Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 217 of 408 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317 ... LastLast
    Results 5,401 to 5,425 of 10176

Thread: New Guys: Ask The Experts Thread.

Vehicles
      92 Corrado VRT, 2011 GTI 2.0T
      07-09-2011 01:41 PM #5401
      While driving my C for about an hour today, I turned on the A/C. With the a/c on I am seeing oil temps as high as 242, and coolant temps as high as 200 ish. These temps were on the highway doing about 80mph avg. Normal driving with no a/c, coolant never goes above 190 and oil temps stay around 220. Outside air temps are roughly 85. Is this normal, or should I avoid running the a/c if I am seeing these temps? TIA

Edit: VR6 BTW
      Last edited by ItsNotaScirocco; 07-10-2011 at 09:24 AM.
      WTB Passat Syncro Rear beam

Vehicles
      93 Corrado 12v, 15 Jeep Trailhawk
      07-11-2011 09:32 AM #5402
      Quote Originally Posted by ItsNotaScirocco View Post
      Is this normal, or should I avoid running the a/c if I am seeing these temps? TIA

Edit: VR6 BTW
      242 is a bit high, but not un heard of. VR6 engines like 10W40 fully synthetic oil. If you aren't using it, you should.
      Your owners manual warns against having the AC on while driving hard for long periods of time. But if the oil is 240 ish for your morning commute, that isn't going to warp the head... However, normal oil temp should hang around 210-230. I dont use A/C in my VR because I love hearing my exhaust sing but, to each his own.
      -TLJ

Vehicles
      07-11-2011 09:35 AM #5403
      Quote Originally Posted by RedYellowWhite View Post
      Is it possible to weld a cracked inner 3pc wheel barrel?
      The crack is about 1'' long and it starts from the edge of the barrel...
      Is it safe for the wheels structural integrity/design?
      Theoretically welding material, once it cures into the metal is as strong as the metal it is bonded with... However since it is a wheel, and air goes in a wheel.... IDK I would prefer to go big or go home and have the wheel repaired by a pro
      -TLJ

Vehicles
      91 Corrado 2.0l 16v on MS3X, Parked like Jurassic... 83 Cabby 1.8l 16v... 88 Powerplay XLT-185
      07-11-2011 10:17 AM #5404
      Quote Originally Posted by RedYellowWhite View Post
      Is it possible to weld a cracked inner 3pc wheel barrel?
      The crack is about 1'' long and it starts from the edge of the barrel...
      Is it safe for the wheels structural integrity/design?
      Yes, 2 of mine are welded and are fine

Quote Originally Posted by TheLateJetta View Post
      Theoretically welding material, once it cures into the metal is as strong as the metal it is bonded with... However since it is a wheel, and air goes in a wheel.... IDK I would prefer to go big or go home and have the wheel repaired by a pro
      yes, this needs to be done by a professional
      Quote Originally Posted by crazynorweegian View Post
      Good luck, might want to get vaccinated for "while-I-am-in-there" syndrome.
      tek-euro.com SpoonFedTuning

my Corrado's specs on corrado-database / My Corrado Build Thread / My Cabby Build Thread / My Boat Build: 18' Powerplay w/5.7l V8

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC, Audi A8 QUATTRO, B6 ULTRASPORT MT6
      07-11-2011 10:36 AM #5405
      242 is a bit high, but not un heard of. VR6 engines like 10W40 fully synthetic oil. If you aren't using it, you should.
      Your owners manual warns against having the AC on while driving hard for long periods of time. But if the oil is 240 ish for your morning commute, that isn't going to warp the head... However, normal oil temp should hang around 210-230. I dont use A/C in my VR because I love hearing my exhaust sing but, to each his own.
      what LateJetta said and I will add, that is signs of a failing oil cooler. If everything else in the cooling system is sealed, no leaks, and fans operational......Oil Cooler and those temps should drop.
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Quote Originally Posted by pileofredparts View Post
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      07-11-2011 11:29 AM #5406
      Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Karmann View Post
      Yes, 2 of mine are welded and are fine

yes, this needs to be done by a professional
      Thanks both

I'll post some pics soon to show the damage...
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

7. Member
      07-11-2011 11:45 AM #5407
      so I have a decent amount mechanics skills, been out the VW game for a lil bit, tryin to fix my girls 98 Jetta Vr, its been sitting for a while, before she gave up on it she says(bare with me here) she would randomly be driving and the car would shut off and all lights were off except on the dash and radio. Then apparently the car would just start up and drive again normal without cranking it over, after it died, the problem eventually got worse and worse until it wouldn't do anything anymore, about to go take my first look at it today bring a fresh battery, and scan it just looking or some input at all, I know you guys are good and have seen just about it all. Thanks in advance. - Brendan

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      07-11-2011 12:14 PM #5408
      Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombers689 View Post
      so I have a decent amount mechanics skills, been out the VW game for a lil bit, tryin to fix my girls 98 Jetta Vr, its been sitting for a while, before she gave up on it she says(bare with me here) she would randomly be driving and the car would shut off and all lights were off except on the dash and radio. Then apparently the car would just start up and drive again normal without cranking it over, after it died, the problem eventually got worse and worse until it wouldn't do anything anymore, about to go take my first look at it today bring a fresh battery, and scan it just looking or some input at all, I know you guys are good and have seen just about it all. Thanks in advance. - Brendan
      Wrong forum.

But might want to check the ignition switch
      Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.

9. 07-11-2011 03:02 PM #5409
      So through my explorations on craig's list, I found a gorgeous 1990 VW Corrado with the G60. Only problem is the supercharger is bad. Is this fixable? What's involved? Can I get a new one? Cost of that? Help please!!!

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC, Audi A8 QUATTRO, B6 ULTRASPORT MT6
      07-11-2011 03:22 PM #5410
      Quote Originally Posted by VdubG60Swag View Post
      So through my explorations on craig's list, I found a gorgeous 1990 VW Corrado with the G60. Only problem is the supercharger is bad. Is this fixable? What's involved? Can I get a new one? Cost of that? Help please!!!
      A Lot is involved especially if it blew on the car, you may be in for a huge rebuild of other components while replacing the charger.
      Find a local reputable shop with G60 Experience.
      If you are looking for a Corrado as a fun car, it will be a project. The fact you are asking what is involved shows that you have 0 previous experience, and I would recommend another car unless you have deep pockets.

Otherwise walk away from this one.
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Quote Originally Posted by pileofredparts View Post
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

Vehicles
      92 Corrado VRT, 2011 GTI 2.0T
      07-11-2011 05:15 PM #5411
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBZAK View Post
      what LateJetta said and I will add, that is signs of a failing oil cooler. If everything else in the cooling system is sealed, no leaks, and fans operational......Oil Cooler and those temps should drop.
      FML... Everything is sealed and most of the coolant system is new(crack pipe, water pump, etc). I have run mobil 1 10w30 since I got the car. But after some reading I read that 5w30 is a prefered oil for VR's I guess I will switch back to 10w30 or 10w40 as latejetta said and see if this helps. I will be buying a oil cooler for my turbo set up. If my current oil cooler fails, I should be able to run the new one for the turbo set up right? Turbo and all its goodies wont be installed till this winter.
      WTB Passat Syncro Rear beam

Vehicles
      91 Corrado g60T, 2008 honda ridgeline
      07-11-2011 05:50 PM #5412
      can i wire a resistor to the factory oil pressure signal wire to make the alarm stop. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Vehicles
      91 Corrado 2.0l 16v on MS3X, Parked like Jurassic... 83 Cabby 1.8l 16v... 88 Powerplay XLT-185
      07-11-2011 05:53 PM #5413
      Quote Originally Posted by nu2dubbing View Post
      can i wire a resistor to the factory oil pressure signal wire to make the alarm stop. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge.
      Pull your cluster apart and remove the buzzer for $1000 Trebek

my Corrado's specs on corrado-database / My Corrado Build Thread / My Cabby Build Thread / My Boat Build: 18' Powerplay w/5.7l V8

Vehicles
      91 gti (8v)
      07-11-2011 06:40 PM #5414
      I usually jus rim lower exaust and minor tune, minimal look and clean, no badges I think i will stick with that. I bought a 90 g60 borred out with flat heads/ no blower. my bad Always wanted one but it stop running after a couple months. i would take my foot off the gas and it would "bog" down then shut off, unless given gas. then it jus stop turnig over, oh yeah then i burned out starter solenoid. nice..... now she is under a carport collecting dust. I am far from a master mechanic and my vdub mechanic scratches his head. when i bought the car the guy said he broke front motor mount (motor broke free) but he rebuild blah blah..... My problem now not sure what it could be. Please heeellllllpppp. and how do i get pics up without usin a url?

15. 07-11-2011 08:04 PM #5415
      Quote Originally Posted by cyberstasi View Post
      when disassembling the charger. how does one remove the displacer from the unit and then how does one seperate the shaft from the displacer. I'd like a bit of insight before I attempt it.
      anyone got any insight for me?
      If you have a 1987 Scirocco 16V with the VIN # of WVWCB0530HK015785 PLEASE Contact me!
      FS: 90 Canadian G60 Corrado - Legally Imported into US - Lots of Euro Goodness Included

Vehicles
      07-11-2011 08:21 PM #5416
      Yea but that flashing light sucks too. Alright not getting far on this. Can someone give me an easy link to the t I need to connect the factory sensor and the auto meter oil sensor to the oil filter housing. Thanks

17. Member
      07-12-2011 09:05 AM #5417
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBurninator View Post
      Wrong forum.

But might want to check the ignition switch
      should have figured, toggled around with the switch a little bit starts and runs fine if you hold in the right place, gotta be it, poppin a new one in today. Thanks.

Vehicles
      07-12-2011 11:21 AM #5418
      Quote Originally Posted by ItsNotaScirocco View Post
      I guess I will switch back to 10w30 or 10w40 as latejetta said and see if this helps.
      10w40 FTW
      VR6 Want thick oil, that 5w30 is too watery for them. I doubt it will change much about your temp issue but who knows... its a corrado
      -TLJ

Vehicles
      07-12-2011 11:22 AM #5419
      Quote Originally Posted by cyberstasi View Post
      anyone got any insight for me?
      Ya, it's been awhile and I'm a little hung over this morning, but you need to remove all the circlips and IIRC, you need to tap out the shaft with a hammer. I have to take another one apart today and will let you know for sure later

Yea but that flashing light sucks too. Alright not getting far on this. Can someone give me an easy link to the t I need to connect the factory sensor and the auto meter oil sensor to the oil filter housing. Thanks
      So hook it all up the correct way or unhook the LED, have some imagination bro

Vehicles
      07-12-2011 03:51 PM #5420
      thats what im planning on just need to know where to get the T to do so. I guess the biggest problem I have is I am not sure if im looking for metric thread, An fitting or a combo of both. Is anyone else running an after market oil pressure gauge and there factory low pressure switch care to tell me where they got the fitting TIA

Vehicles
      07-12-2011 03:58 PM #5421
      thats what im planning on just need to know where to get the T to do so. I guess the biggest problem I have is I am not sure if im looking for metric thread, An fitting or a combo of both. Is anyone else running an after market oil pressure gauge and there factory low pressure switch care to tell me where they got the fitting TIA

Never mind got it from the mkII guys.

Vehicles
      91 corrado,11 GTI
      07-13-2011 07:12 AM #5422
      I have been told that you should never jump start a corrado as you will trip the automatic transmission sensors. the correct way to do it is to pull the battery and charge and place it back in the vehicle. Is there any validity to this or is it just a bunch of bs!!!

Vehicles
      07-13-2011 11:04 AM #5423
      Quote Originally Posted by gti4speed! View Post
      I have been told that you should never jump start a corrado as you will trip the automatic transmission sensors. the correct way to do it is to pull the battery and charge and place it back in the vehicle. Is there any validity to this or is it just a bunch of bs!!!
      I call BS Jared's brother in law, right?

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      07-13-2011 11:28 AM #5424
      Quote Originally Posted by gti4speed! View Post
      That makes no sense at all...

Think about how a 12v DC electrical system works for a minute...
      Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.

Vehicles
      07-13-2011 11:37 AM #5425
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBurninator View Post
      That makes no sense at all...

Think about how a 12v DC electrical system works for a minute...

I know all about this car, low mileage auto that "pej" called me about a few times, supposedly a really clean 91 with 45k on the clock, but the original owner is a low knowledge douche

Page 217 of 408 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317 ... LastLast