Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: We need more fishing threads...

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      originR
      06-15-2009 01:10 PM #1
      Only about 7 fishing threads since 2004 that have pictures. SO, I'll start a new one and update some pics occasionally.

I used to fish alot when I was a kid, I remember riding my bike, carrying a pole with me to far off (more than 2 miles, hey, I was a kid) ponds. Most of these ponds, the good ones anyway, were private, we would get chased out all the time, it was almost as much fun running from the cemetery groundskeepers than it was catching the bass and catfish from the cemetery pond.

Another one of the lakes that I used to sneak into was a sand and gravel pit, that water was so clean, we swam in it and fished in it and I swear you could drink it. It was a spring-fed gravel pit with the best fishing of my life, and I believe that to this day I have never had so much fun catching a variety of big bass, catfish, bluegills galore (you didn't even need bait!) and crappie. Next door to the gravel pi was a smaller pond that the owner had dug years ago, it is about the size of a football field, maybe about 150 yards long. It is much smaller than the gravel pit, but the fishing was just as good and the water was just as clear.

Both of these places were ponds that we had to sneak in, but this weekend I talked to the owner of the small pond, and he gave me permission to go back there and fish all I want, I can even bring a boat, I just need to pick up any trash that I see and don't leave a mess myself, which is fine for me because I always make sure I don't leave any trash anyway.

So for the first time in my life, I got to fish in the pond, with permission, that I have wanted to fish for over 20 years, and it was awesome! My brother caught a bunch of nice bluegill, and he doesn't even fish. I was using a 7" Berkley Powerworm, texas rigged, and caught about 7 or 8 bass, all of them were 12 - 14". I was told that some of the neighborhood kids, who also have permission, have been pulkling 8 pounders out of there! It was fun just letting the little jon boat drift with he wind, flipping the worm into the stumps, overhangs, weed beds, etc.. the fish did not strike, they bit and held, so it was a little hard to set the hook, the only time I knew I had a fish was when I was retrieving the line.

I plan on going back a lot, at least 3 or 4 times a month for now on, and soon I know I will sneak over to the gravel pit where I think the really big guys are.

Modified by gintaras at 12:12 PM 6-15-2009

06-15-2009 01:24 PM #2
      man I wish I had some pics on my work machine.

I went out yesterday. Hit up two lakes. All I caught was a buzz.

I hate getting skunked.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI 6MT
      06-15-2009 06:19 PM #3
      Gintras,

If you ever need someone to tag along on the fishing adventures let me know. I am always looking for someone to go with and not to far from yourself.

Josh

Vehicles
      originR
      06-16-2009 10:50 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by doublej584j »
      Gintras,

If you ever need someone to tag along on the fishing adventures let me know. I am always looking for someone to go with and not to far from yourself.

Josh

sounds good..

I am going to the local pond with a friend this friday, and then straight home to clean them and have a friday night fish cook Largemouth bass and bream on the menu

Vehicles
      '07 Jeep
      06-16-2009 05:57 PM #5
      I fish a couple times a week...I never take any pictures or keep any fish.

It's nice just to get out on water with a beer and pack of camels and relax.

I mostly just throw a worm/bobber combo over the side. If I head up to the in-laws cabin we troll around with inflated crawlers on a lindy rig and slay the walleyes.

This is the only pic I have. My wife and her first small mouth. This was on the St Croix River in North Hudson, WI. My dog loves fishing. She'll watch the bobber and when it goes under she starts making dog noises...too funny.

Modified by mode12 at 10:10 PM 6-16-2009

Vehicles
      originR
      06-16-2009 09:52 PM #6
      I would love to catch some Walleyes, never been Walleye fishin before..

I went out tonight, in the rain..

If you look REEEAL close, you can see the tail of another fish in the throat of this one.. This fish also had fishing line coming out of it's, er.. anus.. I wanted to keep it and eat it, but whan I put it on the stringer, along with another smaller one, I dropped the stringer and watched it swim away
      Oh well, the fish will live another day so I can catch them again

Vehicles
      originR
      06-21-2009 01:52 PM #7
      from lake..

To kitchen...

To grill...

To plate ...

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic (W204)
      06-21-2009 04:21 PM #8
      I heard large mouth bass are not the best fish to eat

Vehicles
      originR
      06-21-2009 08:10 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by 2002 »

Some people like it, but I was not impressed.. I used too much Old Bay on it, and it is probably better just grilled in butter and pepper.... If I ever eat one again I am going to pan fry it like I do bluegill.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DBM
      11-03-2009 08:57 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by 2002 »

A long time ago I met an old woman who had a sizable Bass pond on her
      property. She had a big, oval, galvanized tub in back of the house close to
      the pond. When she wanted some Bass to eat, she would fill the tub with
      fresh tap water, let it sit a few hours, then go fishing and put her catch
      (still alive) in the tub. She would let them swim around in the tub for about
      24 hours, then clean & cook them.

She said it took the muddy taste out of the fish flesh.

--Chuck--

11. 06-22-2009 01:04 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by gintaras »
      Only about 7 fishing threads since 2004 that have pictures. SO, I'll start a new one and update some pics occasionally

We need a fishing forum!!!@!11!oneoneuno!!

Sorry, just got sidetracked into Suggestions for a moment.

We've had rain for somewhere nigh 40 days and 40 nights, with even more expected. Every stream is blown out, and thick brown I haven't even bothered to go out... Its kind of a depressing end to my best trout season in years.

Still, it was a good year so far. I spend every lunch hour I can on the stream, plus I usually get one full day a week and one evening a week from the kids, which is nice for me.

Had a great fly tying class all last winter, taking it a second time through spring and summer to get better. I've gone from not being able to tie jack to effectively tying everything I needed this year, too.

Oh well, hopefully once monsoon season ends, I'll get another week or two before oppresive July and August heat kills it for good.

At least I've got a week of surf casting the Jersey Shore at the end of August (was a bust last year, but I'm giving it a second go), plus I've chartered a boat and captain to take me fly fishing the estuaries and bays (hope this rain doesnt' ruin that, either) for snapping blues and schoolie stripers.

Maybe steelhead and browns on the Salmon River, too.

12. 06-22-2009 02:54 PM #12
      Got out fishing on Friday. Buffalo Bay, Lake of the Woods, Manitoba, Canada.

I went out with my parents, primarily looking to catch Walleye. We had to throw four back (two small Walleye, a perch and a pike), and managed to come home with 12 total after about 4 or 5 hours out there.

We were drifting and using spinners with worms or leeches. I started out with a hammered brass spinner, but it had a dull hook and I wasn't able to set the hook with it. I switched to a red/white spinner with a better hook and was finally able to get them on the line. We were fishing in anywhere from 6-12 foot water and I was having limited luck while the hook was near the bottom of the lake, so I started to work the hook a little bit more.

I was letting it fall about 2 or 3 feet at a time, and then slowly reeling back up to where I could see the bait. For about 45 minutes I couldn't get the hook anywhere close to the bottom without getting a fish pulling on the bait. I got my bait robbed quite a bit, but managed to pull in 3 over a fairly short time period. When I told my parents that I kept getting bites at about 4 or 5 feet down, my mom adjusted her line and then pulled a nice 22" walleye. About 10 minutes later I snagged a 20.5" walleye doing the same thing.

All in all, a very good evening fishing.

06-22-2009 05:17 PM #13
      got out the other night to scugog. It was nothing special i got a decent amount of walleye. I was using a 7 ft Shimano Izumi signature series rod, my broke Shimano Sedona and some 6lb Trilene. I was just casting out a 3" (maybe) white berkley gulp minnow. I was fishing a river and most people stand on the bridge (water below them) and catch nothing, i stood on the ground and kept my rod tip low and just kept on pulling fish out. I figure the people on the bridge cant keep their lure low enough to entice the fish into striking?

here's a cell phone picture of two i gave to a friend. I hate fish, i mean i absolutely hate eating them. However i do love fishing!

Vehicles
      originR
      06-22-2009 05:44 PM #14
      awesome! I want to catch some walleye, they are supposed to be really good eating

15. 06-22-2009 08:43 PM #15
      Mmm, just cooked some of mine up.

Here's the days catch:

Vehicles
      originR
      06-22-2009 10:49 PM #16
      are those walleye? I've never caught a walleye

17. 06-29-2009 09:51 PM #17
      Hmm Red River Walleye? Look a little light to be Lake Walleye aka Pickerel where Pacer lives. That big one *maybe should have been let go but it's not too big. Good eats.

18. 06-30-2009 08:07 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by Ferris Buehler »
      Hmm Red River Walleye? Look a little light to be Lake Walleye aka Pickerel where Pacer lives. That big one *maybe should have been let go but it's not too big. Good eats.

Lake of the Woods - Buffalo Bay

I ate one of the larger two and the meat was good on it. Once they get to a certain size, you are only allowed to keep one. Not sure what length that is, but we had 3 of us fishing, so we were safe, as only 2 would've been close to the limit.

Just looked it up:

Walleye (Pickerel) and Sauger (either or combined)
      - only one may exceed 55 cm

21.65 inches. One was 22 inches.

Modified by pacerhimself at 5:13 PM 6-30-2009

Vehicles
      20 AE GTI 0186
      06-30-2009 11:48 PM #19
      Went out on a charter the other night for striped bass. Out of 20 on board only one keeper. Taped in at 29 inches. Should be going surf fishing tomorrow or thursday. Maybe out for fluke saturday or sunday.

20. 07-05-2009 02:51 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by jettasin00 »
      Went out on a charter the other night for striped bass. Out of 20 on board only one keeper. Taped in at 29 inches. Should be going surf fishing tomorrow or thursday. Maybe out for fluke saturday or sunday.

What kind of charter? I hired Cape May Ray for the last week in August to go out and fish the estuaries.

I tried surf fishing last year, and didn't have much luck. I didn't realize that the goal is to cast 50' into the wash, not 250' into the trough... So this year, when I go back, I'll still lob bunker heads out the distance, but I'm planning on trying to fly fish the wash for fluke or maybe skates.

21. 06-22-2009 11:38 PM #21
      Yup, all walleyes.

Not a great picture. Maybe the next time I go out I'll get a better picture of some

22. 06-26-2009 05:47 AM #22
      I've been fishing my ass off this season...

Map of where i usually go (locally)
      Red is usually on a boat/canoe
      Green is off the shore/piers/docks..

In the canoe. (using 2oz carolina rig)

Good friends:

Last week:

Fried catfish (eggbath w/ franks, Cornmeal/flour) With home made honey mustard

Fish tacos (fried catfish, Home made flour tortillas, hungry dog)

Other then fishing, this is how we spend our weekends in MD:

Modified by stoicbmx at 5:52 AM 6-26-2009

Vehicles
      originR
      06-26-2009 09:05 AM #23
      is that salt water?

I have always wanted to live in the NorEast, I could see myself spending my life like a pier rat

24. 06-27-2009 10:53 PM #24
      is that salt water?

I have always wanted to live in the NorEast, I could see myself spending my life like a pier rat

nah, freshwater.. Elk river, Northeast river, and the Susquehanna river. its pretty much the north tip of the Chesapeake bay. I'll be heading down south to do some surf fishing pretty soon, Probably lower Delaware..

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI VR6
      07-01-2009 10:02 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by stoicbmx »
      nah, freshwater.. Elk river, Northeast river, and the Susquehanna river. its pretty much the north tip of the Chesapeake bay. I'll be heading down south to do some surf fishing pretty soon, Probably lower Delaware..

Hey bud - Next time you go crabbing, I've got a spot for you down in Cambridge off the little Choptank. It is consistent and there is hardly anyone there. Caught a bushel in under 2 hours on a rainy morning.

Vehicles
      MK4 Reflex Silver Jetta 1.8T
      07-29-2009 08:07 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by stoicbmx »
      I've been fishing my ass off this season...

Map of where i usually go (locally)
      Red is usually on a boat/canoe
      Green is off the shore/piers/docks..

what bait where you using? i bought some crap from berkly (tan nuggets in the yellow bag) for catfish and havent had 1 bite

But lately ive been using rage toad and 2 types of lizards to catch all my bass

Dub Shirts - Frame Notch , SLAM&POKE,Wheel Fitment , On the GRIND
      Even more Dub shirts - Take a LOOK!!!
      www.iDubber.com - "For the Enthusiast in You"
      Instagram:-------->@mk4jr (yep! Go ahead and follow that.)

Vehicles
      1984 GTI
      07-29-2009 08:59 PM #27
      Fishing Thread In The Ontario Forums

Pic of me from a couple years ago fishing some slop for largies:

06-26-2009 01:55 PM #28
      yeah those crab look really good. I was in maryland last weekend so i took advantage of the crab too.

I'm gonna head out tommorow for some Bass and Walleye. The place we usually go has been dying slowly so hopefully we can get into a few nice ones. Wish me luck.

Vehicles
      turbo 5cyl AWD 6 speed
      06-30-2009 10:11 AM #29
      Here's some fishing pics from various trips:

Ice fishing back in Jan/Feb of this year:

the big catch

Walleye from a few summers ago fresh out of Lake Erie and into my oven:

Monster sheephead that I caught on Lake Erie last summer. Those are 2L bottles for size reference.

Nice cat from Lake Erie:

I haven't been out yet this summer

Vehicles
      1990 Jeep Cherokee (Sold), 1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 (Sold), 1999 VW Golf (Current)
      07-01-2009 12:40 AM #30
      Went out yesterday and bought a new shimano ultra lite rod and an okuma reel. My first serious rod and reel setup and I love it. I can feel so much more and the reel is so smooth. Went trout fishing and caught one on my very first cast. Hopefully it'll be lucky for me.

Vehicles
      originR
      07-01-2009 03:02 PM #31
      went out yesterday to do some topwater bass fishing, I brought my dog.. BIG MISTAKE! She was jumping in the water and chasing after every cast! running as fast as she could and diving into the water, really thrashing about, running up and down along the bank trying to get at my bait. I switched to a bobber and caught some panfish and she would jump in the water after them and retrieve them by mouth!

I will never try to fish in company of my dog again, I wish i would have had a video camera because it was hilarious and she was having a great time. I have a Pit/American bulldog mix, and she usually stays away from water, but yesterday she was like a lab in the water.

Vehicles
      originR
      07-01-2009 04:51 PM #32
      Question
      what kind of line are you all using? I just respooled with Trilene 6lb mono and I swear every time I do a little test pull to see if the knot will hold, I end up breaking the knot. I am using an improved clinch. I am considering moving up to 8lb mono or even a braided line.

33. 07-01-2009 09:54 PM #33
      Question
      what kind of line are you all using? I just respooled with Trilene 6lb mono and I swear every time I do a little test pull to see if the knot will hold, I end up breaking the knot. I am using an improved clinch. I am considering moving up to 8lb mono or even a braided line.

I use Trilene XL on my spinning outfits and PowerPro Braid on my baitcasters.

I tie a Palomar with both the braid and mono.

The Palomar Knot

Modified by RUFASTR at 9:57 PM 7-1-2009

Vehicles
      1990 Jeep Cherokee (Sold), 1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 (Sold), 1999 VW Golf (Current)
      07-01-2009 05:53 PM #34
      your line might be bad... that shouldn't be happening

35. 07-01-2009 09:06 PM #35
      try fluorocarbon. I always had problems with. Trilene. What kind of fishing?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast