Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Question on timing marks for crankshaft... 2.0 AEG

1. 07-14-2009 06:12 PM #1
      First things first, I posted a previous thread on overall timing, and narrowed my problem to this issue, so I know the Bentley says to just focus on the flywheel tab on the automatic, and the camshaft gear to be aligned, however I am abandoning the flywheel method, and just am going to focus on getting my Cam and crank marks aligned, with that being said, heres the 2.0 AEG Crank...

See that dot on the gear, where should it be pointed to be top dead center? The Cam is TDC

I think the vibration dampener should have a mark showing where the dot is supposed to be aligned with, can someone show me where it is on this?

Side note:
      When I'm turning the crankshaft, my cam SHOULD NOT BE AT TDC right? I just found this out like today, I've been turning my crank with my cam at TDC, would my valves be bent? Any info would be much appreciated.

Vehicles
      2013 Turbo Beetle
      07-15-2009 02:37 AM #2
      the dot is on your harmonic balance
      I Have a VAG-Com in the Denver Metro Area
      89 Cabriolet CIS

Vehicles
      2013 Turbo Beetle
      07-15-2009 02:39 AM #3
      your valves are probably fine
      89 Cabriolet CIS

4. 07-15-2009 06:33 AM #4
      So I found the mark on the dampener, set that to TDC, however the flywheel is off now in order to make it align with the mark for the crank, I tried starting it again... same issue

I'm running low on ideas... spark plug wiring? leak in vacuum line somewhere? Maybe its the timing belt tensioner... I broke it, but JB Welded it back together, and have the marks aligned on it... I'm starting to loose patience for this, since I've been dealing with this issue for two weeks straight so far... iono anymore.

5. 07-15-2009 06:51 AM #5
      Just remember that when you rotate the crank back and forth, you have to turn it further than you want because you have to compensate for the slack in the belt. You can't just rotate it back and forth and expect it to line up in the same place again, there's a reason why there's a belt tensioner on it.

Also to verify the mark is in the correct place, turn the crank clockwise until the timing mark on the flywheel lines up, the cam gear marking will be "close". Then rotate the crank two full turns and the cam mark should line back up to the same place it was before.

6. 07-15-2009 08:45 PM #6
      Compression test done, #1 and 3 cylinders at 205 psi, 2 and 4 at 185psi, also checked spark, its there, but kinda weak, mechanic checked my timing said it looks right, (just the crank/cam) but the flywheel tab, is off, I need all three, flywheel tab, crank, and cam tabs are must be aligned....

I have no Idea how to do this since the crank and flywheel are connected... I just need all three to line up, at this moment only two do, he says its close to getting there, its getting fuel, ignition, compression is off, but thats just timing...

Because the timing is whats been screwing me over these last two weeks, I'm basically still at square 1... really starting to resent my v dub atm...

Modified by sengd001 at 7:00 PM 7-15-2009

Vehicles
      2013 Turbo Beetle
      07-15-2009 10:57 PM #7
      all 3 dont have to align...i didnt use the mark on my FW. if the crank is at tdc and so is the Cam then that bitch should start. make sure there are no codes in the ECU. make sure crank and cam position sensor are plugged in as well
      89 Cabriolet CIS

8. 07-15-2009 11:02 PM #8
      Thank you, I think you may have just solved my problems...

Since both the cam and crank are TDC, and not all three have to be aligned, then it's gotta be my crank sensor then!! I think that's it, I hope so at least, thank you again so much!!

Modified by sengd001 at 8:54 PM 7-15-2009

Vehicles
      2013 Turbo Beetle
      07-16-2009 02:15 AM #9
      you need a vag com to check for codes
      89 Cabriolet CIS