Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: 80's VW Comercials...

Vehicles
      '07 Cayman S, '14 FieSTa, '90 GLi VR6, '96 Passat TDi Wagon
      07-25-2002 06:01 PM #1
      Anyone have any VW comercials from the 80's?? I used to have the Scirocco dealer vid, but lost it... I am looking for anything like TV Ads, Dealer promo stuff, personal vids, etc. etc.

Thanks!

~Pete

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC
      07-25-2002 06:15 PM #2
      corrados ads would be awesome if anyones got em

Vehicles
      2014 Golf TDI wagon, 2003 Passat 1.8T
      07-25-2002 06:23 PM #3
      The only VW commercial I can recall from the 80's was for the 16V GTI back around 1987. It had this silly "Riding along in my GTI" song playing over it.

I don't remember ever seeing any TV commercials for the Corrado when it was introduced in late 1989 or any other time during it's life.

I do remember the early commercials in 1990 & 1991 for the Passat.

4. 07-25-2002 07:04 PM #4
      The Corrado one was cool...with the Beetle falling off a cliff, and then it shows the Corrado.

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      07-25-2002 07:10 PM #5
      there were a few Corrado comercials. besides the one with the beetle falling off a clif, there was a G60 Corrado commercial driving down some back roads going airborn at one point. both were pretty cool.

6. 07-25-2002 07:39 PM #6
      I don't remember any of the ones from the Passat back in the early 90's. What were those ones like?

Vehicles
      07-25-2002 08:06 PM #7
      The one Passat commercial I remember went like this:

Guy calls up old girlfriend after many years. They're meeting for drinks, coffee, whatever. She asks "How will I recognize you?" to which he replies "I'll be the one with the Volkswagen" and she says "Still driving a Volkswagen huh?"

Cut to exterior of girls apartmet: On the corner there is a Beetle and on the other corner is the guy waiting in front of his Passat. Girl exits building and checks out the Beetle, looking for the guy.

Voice over: "The new Volkswagen Passat. It's time to think about Volkswagen again".

There was a sequel to this and a continuation of the story, but I don't have time to type it right now. I'll add it when I get back later tonight.

[Modified by MEIN_VW, 7:07 PM 7-25-2002]

8. 07-25-2002 08:10 PM #8
      Sweet! That's the kind of commercial that VWoA needs with the Phaeton.

Vehicles
      07 Mercedes E63 wagon
      07-25-2002 09:48 PM #9
      Here's a couple of print ads...

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-25-2002 09:56 PM #10
      In 1983, when VW introduced the 90hp (!) American-spec GTI engine to the US, it first appeared in the Scirocco (preceding the Rabbit GTI). The teevee commercial for the new Scirocco was memorable. In it, a black Scirocco is driven, with verve, on what appears to be a factory (VW, natch) proving grounds skidpad, with white lab-coated VW engineers looking on approvingly.

At the end of the ad, the Scirocco pulls to a smoking-tired brake-turn stop, the drivers window opens, and the helmeted pilot flips up his visor, upon which "smoke" wafts from within. The team of engineers asks him (in thick German accents); "Any keh-veshchuns?"

It's a great ad, and was quite a hit with VW enthusiasts at the time. I still bump into it on my old racing (ESPN) videotapes now and then.

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

Vehicles
      2013 Volkswagen GTI; 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS; 2000 Kawasaki W650
      07-25-2002 10:07 PM #11
      I seem to vaguely recall an ad for a Jetta (I think) where it is running a slalom but instead of cones to mark the slalom course, they are using white lab coat "VW engineers."

But then maybe I am just smoking crack

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-25-2002 10:49 PM #12
      No, you weren't hallucinating (at least that time ). VW's US advertising, for awhile, went pretty heavy on a white-labcoated-engineers-as-props binge.

The American Public watched, yawned, and avoided VW showrooms in ever increasing numbers through the '80s. Volkswagen's US advertising during this time, IMO, made the fatal mistake of "preaching to the choir"; leaving all but the hardboiled VW enthusiasts (like me) completely baffled as to what the heck kind of cars they were trying to sell.

"Fahrfergnugen" only made things worse. That, along with a VWoA that was managed by people in semi-comatose hazes. Or, was it maybe the crack?

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

13. 07-25-2002 11:53 PM #13
      "Der Golf Country"????
      Was it meant to be driven across cow pastures??

<I actually kinda like it. I'd do it to my Jetta except I'd get trashed as an SUV poseur>

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      07-26-2002 01:57 AM #14
      quote:
      I seem to vaguely recall an ad for a Jetta (I think) where it is running a slalom but instead of cones to mark the slalom course, they are using white lab coat "VW engineers."

They also had a skid pad commercial where the lab coat engineers were standing in a circle with a GTI in the middle doing circles. each time the car would complete a circle the engineers would take one step inward.

I have a 1985 GLI training video. In the beginning there is a brief clip of a Mk1 GTI being drifted through a corner.

Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
      Vehicles
      1988 Porsche 928S4, 2001 Porsche Boxster S, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
      07-26-2002 07:57 AM #15
      quote:
      At the end of the ad, the Scirocco pulls to a smoking-tired brake-turn stop, the drivers window opens, and the helmeted pilot flips up his visor, upon which "smoke" wafts from within. The team of engineers asks him (in thick German accents); "Any keh-veshchuns?"

It's a great ad, and was quite a hit with VW enthusiasts at the time. I still bump into it on my old racing (ESPN) videotapes now and then.

larry,

you sure you got the quote right? as i recall after he lifts his visor and the steam rolls out, he <the driver> says "Ausgezeichnet!" (excellent) in kind of an excited whisper, like being out of breath. i was taking german in high school at the time and took the tape to class. that's the way our teacher heard it too...

1988 Porsche 928S4
      2001 Porsche Boxster S
      2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4

Porsche's are not built to be something for everyone, but rather everything for someone.

16. 07-26-2002 08:01 AM #16
      the Golf Country looks sweet

Vehicles
      '07 Cayman S, '14 FieSTa, '90 GLi VR6, '96 Passat TDi Wagon
      07-26-2002 09:15 AM #17
      Someone please record and post these kick ass comercials you keep talking about!!

~Pete

18. Senior Member
      07-26-2002 09:23 AM #18
      Volkswagen use to be the stick that measured everyone else's adverts. The original beetle campaign was/is/always shall be legendary.

Oh, someone asked about Corrado adverts, I can't recall a TV one but one of the print ads (for the SLC I think) had the caption "Keep up with the Porsche's and not the Jonses"

Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      vaudi
      07-26-2002 10:12 AM #19
      Here's some older VW commercial wav files....I'll keep looking. I know if you go to http://www.vw.com you can view most of the more recent commercials...like the GTi falling out of the tree..the wedding one with the Jetta...etc....

http://dropgates.com/commercials.html

Vehicles
      vaudi
      07-26-2002 10:13 AM #20

Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
      07-26-2002 10:41 AM #21
      When the Rabbit/Golf mk1 first came out in the US, there was an ad for it that showed a beetle, and then the Rabbit, with a little jingle that went.. "Volkswagen does it...Again!"

- Turq.

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
      - Plato

22. 07-26-2002 10:48 AM #22
      I seem to rember a Corrado comerial back in 90 it was a shot of the shifter and the driver I think and some simi agresive driving/shifting. But its kinda fuzzy hey I was only 10 at the time

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-26-2002 10:53 PM #23
      You know, as I was writing that, a sense of nagging doubt kept...nagging at me about that very thing. You're perfectly correct, and I have Alzheimer's disease (or maybe its just another acid flashback; darned things ).

Thanx for the correction. The "Any keh-veshchuns?" line was in another eighties VW ad; was it one of the GTI spots?

Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
      Vehicles
      1988 Porsche 928S4, 2001 Porsche Boxster S, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
      07-26-2002 11:11 PM #24

that's alright. that was always my favorite vw commercial, even though i was into beetles, not scirrocos. well, and the "Kleinen GTI" commercial...

after that, we were saying Ausgezeichnet! to everything. that was our little german buzz word. along with "Heraus mit der hände hoch!". PO'd the teacher to no end...

1988 Porsche 928S4
      2001 Porsche Boxster S
      2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4

Porsche's are not built to be something for everyone, but rather everything for someone.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-26-2002 11:19 PM #25
      Hell I still say "Ausgezeichnet" all the time. It just sounds, well...gut.

Vehicles
      07-27-2002 01:55 AM #26
      quote:
      The one Passat commercial I remember went like this:

Guy calls up old girlfriend after many years. They're meeting for drinks, coffee, whatever. She asks "How will I recognize you?" to which he replies "I'll be the one with the Volkswagen" and she says "Still driving a Volkswagen huh?"

Cut to exterior of girls apartmet: On the corner there is a Beetle and on the other corner is the guy waiting in front of his Passat. Girl exits building and checks out the Beetle, looking for the guy.

Voice over: "The new Volkswagen Passat. It's time to think about Volkswagen again".

There was a sequel to this and a continuation of the story, but I don't have time to type it right now. I'll add it when I get back later tonight.

[Modified by MEIN_VW, 7:07 PM 7-25-2002]

Ok, here's part II to this commercial.

Outside on the curb in front of the old girlfriend's apartment with the guy in front of the Passat:

The girl says to her old flame, "So where are you living now?" to which he replies "Oh, I have a little shack on the beach" (This is not verbatim as I am recalling 12-year-old memories here)

Cut to image of shack on beach then back to the couple about to get into the Passat.

The girl says "I thought you said you drove a Volkswagen?" to which he replies "It is".

Cut to interior of Passat driving away. The girl is looking around the interior perplexed:

The girl says "What kind of Volkswagen is this?" to which the guy replies "It's a Passat".

The girl is obviously impressed.

The girl asks with a big smile on her face "So, do you have an pictures of your little shack?"

Cut to exterior of Passat driving into the sunset.

Voice-over: "The new Volkswagen Passat. It will change the way you think about Volkswagen"

27. 07-27-2002 05:16 PM #27
      How about the Caddy TV comercial with Ted Dansin in it?

Dave.
      '90 GLi
      '97 Jetta GT

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Focus 1.0 Wagon (mine), 2011 VW Golf 1.2 TSI (wife´s)
      07-27-2002 06:38 PM #28
      You can find a lot of old car (print) ads (since the 40s) @ http://www.adflip.com .
      Like this one (already mentioned):

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      07-28-2002 02:03 AM #29
      Try this link - I think you will enjoy it:

http://www.hvwc.net/movies/

Not sure how many of the vids are still active though but this goes WAY back.

>8^)
      ER