Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: We need more fishing threads...

1. 07-05-2009 02:51 AM #36
      Quote, originally posted by jettasin00 »
      Went out on a charter the other night for striped bass. Out of 20 on board only one keeper. Taped in at 29 inches. Should be going surf fishing tomorrow or thursday. Maybe out for fluke saturday or sunday.

What kind of charter? I hired Cape May Ray for the last week in August to go out and fish the estuaries.

I tried surf fishing last year, and didn't have much luck. I didn't realize that the goal is to cast 50' into the wash, not 250' into the trough... So this year, when I go back, I'll still lob bunker heads out the distance, but I'm planning on trying to fly fish the wash for fluke or maybe skates.

Vehicles
      20 AE GTI 0186
      07-05-2009 01:44 PM #37
      Quote, originally posted by 54-46 »

What kind of charter? I hired Cape May Ray for the last week in August to go out and fish the estuaries.

I tried surf fishing last year, and didn't have much luck. I didn't realize that the goal is to cast 50' into the wash, not 250' into the trough... So this year, when I go back, I'll still lob bunker heads out the distance, but I'm planning on trying to fly fish the wash for fluke or maybe skates.

We went out on the http://www.mistymornfishing.com/. Tonight Im gonna be doing some surf fishing. Either try for striper's again or going for fluke.

Vehicles
      originR
      07-05-2009 02:00 PM #38
      took home 47 bluegill this morning, will post pics later

07-07-2009 09:05 AM #39
      Here's a nice smallmouth I caught on a streamer a few weeks ago, approx 16in

5. 07-07-2009 12:26 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by jettasin00 »

We went out on the http://www.mistymornfishing.com/. Tonight Im gonna be doing some surf fishing. Either try for striper's again or going for fluke.

Ahh, a party boat... I've only done that once, and I don't remember it being too exciting, despite what they tell you.

This year, for our shore vacation, my father in law is pushing hard for a party boat. I told him I paid his way on my charter, but he's just not interested in it.

As for the surf, I've spent the last few days tying up saltwater flies... Tying up a 7" long Deceiver on a 4/0 hook is a far cry from the size 20 Adams dries I've been tying lately.

That and a couple days practicing my spinning cast.. I can send a 5oz pyramid sinker just shy of 100 yards now. Hopefully, I can get a bunker head that far after the sun sets and pick up a roving shark or two.

Any luck on the stripers? I know the monsters are up north now, but are you picking up schoolies in the surf?

07-07-2009 03:29 PM #41
      Here are few from two weekends ago...
      A big brook trout was chasing a rainbow that my friend had caught, he ended up netting them both (the rainbow was bigger and is in the second picture). The third is me with another brook that I caught at the same time as the other two.

EDIT: taken on foam hoppers

Modified by SivNiz at 1:08 PM 7-7-2009

7. 07-07-2009 04:21 PM #42
      My last catch, caught this whopper pike yesterday on a Rapala

I'm not much of a fisherman, I used to fish alot when I was younger but never really took it to the next level because I had nobody to teach me the ropes of being a "complete angler"

Anyway this week I bought myself a new pole, it's a Shakespeare Synergy supreme 8' stick with 4 bearing reel. Spooled it up with some Berkley Trilene XL "Smooth Casting" 12lbs line and I'm good to go. I live in Finland and we have some awesome lakes to fish in, about 170.000 to be more precise. We have some Bass but most of the time you'll catch Pike, Trout and even Salmon sometimes!

Some of my favourite spots:

This is a 10 minute walk from my house, it's a quiet and calm river that turns into a rapid, you can see the waterfall on the right, out of sight on the left are some lillies and waterplants that offer excellent protection for this big predators

This is more like a 10 minute drive from my house, it's a pretty known place in this area called "Vantaankoski". Again it's a river that turns into a rapid and than turns into a nice bassin where you can find all sorts of fish.

View from the other bank:

One day I'd like to catch a pike of this size

But for now I'll be happy with something like this

As I said before, I'm still a learner so any tips in general would be very much appreciated!

Vehicles
      originR
      07-07-2009 04:30 PM #43
      beautiful!

Vehicles
      20 AE GTI 0186
      07-10-2009 10:37 PM #44
      Heading out on a party boat in the morning for fluke. Hopefully Ill get my first catch of the year.

Vehicles
      20 AE GTI 0186
      07-11-2009 07:25 PM #45
      Couple shorty fluke today. My friend did take the pool with a 22 inch fluke.

Vehicles
      Half Million Mile 81 S, 03 WRX Wagon
      07-19-2009 01:39 AM #46
      A few more lately on the little fly

Vehicles
      originR
      07-19-2009 02:59 PM #47
      I tried to catch some walleye today... I failed.. I just don't know how to catch a walleye, and now it is my goal to do so.

13. 07-19-2009 10:13 PM #48
      It's not uncommon for walleye to get less aggressive during the mid-summer months. They tend to move to deeper water and don't hit as hard on bait.

14. 07-20-2009 09:28 PM #49

Spent the weekend with my sister and brother at their house in the Croton Watershed, 177 square miles of drainage with 12 resevoirs and miles of tailwater streams flowing from one into another.

The water is clean, alive with insects, and loaded with healthy fish, most of which end up in the resevoirs and then just migrate back up the streams... I don't think I've taken a rainbow or brown less than 12" this entire weekend, and several were 18" or larger.

To say nothing of the 3#+ largemouth that nailed, of all things, a size 16 green pennel wetfly in one of the nicest little trout pools I've seen.

Who'd have thought 50 miles north of New York I'd find such an awesome coldwater fishery.

Vehicles
      '07 Jeep
      07-20-2009 11:57 PM #50
      Quote, originally posted by pacerhimself »
      It's not uncommon for walleye to get less aggressive during the mid-summer months. They tend to move to deeper water and don't hit as hard on bait.

you have to be real patient while they take the bait. when you feel the twitch, count to 10, then set the hook.

Vehicles
      originR
      07-28-2009 09:16 PM #51
      hey folks.. no pics of live fish today, but we did manage 20 some crappie, about the same number of LM bass, one of which was 5 pounds and my cousin is having mounted (don't worry this lake is INFESTED with LM)

pulled these from the freezer form a few weeks ago.. we took home 50 in 2 hours !
      a nice plate of pan fried bluegill fillets coated in an egg wash and cornmeal/flour mixture and then dressed with melted butter and lemon.. quite possibly the best plate of fish I have ever eaten in my life..

Vehicles
      '07 Jeep
      07-29-2009 02:01 PM #52
      I spent the weekend up in Hayward, WI...Muskie central.

I didn't plan on catching any muskie, I just brought my $5 light action rod thinking one of the nieces/nephews would throw it in the lake.

Sunday morning I woke up and went right down to the dock to throw some worms at the panfish. I was reeling in a little blue gill when all of the sudden a muskie, at least 36" came out of nowhere and grabbed my little fish right at the end of the dock!

The fight was on, muskie went right to the middle of the lake. I've never seen my line come off the reel so fast. I thought for sure it was going to break. I fought the fish back in 3 times to the dock, it was a good 4 minutes of fight. The whole time I'm yelling for someone up in the cabin to run the landing net down to the dock. Nobody heard me. The 3rd time I had him at the dock, he finally spit the fish out...needless to say, the blue gill was goner, not much left of him.

I've heard 'fish stories' like this, always thinking they were just stories...nope, it happened to me!

Vehicles
      '04 .:R32
      07-29-2009 03:53 PM #53
      Quote, originally posted by 54-46 »

Spent the weekend with my sister and brother at their house in the Croton Watershed, 177 square miles of drainage with 12 resevoirs and miles of tailwater streams flowing from one into another.

Who'd have thought 50 miles north of New York I'd find such an awesome coldwater fishery.

Yup, this is where I fish. Your fishing in NYC's unfiltered drinking water if you can believe it. You need both a NYC watershed permit and NYS fishing license to do so legally. And the DEC cops are all other the place even on jetski's. But anglers can't even use an electric motor. Heck you even need a hang tag to park on the side of the road along the reservior. Good fishing though

19. 07-29-2009 04:48 PM #54
      Quote, originally posted by tjm0852 »

Yup, this is where I fish. Your fishing in NYC's unfiltered drinking water if you can believe it. You need both a NYC watershed permit and NYS fishing license to do so legally. And the DEC cops are all other the place even on jetski's. But anglers can't even use an electric motor. Heck you even need a hang tag to park on the side of the road along the reservior. Good fishing though

Yeah, I'm really surprised at how unspoilt it is, but I guess the NYC tourists don't wanna crap where they eat, and the locals like their wilderness.

He's got a boat on one of the resevoirs, don't remember which (Croton or Tinniticus, I think), but we spent the bulk of our time on the streams. While I apprechiate a good fight from something on the res bottom, I'd rather do it via flies than "trolling" bait.

Plus, I wasn't rowing.

Vehicles
      MK4 Reflex Silver Jetta 1.8T
      07-29-2009 08:07 PM #55
      Quote, originally posted by stoicbmx »
      I've been fishing my ass off this season...

Map of where i usually go (locally)
      Red is usually on a boat/canoe
      Green is off the shore/piers/docks..

what bait where you using? i bought some crap from berkly (tan nuggets in the yellow bag) for catfish and havent had 1 bite

But lately ive been using rage toad and 2 types of lizards to catch all my bass

Dub Shirts - Frame Notch , SLAM&POKE,Wheel Fitment , On the GRIND
      Even more Dub shirts - Take a LOOK!!!
      www.iDubber.com - "For the Enthusiast in You"
      Instagram:-------->@mk4jr (yep! Go ahead and follow that.)

Vehicles
      1984 GTI
      07-29-2009 08:59 PM #56
      Fishing Thread In The Ontario Forums

Pic of me from a couple years ago fishing some slop for largies:

Vehicles
      originR
      07-30-2009 12:03 AM #57
      sofa king awesome to see all the nice catfish and bass posted!

Here is my contribution, caught in a sand strip pit on a live minnow

23. 07-30-2009 03:24 PM #58

I've spent a couple lunch hours tying up flies for my summer's end surf odyessy, but a website I'm on has a stream side gathering for the trico hatch currently going, so I had to tie some of them.

I just found it amusing to go from 3/0 hooks to 20s:

That's a US gold dollar coin in there, for comparision:

A collection of salt water flies, and some tricos:

(Clockwise from top right, 3/0 Deceiver, #2 Merkin Crab, 3/0 Deceiver, 1/0 Clouser, 1/0 Clouser, center #20 Trico Spinners and #20 Al's Tricos)

Salt fly box, mostly complete. You can see the trikes down in the lower left. There's also some #2 bead chain buggers, and a collection of #6 Deceivers and Half-and-Halfs, so I can hopefully catch some croakers to use as bait for chunking out to sharks beyond the bar at night.

Need to add a few more #2 deceivers, and some half-and-halfs in the bigger hooks.

07-30-2009 03:30 PM #59
      All you east coast guys...

I'm heading to newport in two weeks, should i bring the fly rod?

25. 07-30-2009 03:59 PM #60
      Newport, RI?
      Newport, KY?
      Newport, FL?
      Newport, DE?
      Newport, ME?
      Newport News, VA?

There's alot of Newports, which one? Salt or fresh?

The stripers are still mostly up north, too warm down here for the big ones to come in.

Its getting late in the year for trout, but the rain has kept water levels up pretty high, at least in my back yard.

Vehicles
      07-31-2009 08:53 AM #61
      ive never been fly fishing in my life... im no help there

07-31-2009 10:51 AM #62
      Newport, RI. As far as salt or fresh I don't really care I'll fish whatever is hot at this time of year. I own a 5wt but I have access to some heavier rods if needed.

Vehicles
      1990 VRT Corrado, 1990 G60 Corrado, 1996 2.0 Golf, 2013 TDI Jetta Sportwagen, 1965 Chevelle.
      07-31-2009 11:46 AM #63
      Started my season off with a 25lb. Striper in Jamaica Bay. Anchored up right by the Marine Parkway bridge stantions and drifted bunker chunks on fish finders. For those who may not know Jamaica Bay is inbetween Brooklyn and Queens. Im out of Rockaway

Quote Originally Posted by SlammedGolfIII View Post
      If it makes a difference, I really do miss my g60 Love my VRT to death but I wish I had the g60 also.......Thinking about building another one for my fiance for next year
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      Your fiance should break up with you if you give her a G60. That's like giving her a cubic zirconia for a engagement ring...
      N.E.R.D.

29. 07-31-2009 12:05 PM #64

If there's shore access, why not give it a go.. If I expect to see schoolie stripers and snapper blues down here, the water should be colder and you're more likely to see bigger fish up there.

You need a reel with a decent disc drag that'll take the salt corriosion and hold 150yds of 30# backing. For the surf, I was told an intermediate sink tip (~1.5fps), and your leader can be as simple as straight mono (I'm doing 1.5' 50#, 2' 20#, 2' 15# and then 10# tippet to length). Deceivers and clousers, light colours for day and dark for night. The average forage fish is about 3-4" long, so tie accordingly.

You will absolutely need a stripping basket (make your own), and the ability to cast up 50-75' consistently (FWIW, this is way harder with a 10 than I'd previously expected, you tire fast vis-a-vis the usual 4wt).

07-31-2009 12:30 PM #65
      I have a lamson reel with a conical cork drag system, will this be OK?

31. 07-31-2009 12:39 PM #66

I know some of the Lamson reels are very well regarded, but I don't know which ones. If its sealed, though, the drag should hold up. The reel would need to be made by something corrosion resistant, check with the maker on that line to see if its advertised as salt friendly.

If you're planning on your light weight fresh water rod, realize the salt water will split and destroy the wood reel seat, and your guides if they're not chromed or corriosion resistant.

These are the reasons I decided against just taking my beater 6wt and playing, and instead invested in gear rated for this kind of abuse. I do regret making it a 10wt instead of an 8, but whatever, the price was right, coming in at ~$210 for rod and reel (love me some 50% sales!), plus another $70 for the line.

Vehicles
      Half Million Mile 81 S, 03 WRX Wagon
      08-08-2009 01:46 AM #67
      I got out the casting gear today. My wrist is kinda messed up so I need to take a break from the flyrod .I haven't used a bait caster and plastic worms in about 15 years. It was fun and very productive. On the fly I get 1 maybe 2 bass every 3rd trip or so. Today with 7" roboworms I nailed 6 and lost 3.

33. 08-09-2009 12:13 PM #68
      I went in to buy a spare spool and a WF10F line, I came out with a 6'9" 3wt Highland Mills cane rod on clearance price.

I've wanted to give bamboo a shot, but can't afford even a budget rod, and don't know enough to take a shot in the dark on ebay and then try to do a restore... So, it was too hard to pass up.

Feels awesome paired with my (also bargin priced, they gave it to me at store cost!) CFO 123 (the limited edition, click-pawl version) and a Cortland 444 Sylk DT3 line.

I'd wanted something lighter and shorter than my 8' Versitex 4wt, this'll definatly do it. Unfortunatly, I don't know when I'll get a chance to use it.

Vehicles
      20 AE GTI 0186
      08-16-2009 09:50 PM #69
      Went fluking yesterday afternoon. Boat had action all day. Lots of shorts though. Between my friend and I we had 11 shorts and 2 keepers. Went off the Sea Horse in the Atlantic Highlands

Vehicles
      08-20-2009 04:10 PM #70
      Going fishing in the mornibg with a couple guys from work... hopefully ill have some good pics to put up tomo. Caught 15 last week, a combo of bluegill, brim & specs all off crickets

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast