Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '84 Rabbit Diesel Restoration

1. 06-09-2009 01:42 PM #1
      id like to start a progress tracking thread for my rabbit

i bought this car when i was 16 for $550. when i got to college, i decided i wanted to start restoring it. i wanted to make it exactly like it was when it rolled off the factory line.

ive been working on it, off and on (mostly off ) for the past 8 years. i have been putting together a massive collection of NOS parts (so far mainly interior, including NOS carpet and NOS dash), and also been having work done on the car

so far i got the interior completely re-upholstered, i got all body work done, and a brand new paintjob, and i also had the engine and transmission both completely rebuilt (un-necessary since the car only has 116k on it)

anyway, ill post in here as work progresses.....right now im working on restoring interior parts that i dont have NOS replacements for

pics!!

how she sat 9 years ago:

teaser of the paint job:

loooots of NOS interior parts.....very hard to find in my color, ive found:

including this NOS dash, still in wrapping, never even had a VIN on it:

parts clean up pretty nice:

Modified by Ghost of VW TANK at 9:58 PM 6-10-2009

Vehicles
      audi a4 1.8t quattro
      06-09-2009 01:51 PM #2
      wtf, where the hell did you get a NOS dash in a bag like that?

3. 06-09-2009 01:53 PM #3
      wow that REALLY impressive. This is gonna be a really nice stock car.

4. 06-09-2009 01:53 PM #4
      looks like a nice collection and a great start...of 8 years...keep it up

5. 06-09-2009 01:58 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by ashleyroemk1 »
      wtf, where the hell did you get a NOS dash in a bag like that?

something like 6 years ago parts4vws had a random box of interior parts for sale.....$250 for the whole box, which included most of whats in those pictures

best money i ever spent

Vehicles
      audi a4 1.8t quattro
      06-09-2009 02:30 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Ghost of VW TANK »

best money i ever spent

i would have to agree!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      84 Diesel Rabbit - daily driver
      06-09-2009 04:45 PM #7
      Howdy.... also have an 84 Rabbit Diesel that is pretty much "stock".... the mechanical stuff is done, and running great (A/C blows colder than my MKV)

I'm going to start working on some interior things, and am looking for any advice or warnings that I might need. The next thing I'm doing is replacing the carpet, and then installing some MKV Rabbit seats in it. I'm having a custom "bracket" made for the seats. My question today is about pulling up the carpet. It appears to be glued down. (right?). Am I going to have a bunch of glue to get up ?..... also, the door sills don't appear to have any screws holding them down, so it looks like I just need to carefully pry up the sills... (right? )

This Rabbit is my daily driver (keeping the miles off of the MKV rabbit).... and I use it for carrying my Kayak, for fishing..... 206K miles, and runs very strong.

any advice ?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06-09-2009 04:56 PM #8
      I probably should have started a new thread and not injected my Rabbit into yours.... I apologize if my post was not appropriate....

9. 06-09-2009 05:59 PM #9
      not only is the carpet glued down, its glued down by the worst glue known to man. getting that stuff up was awful

and IIRC, the door sills are just clipped on, so you just pry them up....but i took them off 8 years ago, so i am not 100% on that

i like your car, thats in ridiculously nice shape

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit P/U, 69 Javelin, 88 CRX, 99 Miata, 00 S4, 70 D200, 00 LHS
      06-09-2009 06:58 PM #10
      Is there any chance of me being able to get that set of interior parts? I need those same parts, color and all, for my caddy.
      Crimson Ride TDI - a TDI swap into a '81 Rabbit P/U

11. 06-09-2009 07:00 PM #11
      i can safely say there is 0% chance of you getting them

sorry, but i need them too

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit Diesel, 01 Golf TDI
      06-09-2009 07:07 PM #12
      Wow. Just wow.

I would love to do the same thing. I've always wanted my Rabbit put back into tippy top shape. Keep it up, and POST MORE PICS!

2001 Golf TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
      http://matt_lisa.home.sprynet.com/

13. 06-09-2009 08:24 PM #13
      i spent a few hours today restoring some more parts...including my seat belts, which now look brand new

as it stands, my parts list is about 65 parts long, totaling $3,500

ive classified $2,300 of those as being priority 1 parts, that i need before i can finish the build...the rest can be installed later down the line

a few of them are big ticket items....like fuel pump, gas tank, floor pans, steering rack

Vehicles
      06-09-2009 08:55 PM #14
      i can safely say there is 0% chance of you getting them

sorry, but i need them too

Well I didn't mean your set specifically just another set.

Vehicles
      '13 passat tdi sel, '93 slc
      06-09-2009 09:41 PM #15
      Whoa. Nice.

16. 06-10-2009 11:55 AM #16
      so heres a question for you guys....

my body work is all done and its painted, but the guy who did the work didnt fill in 2 holes in my firewall that were drilled there for aftermarket A/C hoses....so now i have 2 about 1" holes in my firewall....and my bodywork guy passed away a few years ago, so he cant fix it

anyway, any thoughts on how to fll these? make some sort of custom rubber filler or something?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06-10-2009 01:13 PM #17
      The only thing I can think of, is to do a similar thing that I did last week, to fix a leak I had, around my rear hatch. The rubber boots that contained the wiring for the rear window defroster were deteriorated, and water was getting in, when it rained. The window defroster doesn't work... so, I removed the boots, and cut them so that I was left with a grommet with a hole in the middle of it. I then took some black "gasket maker" stuff, and filled the hole. (let it sit for two days)... then installed the grommets, and hit them w/ a "coating" of spray paint. ( leak fixed ! ). You may be able to do a similar thing.... I'd go by a NAPA store (or other auto parts place) ... they usually have a selection of "O" rings and grommets. You might get lucky and find one that will fit the hole....

just a thought.....

18. 06-10-2009 04:03 PM #18
      ill do that....ill do some looking and see if i can find something i can just pop in. the tricky part is, the holes overlap each other, so its a weird shape. ill try to get a picture of it next time im around my car

i also ordered replacement front floorpans today. mine arent TOTALLY shot yet, but while i have everything taken apart, i figure might as well spend the $50 a side and do it

19. 06-11-2009 08:42 PM #19
      today i popped the cherry on my NOS dash...its not installed, but i did transfer the clips and switches over to it

i need to get my hand on a riveting tool so i can rivet the VIN from my last dash onto this one

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit Diesel, 01 Golf TDI
      06-12-2009 12:56 PM #20
      I'm watching this thread with a lot of interest. Let's see some of these parts going in!
      2001 Golf TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
      http://matt_lisa.home.sprynet.com/

Vehicles
      golfs on junior cupkits with a side of chalet sauce... jetta ecodiesel w/snailtrail
      06-12-2009 01:52 PM #21
      i need that ****ing dash
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Harley
      yo, is that a wolf?
      MODS IN THE SIG: MY MODS IS IN THE SIG!

22. 06-12-2009 01:55 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by MattRabbit »
      I'm watching this thread with a lot of interest. Let's see some of these parts going in!

im itching to get some work done on it. problem is, i dont have room at my house for it (i dont even have a garage for it at my house ) so i keep it in my parents garage in upstate NY...so i can only work on it when i swing by there...hence why i brought home an entire pickup truck full of interior parts to restore in the mean time

i should be heading up there on monday....if im lucky, maybe ill get some work done on it. at the very least ill get some more pics of the car, the engine, and the other parts i have in store for it

23. 06-12-2009 04:28 PM #23
      MASSIVE parts order from mk1 autohaus.....ben is a great guy, hes helped me with this over the past few days and has been very patient:

-4 speed shift linkage rebuild kit
      - push in grille clips (2 sets)
      - diesel injection pump to injector lines
      - water deflector
      - clips for water deflector
      - 1/4 flare mounting kit
      - bumper end cap sets (2 sets)
      - headlight bucket rebuild kit (2 sets)
      - body and rocker trim clips with seals
      - door handles (L&R)
      - door panel clips (2 sets)
      - wheel hubs (2)
      - control arms (2)
      - front strut install kit
      - US diesel 2 tab gas cap
      - accelerator cable

and there will be more to come

Vehicles
      2013 Kia Rio5 SX, 1985 Ford Mustang GT, 1989 GTi 16v
      06-13-2009 07:54 PM #24
      Nice build, for a local

Vehicles
      1990 Fox Wagon, 1976 Porsche 924
      06-13-2009 09:30 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by Mainiac »

That plate needs a little more pchop tweeking.

1990 Fox Wagon
      1976 Porsche 924

26. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2009 11:57 PM #26
      yeah... the only reason I tweeked my license plate, is 'cause I saw other folks do it....
      but... that is an "Attack Cat", if someone wanted to try to get my Rabbit.....

27. 06-14-2009 12:30 PM #27
      so yesterday i picked up a near mint wood grain dash bezel....the one issue is the silver/chrome trim around the edges is looking a little worn in some spots. other than that, its in aweome condition for a 25 year old bezel

im thinking of figuring out a way to redo the silver/chrome striping....has anyone ever done this before?

the duplicolor chrome paint looks like it would have the perfect result, but using spraypaint for such a small strip seems just about impossible...masking off everything else would take forever

any tips?

Vehicles
      06-14-2009 01:33 PM #28
      You could try model paint and let us know how it goes.

Vehicles
      2001 Nogaro Stg 3 S4, 1976 Scirocco
      06-14-2009 01:56 PM #29
      Wedge shape felt tip paint pens. You get them at any arts and crafts store. They will *not* replicate the chrome look accurately though....they work pretty good for replicating the get stripe on GTI's though.

30. 06-14-2009 09:11 PM #30
      yea i was in the craft store (gay) yesterday, and all they had were silver pearlescent paint pens....not hte look im going for

this is quite a pickle im in

31. Member
      06-14-2009 09:19 PM #31
      yea i was in the craft store (gay) yesterday, and all they had were silver pearlescent paint pens....not hte look im going for

this is quite a pickle im in

Ooooh! glittery!

When I re-did the grill on my old rabbit, I went to Pep Boys (ugh) and got some silver pin striping. It came in a package of like 4 different widths so I used one of the smaller widths and applied it to the part that was supposed to be silver. You could see where I cut the pin striping so it didn't look perfect...just a thought

Modified by bunnytruck at 5:21 PM 6-14-2009

32. 06-15-2009 11:28 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by bunnytruck »

Ooooh! glittery!

When I re-did the grill on my old rabbit, I went to Pep Boys (ugh) and got some silver pin striping. It came in a package of like 4 different widths so I used one of the smaller widths and applied it to the part that was supposed to be silver. You could see where I cut the pin striping so it didn't look perfect...just a thought

Modified by bunnytruck at 5:21 PM 6-14-2009

pinstriping, i didnt even think of that!

i have a couple old bezels laying around to experiment on, so id like to try that. i would guess if i take my time and did it right it might look good

33. Member
      06-15-2009 12:22 PM #33

pinstriping, i didnt even think of that!

i have a couple old bezels laying around to experiment on, so id like to try that. i would guess if i take my time and did it right it might look good

One thing you might try is using a hair dryer (not a heat gun as it would probably get way too hot) and apply it just long enough that you can kind of curve the pin striping around the turns in the bezel. It might look better than having cut lines

34. 06-16-2009 03:52 PM #34
      no progress, but picture updates:

here are some shots of the paintjob. everything looks a little dusty since its been sitting for years and year, but i assure you, the paint is ridiculousy gossy, and beautiful:

spare tire area:

side:

floor pans....just surface rust. i will be cleaning these up and painting:

front pans....same deal:

hood:

engine bay. looks like crap, but same thing as before. this was also painted and is super nice. just needs to be cleaned up:

even the steelies got refinished:

rear quarter:

rear. only complaint is the very bottom is a little bent:

here is the engine and tranny....both completely rebuilt, and block painted, heads are beautiful:

some NOS factory carpet:

front seats completely reupholstered(sorry for the angle, they are under covers:

rear bench (same deal):

Vehicles
      audi a4 1.8t quattro
      06-16-2009 03:56 PM #35
      no progress, but picture updates:

here are some shots of the paintjob. everything looks a little dusty since its been sitting for years and year, but i assure you, the paint is ridiculousy gossy, and beautiful:

spare tire area:

side:

floor pans....just surface rust. i will be cleaning these up and painting:

front pans....same deal:

hood:

engine bay. looks like crap, but same thing as before. this was also painted and is super nice. just needs to be cleaned up:

even the steelies got refinished:

rear quarter:

rear. only complaint is the very bottom is a little bent:

here is the engine and tranny....both completely rebuilt, and block painted, heads are beautiful:

some NOS factory carpet:

front seats completely reupholstered(sorry for the angle, they are under covers:

rear bench (same deal):

all of that is soooo good!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast