Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jetta 2.5L 60,000 Mile Service - WTF?

1. 06-16-2009 10:59 AM #1
      So I know the 40,000 mile service includes a decent amount of stuff replaced for all Volkswagens, and I was under the assumption that the next "big one" was 60,000 miles. I called my local VW dealer and was quoted $567. I have a 20% off coupon () which brings that down to just over $450 which is nice, and I figured it would be worth it.

But then I looked at the maintenance manual which describes the 60,000 mile service. From what I gather all they really do is an engine oil & filter change, rotate the tires and replace the cabin air filter. Everything else is simply "check, check, check, top off, check, inspect, check"... blah blah. Sorry, but no. I'll change my own oil, rotate my own tires, and save the $450 for some yahoo to look all over my car and tell me everything is ok and not leaking (my garage floor is spotless).

Is anyone else surprised by this? Has anyone had the 60,000 mile service done and had more replaced? I thought they replaced the automatic transmission fluid, flushed the radiator fluid, etc - I guess I'm just wrong about this? I started thumbing through future service intervals and they never say to change the automatic transmission fluid. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance. I know service interval threads are repetitive but I couldn't find any related to the 60k service.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit 2dr UG
      06-16-2009 11:16 AM #2
      personally ive never once taken my car to the stealership for maintanance, and never had issues (knock on wood)

they are known as the "stealership" for a reason, if you have any common sense maintance can be done by the owner, correct me if im wrong but ive never seen a law that says the dealership MUST do maintance to maintain warranty. as long as you keep paper work and you VW authorized replacement parts/fluids your GTG

Like digging virtual holes in the ground? Come play in the Official Vortex Minecraft Server.
      XBL : northVdubbed
      Steam : Dubradio

3. 06-16-2009 11:20 AM #3
      I take it to fire stone, know the guy there that takes care of me.

40$ oil change, and they check everything for me anyway and top everything off.

Im not mechanically savy so for me its the best.

4. 06-16-2009 11:26 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by DubRadio »
      personally ive never once taken my car to the stealership for maintanance, and never had issues (knock on wood)

they are known as the "stealership" for a reason, if you have any common sense maintance can be done by the owner, correct me if im wrong but ive never seen a law that says the dealership MUST do maintance to maintain warranty. as long as you keep paper work and you VW authorized replacement parts/fluids your GTG

Well, and for me at least, since I'm about to be over 60k, warranty won't even be an issue anymore.

I just felt like I should be changing the automatic transmission fluid by now. I've always had manuals and this is my first automatic I've had for a long period of time. Are you supposed to change their fluid ever?

5. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      06-16-2009 11:40 AM #5
      why not ask them how there coming up with 600 dollars in charges? get a price break down

6. 06-16-2009 02:47 PM #6
      in the manual for our cars, the auto fluid is never mentioned as needing to be replaced (aka, lifetime fluid) however, i was once told that the auto passat had the same setup when introduced, which was later revised, and stated to be replaced at either 80k, or 100k, can't remember. Might end up the same for our cars. When i got the massive price for the 40k service, i went to the parts department, purchased spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, and went back home, and did it myself. I've let my dealerships do my oil changes and tire rotations, just to save me from getting under the car. Honestly, if we had a top-remove oil filter, i'd probably do the oil change myself, and just let them rotate the tires.

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      06-16-2009 02:50 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Djsupahfly »
      I take it to fire stone, know the guy there that takes care of me.

40$ oil change, and they check everything for me anyway and top everything off.

Im not mechanically savy so for me its the best.

That's fine as long as they're using VW 50X approved oil in the correct grade.

When I go in for service I make sure to tell them "no I don't want the x mile service, I want an oil change, replace the spark plugs, and replace the air filter. That way they can't pad the bill.

8. 06-16-2009 03:40 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by absoluteczech »
      why not ask them how there coming up with 600 dollars in charges? get a price break down

Just called them and confirmed my suspicions.

They actually "do" the following:

- Oil & Filter Change
      - Tire Rotation
      - Brake Fluid Flush
      - "Adjust" Headlights
      - Lubricate door hinges
      - Replace Cabin Air Filter
      - Add Fuel System Cleaner
      - "Inspect" Everything Else

Sorry, but I'm not paying just shy of $500 for this service. The only thing on that list I wouldn't do myself is the brake fluid flush, but I had that done a year ago so I don't need that now. Therefore I'm canceling my appointment and after about $100 in parts from ECS Tuning and I can do all of it myself easily.

9. 06-16-2009 03:57 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Bleser »

Just called them and confirmed my suspicions.

They actually "do" the following:

- Oil & Filter Change
      - Tire Rotation
      - Brake Fluid Flush
      - "Adjust" Headlights
      - Lubricate door hinges
      - Replace Cabin Air Filter
      - Add Fuel System Cleaner
      - "Inspect" Everything Else

Sorry, but I'm not paying just shy of $500 for this service. The only thing on that list I wouldn't do myself is the brake fluid flush, but I had that done a year ago so I don't need that now. Therefore I'm canceling my appointment and after about $100 in parts from ECS Tuning and I can do all of it myself easily.

Yup!...and with the $$$'s you save, I'd have the tranny serviced! VW has tried to slap "lifetime" on lots of parts and fluids..like fuel filters, power steering fluid, coolant etc...but you have to remember that they are in business to sell cars...and many of their customers are "3 'n out leasors"...who don't care if tranny craps out at 80K miles and 5 years...If you plan on keepin the car long term, the $100 or so it will cost to change tranny fluid and filter..is a good investment/insurance against major repair to tranny in future!
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

10. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      06-16-2009 04:13 PM #10
      just tell them what service you want done then like oil, etc

06-17-2009 01:28 PM #11
      Well done on research. I am beginning to learn that I am able to do most of these nickel and dime services myself. I will do the same as you and follow the manual and decide which ones I can do myself. Just recently saw that changing both air filters is relatively easy in hopes that I can get the engine cover off easily. Cabin filter sounds extremely easy to do. I just bought a jack and stands and will be dong my oil changes from here on out. My next research will be to find some DIY's for replacing the fuel pump, oil pump and anything else you peeps can recommend. I'm a little intimidated about the the DSG fluid though. I really need to try and do this myself though cuz the dealer charges about 250-300 for this.

12. 06-18-2009 05:14 PM #12
      Even the 6 speed Tip fluid change is a pain. Its "sealed"...gotta add fluid where you remove fluid from what I understand. Need a VAGCOM and some special stuff. The dealer will do it if you ask, but its not cheap. Its in the Bentley though....

I always just wonder, if they are made by Aisin like Toyota/Lexus 6 speed autos, why are their maintenance specs different?

13. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      10 Golf TDI, 09 Jetta Wolfsburg
      06-18-2009 06:40 PM #13
      On a 60K they should be replacing engine/cabin air filter, plugs(IIRC its a 60k item) engine oil-filter, tire rotation and brake fluid flush if required (every 24 mos, no mileage interval) its a fairly simple service.

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      06-18-2009 06:52 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by absoluteczech »
      just tell them what service you want done then like oil, etc

That's what I do.

15. 06-21-2009 11:08 PM #15
      plugs are done at 40k, and i believe again at 80k....i think 60k is essentially a "minor" service.

06-22-2009 12:45 PM #16
      According to my manual plugs are 60K service which is fairly easy from what I understand which I will be doing myself. More then likely the dealer would charge 3 hours for this service when in reality it would take not more then two if that. That's were the dealer makes all there money. They have a predetermined set of hours per various services and if the tech gets finished before that set amount of hours you still pay the set hours. It's a crock! What are you gonna do though. There are some services that I just can't do myself so a lot of us are stuck. Thanks to this site I can decide which ones I feel comfortable with and find a DIY. VWvortex rocks!

17. 06-22-2009 01:06 PM #17
      [QUOTE=rdjr74 I'm a little intimidated about the the DSG fluid though. I really need to try and do this myself though cuz the dealer charges about 250-300 for this.[/QUOTE] Don't be...there's some great DIY stuff on the DSG Forum..just search under DSG Fluid Change..you just need to make sure fluid is between 95-113 degrees F..just run for a few min after filling..particularly during the summer when if you let fluid sit in your garage its close to that temp by the time you pour it in!...
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

18. 06-22-2009 01:15 PM #18
      ...where people rant and rave about the cost of a service when they asked the wrong question.

Dealers will add their "suggested" services to the ones that are required by the manufacturer and some dealers are worse than others.

The only way, like other posters have said, is to ask for specific services. Asking for the XYZ mile service is like walking into an unknown eatery and asking for the "lunch special" - you may, or may not, like what you get.

This may be a good time to discuss some ridiculous add on charges.

Two of the ones that I found funny were listed as separate line items (with a price) following an oil change:

check oil level
      check oil filter for leaks

BTW - each was charged at 10 minutes labor.

That's like the lunch special where the add ons would be:

Cooking meal
      Placing meal on plate
      Giving plate to customer

Your local greasy spoon is missing out on lots of profit if they don't charge extra for those services...

19. n00b
      Vehicles
      2005.5 Jetta 2.5
      10-17-2011 10:17 AM #19
      I took my car to the local VW dealer for the 60K service interval. My quote was $245. The "big" service intervals are every 40K miles.

Vehicles
      MKVI GLI + Rabbit
      10-17-2011 12:43 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by rdjr74 View Post
      According to my manual plugs are 60K service which is fairly easy from what I understand which I will be doing myself. More then likely the dealer would charge 3 hours for this service when in reality it would take not more then two if that.
      if replacing your spark plugs takes even close to two hours either you've taken the time to drink a full beer between each plug, or you really have no idea what you're doing! plugs should take about 30 minutes if you've never done it before. if you know exactly what you're doing it should take 15 mins at most.
      2006 GLI / 2008 Rabbit - United Motorsports (used to be Flex Fuel)
      Quote Originally Posted by pete@blackforest View Post
      I remember when people modified their Volkswagen to enhance the driving experience. What ever happened to Fahrvergnugen?
      Bags are for kids that grew up watching Pimp My Ride. Turbo is for all of us that enjoy actual motorsport.

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta 2.5
      10-17-2011 01:20 PM #21
      For what it's worth.....I have a 2000 MKIV jetta with a 2.0 and automatic trans. I have never changed the trans fluid in that thing and it has 280,000+ miles...still runs strong. I have seen some guys change their tranny fluid suspecting they needed it and it only caused more problems. When VW says it's lifetime fluid...it's lifetime fluid.