Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: DSG/Mechatronic Failure Update

1. Member
      07-21-2009 05:59 PM #101
      With the potential of 1.5 million rolling WMDs all just about to go off any minute, taking all the occupants in the car along with any busload full of kids or train full of passengers, we might be looking at a lot of roadside graveyards. Be prepared to do a lot of bicycling because all these highways/roads will be effectively closed down from the utter destruction caused by biggest rogue arsenal outside the former Soviet Union.

2. 07-21-2009 06:10 PM #102
      Potomac MD...Cary NC....look at at the medium income and educational level for thest two locals. Welcome to the seventh circle of hell VW.

3. 07-21-2009 06:23 PM #103
      Not that this matters, any more than VW DSG problems.

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      07-21-2009 06:39 PM #104
      So in all the years the DSG has been in production, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008, VW produced a known record of 1,000,000 DSG units in cars... (with some not being sold yet) We all know this... we've all seen the data dozens of times.
      But then you deduce, out of thin air, that in less than one year, (Jan.'09 through July '09) VW had the capacity to produce another 500,000 units, (maybe they're keeping them in boxes somewhere just in case they need warranty replacements... ) That's half of what took them 6 years to make in less than 6 months, and even if it were 18 months, I doubt they would have the capital nor the manpower to make another half million units in that short period of time! Why would they even try? Doesn't make any sense at all, not even smart business sense either. Whatever the case may be, it's just your opinion, based on your perceptions, which is no difference from us.
      So okay.., okay........ mmmmm
      I rest my case!

Modified by VWRedux at 9:42 PM 7-21-2009
      "There's nothing like a well tuned car on an open road". Paul Newman
      *The New 2011 VW Jetta... At Least You Pay Less To Get Less!*

5. 07-21-2009 06:57 PM #105
      Quote, originally posted by VWRedux »
      So in the all the years the DSG has been in production, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008, VW produced a known record of 1,000,000 DSG units in cars... (with some not sold yet) We all know this... we've all seen the data dozens of times.
      But then you deduct out of thin air that in less than one year, VW had the capacity to produce another 500,000 units, (maybe they're in boxes as future warranty replacements... ) That's half of what took them 6 years to make! Okay dude.......... I rest my case!

I'll go over it again: As of Jan 22 2008 they had sold 1mil, so that number essentially excludes 2008 sales. They sold 364k in the last 11 months of 2007. Lets assume they sold that many again in 2008, that makes 1,364,000. Now we're over six months into 2009 and they only needed to sell 136k more to reach 1.5mil. And as I said before, more models now offer DSG than in Jan 2008 so the number is likely increasing more rapidly.

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      07-21-2009 09:31 PM #106
      bcze1 says: "I'll go over it again"
      No thanks... I'm done with this tiny dispute.......

Modified by VWRedux at 11:57 PM 7-21-2009

7. 07-21-2009 09:55 PM #107
      Quote, originally posted by badbadtdi2009 »
      50,000 units..not widespread...what a joke.

And it really doesn't have to be 1% or widespread if the issue is real.
      VW just needs to investigate the issue scientifically by reviewing DSG repair logs from all dealers.
      fyi-
      Less than 1% of people who own iPods have reported that their iPod devices(just seen this on the news) have caught on fire or exploded for no reason. Apple has no comment. If news like this gets traction, it could give Apple iPods a bad name and kill sales.
      The same can happen if VW doesn't do some investigation now before the reporters catch wind of this and put their spin on things like VW has been notified of the issue and severity but since the percentage is low, they have no comment.
      I've personally only had a few small issues.
      1. Going reverse on a hill, I get the bucking bronco issue.
      2. Sometimes when I floor it from a dead stop, it shifts(slams) roughly through the gears.
      3. Once when I tried to merge into traffic from a stop, the car did not move for about 1-2 seconds when I gave it gas then suddenly took off and I almost didn't make into traffic safetly & could have caused an accident.
      It's time VW at least do some scientific research and investigation into the DSG issues before a death or serious accident occurs.

8. 07-21-2009 11:10 PM #108
      possible fix if this has not been posted here
      http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/...94482

Vehicles
      07-21-2009 11:42 PM #109
      Yes the link was previously posted... but it's a new bit of information, isn't it? Very interesting that VW sent a tech to rip apart his unit, discover the true cause, "a float" of some kind inside the Mecha.U. where either the Teflon coating wore off, or wasn't ever present, causing the float to stick in its bore as the DSG heated up, and then did nothing about it!

Vehicles
      07-21-2009 11:54 PM #110
      Piston said: "VW just needs to investigate the issue scientifically by reviewing DSG repair logs from all dealers."
      VW already has this information because they have had to pay the bill. Otherwise you're right piston, but it won't be VW looking into their own DSG/Mech.U. warranty service records... It's routine during a Federal investigation of this nature that all records VW has on file pertaining to the malfunctioning DSG transmissions to be turned over to Federal investigators. This record will eventually be made public since it serves the public interest. Then we shall see the true scope of the problem.

11. 07-22-2009 01:41 AM #111
      can some one actually explain or know the name of that teflon plate called so i can bring it up to the dealer.
      cause my dealership is rather incompetent.
      im tired of "THATS NORMAL" response from them.

Vehicles
      07-22-2009 09:17 AM #112
      Quote, originally posted by T1noandaudi »
      can some one actually explain or know the name of that teflon plate called so i can bring it up to the dealer.
      cause my dealership is rather incompetent.
      im tired of "THATS NORMAL" response from them.

Still looking for the name myself... however, why not go back to that R32 thread above, print it out and hand a copy to your service rep for starters?

13. Member
      07-22-2009 10:54 AM #113
      Quote, originally posted by VWRedux »
      Piston said: "VW just needs to investigate the issue scientifically by reviewing DSG repair logs from all dealers."
      VW already has this information because they have had to pay the bill. Otherwise you're right piston, but it won't be VW looking into their own DSG/Mech.U. warranty service records... It's routine during a Federal investigation of this nature that all records VW has on file pertaining to the malfunctioning DSG transmissions to be turned over to Federal investigators. This record will eventually be made public since it serves the public interest. Then we shall see the true scope of the problem.
      Then how come GM did not disclose the reason for their own version of automobile WMD?
      http://www.motorauthority.com/....html
      Now who is going to start their own investigation? This could be a bigger coverup than the JFK assasination

14. 07-22-2009 02:40 PM #114
      Quote, originally posted by LWNY »
      Then how come GM did not disclose the reason for their own version of automobile WMD?
      http://www.motorauthority.com/....html
      Now who is going to start their own investigation? This could be a bigger coverup than the JFK assasination

But at least they admit to the issue and are going to solve it whereas VW appears to not accept the issue(yet) until the sabar rattling from consumers get louder.
      "Now a General Motors spokesman says the problem has been identified, and therefore can be solved,"

15. 07-22-2009 09:22 PM #115
      08 Jetta Wolfsburg. Had "lost power" like it went in to nuetral twice while trying to turn left thru traffic almost getting smoked...wife & kids in the car. Have an appointment for this & the recall on the driveshaft bolts next week. I love this car but it will be gone fast. No way in hell I could ever trust having my family in it again...gee maybe it will engage before that semi smoke us all. This was my first import after putting up with the big 3's **** all these years. I never experienced a life threatening issue with the crap coming out of Detroit. Sure it falls apart & the fit & finish sucks...but this is BS. I came accross this site today trying to research this issue. Glad I did. C-ya VW.

16. 07-23-2009 02:52 AM #116
      Quote, originally posted by thomas17 »
      I'm going on my 3rd DSG/Mechatronics Unit. I have a 08 wolfsburg with 31,000 miles. The very first day I had the car in broke down with 101 miles on it. Flashing PRNDS and it would not shift into any other gears or reverse. Had it towed to dealer and waited 3 weeks for new Mechatronics Unit. For a few days it was fine then it started with jerking,hard down shifts from 3 to 1 in drive. Backing up was scarry at times. Brought it back to the same dealer 4 different times and they said this was normal for DSG. Got tired of hearing the same story from them and took it to another dealership and they said it was mechatronics unit and its on order for last 3 1/2 weeks. I love the car but with all these problems coming up with DSG I'm thinking of trading it in when I get it back. I've had many VW's in my time and never had problems like this.

dont trade it in, its the third time get ur money back lemon law!

17. 07-23-2009 12:02 PM #117
      Bonnie Gelfusa
      Mediation/Arbitration VW
      Phone: 248-754-3591
      Fax: 248-754-6504
      Bonnie.gelfusa@vw.com
      Fax all the repair documentation to this number. Send an email with your contact info.
      Tell them you will sue if nothing is done.

18. 07-23-2009 12:47 PM #118
      I'm not a sue type person. I'll let the dealership address it, then sell it. The seed has been planted & I just don't feel safe not knowing when/if it will happen again. Too bad cuz I really like this car: value, fit/finish, fun factor. Bottom line tho all the import hype that they are over & above American cars is not there. They just have their own set of problems & cost twice as much to fix. I can buy a Ford with a 100K mile warranty, have it paid off & into something else before it expires. At 38, we will be buying a lot more vehicles...not VW tho. All the things I've been PO'ed about over the years with my domestics don't add up to this. None of them were safety related.

Vehicles
      07-23-2009 01:03 PM #119
      I feel your pain... But I would sell it now SKUDRIVER before it's resale value takes a nose dive. (When and if this DSG thing ever hits the media.)

Vehicles
      07-23-2009 01:10 PM #120

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
      Thanks to you all, DSG failures are finally under the spot light it deserves. Many are asking me for numbers. So far the NHTSA has only received complaints on 2008-'09 VW DSG vehicles... such as R-32's, GTI's, Eos, and Jetta's. They claim that approx. 50,000 DSG units (cars) were produced during this period. The agency's investigation, (which only started on the 17th) will provide the true number of cars VW has already serviced with malfunctioning DSG's, how many 'call backs' or repeated repairs they have performed, how many DSG repairs are still pending, (estimated to be high hundreds) and the potential safety risks that may exist to the rest of them with functioning DSG cars.
      Then depending on the action VW decides to voluntarily take, (Yes, I said voluntarily take, the NHTSA has NO power to force VW to do anything) it will determine how many cars (if any) will be recalled by VWoA. Sad but that's how it's set up!
      If 2006 and 2007 DSG owners wish to be part of this investigation, they better file a report with the NHTSA as soon as possible! I don't mean to raise expectations here, but it's rumored that complete new transmissions may be in the works for the worst affected cars. (According to my source, Mech.U. replacements appear to be causing more problems than they're actually solving in most cases.)
      Stay tuned....

Modified by VWRedux at 1:14 PM 7-23-2009

21. Member
      07-23-2009 04:03 PM #122
      Looks like it is making the news:
      http://jalopnik.com/5321361/nh...sions
      60 minutes, here it comes.
      Forget the Bush/Cheney Secret spying/wiretapping/assassin team/illegal war / Gulf of Tonkin/Kennedy assassination, this is the real deal.

Vehicles
      07-23-2009 05:24 PM #123
      Thanks LWNY... boy, did you read some of the replies to the story? Some people are just so stupid.....

23. 07-23-2009 11:36 PM #124
      Quote, originally posted by pokipoki »
      Note: I know very little about cars, I have no idea what a Mechatronic unit is but here is my issue.
      - Had an oil leak 6 months back, Audi said they fixed it.
      - Had occasional leaks after.
      - Occasionally going around corners at 15-20 mph would get a "jerk" in power coming out of the corner when putting on the gas.
      - Last week had the blinking PRDNS while going 70+.
      - Had flashing engine icon the next morning.
      - Took into the dealer - told me it's leaking not oil but transmission fluid.
      - Audi road tested my car for another day, determined that the whole transmission needs to be replaced (under warranty).
      - Now waiting for the transmission to arrive and be installed.
      - Good news, gave me a S4 loaner, bad news it smells like an ashtray inside.

At only 37,000 miles I will be putting my complaint in too with the NHTSA.
      I'll post any more info when I get my full paperwork from the dealer.

Picked up my car today.
      This what my paperwork said:
      ########
      Cause : Defective transmission
      Correction:TAC#481224. Road test to verify concern. Ran GFF(P1707). Found trans pan bolts loose causing fluid loss. Recovered only about 1 qt. fluid. Inspected and found small metal particles in pan. Reinstall pan and refilled fluid. Road test. Found hard shift in reverse and 1st. Rescan car (P1815).
      Replace trans. Flush and clean cooler lines. Road test.
      #########
      In the parts list it has Gear Oil and Gearbox (REMFG)
      I assume REMFG means remanufactured, gee thanks AUDI!
      It was all under warranty but FYI it would have cost $4803.74

Vehicles
      07-23-2009 11:57 PM #125
      PokiPoki said: "In the parts list it has Gear Oil and Gearbox (REMFG)
      I assume REMFG means remanufactured, gee thanks AUDI!
      It was all under warranty but FYI it would have cost $4803.74"
      __________________________________________________ ___
      That's funny, just yesterday I was told that there are no remanufactured DSG's to be had, not only that but that they DON'T EVEN EXIST!!
      That only new DSG units were available...
      Thanks for the update.... How does it drive?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast