around with it without knowing what to do.
      Last edited by Chris16vRocco; 04-30-2012 at 08:22 PM.
      Deal with it.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 08:57 PM #15571
      The 1.6 is a happy little engine that is regarded as being better than the 1.7. I really loved mine. We all know what I did with my little 1.6... And that was drive it! I predicted that it would make half the hp that my 16V did, and in fact it dynoed at 66.6 hp, which is great considering that is about what it should have been making new. And is exactly half what my 16V makes...

Anyway, straight CIS is a great system when it is working properly. It actually meters fuel amazingly well and will adjust without tuning if a cam is swapped. The downside is that the distributor is very old, so it will either be gummed up from lack of use or worn from long service. if it is working well, just drive and enjoy. If not, well, build a stupidly Rediculous Frankenturbo and enjoy. My vote is for keeping the CIS unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise.

Vehicles
      '78 CE Antje, '81 S 16v Rommel, 3x other Mk1 Sciroccos. No Kias here...
      05-01-2012 12:23 AM #15572
      Anyway, straight CIS is a great system when it is working properly... My vote is for keeping the CIS unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise.
      x2

Get it working correctly, adjusted right; then run a good system cleaner (like BG) every year or so to keep it clean... CIS is pretty much bombproof.
      "By Endurance We Conquer" - Family motto of Sir Ernest Shackleton

33. 05-01-2012 01:13 AM #15573
      So..... the only Mk1 Scirocco w/ a 1.7L was the 1981? I thought it was the '80 that introduced it.

(I must be confused by 'built on date' vs 'Model Year of Sale'.)

Hmmm, can anybody find a 1.7 on this Wiki page? And if not, why not?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_EA827_engine
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...petrol_engines

I think Wikipedia needs some 'splain'n to do... (It's on the Internet, It MUST Be True!)

Ah HAH!, (damn, they made it hard to find...)
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_Volkswagen_engines <-- bold broke my link...
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_Volkswagen_engines
      1.7 litre
      ID code- JF
      1.7-litre, 48 kilowatts (65 PS; 64 hp) — 1982–1984 Volkswagen Rabbit
      ID code- EN
      1.7-litre, 57 kilowatts (77 PS; 76 hp)/59 kilowatts (80 PS; 79 hp) — 1980–1984 Volkswagen Rabbit, Volkswagen Jetta, Volkswagen Scirocco
      See?, seee? (I know, but it is a demonstration of my confusion.)

"kilowatts". Makes the motor sound all 'Back to the Future'-ish.
      Last edited by TBerk; 05-01-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Vehicles
      1975, 1979, 1980
      05-01-2012 01:53 AM #15574
      Once you get CIS running right you should not have to do anything to it as long as you keep it running frequently and do not let the fuel system sit. That is when things start to go down hill such as rusty tanks and varnished fuel.

CIS can properly fuel anything from a 1.6L to a 2.0L so leave it in and do some reading
      http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CF8Q8wIwAA
      Gordy S
      MK1 x 3

05-01-2012 08:07 AM #15575
      Thanks for the feedback folks. I guess mostly it scares me because I dont know much about it. On the other hand, the other two conversions take anlot of learning as well.

Page 445 of 572 FirstFirst ... 345395435441442443444445446447448449455495545 ... LastLast