Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2006 Passat 2.0T engine problems

1. 07-15-2009 04:23 PM #1
      Took the car for an oil change (non VW dealer) a few weeks back and about a week after the car started experiencing some vibrating/shaking from, I assume, the engine. This only occurs when the car is idling or at very low speeds.

It wasn't a typical shaking from side to side that you'd experience from most engines. The car was jumping front to back. It almost felt like stalling a manual transmission car. The revs jump slightly, about 100-200 rpm. It feels like the car wants to lurch forward and break free of the brakes. Now on some days this isn't a problem and on other days it's an issue.

Engine noise is a bit louder than usual. Sounds like the belts or the fan, but nothing is lose and the fan is working.

I don't feel like all the power is there either, especially in lower gears and on take offs.

Ran the diagnostics, it didn't bring up anything other than some issues with the spark plugs and the coils. They were replaced but nothing changed with the problems. I have noticed oil level drop but there are no oil leaks anywhere.

I appreciate if anyone can help me. The car is not under warranty and the VW dealerships near me are extremely poor.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Passat
      07-15-2009 04:53 PM #2
      Check your oil level sometimes the cause of louder engine noise. Make sure they used synthetic oil. Could also be your coilpacks or a PCV failure.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 mazdaspeed3 tech package, 2010 mitsubishi outlander xls tech package
      07-15-2009 10:28 PM #3
      i have this same problem and not under warranty either. I heard it might be a vacuum line or pcv. i wont be changing to next week. i am just gonna replace all vacuum lines and if still not good then pcv.

4. 07-16-2009 12:53 AM #4
      Hmmm now that you mention it, a couple summers ago one of the vacuum lines snapped somehow and VW replaced that and a couple other lines, not sure which... so it could be something related to that. Maybe they did it wrong? It wouldn't surprise me, the local VW dealer is incompetent.

Please let me know how it turns out.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Passat
      07-16-2009 01:42 AM #5
      Where in Los Angeles do you live. I'll be happy to check it out for you on a Friday. I had sort of the same issue about 1 month ago. If it turns out to be the PCV I can fix it for you no charge. It only takes a few minutes to replace the PCV valve and hose.

6. 07-16-2009 03:47 AM #6
      I'm actually in Santa Clarita too. Strange huh?

can you email me at kebandy@hotmail.com

thanks!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat, 2.0T, 6-speed manual
      07-16-2009 11:01 AM #7
      Check your fuel injection system. The early 2.0T engines had a problem with injector #1 failing. The engine lurches badly and it sometimes (not always) illuminates the check engine light.

If the injector is your problem, it may solve itself temporarily, but the problem will return.

Solution? Replace injector #1. Have a VW expert confirm the diagnosis first (injectors are not cheap on this engine). For some reason, the computer does not always diagnose this problem correctly. Can you find a VW dealer you trust within a reasonable distance? How about a really good independent shop that specializes in VW/Audi?

Modified by alpinweiss at 8:02 AM 7-16-2009

Alpinweiß
      2008 Passat, 2.0T, 6-speed manual, Euro lights

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 mazdaspeed3 tech package, 2010 mitsubishi outlander xls tech package
      07-16-2009 11:46 AM #8
      for me there is a shop near by. i will have no choice but to take it there to get work done. the code im getting is- car running lean.