VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brochure Archive - Mercedes Benz, 1971

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      06-20-2009 08:05 AM #1
      This is what you might call a "classy" brochure. I always have, anyway. Mercedes Benz was a far different carmaker 40 years ago than it is today, and after reading this brochure you may possibly agree with my assessment. Take a trip back to a time when German automobiles stood for something a bit more than just "cars". They set a standard, and what's more, they honored their own standards, year after year. That's what took them to the top of the heap. I think they may have forgotten what got them there in recent years, though.

There is a nice little treat for Mercedes Benz afficianados in the last pages. Seldom seen, much appreciated.

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      06-20-2009 08:14 AM #2
      You did that just to tease, me didn't ya ?

I really, REALLY want a W108 3.5L 280SE!

The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      Corrado, 964, TDi
      06-20-2009 08:43 AM #3
      Thank you for this!
      Do you have any W115 brochures?
      Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
      djk

06-20-2009 09:09 AM #4
      I love every car from that line up except for the Sl (like I've said before). Mercedes styling of the sixties really did it for me.
      Old Norway - parked classic cars in Norway

Vehicles
      1996 Saab 9000 CSE
      06-20-2009 10:55 AM #5
      I love that 600.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      06-20-2009 11:45 AM #6
      I like how Mercedes refers to them as "motor cars" as opposed to "cars". In Newport Beach, Fletcher Jones Motor Cars MB commercials still go for that upper crust air -- so pretentious.

2,900RPM at 60MPH with the 4.5L V-8 doesn't sound too leisurely to me. IIRC, the 3rd gear on the 3sp had a 1:1 ratio -- no overdrive.

:gift:

Vehicles
      Toaster, R50
      06-20-2009 11:59 AM #7
      Awesome way to start a day, thank you for that!! I've always admired this generation of MB "motor cars", but I never knew how much tech. was in them! Thanks again Larry

Vehicles
      2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
      06-20-2009 12:53 PM #8
      I love the line on the 280 brochure; all luxury cars appear to be comfortable during a short test drive. Our 280SE feels comfortable after an all-day drive.

A lot of cars sold today still haven't figured this one out

Had to laugh at the "lack off" features list they give.... We don't have vanity mirrors!!! I guess their owners weren't vein.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      06-21-2009 10:33 AM #9
      It's difficult to adequately explain just how much Mercedes Benz automobiles were "a world apart" from all other maker's machines 3 decades ago. Now they're just another anonymous "luxury" car in a nondescript herd of "luxury" cars. But, look at these cars in this catalog, and try to compare them with anyone else's expensive, top-line cars of that time. You just can't compare them. This is what made Mercedes Benz the gold-standard of automobiles...they stood apart from the crowd visually, technically, and dynamically. The company marched to its own beat, and the public gradually recognized this as a real virtue. It made the other carmakers look rather lame and "me-too" in nature. Mercedes Benz had to capitulate in the early 1990s, and adopt the same contemptible me-too-ism in their philosophy as everyone else, though, in order to not be overwhelmed by the Asian competition that had buyers turning away from "stuffy" old Mercedes Benz automobiles by droves. Twenty years later, the conversion is pretty much complete. Mercedes Benz cars are no longer standouts in any way, other than in their somewhat pathetic attempts to differentiate themselves from the competition by stuffing ridiculously high-powered, fuel-slurping powertrains into their largely lookalike cars. This strategy works for awhile, but eventually it reaches its upper limits, and then, where do they go from there? It's sad to see a carmaker that, for 100 years, stood for the concept of "quality built-in", turn into just another carmaker that goes with the more cynical "quality added-on" way of building its products, but that's what has happened to the three-pointed-star cars.

Modified by vwlarry at 9:35 AM 6-21-2009
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

Vehicles
      Jetta Coupe (1989) GTI (1988) Audi Cabrio (1992)
      06-21-2009 10:38 AM #10
      do you have type 43 Audi brochures you could scan?
      Welcome to the internet:
      Where men are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI agents.

Member of VOLKSFORUM.COM
      "I like my women like i like my coffee,.... plastic cup"-Eddie Izzard.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      06-21-2009 10:52 AM #11
      Need Audi-to-English translation of "type 43", bitte. Danke Schoen in advance, btw.

12. 06-21-2009 10:55 AM #12
      Even as a kid & passenger in the 280 SEL and 300 SEL 6.3, I was amazed at the refinement in those machines back then and their bank vault feel. Since I haven't been in any of the current Caddies I still wonder if America has ever built anything that tight yet? All I know is I was disappointed with the feel of a G37 AWD sedan I drove this year.

Vehicles
      06-21-2009 10:59 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by vwlarry »
      Need Audi-to-English translation of "type 43", bitte. Danke Schoen in advance, btw.
      late 70's early 80's (mine is an 81 and one of the last) Audi 100 and 200 i think that's the 5000 in the US
      Welcome to the internet:

Member of VOLKSFORUM.COM

Vehicles
      2012 Genesis Sedan
      06-21-2009 11:03 AM #14
      I will take one 280 SE please.

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      06-21-2009 11:12 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by DUTCHMANia »
      late 70's early 80's (mine is an 81 and one of the last) Audi 100 and 200 i think that's the 5000 in the US

I think this is what you're seeking: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4440865

I have others, quite a few actually, but unfortunately they're of a much larger format than my scanner can handle. 'Shame really.

Vehicles
      06-21-2009 11:14 AM #16
      that's it!!! thanks.. i must have missed that thread
      Welcome to the internet:

Member of VOLKSFORUM.COM

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      06-21-2009 11:18 AM #17
      I know you did, because you're already mentioned in it!

Vehicles
      98 B5 AEB
      06-21-2009 11:28 AM #18

I think this is what you're seeking: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4440865

I have others, quite a few actually, but unfortunately they're of a much larger format than my scanner can handle. 'Shame really.

Lets start a collection to get Larry a bigger scanner!

Thanks Larry, I don't know much on old Benzes, and thats no way to go through life.

Vehicles
      2014 Golf TDI wagon, 2003 Passat 1.8T
      06-21-2009 12:59 PM #19

I have the exact same problem. I've got some really nice brochures that are just way too big for my scanner. My BMW 850i brochure, for one, is just massive.

Vehicles
      2000 Civic D16Y7
      06-21-2009 01:24 PM #20
      If a W114/115 brochure is available in a scannable format, please post it. Keep these coming, and thank you!

21. Banned
      06-21-2009 01:30 PM #21
      I used to love MB, sad what happened to their cars.

22. 06-21-2009 01:42 PM #22
      Mercedes Benz had to capitulate in the early 1990s, and adopt the same contemptible me-too-ism in their philosophy as everyone else, though, in order to not be overwhelmed by the Asian competition that had buyers turning away from "stuffy" old Mercedes Benz automobiles by droves.

I would argue that M-B had become complacent and stagnant. The Japanese luxo brands (and Lexus in particular) showed people that you could have a luxury car without electrical gremlins, reliability issues, or breath taking parts and labour costs.

Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

23. 06-21-2009 02:55 PM #23

The root of evil:

Shareholder value over stakeholder value, greedy managers and cost-cutting over satisfied customers and sophistication

happend to A LOT of companies

oh, and I can tell you the exact time when it happend to Mercedes:

when Jürgen Schrempp became CEO in 1995 ( also responsible for the horrible Daimlerchrysler "merger", so he could adjust his salary to american standards and cash the bonus, which was based on what the companies were worth BEFORE the merger. He has a long history of fireing ten thousands of workers, "cost cutting" but raising his own salary, not paying taxes etc.)

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      06-22-2009 09:33 AM #24
      I'm very sorry about this mess with these threads. My photobucket account has been open for several years now, with no problems at all, and I received NO WARNING that I was about to commit such a violation that they would expunge EVERYTHING in my account because of it. I'm so angry now I'm spitting .38 caliber rounds.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-26-2009 05:52 PM #25
      Resurrection time for my archive threads, since Photobucket decided to commute my sentence, and my images are available once again. Cool beans and all that.

Vehicles
      2000 Civic D16Y7
      07-26-2009 06:16 PM #26
      Take a trip back to a time when German automobiles stood for something a bit more than just "cars". They set a standard, and what's more, they honored their own standards, year after year. That's what took them to the top of the heap. I think they may have forgotten what got them there in recent years, though.

It's useful to keep in mind that buyers' expectations have changed as well. Back then, Benz didn't have many imported luxury cars that could even claim to compete with the company, whereas now, Benz is one of many. The world changed around them, you could say. These days, with everyone living on imagined wealth, getting a high end automobile is not uncommon, and with other manufacturers making sales based on the number of horsepower and gadgets, what is a company like Daimler Benz to do? I don't think they've compromised their standards, per se; I think they're doing what they must to remain competitive. When people view an ES 350 on the same level as a C300, there's only so much adherence to your own standards you can pursue.

Despite all that, they're still doing their part to maintain their reputation for excellence. Right now, for instance, I don't think any manufacturer has a car that can compete with an ABC equipped S-class.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-26-2009 06:58 PM #27
      You're very correct in your assessment, except you omit one other factor at work in the changes that have taken place in the past several decades. We are a society and culture that has compromised its standards in certain, very difficult to quantify ways. So, in a way, we have met the carmakers halfway. As Mies van der Rohe so famously said about architecture, "Less is more". It applies to the concept of other things, too. The more "luxury" our culture is showered with, the less it appreciates the true meaning of it. Mercedes Benz for a long time enjoyed a near monopoly on its style of perfectionism as applied to the automobile, it's true. Therefore, it is perhaps valid to ask the question; why did they not compromise then, when they didn't have to maintain such high standards? The only answer is that they were competing, instead of with outside forces, instead with themselves. This concept is what lifted the German automobile industry to such celebration and esteem all over the world for so long, and it is what is almost gone from the scene now. Everybody builds "perfect" cars now, so where is the distinction anymore? I know I'm a fuddy-duddy about this, but it was simply more impressive to witness the stand-apart excellence of a company like Mercedes Benz that is represented in this brochure than it is to slog through the constant wonderfulness of every car that pulls up to a stoplight today. Does that make me a "quality snob"? Perhaps, but I make no apologies. Automobiles today are so universally perfect that they're boring because of it.

Vehicles
      2000 Civic D16Y7
      07-26-2009 07:20 PM #28
      We are a society and culture that has compromised its standards in certain, very difficult to quantify ways. So, in a way, we have met the carmakers halfway. As Mies van der Rohe so famously said about architecture, "Less is more". It applies to the concept of other things, too. The more "luxury" our culture is showered with, the less it appreciates the true meaning of it.

Everybody builds "perfect" cars now, so where is the distinction anymore? I know I'm a fuddy-duddy about this, but it was simply more impressive to witness the stand-apart excellence of a company like Mercedes Benz that is represented in this brochure than it is to slog through the constant wonderfulness of every car that pulls up to a stoplight today. Does that make me a "quality snob"? Perhaps, but I make no apologies. Automobiles today are so universally perfect that they're boring because of it.

It's true and it does indeed apply to everything. Every house now has to have a great room and lavish bathroom; every salad has to have goat cheese and candied pecans, every guy on TV is insanely built; every woman on TV is very attractive; every car company has to have a compact RWD sedan, etc. etc. etc. It IS boring, but it's also scary. I'm only 26, and while I can't remember the three-on-the-tree days, it really does seem like I'm living in a world where this privileged lifestyle is nearing its expiration; like we're on borrowed time. This sort of discussion is beyond the purview of TCL, but it's worth touching upon. Cars and other consumer goods are indicative of a society's aspirations and values.

It's just funny for me to think of the days in which a 190E was worth a second glance and now I see E350s all over the place, next to 178" long, 2.5 liter "economy" cars that make it to 60 in less than 8 seconds. True luxury isn't, and shouldn't be, so obvious or accessible.

Vehicles
      8 Rings / TDI
      07-26-2009 07:25 PM #29
      Wow! Thank you for the scans- I love the 600 cover "The ultimate motor car"
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      China's main industries are spitting, noisy soup eating, and blatant copyright infringement.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Diesel Jetta, mk1 jetta (gas)
      07-27-2009 12:49 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by Lwize »
      I like how Mercedes refers to them as "motor cars" as opposed to "cars". In Newport Beach, Fletcher Jones Motor Cars MB commercials still go for that upper crust air -- so pretentious.

2,900RPM at 60MPH with the 4.5L V-8 doesn't sound too leisurely to me. IIRC, the 3rd gear on the 3sp had a 1:1 ratio -- no overdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      My manager was concerned, he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch... because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely screws up the way I walk.

31. 07-27-2009 01:15 PM #31
      stuffing ridiculously high-powered, fuel-slurping powertrains into their largely lookalike cars

I dunno about that assertion. For the most part, the Japanese are the ones that started the crazy and ridiculous horsepower race of the past 7-10 years. The Germans had no choice but to respond in a similar manner, lest they get left behind for making "underpowered" vehicles. As for fuel-slurping, I'll have to disagree there, at least on the 3.0L V6. In my SLK300 I consistently get 20% better mileage than the EPA rating and I can get as high as 32mpg highway.

32. 07-27-2009 01:20 PM #32

Thank you so very much Larry! This is like an early christmas present

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      07-27-2009 01:27 PM #33
      I remember grabbing a W220 Brochure and it oozed class still.
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      I do believe I've won TCL.
      I quote myself.

335- 12.2@115

34. 07-27-2009 01:40 PM #34
      It's sad to see a carmaker that, for 100 years, stood for the concept of "quality built-in", turn into just another carmaker that goes with the more cynical "quality added-on" way of building its products, but that's what has happened to the three-pointed-star cars.

I blame the consumer, Mercedes had to adapt. In this ADD ridden society do you really think there would be enough buyers out for a high quality economy car at current Benz prices? Or enough people that would even read through those brochures and understand them? You are correct in your assertion that automobiles have reached a state of perfection, but that is only spec sheet deep. Automobiles no longer satisfy the way they used to, and once one gets used to the newest gizmo it becomes all but invisible.

35. 10-29-2011 02:03 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
      Quote, originally posted by Lwize »

Bazooka, do you have more pictures of the red car or a link toa source?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast