Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: 096/097/01m/01n manual tcu/tcm reset

1. 07-07-2009 01:45 PM #1
      i have typed this out so many times, it's time to post this up, considering the amount of issues that can be solved, just buy resetting the tcu. not limited to, but including...

1. clearing TCU codes without vagcom
      2. default tranny settings
      3. throttle readaptation (critical when doing any tranny or engine work). The ecu and tcu works together on many things. clear ecu also for engine work.

the definitive answer. as follows...

1.key on (dont start, just turn the car on)
      2.gas down to floor for 10 sec
      3.while holding gas, turn key off
      4.let go of gas
      5.key on (again, on, dont start) for 5 min (for throttle readaptation). touch nothing.
      6.then start while touching nothing.
      7.drive and see what happens.

its not uncommon to have to do this over and over, because u make small changes and forget to reset yet again. i cant count the # of posts where people change 99 things and reset 99 times, only to make one last change, forget the final reset, then give up and shoot the car with a shotgun. so for those that missed it *always reset last!*

This method is not needed for the 3speed 010, as that has no tcu and yes, this reset can be done thru vagcom too!

final note. i have done this method so many times for all my auto 4speeds, and it works everytime! if it doesnt, there is another issue that needs solving. hence, begin solving all issues my reset (easy, free, 5min). then, if needed, go to vagcom. after changes, reset. and so on until everything works perfectly. refer to my other post about solenoids and other DIYs about valve body cleaning and other issues. dont give up folks!!! usually its simple stuff to fix it.

Additionally, this is intended to complement a TBA (throttle body adaptation) performed in vcds/vagcom, not replace it. In any car, this will reset the transmission relationship with the TB, not necessarily reset the TB itself. That can only be done electronically with vcds (usually group 60 in basic settings).

edit: Works on all vw 4/5/6 speed auto transmissions from 1988 with the 096 corrado to present. I haven't confirmed DSG, but I'm 99% positive it will work. i have confirmed this method works for the 5 and 6speed tiptronics also. i have (had) a mk5 jetta, b5 passat and a b5 and b7 a4, and it works on all of these cars! I do this every gas fill-up.

Last edited by rychas1; 02-06-2014 at 01:04 PM.
      '11 Routan SE (black), '01 Jetta GLX VR6 5spd (silver)
      FE ///Motorsports VCDS Hex-Can, if you need help.

2. 07-08-2009 07:40 PM #2
      ok, i was doing it wrong,in the last step, because i turn the car on and waited 5 mins, ok lets see whats happen

3. 07-08-2009 10:56 PM #3
      Thanks for posting this up. I've seen a lot of versions of this reset so it's good to see something definitive. I've never tried resetting after doing work so I think I will give this a shot.

4. 07-13-2009 02:36 AM #4
      well i still have the same problem, i did the reset and first the car jerks like when i apply the brakes in the "D" the first gear still engage, so i drove the car for a while and still slipping in 2 and fourth, arrgghhh!!!!

5. 07-14-2009 12:48 AM #5
      and still no codes??

6. 07-14-2009 01:03 AM #6
      non, i did a valve body job a couple of months ago, i change solenoid n94 it work for while, but at the same time i did the kerma mod and i had the main rear seal blow and the after i change it i had the oil pan gasket blown twice, i change back the pressure nob to an original position but i didn't work so i put a spare valve body i had from a junk yard and this is what i have now, slipping from first to second and from third to fourth , no codes at all, i think i going to clean the valve body and see, if you have any suggestions please post!!

7. 07-14-2009 09:31 PM #7
      any idea what the reset is for a 095 tranny? tip?

8. 07-14-2009 10:13 PM #8
      vagcom. im not 100% sure the manual reset will work for the tip trannies.

9. 07-14-2009 10:19 PM #9
      Is there a TCM reset procedure for the Tiptronics, by any chance? 01V trans

10. 07-14-2009 10:20 PM #10
      I Must have been asking while you were answering. Might as well try it, I guess. Thanks for posting!

Vehicles
      2013 F150 platinum, 2009 Legacy, WTB: 2010 Passat wagon
      07-16-2009 05:21 PM #11
      i need to try this...thanks for posting!

12. 07-17-2009 06:17 PM #12
      Amazing stuff... I´ve been having upshift issues with the auto box in my ´99 Golf for 2 years. Car tended to be stuck in 3rd gear and took a long time to shift up. Brought it to the dealer once who could not identify the problem but said he cleared the computer. Tried the reset thing in this post and now the AT works like a charm, shifts up at normal revs without any problems.

13. 07-17-2009 06:37 PM #13
      good to hear

14. 07-15-2010 05:18 PM #14
      updated with 6speed tiptronic info! this works also.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      07-15-2010 06:30 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by rychas1 View Post
      updated with 6speed tiptronic info! this works also.
      6 speed dsg or 6 speed 09G?
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

16. 07-23-2010 06:52 AM #16
      is this reset procedure necessary when replacing the tcu with another one? I purchased another tcu on ebay with the same part number on it except for the last two letters. mine is 8D0 927 156 AL and the new one is 8D0 927 156 DF but they both are from 1.8T 5 speed trip. When I installed the new one it worked but shifts rough. So I put the old one back on. Do you think doing the reset thing might work with the new tcu??

17. 07-30-2010 07:54 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      6 speed dsg or 6 speed 09G?
      09x, yes. no personal confirmation with dsg, and we know that had a different breed of brains! but it cant hurt to try.

Quote Originally Posted by mattaytekin View Post
      is this reset procedure necessary when replacing the tcu with another one? I purchased another tcu on ebay with the same part number on it except for the last two letters. mine is 8D0 927 156 AL and the new one is 8D0 927 156 DF but they both are from 1.8T 5 speed trip. When I installed the new one it worked but shifts rough. So I put the old one back on. Do you think doing the reset thing might work with the new tcu??
      do it. any work, especially tcu and throttle body/tuneup/its-been-a-while-since-the-last-time, then do it.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '02 VW Eurovan GLS
      04-12-2012 06:33 PM #18
      I know this is an old topic, but I have now saved this info in my folder of VW DIY infinite wisdom. My tranny has been acting up on my B6 Passat. Strange shifting issues (hunts around a lot, shifts hard). I pulled a code that was an intermittent MIL request from the TCM. Dealer originally didn't scan for codes, but of course I couldn't reproduce the issue with a tech in the car. It started doing it as soon as I got it back. Came back to the dealer the next day, they kept it all day, drove, it felt the issue, finally scanned it... and said I would probably get a new valve body, but they were checking codes still. Come to find out the had never seen the intermittent MIL on the TCM before, and finally said if it wasn't throwing a code to warranty a valve body replacement, they couldn't replace it, but offered replacing my TCM for $957!

So, I ordered a used TCM (exact same model #) to replace it, but I saw this post and just tried resetting the TCM. After a test drive of around 20 min I have to say, so far, it is driving like it used to! I don't feel any gear searching or hard shifts!!! Thanks for this!!!

19. 04-14-2012 12:09 AM #19
      Glad to hear success!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '02 VW Eurovan GLS
      04-17-2012 11:25 AM #20
      Meant to reply back... this actually didn't fix my issue. The next time I drove the Passat it was having the same issues. Luckily I had purchased a used TCM (exact same model) off of Ebay... it was waiting for me when I got home. I swapped it in and it immediately fixed the issue. $75 plus shipping for the module, so I kept $882 in my pocket.

21. 04-19-2012 11:59 AM #21
      Still good.

22. 01-29-2014 10:09 PM #22
      Hi there I have a 1999 Volkswagen jetta tdi I put a brand new battery in and also a brand new alternator got it running ran it for like 2 hours and I turned it off and locked it up and the next morning i went out and tryed to unlock it and it wouldn't open it's not the key remote it was that the car had no power so I got the tow company to get in to it and not it's stuck in anti theft mode whenever I hook power to the car the alarm keeps going off can anyone help please?!?!
      Thanks!

23. 02-06-2014 01:01 PM #23
      Though not related to this at all, it sounds as if you have an issue with your door lock, unrelated to your previous issue. However, unless you reset your key to the car, you will have alarm issues. It's not related to the transmission. Your car thinks that you broke into it. Post in the passat forums.

24. 02-06-2014 01:03 PM #24
      Updated: Works on all vw 4/5/6 speed auto transmissions from 1988 with the 096 corrado to present. I haven't confirmed DSG, but I'm 99% positive it will work.

Vehicles
      2005 passat wagon GLX 4motion 2.8 V6
      03-25-2014 04:41 PM #25
      I own a 2005 V6 4Motion Passat wagon with 110,000 miles on it. Recently, the transmission feels as if it shifting hard from 3rd into 4th, between 1500 rpm and 2000 rpm, and is noticeable while driving uphill. I saw your post regarding the reset procedure. Would this work on my vehicle or is this reset for something entirely different? Thanks.

26. 03-25-2014 10:16 PM #26
      It's the same. You have a 5speed tiptronic 4motion.

Vehicles
      2005 passat wagon GLX 4motion 2.8 V6
      03-26-2014 10:45 AM #27
      rychas1 you are a life saver! I performed the procedure as instructed and it worked! It is a huge relief. Now, is that something that is required when changing out any sensor on the vehicle or does it just pertain to the TCM? Thanks.

28. 03-26-2014 10:12 PM #28
      Awesome! Anything that disrupts circuitry...so many sensors send signals thru the tcm and ecm that it just becomes necessary. I do it every gas fill-up, just for the heck of it! It can't hurt.

29. 04-20-2014 08:03 PM #29
      just wondering if this reset can be done on a diesel, forgive me im simply new to this vehicle and i would love to try the easy fix.... any suggestions?

30. 04-22-2014 10:49 PM #30
      Yes. The transmissions are the same. The real difference is that a TDI does not have a "throttle body", but it does have equitable input sensors that function the same. For the purpose of this thread, yes, it will reset. Remember, this is not a "fix", just a reset to default.

31. 04-30-2014 09:52 AM #31
      Thanks for the info. My battery this winter had trouble on very cold mornings (-10 or colder) starting the diesel and had to be charged a couple times so i thought this may be similar to disconnecting it so i went ahead and tryed the reset. Still have surging but only in the 2200 and lower rpm range in third and forth gears and no surge in first and second. Looking to swap to a five speed manual for the added gas mileage and cost of the repair. If anyone has personal experience with this would love to hear your story!

32. 05-02-2014 03:50 PM #32
      Your surge is due to a different reason. Your transmission needs to be read with vcds. You may need maintenance on fluids/filter/solenoids.

Vehicles
      05-14-2014 07:46 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by vwkruegda View Post
      Thanks for the info. My battery this winter had trouble on very cold mornings (-10 or colder) starting the diesel and had to be charged a couple times so i thought this may be similar to disconnecting it so i went ahead and tryed the reset. Still have surging but only in the 2200 and lower rpm range in third and forth gears and no surge in first and second. Looking to swap to a five speed manual for the added gas mileage and cost of the repair. If anyone has personal experience with this would love to hear your story!
      read test case #2 in the following link.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252885

Then click here for VB repairs.

http://kansascitytdi.com/01m-valve-body-repair/

And here is some stories about 5 speed conversion.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151516

And heres a guy who does pretty good conversion. I have a kit for sale right now for a mk4 jetta tdi.

http://kansascitytdi.com/01m-to-5-speed-conversion-800/
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

34. 06-17-2014 11:21 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by dallas4u View Post
      I know this is an old topic, but I have now saved this info in my folder of VW DIY infinite wisdom. My tranny has been acting up on my B6 Passat. Strange shifting issues (hunts around a lot, shifts hard). I pulled a code that was an intermittent MIL request from the TCM. Dealer originally didn't scan for codes, but of course I couldn't reproduce the issue with a tech in the car. It started doing it as soon as I got it back. Came back to the dealer the next day, they kept it all day, drove, it felt the issue, finally scanned it... and said I would probably get a new valve body, but they were checking codes still. Come to find out the had never seen the intermittent MIL on the TCM before, and finally said if it wasn't throwing a code to warranty a valve body replacement, they couldn't replace it, but offered replacing my TCM for $957!

So, I ordered a used TCM (exact same model #) to replace it, but I saw this post and just tried resetting the TCM. After a test drive of around 20 min I have to say, so far, it is driving like it used to! I don't feel any gear searching or hard shifts!!! Thanks for this!!!
      Hi where exactly is the tcm located on a 2006 passat 2.0t? I pulled up the carpet on front passenger side and it's not there? Plz help thx.

Vehicles
      06-18-2014 05:08 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by knman00 View Post
      Hi where exactly is the tcm located on a 2006 passat 2.0t? I pulled up the carpet on front passenger side and it's not there? Plz help thx.
      Under carpet on passenger side would be for a 2005 passat which is a different generation of car.

For 09G on your car see the following pic for the transmission computers location.

www.KansasCityTdi.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast