Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Another wiper motor failure due to aftermarket HIDs

1. 08-17-2009 01:29 PM #76
      Rish1103
      or you can invest on OEM HIDs (either single xenon, or Bi-xenons)

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC
      08-19-2009 12:12 PM #77
      I just wanted to add that since I have put the Can-bus cancellor harnesses I've had no issues either. I have replaced the wiper motor few weeks ago and so far so good, both wipers and HIDs work without problems. I am curious if there is a case out there of wiper motor failure with the CAN-bus harnesses installed...

3. 08-19-2009 05:39 PM #78
      Quote, originally posted by njpeteo »
      I just wanted to add that since I have put the Can-bus cancellor harnesses I've had no issues either. I have replaced the wiper motor few weeks ago and so far so good, both wipers and HIDs work without problems. I am curious if there is a case out there of wiper motor failure with the CAN-bus harnesses installed...

And that remains to be seen.... What HID kit are you using though?
      Because I didnt have any major issues with VVME (w/out can-bus)...
      e

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC
      08-20-2009 10:14 AM #79
      Quote, originally posted by tiptronic »
      And that remains to be seen.... What HID kit are you using though?
      Because I didnt have any major issues with VVME (w/out can-bus)...
      e

35W AGT HID kit from http://www.hidxenonlights.com

5. 08-20-2009 10:24 AM #80
      I installed my HID kit yday, and wipers are still in action Im So Thankful, I Love the strong Blue flash of HID', I Truly missed them my first month with the A3
      I Drive an 06 A3 and i will let you guys know the brand i used when i get back home, i bought them from a valued sponser on my previous board for 160$, install went really smooth

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      09-22-2009 09:00 AM #81
      Erick
      Can-bus and wiper motor still behaving on the RS kit?

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      09-22-2009 03:45 PM #82
      Can't speak for Eric but mine is still working perfectly even without the can-bus module. Thanks for the tip on the Vag-com coding Jason [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] . When I got it done at the last meet even the very faint flickering I experienced in the left light with the highbeams on went away.

8. 09-26-2009 01:07 PM #83
      Quote, originally posted by kwanja_a3 »
      Erick
      Can-bus and wiper motor still behaving on the RS kit?

Yes sir- works flawlessly Perhaps it is the RS' design that is preventing any power spikes- but i do feel more comfortable knowing there's 2 probably fail-safe system keeping it in check...
      winter is coming up fast- and still to this date, i havent finished my 'second' headlight project... shame shame! i had plans for it..but at this point, i'm just going to keep it simple, and functional.
      e

9. 10-08-2009 11:42 PM #84
      would it make any difference if i used an HID kit that uses a relay that pulls power directly from the battery instead of the connector for the headlight? from reading many posts about HID's and wiper motors burning out, im guessing most are using a ballast that plugs into the stock headlight connector....(?) with using a relay type kit, it only uses the headlight connector as a signal to turn on the relay, that pulls powers from the battery going to the ballast... would a HID kit with a relay be suitable, and not be a problem that fries the wiper motor?

10. 10-09-2009 01:17 PM #85
      Quote, originally posted by mista808 »
      would it make any difference if i used an HID kit that uses a relay that pulls power directly from the battery instead of the connector for the headlight? from reading many posts about HID's and wiper motors burning out, im guessing most are using a ballast that plugs into the stock headlight connector....(?) with using a relay type kit, it only uses the headlight connector as a signal to turn on the relay, that pulls powers from the battery going to the ballast... would a HID kit with a relay be suitable, and not be a problem that fries the wiper motor?

I think there were two incidents of wiper failure even with the battery relay.
      e

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '06, A3 2.0t, Sport
      10-09-2009 05:40 PM #86
      Quote, originally posted by tiptronic »
      I think there were two incidents of wiper failure even with the battery relay.
      e

Which has led me to believe that the failure has nothing to do with what brand of ballast you use or if you use some mysterious can-bus module. I think it must be mostly the location of the ballasts which create EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference). This would have an affect on any can-bus wires passing nearby. However, the brand could effect this too as different brands will be shielded differently and create different levels of EMI. Maybe we just need to wrap the ballasts in metal foil or attach a ground strap to the ballast.
      Quote Originally Posted by MachnickiA3 View Post
      stick that in your "fleshy patch"

12. 10-09-2009 08:00 PM #87
      From what i understand, our A3s power module (or can-bus) controller is shared by the wiper controller and headlights- hence a power spike caused by the ballast/starter can inflict the wiper motor- so ive read- and stated by an audi tech.

Modified by tiptronic at 6:07 PM 10/19/2009

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      10-19-2009 12:53 AM #88
      Thanks for the updates tiptronic. I went ahead and ordered the same set up as you did, retrosolutions 35 w h7, and can-bus from ebay. I will probably get my buddy to VAGCOM the xenon lights code too to be extra safe. For anyone interested I found this link for retrosolutions:
      http://www.retro-solutions.com/audiworldGB.html

Vehicles
      oem+
      10-19-2009 01:21 AM #89
      Just wondering do any of you guys get electrical interference sound after you guys put the after market HID? i don't know where the sound is coming from.
      IBIS WHITE A3 SUPER SLOW

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      10-19-2009 07:58 PM #90
      Depends on where you place you ballast. It can interefere. Also the type of ballast can as well. i think digital ones don't interfere.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      10-19-2009 08:57 PM #91
      Well do you have a 'safe' suggestion? Also the Digital ones can blow the motor... one of the guys in Canada lost his recently and he's using a digital ballast exactly like mine.

17. 10-19-2009 09:06 PM #92
      Quote, originally posted by mkim »
      Just wondering do any of you guys get electrical interference sound after you guys put the after market HID? i don't know where the sound is coming from.

Only in AM frequency, and not a sound, but a weakness in signal/reception. I did have a frequency sound when i used the non-digital VVME ballasts, but not on current RS kit.
      The ballasts are located under the headlight housing slot for hid ballasts.
      As far as ballast location, really, imo, i dont think is the cause of wiper failure. To state it simply- the controller used for the lights are shared with the wipers - this is what was stated by one of the audi techs. Hence, a power spike from the ballast may infact burn the wipermotor.
      But until audi states the cause officially- please- installing aftermarket HIDS- must be done AYOR.
      peace!

Modified by tiptronic at 6:17 PM 10/19/2009

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      10-20-2009 12:16 AM #93
      Well I didn't say it would not blow the motor , but from what I hear like tiptronic said underside of the housing is pretty popular and successful. I think when people bolt it to the framing is when some people find issues.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      10-20-2009 07:45 PM #94
      I just observed something... when I turn on my HID's in the parking of my building, the reception on the FM radio seems to get weaker and a bit staticky... I never noticed that before. At least my CanBus warning cancelers from RetroSolutions came in today. Should be able to install them tomorrow and see if they make a difference.

Vehicles
      oem+
      10-21-2009 08:56 PM #95
      Quote, originally posted by Gryphon001 »
      I just observed something... when I turn on my HID's in the parking of my building, the reception on the FM radio seems to get weaker and a bit staticky... I never noticed that before. At least my CanBus warning cancelers from RetroSolutions came in today. Should be able to install them tomorrow and see if they make a difference.

been having this electrical interference issue for awhile now with this kit.
      http://www.directconnectiontuning.com/hids.html
      I've had a canbus also but same o ****.
      i get weird "zeeeee zeeeeee" sound when i listen to my stereo, when i turn on my signals...
      what could be the issue?
      IBIS WHITE A3 SUPER SLOW

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      10-21-2009 10:34 PM #96
      Perhaps your ballast is near your turn signal wire, when you turn on your turn signal it amplifies the interference, at least enough to hear it on the radio. Just a theory. I imagine its similar to having a cellphone to close to a radio frequency. But I'm just talking out of my a$$ so I could be wrong!

22. 10-21-2009 10:46 PM #97
      been having this electrical interference issue for awhile now with this kit.
      http://www.directconnectiontuning.com/hids.html
      I've had a canbus also but same o ****.
      i get weird "zeeeee zeeeeee" sound when i listen to my stereo, when i turn on my signals...
      what could be the issue?

The two sets of HID kits pictured (single and bi-xenons) in the link above (directconnectiontuning) are exactly the same ones sold by VVME. When i had them on my car- they created a high pitch (starts as a low frequency and elevates over time, then back down to low) - it was more prominent in AM frequency (traffic report) and a slight interference in FM. The VVMEs also reacted when i depressed the brakes (a very slight and quick dimming- as if the electrical power distribution is interrupted).
      Although i didnt test the RetroSolution Kit without the added can-bus canceller, i havent had any of those issues at all.
      The VVMEs (and if im correct to assume the directconnectiontuning uses the same supplier) are not Digital. According to the claim in digital kits (including RS kit) they eliminate radio / electrical interference.
      E

Vehicles
      oem+
      10-23-2009 05:20 PM #98
      i found out that the sound gets even worse then i use my right signal but no sound on left signal. That must mean something might be wrong with the ballast on my right right? or the location of it? "shrug"
      IBIS WHITE A3 SUPER SLOW

24. 10-23-2009 09:06 PM #99
      i found out that the sound gets even worse then i use my right signal but no sound on left signal. That must mean something might be wrong with the ballast on my right right? or the location of it? "shrug"

could be- just get Retrosolutions 35w kit - it'll eliminate that issue,

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      10-24-2009 12:12 AM #100
      I finally plugged in the modules and find that the FM interference is the same as without them. The signal just seems to get weaker, no weird noises and it only happens when I am in my underground garage. Lot's of concrete and stuff....
      Weird... Hey Tiptronic, the CanBus modules you got... are they the same as the 'warning canceler' modules from RetroSolutions? Because that's what I got in the mail and plugged in ... still keeping my fingers crossed.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast