Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Another wiper motor failure due to aftermarket HIDs

1. 10-25-2009 07:26 PM #106
      Quote, originally posted by Gryphon001 »

That was the first thing I had done. I only got the modules after one of the Toronto guys using RS kit had his motor blow. He had the digital ballast and had it switched in vagcom but not CanBus module. Soon as I heard about that I ordered a set and still a bit worried.

Can you be more elaborate of who this Toronto driver is- was it really
      Retrosolutionskit, 35w? How long did he have it? Does he have Auto-Lights? etc etc.. we need to pin down exactly what works and does not...

thanks

e

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      10-25-2009 07:51 PM #107
      The driver was Kwanja_a3 and he said he's had the RS kit for I think about 2 years or more. I don't know whether he has Auto lights or not, but he messaged me about 3-4 weeks back saying that his wiper motor blew. I know he's had the lights vagcommed and he had the RS kit but did NOT have the CanBus modules.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      11-19-2009 06:43 PM #108
      looks like i got boned. Intalled my RS with can bus. And went to check the wipers. NOTHING. Ugh at least im under warranty still I think, under 50k right? I'm hoping it will just work later but im doubting it.

4. 11-19-2009 07:09 PM #109
      Quote, originally posted by guiltyblade »
      looks like i got boned. Intalled my RS with can bus. And went to check the wipers. NOTHING. Ugh at least im under warranty still I think, under 50k right? I'm hoping it will just work later but im doubting it.

This is quite alarming... do you have auto-lights? and what ballast kit did you get? 35 or 55w?

everytime i read this- I knock on wood and hope and pray i wont have that same fate. I've had VVME kit (no canbus) for about 30k, and currently have the RS (w/ canbus) and car now at 56k, wipers are still working.

e

Vehicles
      oem+
      11-19-2009 08:10 PM #110
      Quote, originally posted by guiltyblade »

bet you didn't vag com though right? i've had my vwkit? first time my wiper blew even with vagcom second time they sent me canbus and no wiper failure almost a yr now

IBIS WHITE A3 SUPER SLOW

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      11-19-2009 09:06 PM #111
      yup no vagcom. I should have vagcomed, but was anxious to get them in. And well that what i got. I had ziza bulbs in before that were alright, but HID looks sooo much better.

35w, digi-ballast, 6000k, no auto-lights. Just went to the store came back tried again hoping it was a fluke. Nope they are gone. So hopefully I can get it replaced by the dealer, tell them I have no idea what happen and just use my ziza.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      11-20-2009 03:09 AM #112
      did you try the wipers immediately after powering up the HID's ... if not, how long did you wait? I have pretty much the same setup but vagcommed but the lights worked fine for at least 2-3 weeks before the vagcom update.

Quote, originally posted by mkim »

bet you didn't vag com though right? i've had my vwkit? first time my wiper blew even with vagcom second time they sent me canbus and no wiper failure almost a yr now

people have reported theirs going as much as 2-3 years after install... keep your fingers crossed.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      11-20-2009 08:38 AM #113
      i think i forgot went inside. left it probably for a half an hour to an hour and was like crap, I should check that. Then nothing. I can get it vagcommed, but I'm afriad to blow another motor after I get this one replaced.

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC
      11-20-2009 01:05 PM #114
      Would this be the first case of blown motor with can-bus harnesses installed? That's scary. It has been three months since I have replaced my wiper motor, so far so good, keeping my fingers crossed...

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      11-20-2009 01:30 PM #115
      I replaced mine nearly a year ago and than ran it with the kit that blew it out for a few months before going with the RS kit. Ran that without the vagcom or canbus for a while and than had it vagcommed and later put in the canbus module. So far, konck on wood, all is well.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      11-23-2009 03:42 AM #116
      yea so it sounds like my dealer will fix it no prob under warranty. But now i have to take it all off to bring it in. I'm afraid to reinstall honestly. I wish there was a legit fix cause I really love my HIDs.

So we have instances of vagcommed, no can bus.

and now can bus no vag com.

Anyone have it fail with both?

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      11-23-2009 05:01 AM #117
      not so far... but I think I will just keep my fingers crossed from this point on.

13. 11-23-2009 08:32 AM #118
      Can you please tell me what i need to do to get my wipers working again do i need to get it vagcomed or a bypass relay i need help it rains all the time in england so i cant even go out in my car please help thanks michael

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      11-23-2009 11:15 AM #119
      Quote, originally posted by TIPPA21 »
      Can you please tell me what i need to do to get my wipers working again do i need to get it vagcomed or a bypass relay i need help it rains all the time in england so i cant even go out in my car please help thanks michael

Once the wiper motor is blown, it can't be fixed, it must be replaced. This is my understanding, someone feel free to correct me if otherwise.

GOLDEN RULE for everyone using aftermarket HIDs: DO NOT turn on your low beams if you have the wipers going. The HIDs must be powered on and warmed up to full brightness BEFORE ever turning on the wipers. If you follow this rule, you will GREATLY decrease your chance of blowing your wiper motor.

So for example, let's say you're driving in the rain in the late afternoon and have your wipers going, it starts to get dark and you wanna turn on your headlights, FIRST turn off the wipers, then turn on your headlights, WAIT until HIDs are fully warmed up, then turn on your wipers again. Pain in the butt? yes. Worth it? yes.

oh and use rain-x or a similar product on your windshield, it removes the need for using wipers altogether in many situations, especially at highway speeds.

15. 11-23-2009 11:38 AM #120
      So dont i need a can-bus or to get it vagcomed mate thanks for the help...

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      11-23-2009 01:26 PM #121
      I am not sure that you absolutely NEED either one of those, however it is always the best policy to CYA and lean towards overkill when something as expensive as the wiper motor is involved. I think you should do both since I believe that they do decrease the chance of anything happening. The vagcom took away a minor flicker in one of my lights and I think they warm up a bit quicker now so they definitely do something at least. vagcom should be free and the canbus can be had for under $50 shipped so I don't thing there is any reason not to get them.

P.S. Kwanja_a3, are you coming out to the meet this thursday?

17. 11-25-2009 11:51 AM #122
      Hello mate can you tell me what you mean about dont turn on low beams because ive just had my motor replaced and im scared to turn my lights on now ive got the r8 lights with LED`S at the bottom can i still use low beams or not thanks.

18. 11-25-2009 01:53 PM #123
      Hello mate can you tell me what you mean about dont turn on low beams because ive just had my motor replaced and im scared to turn my lights on now ive got the r8 lights with LED`S at the bottom can i still use low beams or not thanks.

I think what he meant by turning off your wipers, before turning on your (aftermarket) HIDS, will lessen the chance of voltage spike from the HIDS which can transend back to the can-bus module which controls both headlights and wiper electronics. It has been assumed (somewhat) that the aftermarket's HID power spike are causing the A3's wiper motors to blow.
      In simpler words- HIDs on first before wipers. And dont use your "auto-lights" feature if you are so equipped.

e

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      11-25-2009 03:32 PM #124
      Ugh. So got back from the dealer/rape in the butt. So first my car was just out of warranty, so im boned out of like 500. But this is the freaking kicker. I took it in perfectly fine, nothing expect the wiper motor, expecting I could get raped for 520. And I did. Fine. But I pick up the car, and suddenly my radio is in safe mode, and the headlight switch won't turn off . Ugh. Annoying.

20. 12-01-2009 09:02 AM #125
      Can some one please tell me how to connect my canbus units to my relay unit please as im keep getting right and left dipped headlights out.

21. 12-02-2009 02:00 AM #126
      Will the wiper motor blow with HID fogs? I have factory HIDs for lower beams but am currently running HID fogs.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      12-02-2009 02:26 AM #127
      never heard of it happening....

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '06, A3 2.0t, Sport
      12-02-2009 04:39 AM #128
      Quote, originally posted by gearshifter6 »
      Will the wiper motor blow with HID fogs? I have factory HIDs for lower beams but am currently running HID fogs.

I'm running HID fogs. No problem so far. However, I rarely use the fogs or the wipers. Additionally, I'm using the VVME ballasts which has been reported as not blowing wiper motors.

Quote Originally Posted by MachnickiA3 View Post
      stick that in your "fleshy patch"

24. 12-05-2009 12:38 PM #129
      Can you please help me set up my lights i have put a bypass relay kit on my car now and vagcom it but i keeps getting error msg saying dipped headlights out ive brought a canbus kit as well but i dont no if im connecting it up properly please some one help me i dont no what to do now and i dont want to take them off its cost me so much money with my wiper motor burning out as well.

25. 12-05-2009 01:56 PM #130
      Can you please help me set up my lights i have put a bypass relay kit on my car now and vagcom it but i keeps getting error msg saying dipped headlights out ive brought a canbus kit as well but i dont no if im connecting it up properly please some one help me i dont no what to do now and i dont want to take them off its cost me so much money with my wiper motor burning out as well.

So you have an HID kit with battery relay? I've tried at best to stay away from those (as a matter of fact, i have a kit at home/w relays sitting in the garage, as i opted for the more simpler set up using only the oem wiring). Did your Kit gives you an option not use the relay and did it give you an option to connect directly to the housing wires?

e

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      12-05-2009 02:30 PM #131
      If you use a relay for aux power to the HID's, you need to provide a dummy load resistance in series with the relay trigger circuit (NOT the power side of the relay to the HID load)

Otherwise, with incorrect current flow, the computer thinks there is a bulb burned out or other fault in the headlight.

measure the normal current draw to the stock headlight with an ammeter, and use ohms law to calculate the resistance needed. Use a power resistor of the correct ohms and wattage, in series with the relay trigger ckt. Problem solved.

Also, if you are worried about damaging your wiper motor, splice in an inline fuse right at the wiper motor, since obviously it doesnt have its own fuse, a major design flaw, it would seem.

Audi is the girl who was really cute in high school, but now puts on way too much makeup in order to try and hang out with the hot girls.

27. 12-05-2009 03:32 PM #132
      How have you done it mate.i have the kit with only the oem wiring but when i had it working with no relay it blow my wiper motor so i brought a relay kit and some canbus things and got it vagcomed now it all works but im getting error msgs saying bulbs out mate.

28. 12-05-2009 03:36 PM #133
      Thanks mate if i put a resistor on do i still use my canbus things. and how do i get to my wiper motor wire to put a fuse in mate.

29. 12-05-2009 03:47 PM #134
      How have you done it mate.i have the kit with only the oem wiring but when i had it working with no relay it blow my wiper motor so i brought a relay kit and some canbus things and got it vagcomed now it all works but im getting error msgs saying bulbs out mate.

There were previous post on another thread that even w/ relays, wiper motor blew- so w/ that fact, it all depends on what brand was used, and, well, a little bit of luck, i guess. I was trying to look for the post re using relays- cause if i recall vaguely, a fellow had bulb out errors when using the relay as soon as the car was switched on.
      There was a solution, but couldnt find or think what it was...

e

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      12-05-2009 07:54 PM #135
      Thanks mate if i put a resistor on do i still use my canbus things. and how do i get to my wiper motor wire to put a fuse in mate.

unfortunatey, you will need to pop the hood and start digging.
      A good repair manual, such as the Bentley, is a must for working on your own car. Wiring diagrams with wire colors and harness info is essential for this kind of tinkering. Its not like the old days before &$*(#!! computers for every thing,( so dealership mechanics dont have to know basic automotive repair anymore) "what no code? then it must be fine!" ha ha

Audi is the girl who was really cute in high school, but now puts on way too much makeup in order to try and hang out with the hot girls.

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      12-05-2009 08:00 PM #136
      ps. didnt mean to take a jab at any of the audi mechanics that tune in to this forum. They are under too much pressure from the managers in many cases, and are up against some pretty complex stuff, with not the best quality control from the factory or parts suppliers.

32. 12-07-2009 09:12 AM #137
      Thanks mate if i put a resistor on do i still use my canbus things.

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      12-07-2009 11:22 AM #138
      i dont know what the "canbus" actually is as related to the hid fix

canbus is the name of the data system used by the various electrics in a car to talk to each other. Similar to USB or other serial bus technology.

34. 12-07-2009 01:15 PM #139
      Can some 1 please tell me how they have got theres wired up ive had it working with no relay kit on and it blow my wiper motor now ive got the relay kit on my wipers work fine but ive got error msg saying bulbs out i brought the canbus things but thay dont seem to do nothing still getting error msg do i need to put a resistor if so what wattige and what amp fuse do i need for the wiper motor please HELP

35. 12-07-2009 02:24 PM #140
      Okay......

I'm an electrical engineer and i'm trying to help my friend (Tippa21) get his HID's sorted.

Currently his HID's are powered directly from the battery switched by a relay, He also is using a CANBUS canceller. My understanding of this device is that it is only for interferance suppression and not "fooling the bulb out thingy" as it was sold for!

This is working fine as of now! however he now has bulb out errors, A simple but crude solution would be to put resistors where the OEM bulbs would of been. Easy and straight forward but having a couple of 50 watt power resistors dangling around isn't ideal. They ideally should be bolted onto something to help them disapate heat as all the energy a bulb would of used is now being turned into heat (in order to loose that energy).

The other issue - the real problem with these Audi's is the sensitivity of the comms bus, High frequency noise doesn't just travel back down the supply's conductors, It can be induced in any conductor near by. Any comunications bus should be protected from such noise and indeed other sources such as alternator interferance usally screened cable and propper grounding suffice.

Something else that would help may be ferrite's fitted on comms wiring (anyone know what is at closest proximity to HL wiring?).

My question is does any one have a confirmed workaround or a definate solution?

Thanks.

Mike.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast