Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 84 GTI engine swap

1. 06-19-2009 10:14 PM #1
      Had this car for about 2 years, body in great shape, engine... well it runs reliably, but would need some TLC to bring it back to it's full glory.

My dilemma was what to do... massage the old dog back to life and keep it original... or take a fantastic base and make it something more.

I went with making it more.

Base Car:
      1984 VW Mk1 Rabbit GTI Convertible - West German Manufacture
      1.8L 90hp w/5sp manual trans

Modified by rstolz at 7:32 PM 6-19-2009

2. 06-19-2009 10:22 PM #2
      id say unless you plan on restoring it to stock, throw something kickass in there

3. 06-19-2009 10:39 PM #3
      Which is what I did:

After a couple months of research and a couple more convincing the wife that it was a perfectly reasonable option

Here's what I found:

1.8T 225 hp AMU engine from a 2001 audiTT quattro w / 6sp manual trans.

All looked perfect and sweet ...

Until the first dry fit... Couldn't get the dam trans to fit

After more research, and a contact working within Audi/VW, that thing just isn't gonna fit. Bummer, there goes my 6sp

4. 06-19-2009 10:49 PM #4
      So we pulled the tranny... pain in the rectum, spent an hour trying to pull the thing only to find out we missed a bolt

Second dry fit w/out trans:

beautiful.

more research has turned up that I can fit a VR6 5sp tranny... parts are ordered. Unfortunately new CV's, shafts and hubs are needed, which means the very cool 4-bolt VW alloys have to go and be replaced by 5-bolt wheels

5. Member
      Vehicles
      76 Rabbit 1.8t, 04 New Beetle 1.8t
      06-20-2009 07:01 AM #5
      Shouldn't the trans fit buy trimming some of the inner fender well?

Vehicles
      03 Cooper S, 13 Plug In Prius, 11 RAV4
      06-20-2009 08:56 AM #6
      cabby gti?

would a g60 or passat 16v o2a trans fit?

................................................www.PRIDECOLLISION.com

Vehicles
      GTi 1.8T, Ford SD 6.0L, Honda NC700, Honda NT650
      06-20-2009 09:38 AM #7
      Yeah, you should be looking for a 4cyl O2a (I think mines from a Corrado G60...) I don't think the VR6 02(x) ones bolt up to the 1.8t. Also any 4cyl O2j should work as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by sandrunner View Post
      Every time I paint a motorcycle, I take it out in the grass and gently set it down on its side after reassembly but prior to the first ride. It breaks the magnetic attraction between fresh paint and the ground.

8. 06-21-2009 02:46 AM #8
      We're all talking about the same trans... see link - 02A trans is the one I have, same as used on G60 and vr6 Jetta III models.

http://www.zelek.com/diagram_c...t.htm

9. 06-21-2009 03:25 AM #9
      It may have been possible, but there would have been extensive modifications needed, and i blew a lot of my budget on the engine.

So to keep things simpler, I went with the 5sp tranny.

From what I understand:

Even if it did fit, or I made it fit (like pushing a square into a circle opening... we'll make it fit!)

The 6sp quattro trans would either have needed internal mods to make it run as a FWD, or I would have needed to set the car up as an AWD (very cool idea, I just don't have the $$$ for it).

10. 06-23-2009 07:10 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by macosxuser »
      Yeah, you should be looking for a 4cyl O2a (I think mines from a Corrado G60...) I don't think the VR6 02(x) ones bolt up to the 1.8t. Also any 4cyl O2j should work as well.

My apologies, You were right on that account. The bolt pattern is different

The guy who gave me the information about the VR6 got a stern (something like this ) phone call.

Also Looking into boring the new hubs to fit a 4-lug setup so i can run the wheels I have now... I know about potential torque issues if I decided to drag race (snap), but beyond that is there anything else I might watch for?

Vehicles
      83 GTI, 03 GOLF
      06-23-2009 07:32 PM #11
      no such thing as a cabby gti..

good luck with the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by g60vw View Post
      If I thought like that I would have gotten out of mk1's back when they were still A1's
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      screw all of you & your stupid cars.........see you at madness!
      I'm a 1%er

12. 06-23-2009 10:33 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by -teknien- »
      no such thing as a cabby gti...

exactly my thoughts

Vehicles
      bunch of old german junk
      06-23-2009 11:20 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by rstolz »

Also Looking into boring the new hubs to fit a 4-lug setup so i can run the wheels I have now... I know about potential torque issues if I decided to drag race (snap), but beyond that is there anything else I might watch for?

there is absolutely no reason why you need to go 5 lug to run an 02a. i suggest you stop listening to whoever is telling you what you need to do to put this car together. you could run a damn 020 with that motor if you wanted to (although i wouldn't reccomend it). a vr6 02a (corrado slc or mk3 vr6) and a 4 cyl 02a (from either corrado g60 or b3 passat 16v) have different bellhousings. you do not need/want a trans from a vr6.

you will have no problems with torqu and 4 lug hubs. you would need MASSIVE power and drag slicks before you started breaking lugs off.

this / is / where / your / sweet / mods / go