Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 Passat Triptronic trans removal guide?

Vehicles
      96 Passat VR6, 01.5 Passat V6 Wagon
      07-06-2009 10:46 AM #1
      I may have to pull my wife's trans in her 2001 Passat. I don't have the tranny code, but it is a 5 speed trip. I am doing the fluid change tomorrow night, but if that doesn't fix the issues, I may have to have the TC rebuilt. Anyone got a guide for removing the trans?

Vehicles
      2005 Volkswagen GLI (BMP)
      07-07-2009 09:44 AM #2
      If you want to spend the money, id suggest going on ebay and buying the service manual for your car. It will have a trans removal guide along with a guide for anything else you might need to do to the car in the future. Have you ever pulled a transmission before? More specifically, a front-wheel drive?

I've never done a passat before and I think you may have to remove the sub-frame to get the trans out, but don't quote me on that. If that is the case though, just a warning that its gonna be a pretty tough deal if you arent using a hoist to raise the car up in the air, which im guessing you arent. But again, I'm not sure if you will have to do that or not so dont let me scare you just yet.

I can give a general step by step process that may help you to remove things in the right order, but you would have to locate everything yourself. Which engine does the car have?

Vehicles
      07-07-2009 09:51 AM #3
      It is the 1.8T AUG... I will be doing all the labor at a friend's garage. He is a mechanic so he has the lift and everything else i will need.

Also, I did the complete 2.0 swap in my GTI (Engine, harness, cluster, gas tank and pump, rear beam and sub frame)

I also once assisted in the replacement of a MK2 auto tranny...

Modified by abuthemagician at 8:53 AM 7-7-2009

4. 07-10-2009 06:34 PM #4
      What's wrong with the trans? We had a used (from Maine) trans put in our 1.8T Passat wagon here in SoCal.

Vehicles
      07-10-2009 08:21 PM #5
      It started leaking fluid brecause the po used make a gasket on the pan, then my wife drove it home with about a quart of fluid which killed the front seal. Now I don't trust it. I bought a used one with 90k for $645 before sales tax. Gotta pick it up tomorrow and order the seals I need on Monday.

Vehicles
      07-11-2009 06:08 AM #6
      Yeah, if it was driven with a quart of fluid in it (which im amazed it would even move like that), its probably fried. Just be careful with those used ones, if it hasn't been completely drained (usually there is at least some oil left in them), make sure the oil isnt black, burnt smelling, swirly (shiny metal powder), chunky or a combination of those. Does the place you got it from offer any kind of warranty or exchange policy of any sort? Because if they dont, i would strongly recommend you get your money back and go find one at a place that offers at least something that will give you a little time to test out the trans and not have to worry about it being junk already.

Vehicles
      07-11-2009 09:16 AM #7
      It's got a 90 day warranty on it. I will be putting a new filter in it as well as replacing the pan bolts so they have a 10mm head instead of a t30.

Anything I can flush the new one with while I have it out of the car?

Vehicles
      07-12-2009 04:08 AM #8
      You can't truly flush the trans unless its in the vehicle with the engine running. You will be fine to just do the service (fluid & filter).

Vehicles
      07-12-2009 09:49 AM #9
      I will let you guys know how it turns out

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 05:29 PM #10
      I know this is a dead topic but I got a tranny and installed it. Took forever and you really need an engine support to do it.