VWVortex

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: We need more fishing threads...

Vehicles
      Half Million Mile 81 S, 03 WRX Wagon
      08-21-2009 06:36 AM #71
      Getting bigger

Vehicles
      1990 VRT Corrado, 2013 TDI Jetta Sportwagen, 1992 Triple White Cabriolet, 2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins
      08-21-2009 09:34 AM #72
      Out again in Jamaica Bay the past 2 nights. Thursday got completely skunked between my girlfriend and I....not even a hit. Lastnight 1 nice coctail blue and a hefty sandshark.......The water is REALLY warm so that may be causing all this lazyness.......
      Quote Originally Posted by SlammedGolfIII View Post
      If it makes a difference, I really do miss my g60 Love my VRT to death but I wish I had the g60 also.......Thinking about building another one for my fiance for next year
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      Your fiance should break up with you if you give her a G60. That's like giving her a cubic zirconia for a engagement ring...
      N.E.R.D.

3. 08-24-2009 06:31 PM #73
      Well, its been a week of major fishing..Not too good a turn out, but I had alot of fun.

Still, I got my bearings and learned some stuff, I figure next year should be much more productive.

Got a great tip on Corson's Inlet, about 5 minutes by car from the house we stay at. Specifically, from the boat launch, to the left and then to the first grass tufts the locals call the "oyster bed." Best bet is to do that late at night, in darkness. Wish I knew that before the last night I was there.

Its also easy to fish the bridge lights from the launch dock, which I also figured out on the last night. Several herring were the prize for that.

As for surf fishing, zip. The bait shop guy said the fishing was terrible this year, and I believe him. Sum total there were a handful of snapper blues, and the latter few days the surf was crushing from the encroaching hurricanes.

As for my charter trip... I actaully felt bad for the captain, it was brutal. Almost nothing, from what I know about fishing this kind of water, I was in all good spots, but there was just nothing there. No one, including him, was able to bring in more than a couple of fish. We got lucky at the end, when the tide was rushing out under a bridge in the lights. A mess of 12-14" blues (I bet they'd be a blast on a real light rod), and a couple of stripers.... I'm amazed at what a fight even a 20" striper can put into a 10wt rod!

I'd like to head back out there in October when the water cools and the big stripers start to come in, but I don't think that'll be this year.

Nothing like having a callous on your hand from casting so damned much all week. After Monday's charter, it was just a blister, by the end of the week it was a full on callous... That's a vacation!

Oh well, I was mostly bested this year. Next year, though, its on.

4. 08-25-2009 12:37 AM #74
      Took my nephew fishing the other day:

Vehicles
      20 AE GTI 0186
      08-25-2009 05:43 AM #75
      Heading out for fluke in about 2 hours. Hopefully the keepers are hitting.

Vehicles
      98' Jetta GLS ->01' Jetta Wolfsburg -> 03' Jetta GLS -> 11' Jetta TDI
      08-25-2009 09:54 PM #76
      Got these at the Wildwood Reef last week.

The Bigger one weighed in at 6lbs...

My dad got that one

Turtles

Vehicles
      20 AE GTI 0186
      08-26-2009 02:26 AM #77
      Look like some nice keepers. I had 2 throwbacks on a 3/4 day trip. Everyone around me had a keeper. Ill be heading back out this weekend.

Vehicles
      08-26-2009 09:58 PM #78
      Quote, originally posted by jettasin00 »
      Look like some nice keepers. I had 2 throwbacks on a 3/4 day trip. Everyone around me had a keeper. Ill be heading back out this weekend.

Thanks. I got those on berkley gulp alive (chartreuse) with belly strips

Turtles

Vehicles
      1984 GTI
      08-31-2009 06:16 PM #79
      Bajaguy from 3 weeks ago (just got the pic yesterday):

Mine from yesterday's trip to the Kawarthas:

Vehicles
      1984 GTI
      09-08-2009 06:19 PM #80
      Was upin Georgian Bay yesterday, no fish but it was a beautiful day, the scenery was amazing and tons of good info on how to fish the area.

Some pics from the day:

Partner and guide

Me

Doctors

Trolling

11. 09-09-2009 09:31 AM #81

Caught the biggest damn trout of my life the other night on a black hackle, black silk body wet on the end of a 3wt cane rod.

Easily had to be over 25", hook-jawed brown. The worst part is I caught it at night, alone, with no one around.

There's no photographic proof, no one nearby to even remark on what a fish it was.

Damnit.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Toyota FJC Trail Teams, 2001 Mustang Bullitt
      09-09-2009 01:22 PM #82
      I just got into kayak fishing about a year ago...Made two trips out to Grand Isle, Louisiana, and caught about 30 speckled trout each trip(with two or three people each trip), the first trip I also caught about 2 dozen blue crab.
      Also had a group of dolphin swim right up next us, playing around. It was really neat.

Vehicles
      09-10-2009 08:00 AM #83
      Quote, originally posted by .:R4642 »
      I just got into kayak fishing about a year ago...Made two trips out to Grand Isle, Louisiana, and caught about 30 speckled trout each trip(with two or three people each trip), the first trip I also caught about 2 dozen blue crab.
      Also had a group of dolphin swim right up next us, playing around. It was really neat.

Good stuff! Kayak Fishing is great!

Here are some pics from last Friday. Top Water Striped Bass fishing with my two younger cousins. They each caught their first bass on plugs! Great Action on the poppers!

Turtles

Vehicles
      1990 VRT Corrado, 2013 TDI Jetta Sportwagen, 1992 Triple White Cabriolet, 2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins
      09-10-2009 02:19 PM #84
      Some nice lookin bass!!! Getting pumped up for the fall run soon here in NY
      If it makes a difference, I really do miss my g60 Love my VRT to death but I wish I had the g60 also.......Thinking about building another one for my fiance for next year
      Your fiance should break up with you if you give her a G60. That's like giving her a cubic zirconia for a engagement ring...
      N.E.R.D.

Vehicles
      originR
      09-10-2009 02:34 PM #85
      Jealous of all the great pics..
      I've Been working on a deck project for a few weeks (Planning, digging, etc..) will hopefully have it finished by SUnday because I really want to go fishing again!

Call me crazy, but I will be cooking some carp filets after they thaw, it was a 4 pounder from a few weeks ago from a clean strip pit.

Vehicles
      09-10-2009 03:54 PM #86
      Quote, originally posted by SlammedGolfIII »
      Some nice lookin bass!!! Getting pumped up for the fall run soon here in NY

Thanks! I hear they are getting shorts in NY already!! I'm definitely booking a charter off Montauk this year. Best time of year coming up for sure

Turtles

09-10-2009 05:39 PM #87
      You can eat carp?!?! I've heard that they hit hard and fight well but I didn't know you could eat those...I guess they look too much like a goldfish or those hated suckers.

I got some fishing in over the holiday, I'm not as hardcore about it as I used to be and I miss it. I caught a few crappie[mostly black though I caught one white], a tiny largemouth, and a decent sized pickerel. No largemouth bass big enough to brag about. I almost always catch and release, unless the crappie are big enough which these were not.

Here is one of the crappie I caught with my dog wondering what the hell to do with it. I caught some nice sized crappie out of the lake[small lake in NEPA] last year, this year they were all smaller.

Vehicles
      '07 Jeep
      09-10-2009 07:07 PM #88
      I was up at the in-laws cabin last weekend (Big Sandy in Mcgregor, MN)...we usually have no trouble pulling in loads of 'eyes for lunch/dinner, but they weren't biting this weekend.

We decided to move in towards the shoreline and throw some topwater baits. Every cast, every single one had a northern come out of the water and attack the bait. We must have landed over 45 northern in about 2 hours. Nothing of any size, mostly 18-24", but they were skinny. It didn't matter what time of day, those northerns were eating!

While lindy rigging for walleye, I thought I got snagged on a rock, so we trolled back over the line and I started pulling it up by hand...found a decent sized rock bass on the end. The only picture I took all weekend.

09-11-2009 08:49 AM #89
      caught 17 trout on monday here are two of them. My net measures 23" . My guess is that the rainbow weighed at least 4lbs, the thing was about 4" thick

Taken on a white cone head wolly bugger

taken on a mouse (look at the mouth)

Modified by SivNiz at 7:58 AM 9-11-2009

Vehicles
      originR
      09-11-2009 09:48 AM #90
      I have always envied those who live in CO

Awesome catches, I'm sure they made a nice meal, or will make a nice meal

Vehicles
      09-11-2009 01:09 PM #91
      My Cousin Gene with his 57.75lb. bass from Montauk caught on August 24th.!!!!!

edit: damn it wont let me link for some odd reason....well go to http://www.jackyee.com, "get pictures" in the list on the left hand side and then august 24th in the list. Cant miss it.

Modified by SlammedGolfIII at 1:14 PM 9-11-2009

N.E.R.D.

Vehicles
      originR
      09-11-2009 01:52 PM #92
      damn, what became of that bass? eat or release? or mount?

Vehicles
      09-11-2009 08:28 PM #93
      I believe that one was kept in the name of food. They actually threw back multiple 40+lb.ers in favor of that bad boy.......Thats the bass of a lifetime.....
      N.E.R.D.

Vehicles
      MK4 Reflex Silver Jetta 1.8T
      09-13-2009 03:54 PM #94
      Quote, originally posted by seoulstice »

nice looking crappie... ive been dying to catch one & eat one
      Dub Shirts - Frame Notch , SLAM&POKE,Wheel Fitment , On the GRIND
      Even more Dub shirts - Take a LOOK!!!
      www.iDubber.com - "For the Enthusiast in You"
      Instagram:-------->@mk4jr (yep! Go ahead and follow that.)

09-14-2009 08:53 AM #95
      got another nice trout on saturday, this time it was on a hare's ear

Modified by SivNiz at 6:54 AM 9-14-2009

Vehicles
      1984 GTI
      09-20-2009 08:44 AM #96

Vehicles
      originR
      09-20-2009 04:26 PM #97
      smallmouth? i have never caught a SM, lot's of LMB in these parts.
      nice

Vehicles
      1984 GTI
      09-20-2009 11:00 PM #98
      Quote, originally posted by gintaras »
      smallmouth? i have never caught a SM, lot's of LMB in these parts.
      nice

Yup

Lots of Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass in the area.

09-21-2009 03:54 PM #99
      Quote, originally posted by SivNiz »
      got another nice trout on saturday, this time it was on a hare's ear

Those are some nice trout Man!!

Here are 2 Silvers and a Pink that my uncle and I caught the other weekend on a local river in a period of about an hour. One on a Silver Spoon, the other 2 on a #4 Mepps.

I do a lot of multi-day hiking trips with my buddy, and I always take my pole. Do a lot of Alpine lake fishing. Here are some locations I've hit. Sometimes we get nothing, and sometimes we find some lakes that are overrun with large trout. Either way, its nice just being up in the middle of nowhere and making some casts.

30. 09-24-2009 07:59 PM #100
      Quote, originally posted by Surfing On A Rocket »

Those are some nice trout Man!!

Here are 2 Silvers and a Pink that my uncle and I caught the other weekend on a local river in a period of about an hour. One on a Silver Spoon, the other 2 on a #4 Mepps.

I do a lot of multi-day hiking trips with my buddy, and I always take my pole. Do a lot of Alpine lake fishing. Here are some locations I've hit. Sometimes we get nothing, and sometimes we find some lakes that are overrun with large trout. Either way, its nice just being up in the middle of nowhere and making some casts.

Are these pics from heaven?

Vehicles
      1984 GTI
      09-27-2009 10:26 AM #101

09-28-2009 12:12 AM #102
      Quote, originally posted by ABRA CADABRA »
      Are these pics from heaven?

Straight from the good ol PNW.

33. 09-29-2009 12:37 AM #103
      Went up to a small lake here in Northern Utah this weekend. My GF's dad gave me all kinds of crap when he heard that I had never caught a fish on a Jakes spin-a-lure. So he let me in on his favorite spot. I sent him this photo after I caught the first one of the day. On a Jake's!

the pic's not a good representation of the day though. the rest of the fish were much bigger , once we moved down the lake shore away from all the people it got much better. 15" - 17" Native Cut-throats all day long but we were too busy catching them to take pics.

Also here's a bonus pic of me at the GF's dad's back yard fly fishing pond.

Believe it or not, this is actually one of the smaller fish in the pond.

Vehicles
      originR
      09-29-2009 10:06 AM #104
      well, my freezer fish food supply has been exhausted.. and I heard that crappie are good fall-time biters so I bought some jigs last night (I usually use only minnows) and I hope to again stock my freezer with these tasty pan fry delicacies.. I have never caught a crappie on a jig before, so it will be new to me.. not sure if I'll cast it and jig it, or use it with a bobber, or maybe both

I bought Northland tube Slurpies (small fry)
      Green beetlespin
      and Lindy Fuzz-E grub..

I hope they work.

Vehicles
      MK4 Reflex Silver Jetta 1.8T
      09-30-2009 07:45 PM #105
      i dont think a bobber is going to work with a jig head, normally i believe jigs are mainly used for bottom fishing. Crappie feed looking up most of the time so minnows still might be your best chance... Good Luck anyway
      Dub Shirts - Frame Notch , SLAM&POKE,Wheel Fitment , On the GRIND
      Even more Dub shirts - Take a LOOK!!!
      www.iDubber.com - "For the Enthusiast in You"
      Instagram:-------->@mk4jr (yep! Go ahead and follow that.)

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast