Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MAF sensor testing

Vehicles
      2002 Passat GLS 2.8V6
      07-13-2009 12:45 AM #1
      Anyone know how I can test the MAF sensor (4 pin). I don't have a Bentley manual yet, or VAG-COM. Wondering if there is a way using a multimeter on the harness either connected or not, ie: pin 4 should be 12v, pin 2 XX ohms, etc. CEL showing P0102, P0171, P0174. Sensor probably not working at all. Trying to find a good one now without paying a fortune, 220.00 at stealership. Just want to make I'm getting the right voltage etc. at the connector.

2. 07-14-2009 10:54 AM #2
      Here's what Bentley has to say about "Checking Voltage Supply @ MAF":
      Disconnect connector, pin out is 1 2 3 4 5 with "1" being at the rounded end of connector.
      Let engine idle with connector off.measure volts between pin # 2 and ground....11-15 volts. If no volts..check wire conection from terminal 2 to Fuel Pump relay (J17)..see wiring diagram.
      If voltage to #2 is OK...switch ignition on..measure vlots from pin #4 to ground...4.5-5.5 volts. If there is no voltage here..switch ignition off and check wires from ECU to the MAF connector...
      pin 29 on ECU goes to MAF pin 5, ECU 53 goes MAF pin 4, ECU 27 goes to MAF pin 3...Max wire resistance between pins...1.5 ohm..with ECU and MAF disconnected check insulation resitance between wires to be sure there are no wire to wire shorts in harness....if all wires are OK and voltage supply checks out as above...time to replace MAF...but I'd clean it first with "electronic parts cleaner spray"...Electra Cleen by CRC Chemical or simiilar product...spray both sides of MAF..DO NOT TOUCH sensor with anything or blow it with compressed air to dry..let dry by just sitting there. The sensor is a thin film unit and very delicate! Good luck!
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      07-14-2009 06:56 PM #3
      with the vag com read ecm mvb 32. The reading is normal +/- 5%. If its -25% or +25% its either a large vacuum leak or a bad maf. Also check mvb 3 or 5 for the maf sensor Gm/s reading. Spec at idle is 2.5-3.8gm/s if its higher say 8 than its either a vacuum leak or bad maf.
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

Vehicles
      2002 Passat GLS 2.8V6
      07-16-2009 02:10 PM #4
      Thanks slimjimmn will keep this thread for when i get VAG-COM access. Tested with multimeter and all seems good on the car side, new MAF be here in a day or so.