Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: is the 2006 Jetta owners manual Fuse diagram wrong?

1. 06-18-2009 03:39 AM #1
      all 3 of my cigarette lighters stopped working, so i assumed it was a blown fuse. so i took the following steps:

1) I opened up the fuse box on the dash between the driver side door and dashboard.

2) looked up the fuse diagram in the owners manual

3) found 2 potential candidates - cigarette lighter fuse (25 amp) and power outlet fuse (20 amp)

but when i went to replace those fuses as labeled in the fuse diagram in the actual fuse box, those slots were empty! i tried putting them in anyhow, but no luck, cigarette lighter did not work. i even tried replacing every 20 amp fuse and 25 amp fuse and none resulted in cigarette lighter working.

so now i am very confused. has anyone noticed if the 2006 jetta owners manual is wrong in the mappings of fuses in the fuse diagram (pages 77-82)?

Vehicles
      Corellian Engineering Corporation CC-9600 Frigate
      06-18-2009 03:55 AM #2
      yes, it is a known issue in these cars that the fuse diagrams don't show all of the fuses and are often different from one production period to another.

for me, the 12v sockets also went kaputt, and it ended up being this fuse: (which btw, is not labeled in my manual)

Novel-sized responses™
      Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemütlichkeit!
      Schenkt ein, trinkt aus, schenkt ein, trinkt aus!

3. 06-18-2009 05:56 PM #3
      hi peachypotpies

thanks for the reply and the detailed photo!

my jetta must be from a different production run (it's a 06 TDI) since my fuses were different from your photo.

thru trial and error i did figure out which fuse was the 12v cigarette lighter. for anyone experiencing the same issue, the location on my jetta was

-4th row from top
      -8th column from the left (to the right)

4. 06-18-2009 05:57 PM #4
      1 more thing.

the 12v cigarette lighter is 20 amp. so worst case scenario, seek out the 20 amp fuses.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition
      11-18-2009 03:13 PM #5
      DO you know where to get an actual Diagram of My Exact car. Its a 2006 VW Jetta Value Edition

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition
      11-18-2009 04:01 PM #6
      After Trial And Error Did your airbag light stay on. cause thats what mine is doing i dont get it I want it to go away

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2008 b6 Passat 4-Motion
      11-19-2009 01:17 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by usmcjmt »
      DO you know where to get an actual Diagram of My Exact car. Its a 2006 VW Jetta Value Edition

The Bentley Publishing VW Repair manual should provide an accurate listing for your specific model and year. You will need the build date of your car (sticker on drivers door jamb), as fuse layouts have changed during the model year on occasion.

2102 Golf R, 2008 US b6 Passat 4-motion - sold 2006 US Mk V bmp GTI mt (230,000 miles/ 7 yrs)

8. 11-19-2009 01:25 AM #8
      I had the same thing happen: all 12v cigarette lighters went out. The fuse diagram in the manual was useless and all wrong. Didn't have any of the fuses right: there were all kinds of fuses present not in the manual and lots of spaces empty that the manual said should have had fuses. I found the blown fuse through trial and error by pulling out fuse by fuse and looking at them. I don't know how VW's manual could be so wrong, might as well have given a chimp on coke a sharpie and a blank fuse diagram sheet. Seriously, just don't include it in the manual if you can't even come close.

9. 08-26-2011 02:36 PM #9
      After the aggravation I went through trying to figure out why my cigarette lighters wouldn't work, I thought I'd share the solution and spare you the headache. The fuse manual for the Jetta is completely wrong. I don't know what happened there, but they screwed it up big time.

See where the finger is pointing? That is not the fuse for the cigarette lighter. In fact, the fuse isn't even shown in this picture. Do you see the royal navy 15 amp fuse? You need to insert (or replace) the 20 amp yellow fuse in the empty space right next to it. If that doesn't work, try one more further to the right.

If you've dropped a penny in your cigarette lighter like I did, it will short out. It will short out the cigarette lighter under the radio, in the console, and in the trunk. Best of luck.

10. 11-19-2011 04:40 PM #10
      Having same problem -- dropped a penny in the power outlet by gear shift in my 06 GLI. The two interior outlets do not work, but the trunk outlet DOES work. My fuse box is under the hood, not under the dash. I have visually inspected every fuse (no breaks) and swapped all fuses of the same amps from 10 to 40. No luck. Any other ideas?

Here's a pic of my fuse box... the tape is to label the radio fuse because it seems to be drawing power... so ignore it.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '06 Jetta 2.0T 6sp
      11-19-2011 05:44 PM #11
      ^Um.... you have an interior fuse panel. It's located on the drivers side portion of the dash. You have to open the door and take off the panel.

My audio build.
      Tires on the Interlagos, wheels not rims people, are 215/40.

Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      2.0T is basically 1/4 Bugatti Veyron Engine

12. 11-19-2011 06:32 PM #12
      Oh!! I was looking under the headlight nob!
      Thanks... will check there... I THOUGHT that wasn't enough fuses!

13. 11-19-2011 06:44 PM #13
      Thanks, A.D.!
      FYI, in my GLI it is a 25...the only 25 visible on your picture (I have another 25 right next to it to the right too).

Vehicles
      07/VW/Jetta
      03-26-2012 08:25 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by peachypotpies View Post
      yes, it is a known issue in these cars that the fuse diagrams don't show all of the fuses and are often different from one production period to another.

for me, the 12v sockets also went kaputt, and it ended up being this fuse: (which btw, is not labeled in my manual)

I have to thank you for the picture of your fuse box. I have not been able find a good picture of one yet. Now I have to find a picture of the one in the engine conpartment and what each on is.

15. n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t Sedan
      04-28-2012 07:42 PM #15
      I have a 2006 Passat 2.0t sedan that I have lost power to my power outlets (both front and back). I've physically pulled each fuse out of the fuse box and inspected them. None of them are burned out. I've even switch the 20's to see if I may have overlooked a bad fuse. Same results (no power). I then looked at the fuses under the hood and didn't find any fuses that looked bad their either. I'm somewhat at a loss as to where to look now. Any suggestions?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 GLI 6sp; 2009 Jetta 2.5 5sp; 1997 Jetta 2.0 5sp
      04-29-2012 11:41 AM #16
      Old thread, but worth adding to since the question always comes up.

As Tim Birney pointed out in another thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ocation...help, VW apparently changed the fuse locations not only from year to year, but within years too.

I've got a Bentley manual, and even that doesn't give the completely-accurate fuse locations for my model year. Pretty close, but not completely.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1998 gti vr6
      07-21-2012 10:05 PM #17
      can someone point out the cooling fan relay?

18. 04-21-2013 12:14 PM #18
      trying to pull an old thread out here , but whats the yellow 20 right next to the cigarette lighter 20 ?
      the sequence im talkin about is the 20 20 30 , whats the middle one for ??

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      04-21-2013 05:31 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by adamf4i View Post
      trying to pull an old thread out here , but whats the yellow 20 right next to the cigarette lighter 20 ?
      the sequence im talkin about is the 20 20 30 , whats the middle one for ??
      Your guess is as good as it gets.

My MKV Jetta (TDI) was built in April 2005 (1st Production Jetta MKV).
      Yet my Owners manual does not match up with the fuses that are installed.

So you have to go to trial, and error on the questionable fuses.
      Rain Closing Windows, goF raeR, Aspherical Mirrors, Remote Windows, Amber Club