VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

New Guys: Ask The Experts Thread.

1M views 11K replies 896 participants last post by  F16Waldo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
ok new guys, rather than posting a TON of different threads, please post your questions in here so we can all try to help you out.
be sure to list the following:
year of car, motor type, any modifications you know of.
issue at hand
your ability to work on cars (be honest on this one)
ok, ask away...........
pic for clicks.............

See less See more
#19 ·
Re: I see a lot of New Guys in here, so lets start an "ask the experts thread".... (Noobercorn)

Quote, originally posted by Noobercorn »
not abnormal at all. basically, all corrado's run hot. (water and oil temps)
my suggestion: flush system, new thermostat, water wetter, and an external oil cooler.
also, try a new oil temp sensor. it is possible it is defective. i had one once that was really hot, and i put a new oil temp sensor and the car showed perfect temps (with boost, in the summer too)
also, i have dropped as much as 20 degrees on oil temp by simply changing the viscosity of oil in the car. since then, i have run mobile 1 synthetic 10w30 in everything i own.

as i know people have stated 300 is normal but i had one hit 320 with the AC on a +100deg day and the next day melted 2 pistons... (but it wasn't the only sole contributing factor, it just didnt help)
not to make you paranoid but an external oil cooler placed in front of the radiator and behind either grille of choice (upper or lower) wouldnt kill you either...

#21 ·
Re: I see a lot of New Guys in here, so lets start an "ask the experts thread".... (Noobercorn)

Quote, originally posted by Noobercorn »
not abnormal at all. basically, all corrado's run hot. (water and oil temps)
my suggestion: flush system, new thermostat, water wetter, and an external oil cooler.
also, try a new oil temp sensor. it is possible it is defective. i had one once that was really hot, and i put a new oil temp sensor and the car showed perfect temps (with boost, in the summer too)
also, i have dropped as much as 20 degrees on oil temp by simply changing the viscosity of oil in the car. since then, i have run mobile 1 synthetic 10w30 in everything i own.

Also don't forget to change all three coolant temp sensore, both oil pressure switchs and oil temp switch like mike said. This will insure correct readings. And what better time to do all of this other then now. And the parts are not expensive or hard to do!

#24 ·
Re: FV-QR (TheBurninator)

good idea mike. hopefully this saves me from staying out of the C forum. i useto look forward to new threads..now i cringe.
and miss. raena... hot chicks are ALWAYS allowed to make new threads. that is the exception. doesnt matter what they ask. as long as they send me a naked pic in a c for proof.
then they have the green light. i guess mcnair can have a pic too..although he is rather fond of rod.

#25 ·
Re: FV-QR (dasbeast3.0)

alright, my turn. The spoiler is starting to act up; has a tough time going up or down, and gets stuck some times. I know it needs to be opened up and cleaned out, but the really good thread that showed how to do this no longer has pics...
anyone have a good pictorial and detail instructions on how to open up the spoiler internals and clean it out/service it so it works again?

#26 ·
Re: FV-QR (VpfinnersW)

Car : 1993
Issue: Stupid spoiler motor doesnt always work it works when it wants to or we have to push the switch up while "gently" pulling up on the spoiler.
Ability to work on cars: I SUCK with large engines or anytrhing my dad was a grease monkey back in tha day but im not sure if he knows european cars but hes got a general idea of cars.

#28 ·
Re: FV-QR (omega260)

Quote, originally posted by omega260 »
Issue: Stupid spoiler motor doesnt always work it works when it wants to or we have to push the switch up while "gently" pulling up on the spoiler.
Ability to work on cars: I SUCK with large engines or anytrhing my dad was a grease monkey back in tha day but im not sure if he knows european cars but hes got a general idea of cars.

you should look at my above post, we're asking for the same thing. the motor probably still works, but after many years of dirt getting in the spoiler internals and not getting lubricated from time to time, it has a tough time working properly. The spoiler needs to be opened up, cleaned out, and relubed.
no offense to your dad, but he would be clueless on how to work on the spoiler; it's more of a unique electrical component than a car/engine type thing that he's used to working on. You and your dad would almost be on the same knowledge level when working on the corrado spoiler

#29 ·
best place to get new interior parts and clips? Got a few pieces that look ass and a few pieces that just don't stay where they're supposed to.
also, any advice on air ride? (seriously)
92 SLC VR6 12v
I have access to lots of tools, got some good and knowledgeable friends. But the Corrado is a trip for everyone, not too bad at figuring things out though.

Modified by NeverOEM at 10:33 AM 6-10-2009

#30 ·
Re: FV-QR (omega260)

Quote, originally posted by VpfinnersW »
alright, my turn. The spoiler is starting to act up; has a tough time going up or down, and gets stuck some times. I know it needs to be opened up and cleaned out, but the really good thread that showed how to do this no longer has pics...
anyone have a good pictorial and detail instructions on how to open up the spoiler internals and clean it out/service it so it works again?

I don't have any pictures but I have taken my spoiler assembly apart a couple of times to clean and re-lube. I find the most difficult part of the whole process is getting the damn thing out of the hatch. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined it's an easy job, just take your time and pay attention to how it came apart. If you are afraid you'll forget how to put it back together take pictures along the way.
Here are some tips:
1) The screws for the trim around the arms may be corroded and tough to get out. Do your best not to strip them. I don't recall if they have to come out but it makes it easier to get the assembly back in.

2) The plastic screws on panel on the inside hatch only need a 1/4 turn. If you try to turn them more they will strip and look like poo.
3) The internals are pretty straight forward. Clean all parts and re-lube. I used a water proof marine grease on mine.

#31 ·
Re: (NeverOEM)

Quote, originally posted by VpfinnersW »

here ya go......
http://www.corradocentral.com/spoilertech.htm
http://www.vwhowto.com/vwhowto...d/63/

see above

Quote, originally posted by Dreizehn »
McNair, I'm trying to fit a civic intake I stole last night onto my G60. **** just won't fit.

Please refer to Tong (skaterasian)'s "smoking alteza tails DIY" vid....

Quote, originally posted by NeverOEM »
best place to get new interior parts and clips? Got a few pieces that look ass and a few pieces that just don't stay where they're supposed to.
http://www.corradoparts.com has lots, and so does http://www.europeanperformance...ge/en
also, any advice on air ride? (seriously)
airride is dope, expect to spend in the 2500 dollar range, and talk to dave (BMXRADO) about it, he is the man!!
92 SLC VR6 12v
I have access to lots of tools, got some good and knowledgeable friends. But the Corrado is a trip for everyone, not too bad at figuring things out though.

Modified by Noobercorn at 1:55 PM 6-10-2009

#33 ·
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by NeverOEM »
appreciate the help good sir, I'll be asking a lot of questions when it comes time for the motor swap I have planned haha.

Also mason-tech makes the airride stuff.
http://www.mason-tech.com/airrideCW1.asp

#34 ·
Re: FV-QR (dasbeast3.0)

Quote, originally posted by dasbeast3.0 »
and miss. raena... hot chicks are ALWAYS allowed to make new threads. that is the exception. doesnt matter what they ask. as long as they send me a naked pic in a c for proof.
then they have the green light. i guess mcnair can have a pic too..although he is rather fond of rod.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! yeah, my strategy for you guys to not know what i look like has its drawbacks. batting your eyelashes anonymously only gets you so far . . once i attend that first big GTG, it's all over. or it all starts . . we'll see.

#1,941 ·
hmmm

Quote, originally posted by dasbeast3.0 »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! yeah, my strategy for you guys to not know what i look like has its drawbacks. batting your eyelashes anonymously only gets you so far . . once i attend that first big GTG, it's all over. or it all starts . . we'll see.
well if your in here lookin for help and you own a rado chances are pretty good your not a three hundred pounder anyway........

#39 ·
Re: FV-QR (TheBurninator)

Quote, originally posted by TheBurninator »
Your actually goin to H20?? AWESHUM

well i'll either be living in DC, NY, or boston as of this fall, so i really have no excuse to NOT go. so yes, it shall be my "coming out" event http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

dang, come to think of it, i should probably try to secure some kind of lodging for that weekend. doh.