Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: garage & living space addition thread

1. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      05-30-2012 09:45 PM #421
      Quote Originally Posted by cody moore View Post
      Oh trust me, it could be much worse.
      LOL, pair of 12' overhead doors. Someone with two motorhomes?

Vehicles
      2004 1.8T VW GTI, 2010 2.5L VW Jetta
      05-31-2012 11:48 AM #422
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      LOL, pair of 12' overhead doors. Someone with two motorhomes?
      Actually, it's someone with one sedan.

Vehicles
      2008.5 GTI w/TSI motor, 1995 GTI Vr6
      06-14-2012 08:21 PM #423
      We finally finished painting all of the cabinets that we picked up for the new garage. The tall 2 door one was finished first, then we did two small 36x28 (a 2 drawer, and a sliding door cab), and finally we did the 3 big stand up drawer units. Had a 36x64, 42x64, and a 42x53. Two of them are lateral file cabs with the doors that flip up, and one is just drawers.

Got a total of $35 into everything you see here that is red

Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

Vehicles
      06-16-2012 09:07 PM #424
      I think these cabinets should work out great.. started loading a little of our liquids and general car supplies in there.

Got all the usual stuff.. 5 gallons of 5w40 Rotella, Harley oil, Hydraulic fluid, tranny fluid, brake fluid, coolant, spark plugs, oil filters, grease, thinner, mineral spirits, 4 gallons of window washer fluid & Heet (meth injection supplies), rags, paper napkins, garbage bags, plastic rolls, and a small bin of detailing stuff.

Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, 2014 4Runner SR5
      06-17-2012 11:01 AM #425
      this thread and the project are awesome. I'm glad I just found it so I could enjoy 3 years of progress in an hour or so

Vehicles
      06-17-2012 10:05 PM #426
      Quote Originally Posted by Visheau View Post
      this thread and the project are awesome. I'm glad I just found it so I could enjoy 3 years of progress in an hour or so

I wish I could have enjoyed 3 years of it in an hour

We went to a cookout, then decided to go see if there was anything small we could do in the garage.. which turned into moving a bunch of crap, and putting up some more pallet rack

I got to play monkey and climb up there. I stood on the transmission of the motor, then the top bar of the engine stand, put a grate up on the shelf, and climbed up to put the top pieces in. I'm getting too fat to be doing that spiderman ****! hahah

We need to make a rolling base for that damn blasting cabinet.. not sure where it's going, and we keep moving it around. I still have to put some top shelves on the left side

Vehicles
      06-24-2012 04:40 PM #427
      We picked up some metal drawer / bin units today 17x 38x60 for $80

Vehicles
      06-29-2012 09:59 PM #428
      Whew! I just finished fixing ALL of the image links in this thread, and the same thread on another forum.

Apple decided that when they moved to the new iCloud setup, that they were discontinuing the mobile picture galleries that I had ALL of my pictures uploaded to. I had to recreate the galleries on Picasa, and then re-link each one.. . I love Apple, but that was a dick move on their part.

I didn't want the thread to go to **** since it would be useless without pics

Vehicles
      96' Jetta aba-t, 00' Audi A4, 01' Passat 30v
      07-04-2012 03:10 AM #429
      I am a Vortex build addict, click the link below to check out my builds and join in on my addiction:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...0#post85285470

Vehicles
      07-10-2012 10:37 AM #430
      Not much new on the house, but we bought a lathe over the weekend

If you want to see more about it, I have a post on the garage journal - http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=156806
      Last edited by Slayer; 07-10-2012 at 10:40 AM.

11. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      07-10-2012 11:30 AM #431
      You stole that thing Slayer. Very nice.

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      07-18-2012 12:20 AM #432
      Looks really nice, I love seeing projects like this when an addition gets incorporated nicely into the pre-existing structure.

Vehicles
      2009 GLI, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      09-20-2012 12:26 PM #433
      Well done sir, well done indeed

Vehicles
      09-30-2012 01:50 AM #434
      I just realized that I haven't updated this in months.. We got some stuff here and there done.

Electrical is 100% done now.. fire alarms, smoke detectors, and all the plugs, including the 220 stuff for the welder and whatnot. Still have to hang more lights in the garage though

BEST $72 FAN EVER! It moves almost 10,000cfm of air on high

Picked up a Kohler cast iron sink, and a nice Kraus faucet with a big springy sprayer. Not sure what the hell you call it, but it looks awesome

I bought a bunch of Ikea's Akurum Abstrakt high gloss white cabinets like these:

Looks like an Ikea store in the garage:

Here's a few of the open boxes without drawers or anything just sitting on the floor for a quick idea of what the shape will be. They aren't all there, we just needed some quick measurements. Still not sure what we are going to do on the backs of those cabinets there since that's where the breakfast bar is. Probably have to cover the back in wood and paint it or something.

Yay, hangy lights for over the breakfast bar.. need to cut about 6ft off the cords though

We found a wood guy and had him make some stairs, risers, railings and styles for the up and downstairs hallways, as well as some ~2.25" black oak countertops (tops aren't done yet). They are the normal depth except where where the breakfast bar area is, that will be ~36" deep to have an overhang. We are going to do the final finish on them ourselves, so its all planed / sanded raw wood at this point.

Also ordered some Viking appliances for upstairs as well, but they haven't come in yet.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 09:17 AM #435
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      nein....

If you want to pay for them, I'll gladly use those instead

Vehicles
      10-06-2012 11:41 AM #436
      The bathroom is all set other than the trim, and the wall needs to be cleaned, still got some grout smudge above the tile

Vehicles
      '00 passat wagon, '85 euro benz 280e
      10-22-2012 07:52 PM #437
      Wow thats awesome. Im so close to you too. I work in windham. Nice build thread

Vehicles
      10-24-2012 12:17 PM #438
      Hah, kinda funny how many people on the internet are so close by

Vehicles
      11-07-2012 04:38 PM #439
      Apparently the appliances are on backorder.. Yay!. The poles for the railings are all shellac'ed and polyurethaned. Still have to get the large countertop upstairs for the finish to be put on so we don't scratch it on the way up, so not a whole lot has changed.

We did manage to get the mini server rack that was to go under the landing in the upstairs breezeway finished though. It started as a 42u (~6ft tall) 2 post telecom rack, but I disassembled it, and then we chopped up the rails to make it shorter, and to turn it into a make-shift 4 post rack so that I could put long server cases in it.

I forgot to take a picture of it before I disassembled it, but here it is partially chopped up:

We grabbed some 1" angle iron, and some 2.5" angle iron from the recycling place to make a frame with wheels and also to support the tops of the posts. Recently we picked up a new dewalt dwm120 portable bandsaw and a swag offroad vertical table for it so we could cut long lengths of metal, and it chopped through it like butter:

picked up 4 275lb straight casters from harbor freight ,bolted to the angle iron, and test fit on the rails before drilling holes

Got them bolted up and rolling. The front of the rack is 24u's, back is like 20, but that's the way I wanted it. I was mimicing a skeletek rack, but saving $260. This way I can have the patch panel and switch gear at the top, and the rest I could put rails and servers if I wanted

made some quick angle iron supports for the tops of the posts and jammed some self tapping tec screws in there

I was going to run some supports from the front post to the backs, but it's solid enough that it doesn't need it.. and all the heavy stuff is going to be on the bottom. Plus I ran out of screws

I might swap out the keystone patch panel for one of the two regular punch down style panels that I have, and use the keystone just for rg6 connections. Still waiting on a 2u 2200va rackmount ups, and 2u extended run battery tray to show up

I just used whatever length wires I had to get it operational for right now. Will make cables to length later on to tidy it up

Vehicles
      11-12-2012 11:57 AM #440
      I got my ups and the extended battery tray in on Friday. I went to rack it and realized that I goofed up a bit when I sized the opening on the rack.. it's about 1/4" too narrow to put the rails on, then slide the ups inbetween the rails. The ups itself fits between the posts, but the thickness of the rails to hold it made it not fit. That's what I get for eyeballing it and not measuring, LOL. Anyways, I made it work by flipping the rails upside down, and putting the ups and battery tray on top of it (to get the full width of the posts), and then installed my small supermicro server inbetween the rails. It all worked out. Its fired up and all 12 batteries are charged

I also took the time to make some new cables and tidy things up a bit. No more 35ft network cords to go 14" and stuff. I also ziptied the power cords nicely so those aren't a tangled ball of **** anymore. The one thing that I need to mount properly is the cable line, but I'll do that some other day.

Vehicles
      12-28-2012 04:14 PM #441
      Haven't updated in a while, got some stuff done upstairs, and got a few more goodies for the garage since then.

The countertops are stained and polyurethaned now, small cabinets are bolted to the wall, and counters mounted. The tops are 2" thick black oak, and the breakfast bar one is 37.5"x10'2"

The large breakfast bar top is sitting on top, not mounted yet. We're going to do the back of the cabinets there with some plywood, then cover with metal and do it up modern industrial style with bolts and stuff, as well as make some "feet" for the ends of the counter on the overhanging side

We were waiting for the appliances to show up before putting any stairs or railings in because of the weight.. damn stove was 410lbs, fridge was almost 400, so we luckily were able to borrow a stair walking hand truck from someone who owns a lock & safe company

Yay!

The small set of stairs in the upstairs hallway are done, as well as the floor on the landing now that the appliances are up there.

Next thing to do will be the posts, railings, styles and the long set of stairs to the first floor. Since we're going for a modern industrial style, the posts are going to be attached with weathered lag bolts and metal plates. The pic makes the bolts look rusty, but they aren't. It's just the flash

The wall is going to be repainted, and the bottom rail for the styles is L shaped to go over the edge of the flooring and onto the wall, so all that will be covered

And here's a few new goodies we got for the garage that I don't think I've posted:

Pexto 36" 16ga sheet metal brake

Baldor 1.5hp 2" metal belt grinder

1950's Atlas 15" drill press. sorry for the potato camera pic

1940's? Craftsman power hacksaw that we're going to have to make a new base for and rewire

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      01-04-2013 02:48 AM #442
      this an an amazing transformation. Im and extremely envious, looking into buying my first house soon with a tiny single car garage ha.

great work and keep it up!!
      Unitronic Stage III w/ PT5558BB Turbo Unitronic.ca, IE HPFP, 3in B&B TBE, BSH throttle pipe/27mm RSB/Endlinks , Forge 007 DV , RalcoRC/Forge SS, 42Draft Design CNC Shifter bushings, BFI stage 2 motor/tranny mounts, 034 Dogbone, KW V2 coilovers, Nuespeed 25mm FSB, Whiteline Anti-lift kit/Front control arm bushings, 18x8.5 VMR VB3s, JBL stereo, CTS Turbo 2.0t FSI Big turbo kit!

01-06-2013 09:54 PM #443
      Just read the whole thread. First, how ridiculous is the guy that wants to regulate how everybody wants to build their house.

Second: Nice job. If it were my place, I'd do it the exact same way.

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C | 1990 Ford F-150 |

Vehicles
      01-13-2013 04:01 PM #444
      Yeah, that guy was one of them architecture snobs who doesn't live in the real world. Anyways, here's some of the railings up in the hallway

01-13-2013 04:06 PM #445
      Mission meets Industrial Age.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

01-13-2013 04:09 PM #446
      This is a box, or finger brake, isn't it? I want.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      01-13-2013 07:32 PM #447
      yep, its a box / finger brake. All them green vertical blocks above the blade? unbolt, and those sections come out individually. There's some pieces that are narrow, others that are longer so you can mix and match for whatever your needs are size wise

Vehicles
      01-13-2013 07:34 PM #448
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Mission meets Industrial Age.
      That's a good way to describe the railings and stuff out there. Upstairs it will be more modern industrial once its done. Getting some cool metal items laser cut, and have some neat cast iron pieces for tables and shelves up there

Vehicles
      2007 Base Jetta with C2 stg2 Turbo
      01-15-2013 12:18 PM #449
      Almost everything you see was made by us. There are a few items we did not have equipment for so we designed it and had it made to our specs. We have a vision and are just winging it as we go. Glad that any mistakes we make/made are minor and easily corrected as we go along.

Vehicles
      02-22-2013 03:54 PM #450
      Still poking around with stairs here and there, not much changed, but half the first floor stairs are done. Had to figure out how exactly we were going to do the posts down there before going too far with it

We put a deposit on a bridgeport milling machine today though, totally jazzed about that Its got a 42" table, a vise, bridgeport power feed, and the guy is going to put a 220v 3 phase motor on it for us. We only have single phase 220 at the house, but we're going to buy a variable frequency drive for that converts single to 3 phase, and it allows the motor to run at any rpm. That way you don't have to stop, untension the belt, move it, and then fire it back up. With a vfd and 3 phase, you can just dial the speed, and the spindle will slow down or speed up on the fly. We're going to be picking it up in 2-3 weeks when the weather allows

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      02-22-2013 05:57 PM #451
      Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
      Yeah, that guy was one of them architecture snobs who doesn't live in the real world. Anyways, here's some of the railings up in the hallway

Where did you get this style of railing from? I need to do my upstairs railings soon and i'm looking for a good source.
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

32. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      02-22-2013 07:56 PM #452
      Quote Originally Posted by White Jetta View Post
      Where did you get this style of railing from? I need to do my upstairs railings soon and i'm looking for a good source.
      The spindles look like the normal metal ones you can buy at HD for exterior use. The plates are probably home made by the owner (all that metalworking equipment). The wood looks to be done by the owner too.

Vehicles
      02-22-2013 08:11 PM #453
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      The spindles look like the normal metal ones you can buy at HD for exterior use. The plates are probably home made by the owner (all that metalworking equipment). The wood looks to be done by the owner too.
      The railing styles / balusters (black metal poles) are from either decksdirect.com or deckorators.com and they are black aluminum. They are attached with these plastic bases that screw in from the center, and then the post is slipped over the top. The wood was our design, and we had a guy with a woodworking shop cut it all for us, and we picked it up raw unfinished. The metal plates we made downstairs in the garage

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      02-22-2013 08:24 PM #454
      It's really nice looking. I'll have to do some custom work myself because I have a unique and somewhat different stairwell. I'm gathering ideas for something that looks nice like that but is overall simple in design and installation.
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

Vehicles
      Scirocco C30 Stingray
      02-23-2013 12:14 AM #455
      It's really nice looking.
      This.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast