This is not a traditional DIY post, but I stumbled across it on the internet.
I totally didn't come up with this myself. That being said this is not legal advice, and I claim no responsibility for the outcome, should you attempt to try this at home.
So what if a fellow was to get a no front plate ticket in California (or elsewhere) and the fellow somehow forgot to get his ticket payed in time so it turned into a FTA? What if that fellow went to court and the night before, he "pre-dated" a check, wrote in the docket number and photocopied that plus the front of the citation? Now what if this kindly fellow informed the magistrate, that in good faith, he sent his payment and signed citation in earlier in the month and only had this photocopy he'd kept for his "financial" records?
Do you suppose the fellow would still be stuck with a $485- FTA (Failure To Appear) or would that fellow be looking at buying an exhaust with his savings after paying the $25- original fix it ticket? One must wonder.....
Now, if you get a fix-it-ticket for no-front-plate, the right thing to do is permanently affix the missing plate to your car. This way redlight cameras and or speed cameras can accurately identify you and issue you a citation. We all want to make sure that happens so we can operate within the confines of the laws which were created for our safety and the safety of our fellow motorists.
Some people who have european plates, or no plates and therefore no extra holes in the front plate filler piece. The other option, if you operate on a slightly mischievous level is to "front it" like so:
1. buy a pack of double sided emblem tape
2. tape the license plate in the frame,
3. buy two 1/2" flathead sheet metal screws and pop them through the top two holes
4. on the backside of the plate stick on two pieces of emblem tape with pilot holes punched into them to grab the threads on the plate and give the appearance of being bolted-up to the grille of the car
5. next strategically place larger pieces of the double-sided emblem tape to the back of your license plate and stick it on moments before getting your ticket signed off at the local friendly police department.
6. tear that f'n thing off within 60 seconds of pulling out of the PD parking lot. Home free, now enjoy your clean screw hole free front-end.
Of course I personally would never do this, because I have a healthy respect for the law and understand that they are just doing their job. I would never devise such a devious and unlawful work-around such as this, and you should not either.
Modified by iModTTS at 9:00 AM 7/24/2009