Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The '77 that followed me home.

Vehicles
      1980 VW Scirocco
      08-08-2009 11:30 PM #26
      Wow - it's comming along very nicely. Keep the updates and photos comming [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

2. 08-09-2009 01:48 PM #27
      Those brake lines are pretty. But I hope they aren't pure, but rather the real thing. If not, let me know so I can take out a life insurance policy on you.

3. 08-09-2009 01:51 PM #28
      That should have been:
      "...hope they aren't pure copper..."

Vehicles
      1992 GTI (Daily), 1977 Scirocco 16vT Hillclimb, 1979 Scirocco, 1988 Scirocco 16v, 1972 CB350
      08-09-2009 09:04 PM #29
      *shrug* I would not think so., but you never know.
      Glad to see you on here go check the bus forms from your old college days.
      Cheers,
      Quote Originally Posted by george.redinger View Post
      Brain stools are brain farts gone wrong.
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

5. 08-10-2009 10:35 AM #30
      Copper from the household plumbing supply vs Copper-Nickel brake lines. Hundreds of PSI burst strength vs Thousands of PSI. Also, Pure Copper becomes brittle with vibration, then cracks, then...

Vehicles
      1992 GTI (Daily), 1977 Scirocco 16vT Hillclimb, 1979 Scirocco, 1988 Scirocco 16v, 1972 CB350
      08-10-2009 06:13 PM #31
      they are copper-nickel. I asked the specialty shop i got them from. They will also be getting me some nylon corded hydraulic hose for the oil cooler.
      I am getting really low compression and after talking to several sources we think that it is just dry piston rings so today is finish bolting on parts of the engine so that it is complete enough to add the fluids.
      Cheers,
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

7. 08-11-2009 02:11 PM #32
      I use "Fogging oil" in spray can with a plastic-straw-snout to put mowers and weed eaters to bed for the winter. My Dad used to take out the spark plugs and squirt in some kerosene in a newly rebuild engine. He also used to pack the oil pump with grease before assembly to "prime it".
      I used to have an external oil cooler on my '67 bug. Mounted just below the rear window. It was fed with rubber hoses. After a few years in the sunshine ,the hoses began to crack. After a few more years they began to leak. When I sold the car--for $50-- I advised the new owner to over fill it with oil and drive fast, so he could get home before all the oil was pumped out. He did, and it did not run out before he got home.

Vehicles
      08-11-2009 09:59 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by george.redinger »
      I use "Fogging oil" in spray can with a plastic-straw-snout to put mowers and weed eaters to bed for the winter. My Dad used to take out the spark plugs and squirt in some kerosene in a newly rebuild engine. He also used to pack the oil pump with grease before assembly to "prime it".
      I used to have an external oil cooler on my '67 bug. Mounted just below the rear window. It was fed with rubber hoses. After a few years in the sunshine ,the hoses began to crack. After a few more years they began to leak. When I sold the car--for $50-- I advised the new owner to over fill it with oil and drive fast, so he could get home before all the oil was pumped out. He did, and it did not run out before he got home.

See these are stories you should of told me as a child. Good stuff.
      I just put the tranny back in today after putting the motor in. turns out in the pressure plate I put a piece in backwards so the clutch wont engage. so now I take it off tomorrow.
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      08-29-2009 08:12 PM #34
      Hey have not updated in a long time! School has started up again and I am swamped and out of money.
      This build is now a budget build for the winter.
      As it sits now just need to finish wiring. I put fluids in her and it was amazing till I came out on Monday morning and found the puddle of $30 tranny fluid all over the floor, flange seal I think. So off with the CV's again, after I make the tool to get the cir clip off.
      Dropped it down on all fours and rolled it out!

Cheers! I have some Early rabbit parts I found up for some Scirocco cash in the classifieds.
      Peace!
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      09-11-2009 11:05 AM #35
      School and work has been eating ALL of my time. Got the harness for the lights nearly done.
      Brakes are still causing a headache the front grab nicely but the backs don't get any fluid. not to mention the peddle is stiff for the last few inches only, so more fiddling to do there.
      Soon. I hope soon.
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      10-13-2009 07:08 PM #36
      I have been working on tons of little things on the car. no photos of em.
      Main tasks have been:
      Wiring, this is killing me. Nothing seems to fit what the Bentley says and none of the lights work.
      getting the V belt to fit the AC delete.
      wideband O2 sensor
      getting the interior together
      getting brakes bled.
      more wiring.
      it is slow going but I cannot work on it everyday and money is tight.
      If anyone has any tricks or knows of web sites that show 77 sirocco fuse box layouts let me know. I have been searching everywhere and the rabbits are different enough not to work.
      cheers,
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      10-14-2009 10:18 PM #37
      ok buddy of mine stopped by and we got the brakes nice and firm. got a drivers side TB manifold from a vortexer (sorry IM history did not save far enough back for me to remember your name), it is now painted and waiting to go on.
      Wide band came today. Innovate wide band. Very nice they gave me everything needed including bungs for the exhaust which is very nice of them!
      WOOT Progress!
      Here are some photos of me dropping the fuel tank to clean it.

Plugging the holes with gloves so I can shake it.

Modified by Brycejoseph at 10:42 PM 1-25-2010
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

13. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S (sold), 93 Swedish Brick Sedan (son's car now), 85 E30, 87 Alfa Milano (huh?)
      10-14-2009 10:46 PM #38
      Yep I just performed the same gas tank ritual on my car...yuck what a dirty job (kinda smelly too, now that I think about it).
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] for your progress!

Vehicles
      10-15-2009 05:42 PM #39
      Quote, originally posted by petebee »
      Yep I just performed the same gas tank ritual on my car...yuck what a dirty job (kinda smelly too, now that I think about it).
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] for your progress!

oh man I did not know gas could smell that bad. how did yours look? mine had a ton of crap that looked a lot like sand grains.
      Update!
      Got power to the fuse box.
      went the rout of the Audi 5000 and pulled power off the batt line. I hope this does not bite me later, because it is really clean and nice this way.

Got my pully for the AC delete. I could find nothing localy to pull it off of. including 15+ VW's in the U-pull yard. a Local MK2 and air cooled shop. and Bow-wow.
      This is a plug for Toywagen, this pully looks great. It is for an 8v AC delete but I can find any difference between them yet.

Found these in the U-pull yard. I plan on polishing them up and making some cool wall art. any guess what they are off of?

Cheers for now.
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      10-15-2009 09:21 PM #40
      IT IS ALIVE!!!!!well... It turns over no ECU in it.
      I put all the engine together tonight and got lucky with some wiring connectors and BAM!.
      here are the photos of the magical moment.

Dont mind the seat. it is just in it so I can sit and make vroom vroom sounds.

<---- ecstatic

Modified by Brycejoseph at 6:26 PM 10-15-2009
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      90 Corrado g60, 82 Rabbit ABA (hers), 97 Audi A4
      10-15-2009 10:09 PM #41
      very nice! looks like that seat used to be awesome, that's some suweet fabric!

Vehicles
      10-20-2009 08:41 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by briansimons &raquo;
      very nice! looks like that seat used to be awesome, that's some suweet fabric!

thanks ^.^
      well yesterday we got together and turned it over and it got stuck on, had to disconnect the batt to turn it off. This did not happen to me when I first got it to turn over. So yeah this weekend I will be removing all the connectors and tracing every wire back to the source.
      and then off to put a tranny in my buddies MK2, too bad its not a easy as a MK1!!!
      Cheers,
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

18. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S (sold), 93 Swedish Brick Sedan (son's car now), 85 E30, 87 Alfa Milano (huh?)
      10-20-2009 09:12 PM #43
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] way to go...mine is running somewhat...not well but good enough to snap the flex pipe
      And my old gas smelled (10+ years) and was brown. Mash (who I bought it from) did most of the cleanup when he got the car 10 years ago. But I was still able to get a few ounces of rust and crud out of the tank.

Modified by petebee at 6:13 PM 10-20-2009

Vehicles
      11-03-2009 11:16 AM #44
      Ok I found some time to work on the Scirocco! Had to pick up three MORE bottles of Tranny fluid AND CV grease, because the bad tranny seals drained all my other fluid onto the floor and in the process melted the CV grease.
      So replaces those and buttoned up the tranny. Then jumped over to wiring. >.< So the reason I was having trouble before was that the colored blocks that attach to the back of the fuse block had several wires missing from them, this made reading the Bently wiring diagram really hard.
      So I found the wires and put little connectors on them and put them back in their home. plugged everything back in and it turned over like it was supposed to. before it was basically a closed circuit at all times, now it works with the key turn.
      No lights yet but I did not worry about that.
      Baby steps forward, baby steps forward.
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      90 Corrado g60, 82 Rabbit ABA (hers), 97 Audi A4
      11-03-2009 08:21 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by Brycejoseph &raquo;
      Baby steps forward, baby steps forward.

this is exactly how my project is going, 81 rocco S, just couldn't pass it up, always wanted one. but i've yet to really get crackin on it

Vehicles
      2000 GLX GTI w/ 277K and Counting
      11-06-2009 01:41 AM #46
      i just picked up an 86 8v a week ago. car runs and everything.. got new carpets and hatch lock already for her.. g60 corrado seats (fronts for now) are going in soon. got some wiring gremlins to deal with. all in all im excited
      CLIQVE HERE
      Instagram @tylerpotenzone
      SAVE YOUR MK4 12V NOW
      Build Thread for my GTI
      Quote Originally Posted by passattimmy View Post
      Sucks, I've never blown one so don't curse me haha

Vehicles
      11-06-2009 10:52 PM #47
      Quote, originally posted by 1132fahr &raquo;
      i just picked up an 86 8v a week ago. car runs and everything.. got new carpets and hatch lock already for her.. g60 corrado seats (fronts for now) are going in soon. got some wiring gremlins to deal with. all in all im excited

Awsome man! Grats! they are so much fun even though mine does not run yet ^.^
      Quote, originally posted by briansimons &raquo;
      this is exactly how my project is going, 81 rocco S, just couldn't pass it up, always wanted one. but i've yet to really get crackin on it

I hear you motivation is a key factor along with a busy life it is hard to sit down and get stuff done.

Modified by Brycejoseph at 7:59 PM 11-6-2009
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      11-12-2009 09:15 PM #48
      ok got some work done today. wiring is up! everything clicks on when key is turned. we had to route the fuel pump around the fuse box because there must be a broken connection inside, which might be why it was rigged when I first got it.
      we have fuel! I know this because it sprayed out of a break in the line which got fixed.
      However... No spark. after double checking then double checking again all of the connections and locations of wires. conclutions are that it is a bad ignition module or hall sensor.
      I tried two ignition coils, reads 12v to the coil. but no spark to the dist or at the plugs. So thinking that the hall sensor or ignition module is not letting the coil send out spark is our current path.
      I'll be grabbing several spares from the junk yard this weekend and hope that one of them works. finding a new 16v dist for the hall sensor is going to be the pain.
      well that is all for now, it is so close I can taste it...maybe that is fuel, I did get coverd in it.
      cheers!
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      11-19-2009 11:22 PM #49
      It RUNS! I'll try and get a video of it.
      It turned out a stray tach wire was the culprit. Plugged it in set the spark at 8 deg BTDC and bam.
      so now or two to celebrate!
      cheers,
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      12-01-2009 10:03 PM #50
      ok well finally got around to doing some work today. took out the alternator setup and put in a new mount and another alternator I had laying around this time around there is actually play in the alternator so I can tension a belt! Turns out after three trips to the local auto parts store I am 1/2 in too long in belt length... >.< so I will wait till tomorrow to bug them for the right belt. After that that should be good to go.
      I fiddled with the car a little after the belt let me down. I am having trouble with the Megasquirt ECU staying on. When I run a real time view in Megatune it shows the batt Volt dropping right when it shuts off, so I need to find why the voltage gets so low... even with my jetta jumping the batt while cranking, the only way I can get it to start currently.
      the good news is one of my headlights started working...I dont know how.
      Until I find time again!
      cheers,
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast