Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 Jetta A/C not working

1. 06-25-2009 06:59 PM #1
      Fan was blowing soft and cool... not cold. Took it to the shop. Changed compressor and condensor. Now works good for about 45 minutes than starts to not blow as hard or as cool. Popped the hood and notice the AC lines are frosted (white ice) over from the drier to the valve on my firewall. Shop not sure what that means but noticed that my Radiator fan isnt spinning, so they think the condensor is not cooling enough and pressure getting to high. I dont think changing the fan will solve the problem since I only drive on a high way with maybe 3 for 4 stops for lights. Any ideas?

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      06-25-2009 07:35 PM #2
      possible fan control module. Does it stay cold when you are on the highway moving? Was either the compressor and condenser bad?
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

3. 06-25-2009 07:54 PM #3
      Well i drive an hour from work to home going 65 pretty much all the way. For the first 30 minutes its really cool. 10 minutes later it starts to die out (this is when i get closer to the city and red lights... but small town, only 3 lights) then i go back on the highway. When I'm back on the high way it doesn't cool again. Ac does not get cool until i park the car with AC off and let the ice melt.

4. 06-25-2009 07:56 PM #4
      They said my compressor was bad so replaced it and when they were putting everything back together they noticed a weld coming loose on the condenser that they couldnt weld back, so they had to replace the condenser. I might note also that the high pressure was getting close to 300 psi at the shop as we ran the ac for 10 minutes. That is why they suggest i change the fan first

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      06-25-2009 08:51 PM #5
      Does the fan come on when coolant temp in radiator gets hot? (thermo switch and fan working) If not, either the fan is bad, you can test it cy jumpering the wires at the switch. The fan should come on any time the AC is switched on, all the power for the fan goes thru the fan control module, it has the circuitry and relays inside it to control the fan, it can be pricey, so for troubleshooting, a used one maybe a good buy, but that could also be faulty. I have seen the module fail, but never a fan motor.

6. 06-25-2009 10:33 PM #6
      Well the radiator temp goes mid point and doesnt get any hotter. Fan does not kick in then. One think i noticed, if I spin the fan with my finger, it will start but be pretty slow. will try jumping wires tomorrow

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      06-25-2009 11:18 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by cmavridis »
      One think i noticed, if I spin the fan with my finger, it will start but be pretty slow.

That doesn't seem right.You could have a bad fan motor, But if its not overheating, it must be working. You might want to recheck it. Drive and get it up to temp, then pull into a parking lot and let the car idle, the fan should come on or overheat.

8. 06-26-2009 05:40 PM #8
      Well still no over heating and still no fan spinning. I did notice that my smaller fan (AC fan) kicks in even though my AC is off. So, maybe thats doing enough to stop the radiator from over heating.

I drove an hour with no AC. Got home and let it run for 5 minutes even with reving it up. Temp needle did not move from center and Large fan (radiator fan) did not come on.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      06-27-2009 01:16 AM #9
      That is def not right. You need to test the fan motor to m ake sure it works, and check the wiring, fuses, etc. If all that checks out, the fan module.

10. 06-27-2009 02:47 PM #10
      Could be a bad metering valve. If the high side pressures are high (300psi) and the low side pressures are to low (frosted lines) thats what it sounds like to me.

11. 06-27-2009 02:51 PM #11
      A metering valve is what seperates the high side from low side soo if it is stuck shut then the comppressor will be trying to suck from a closed circuit (which creates extreemly low pressures) and pump into a closed circuit (extreemly high pressures).

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      06-27-2009 03:42 PM #12
      Even if that is the problem, it won't last long w/o the fans. The press will build and lift the relief valve.

13. 06-27-2009 05:58 PM #13
      Any ideas on how to test the fan? i pulled it off but dont know where to go from here. Also, no matter what i try... i cant make my car over heat. The smaller fan kicks in when im at normal temp and I guess that keeps it from over heating.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      06-27-2009 10:07 PM #14
      Give power and a ground, be careful as it'll turn if it's good.