Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: kerma mod

1. 06-30-2009 01:22 PM #1
      anyone did this mod yet??? im pretty sure my tranny is the 01M matched with a 2000 jetta vr6 12v 2.8....

just inquiring , im thinking about changing the fluid filter, and doing this mod, looking for feedback before I do it.

2. 06-30-2009 08:07 PM #2
      Hmm I just read through the last page and it made me change my mind about the kerma mod as well.

Modified by VR6_Idaho at 9:00 AM 7-1-2009

3. 06-30-2009 11:27 PM #3
      Check out this thread. Great info but takes a while to read. I think I will be doing the Kerma mod too
      http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=62154

Modified by joshsjetta at 11:10 PM 6-30-2009

Vehicles
      S/C 97 8v 2008 Rabbit
      07-01-2009 12:39 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by joshsjetta »
      Check out this thread. Great info but takes a while to read. I think I will be doing the Kerma mod too
      http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=62154

How come everyone posts this link but has apparently not read the last page?

5. 07-01-2009 09:24 AM #5
      I stand corrected
      No Kerma for me.

6. 04-25-2012 10:44 AM #6
      After reading as many posts on 01M issues that my eyes would allow, here is my story.

I recently bought a 2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon with the 1.9L. It was in incredibly great condition inside and out. It had 190k miles with just about all the service records from the dealer and upgrades recorded by the previous (one) owner.

Then there was the Shudder, and the Slip, and the P-R-D delays. I was starting to feel sick about my purchase. I started reading the forums and talking to mechanics and finally the VW dealer who I thought drove the final ($4000+) dagger into my heart. I opted for a miracle.

There was no way I was going to let such a beautiful well-maintained machine go the way of the junk yard.

1st Remedy: a mechanic friend put in 2 tubes of a Shudder-Stop solution and the shudder was gone, but the slip between 3-4 was still there at the 45-55mph (1800-2200 rpm). I drove it about 1000 miles to see if it got better but it did not and the shudder started to come back.

2nd Remedy: in conversing with CoolAirVW about valve bodies and Kerma Mods I decided to do a fluid/filter change with a partial flush along with a partial Kerma Mod.
      I ended up going the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF since it thought to be the best of the domestics. I didn't want to spend a lot if I was already "doomed" as most posts suggested.

CoolAirVW suggested just 4 clicks on the mod but I had read another post, that I can no longer locate, of a VW "expert" sayin he has used a half turn in his mods. That was about 7 clicks. So I thought to myself, "Lucky 7, that's it!". Seven clicks it was, along with a new filter, gasket and 4.5 qts of DexMerc.

FYI: there was no unusual residue in the pan or filter other than the traditional grey pastey sludge around the magnet. No Chia pets or chunks of metal. For a moment I thought that the fluid may have been changed before but then I saw the date stamp on the filter "2003".
      The fluid was quite dark and did not smell so good, at least it didn't smell as fresh as the new stuff.

So, back the the change. As I was filling with the new fluid, I put in 3 qts before starting the engine and when it got up to temp, I opened the plug and put in another quart letting the overflow into a bucket. I ended up running another half-quart thru before settling on the level, so I guess I flushed it a little.

Well, to date I have driven almost 1500 miles with nary a slip, shudder or delay. I've driven at all speeds upwards to 90 mph and I must say I am very pleased with the outcome. I plan on doing another partial fluid change before long and then on a regular basis provided I have "Good Kerma".

I am also thinking of the tranny air cooler mod as well. I will keep you posted.

7. 05-22-2012 09:34 AM #7
      Well, it's been over 2000 miles and all is well. Tranny still shifting smooth and sticking to each gear. No slips, drips or shudders. Drive on!

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta Mk4 2.Slow!
      06-25-2012 02:24 PM #8
      Wow that is awesome! I have the P-R-D delay and a hard downshift to 1 on a 01m with 70,000 (changed the FF and replaced VW spec fluid with Redline Syn ATF a couple thou ago no nasty looking stuff on the magnet and the fluid was not that dirty) and was going to do the partial Kerma Mod but got scared and did not. Maybe I will now?