Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The '77 that followed me home.

Vehicles
      1992 GTI (Daily), 1977 Scirocco 16vT Hillclimb, 1979 Scirocco, 1988 Scirocco 16v, 1972 CB350
      10-13-2009 07:08 PM #36
      I have been working on tons of little things on the car. no photos of em.

Main tasks have been:

Wiring, this is killing me. Nothing seems to fit what the Bentley says and none of the lights work.

getting the V belt to fit the AC delete.

wideband O2 sensor

getting the interior together

getting brakes bled.

more wiring.

it is slow going but I cannot work on it everyday and money is tight.

If anyone has any tricks or knows of web sites that show 77 sirocco fuse box layouts let me know. I have been searching everywhere and the rabbits are different enough not to work.

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by george.redinger View Post
      Brain stools are brain farts gone wrong.
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      1992 GTI (Daily), 1977 Scirocco 16vT Hillclimb, 1979 Scirocco, 1988 Scirocco 16v, 1972 CB350
      10-14-2009 10:18 PM #37
      ok buddy of mine stopped by and we got the brakes nice and firm. got a drivers side TB manifold from a vortexer (sorry IM history did not save far enough back for me to remember your name), it is now painted and waiting to go on.

Wide band came today. Innovate wide band. Very nice they gave me everything needed including bungs for the exhaust which is very nice of them!

WOOT Progress!

Here are some photos of me dropping the fuel tank to clean it.

Plugging the holes with gloves so I can shake it.

Modified by Brycejoseph at 10:42 PM 1-25-2010

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

3. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S (sold), 93 Swedish Brick Sedan (boring), 84 GTI (kinda running), 91 318is (yeah baby)
      10-14-2009 10:46 PM #38
      Yep I just performed the same gas tank ritual on my car...yuck what a dirty job (kinda smelly too, now that I think about it).

for your progress!

Vehicles
      10-15-2009 05:42 PM #39
      Quote, originally posted by petebee »
      Yep I just performed the same gas tank ritual on my car...yuck what a dirty job (kinda smelly too, now that I think about it).

for your progress!

oh man I did not know gas could smell that bad. how did yours look? mine had a ton of crap that looked a lot like sand grains.

Update!

Got power to the fuse box.
      went the rout of the Audi 5000 and pulled power off the batt line. I hope this does not bite me later, because it is really clean and nice this way.

Got my pully for the AC delete. I could find nothing localy to pull it off of. including 15+ VW's in the U-pull yard. a Local MK2 and air cooled shop. and Bow-wow.

This is a plug for Toywagen, this pully looks great. It is for an 8v AC delete but I can find any difference between them yet.

Found these in the U-pull yard. I plan on polishing them up and making some cool wall art. any guess what they are off of?

Cheers for now.

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      10-15-2009 09:21 PM #40
      IT IS ALIVE!!!!!well... It turns over no ECU in it.

I put all the engine together tonight and got lucky with some wiring connectors and BAM!.

here are the photos of the magical moment.

Dont mind the seat. it is just in it so I can sit and make vroom vroom sounds.

<---- ecstatic

Modified by Brycejoseph at 6:26 PM 10-15-2009

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe, 98 Gulf more-door VR6, 01 Volvo v70xc, 82 Rabbit (hers)
      10-15-2009 10:09 PM #41
      very nice! looks like that seat used to be awesome, that's some suweet fabric!

Vehicles
      10-20-2009 08:41 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by briansimons »
      very nice! looks like that seat used to be awesome, that's some suweet fabric!

thanks ^.^
      well yesterday we got together and turned it over and it got stuck on, had to disconnect the batt to turn it off. This did not happen to me when I first got it to turn over. So yeah this weekend I will be removing all the connectors and tracing every wire back to the source.

and then off to put a tranny in my buddies MK2, too bad its not a easy as a MK1!!!

Cheers,

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

8. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S (sold), 93 Swedish Brick Sedan (boring), 84 GTI (kinda running), 91 318is (yeah baby)
      10-20-2009 09:12 PM #43
      way to go...mine is running somewhat...not well but good enough to snap the flex pipe

And my old gas smelled (10+ years) and was brown. Mash (who I bought it from) did most of the cleanup when he got the car 10 years ago. But I was still able to get a few ounces of rust and crud out of the tank.

Modified by petebee at 6:13 PM 10-20-2009

Vehicles
      11-03-2009 11:16 AM #44
      Ok I found some time to work on the Scirocco! Had to pick up three MORE bottles of Tranny fluid AND CV grease, because the bad tranny seals drained all my other fluid onto the floor and in the process melted the CV grease.

So replaces those and buttoned up the tranny. Then jumped over to wiring. >.< So the reason I was having trouble before was that the colored blocks that attach to the back of the fuse block had several wires missing from them, this made reading the Bently wiring diagram really hard.

So I found the wires and put little connectors on them and put them back in their home. plugged everything back in and it turned over like it was supposed to. before it was basically a closed circuit at all times, now it works with the key turn.

No lights yet but I did not worry about that.

Baby steps forward, baby steps forward.

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe, 98 Gulf more-door VR6, 01 Volvo v70xc, 82 Rabbit (hers)
      11-03-2009 08:21 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by Brycejoseph »
      Baby steps forward, baby steps forward.

this is exactly how my project is going, 81 rocco S, just couldn't pass it up, always wanted one. but i've yet to really get crackin on it

Vehicles
      2000 GLX GTI w/ 277K and Counting
      11-06-2009 01:41 AM #46
      i just picked up an 86 8v a week ago. car runs and everything.. got new carpets and hatch lock already for her.. g60 corrado seats (fronts for now) are going in soon. got some wiring gremlins to deal with. all in all im excited
      CLIQVE HERE
      Instagram @tylerpotenzone
      SAVE YOUR MK4 12V NOW
      Build Thread for my GTI
      Quote Originally Posted by passattimmy View Post
      Sucks, I've never blown one so don't curse me haha

Vehicles
      11-06-2009 10:52 PM #47
      Quote, originally posted by 1132fahr »
      i just picked up an 86 8v a week ago. car runs and everything.. got new carpets and hatch lock already for her.. g60 corrado seats (fronts for now) are going in soon. got some wiring gremlins to deal with. all in all im excited

Awsome man! Grats! they are so much fun even though mine does not run yet ^.^

Quote, originally posted by briansimons »

this is exactly how my project is going, 81 rocco S, just couldn't pass it up, always wanted one. but i've yet to really get crackin on it

I hear you motivation is a key factor along with a busy life it is hard to sit down and get stuff done.

Modified by Brycejoseph at 7:59 PM 11-6-2009

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      11-12-2009 09:15 PM #48
      ok got some work done today. wiring is up! everything clicks on when key is turned. we had to route the fuel pump around the fuse box because there must be a broken connection inside, which might be why it was rigged when I first got it.

we have fuel! I know this because it sprayed out of a break in the line which got fixed.

However... No spark. after double checking then double checking again all of the connections and locations of wires. conclutions are that it is a bad ignition module or hall sensor.
      I tried two ignition coils, reads 12v to the coil. but no spark to the dist or at the plugs. So thinking that the hall sensor or ignition module is not letting the coil send out spark is our current path.

I'll be grabbing several spares from the junk yard this weekend and hope that one of them works. finding a new 16v dist for the hall sensor is going to be the pain.

well that is all for now, it is so close I can taste it...maybe that is fuel, I did get coverd in it.

cheers!

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      11-19-2009 11:22 PM #49
      It RUNS! I'll try and get a video of it.
      It turned out a stray tach wire was the culprit. Plugged it in set the spark at 8 deg BTDC and bam.

so now or two to celebrate!

cheers,

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      12-01-2009 10:03 PM #50
      ok well finally got around to doing some work today. took out the alternator setup and put in a new mount and another alternator I had laying around this time around there is actually play in the alternator so I can tension a belt! Turns out after three trips to the local auto parts store I am 1/2 in too long in belt length... >.< so I will wait till tomorrow to bug them for the right belt. After that that should be good to go.

I fiddled with the car a little after the belt let me down. I am having trouble with the Megasquirt ECU staying on. When I run a real time view in Megatune it shows the batt Volt dropping right when it shuts off, so I need to find why the voltage gets so low... even with my jetta jumping the batt while cranking, the only way I can get it to start currently.

the good news is one of my headlights started working...I dont know how.

Until I find time again!

cheers,

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      12-10-2009 07:16 PM #51
      ok the alternator set up works great the batt can keep the car running, however with the batt sitting at 12.63 still will not turn over the motor. I will be moving the batt to the engine bay to see if there is something causing trouble in the cable.

I need to set up a time with the exhaust guys to get that done. Then I need to find a timing light so I can tune the MS spot on. then...well who knows really.

BTW I miss summer when plastic did not shatter and metal did not freeze to your hands.

Here are some photos of the setup.

I got this by using the bracket that has the "arm" that sticks out, while the old one I had was flat. Normally when you see a non-ac and power steering set-up this arm is cut off and the lower mount is used. I had to keep mine on because the lines from the oil cooler run there. I do not see a downside to running the alternator higher besides needing a longer V-belt.

The scirocco has taken two steps down on my priority list. First Finals are going on at school and second I got a new daily driver, which needs maintenance done to make her dead reliable ( Crosses fingers).

Here it is. I almost got a 79 Scirocco instead... I I don't really know why I did not...

Cheers till I get a timing light and finish finals and do stuff to the DD.
      Then the Scirocco will get attention again ^.^

*quick Edit while I am thinking about it*
      I took the fender out to pound out some dents and now for the life of me I cannot remember or find anywhere how the fender mounts to the body. I know on top by the hood there are slip on washers that I have, but in front of the door there are only little square holes I cannot find the hardware that goes here... if anyone knows ANYTHING about them please point me in the right direction! thanks

Modified by Brycejoseph at 4:18 PM 12-10-2009

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      84 scirocco,83 Scirocco(parts),76 scirocco"Sabine",85 ledgends turbo scirocco
      12-10-2009 09:11 PM #52
      What year of engine are you running?
      Cuz that looked way easy to addapt to a mega squirt.Also
      what transmission,I was wonder what gear ratio's.
      Nice find and build.

Vehicles
      12-11-2009 11:14 AM #53
      Quote, originally posted by 83mk2scirocco »
      What year of engine are you running?
      Cuz that looked way easy to addapt to a mega squirt.Also
      what transmission,I was wonder what gear ratio's.
      Nice find and build.

Thanks! The motor is a 16v 9A out of a 1991 Passat and yeah I was fairly surprised too about how easy the megasquirt went together.

I could not tell you anything about the tranny because I have not looked up the code on it yet, but when I do It will be posted here.

Cheers!

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      12-16-2009 06:02 PM #54
      Okies! here is a vid of here running:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0glVbtrc3w

I also have a huge question!!!

How do I mount this (inside of fender)

To this( outside of body in front of door)

I cannot get to the back of the photo above. there must be some sort of special nut that fits in the hole. I would take the other side off but I really don't want to break into the seam sealer that has held up for 34 years.

any help would be awesome. I have exhausted my local hardware stores and I cannot find any part numbers for these little guys online.

thanks tons!

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      01-23-2010 04:53 PM #55
      Did some work today! To start off with my fried ECU got repaired thanks to Needs_A_Vr6 he is awesome. He kept me updated on what he was doing and did so in a timely manner. I cannot wait to get it in the mail so that the real fun can start.

I also have been having issues with coolant leaks, I will put fluid in and it ill leave a large puddle on the floor my the next morning. So replaced a hose and broke open the water pump and put new seals in ( even though they where new when I put it on the motor the first time). I am putting fluid in the block so that there is not just air in there when I start running it.

This helped in finding where the leaks were coming from.

It is an container covered in a paper towel. (Duh) that way leaks show up, and I dont have to get it all over the floor. Patent Pending

Another thing I knocked out today was a slim radiator fan set up. This fan is off something, I have no idea because I just found it lying on the ground at the junkyard..

But it has two wires to control it and it works when a battery is hooked up to it. It is very quiet BTW.

so I took off my old one with the monster shroud and as you can see it is not big enough to fit across the whole thing. I looked around for pieces of wood.plastic, or metal that I could make a bracket for.

and I came up with this:

It is a holder for the old Steel braided CIS lines. I pounded it flat(ish) and gave it a little bend to put force on the fan to hold it in place.

I painted it black so it did not stand out too much. That thing just screams jerry-rig.

and here is the slim fan on the radiator next to JUST the old shroud.

I saved about 5 inches of engine room.

here is the bay as it sits now.

Here is the best photo I can find of before.

Thanks to my dad for the awesome Christmas present of How To Keep Your Rabbit Alive(it covers Roccos too!) it is an awesome read!

until I get more motivation.

Cheers,

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

21. 01-23-2010 08:42 PM #56
      I'll have to drop by and check this out sometime, what part of town are you in? I just got my '77 Rabbit running and registered again.

-Rob

Vehicles
      Multiple Sciroccos and a Jetta Wagon
      01-23-2010 09:21 PM #57
      In the fitting of the floors I broke a rusty brake line, I don't know how i feel about them running through the inside...

Ya know, I never stopped in this thread.... the brake lines inside the car were a recall item - the recall rerouted them outside.

Nice progress!!!

Vehicles
      01-23-2010 09:52 PM #58
      Quote, originally posted by robw_z »
      I'll have to drop by and check this out sometime, what part of town are you in? I just got my '77 Rabbit running and registered again.

-Rob

Overland and Maple grove is where it is being brought to life.

Pm me for Phone.

Quote, originally posted by vwdaun »

Ya know, I never stopped in this thread.... the brake lines inside the car were a recall item - the recall rerouted them outside.

Nice progress!!!

Thanks!

Modified by Brycejoseph at 7:59 PM 1-23-2010

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      04.5 GLI, 92 Corrado VR6, 89 GTI VR6 RIP 02 GTI
      03-04-2010 04:54 PM #59
      I demand MOAR, you have a new one that the world needs to hear about... walk the ten feet to your garage, take some pictures then return to your chair and report the news! You may choose to omit "the fuse incident"
      Quote Originally Posted by elementpb View Post
      Don't horror movies start that way?
      Yeah, but porno movies do too!

Vehicles
      03-04-2010 06:16 PM #60
      Quote, originally posted by G T Igofast »
      You may choose to omit "the fuse incident"

Surly I don't know what you are talking about sir, perhaps you are mistaken ^.-
      Here is the "new" one.

But in all seriousness it is coming along slowly. I picked up an '78 nearby and that is so close to running that I feel like that needs the attention. I am sourcing pieces for my exhaust build, a buddy of mine is doing the welding. After that is done it is alignment and tuning of the MS and she is good to go.

First race of the season is on the 14th. I really want to have it good to go by then. Maybe not competing but I would like to show up in it, so people wont say " but you had ALL winter to get it here"

I still need to acquire my Rota RB's in 13X8 ^.^ so my race tires wont feel so lonely in my closet

I have been browsing build threads for motivation, it has helped a little

Untill next time,

Modified by Brycejoseph at 3:46 PM 3-4-2010

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

26. 03-09-2010 11:21 AM #61
      Nice build, can't wait to see it rolling under its own power.

Really fast.

27. 03-09-2010 12:10 PM #62
      just read this thread, really nice project, awesome work!

greets

Vehicles
      03-09-2010 10:22 PM #63

I got the exhaust pieces today. Two 180Deg mandrel bends and a 7 foot piece of 2 1/4 inch that should all be welded up and good to go on Friday by a buddy of mine. Right now I am having a Megasquirt hiccup, naw more of a user error. I cant get it to idle and I have forgotten how I got it to idle the first time

Quote, originally posted by Raketemensch »
      Nice build, can't wait to see it rolling under its own power.

Really fast.

Quote, originally posted by OSLer »
      just read this thread, really nice project, awesome work!

greets

Thanks guys it means a lot. I did not know much, who am i kidding I knew nothing, when I started. Dive right in and hope it does not blow up on the first race

Cheers,

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

29. 03-10-2010 12:01 PM #64

Thanks guys it means a lot. I did not know much, who am i kidding I knew nothing, when I started. Dive right in and hope it does not blow up on the first race

Cheers,

now thats the real spirit of Scirocco owners, so you have been chosen wisely by the car!

Vehicles
      03-17-2010 11:02 PM #65
      Okay updates! Today it was a balmy 65 Deg so I busted and got stuff done.
      Here is the exhaust bits that I have had rolling around for ages. Going to be welded up soon and mated to a VR6 muffler, then it is just tuning to get her running right.

So a question to throw out there. my Manifold has 1 3/4" O.D. tubing stubs coming off. Should take back my 2" O.D tubing for the down pipe and go to the stock size.
      This down pipe will be mated to a 2 1/4" exhaust strait back to the muffler. I guess the question is: Is 2" too big for a down pipe on a N/A motor?

EDIT! I went with a 1 3/4" down pipe to a 2 1/4 " back exhaust. ^.^

Patched up the swiss cheese in the rain tray so that I don't drown when it rains This is woven fiberglass instead of the fiberglass stuff which is sprayed together. This stuff looks really good dry and is WAY easier to handle. I got mine from Walmart, I think in a 4 foot square piece for like $5. I placed duct tape on the back of the rain tray so that the resin would not drip down. The light colored spots are the rust holes with the tape behind, I cleaned it with a wire nut on a grinder and sprayed it with self etching primer before laying down the resin and fiberglass.

I also finished wiring up my Wideband to the megasquirt so I can place the bung in the exhaust and start tuning whenever that happens.

Fed through the firewall by the coil.

and plenty of room to spare!

Fin. For now!

Modified by Brycejoseph at 8:52 AM 3-21-2010

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      03-20-2010 11:25 PM #66
      Today was amazingly nice so I got some work done!
      After going to a bureau of Euro get together and a belly full of Cronic Tacos. I got motivated and started busting @ss.
      Sweet decals! sorry cell shot

Exhaust will be welded tomorrow, so today I patched some rust holes and shaved the side markers and the antenna hole.

Start:

Grind off Paint:

Cut out piece of 22 Gage steel.

Tack weld over and over again. Grind down. Fill holes. Grind down. This is about half way:

This is how it looked to start.

Apply some Bondo to "smooth" (Quotes because the body all ready looks like a circus funny house) it out. Sand

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      78 F150, 3-A1's, A2 Joupe
      03-21-2010 03:28 AM #67
      Looks awesome man!! I hope to be starting my build thread for my Mk1 soon! Gotta get it to my house first.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ice Karl
      And let consequences fall where they may. Roll dice and accept
      outcome...

Vehicles
      VW C30 Stingray
      03-21-2010 03:38 AM #68
      Good work.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      03-21-2010 11:51 AM #69
      Quote, originally posted by Rocco_crossing »
      Looks awesome man!! I hope to be starting my build thread for my Mk1 soon! Gotta get it to my house first.

Lol thanks, Summer is coming nice weather to spend lots of quality time with it

Quote, originally posted by Mtl-Marc »
      Good work.

Thanks,

EDIT: Today Jeb from Dub Lab Development stopped by and fabbed up a downpipe, for now it is just tacked together. I will have it back in a few days.

Runners,

Collector,

Pre-welded downpipe!

When he gets that done he will be stopping by to slap togeather the rest of the exhaust. I cannot wait to hear the 2 1/4 to a VR6 muffler

Modified by Brycejoseph at 6:47 PM 3-21-2010

I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      04.5 GLI, 92 Corrado VR6, 89 GTI VR6 RIP 02 GTI
      03-22-2010 02:10 PM #70
      I want a mechanic's shirt with somone else's name on it =D. Its about time this exhaust happened! One step closer to being stomped by the nevar loose <('.'<)
      Quote Originally Posted by elementpb View Post
      Don't horror movies start that way?
      Yeah, but porno movies do too!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast