Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tiguan Roof Rack....

1. 07-19-2009 08:48 PM #1
      Hey guys,
      My wife wants to buy the cross members that go from side to side for her roof rack but wants to see if anyone knows of an aftermarket company selling them rather then going through the dealer and paying their crazy prices. Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Vehicles
      Frontier Pro-4X
      07-19-2009 08:50 PM #2

Vehicles
      SQ5
      07-20-2009 01:45 AM #3
      I just bought these guys for ski season (on sale) but haven't installed yet.
      http://www.yakima.com/racks/ra....aspx
      Golf R Mk7, DSG (future)
      SQ5 in Phantom Black
      E90 ///M3 (sold)

My flickr

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      07-20-2009 10:11 AM #4
      There's a thread in here that goes into some pretty detailed discussion about which is the best one, so I'd either do a search or look on the first three or four pages for it.

5. 07-21-2009 02:00 AM #5
      I had the OEM one until it broke (strange since Thule makes it), and I replaced it with a Thule 450 Crossroad. I love it, does everything I ask it to, and the built quality is top notch. It will cost you close to as much as the OEM one though. Quality racks aren't cheap.

Modified by Straz85 at 2:02 AM 7-21-2009

6. 07-21-2009 08:32 AM #6
      Thule and Mont Blanc.

7. 09-10-2009 02:20 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Straz85 »
      I had the OEM one until it broke (strange since Thule makes it), and I replaced it with a Thule 450 Crossroad. I love it, does everything I ask it to, and the built quality is top notch. It will cost you close to as much as the OEM one though. Quality racks aren't cheap.

Modified by Straz85 at 2:02 AM 7-21-2009

i just put the crossroads 450 on my gf's new '10 tiguan last night, works great!

straz85, i see you have the panoramic sunroof. i was worried at first that the rear crossroad towers would be hit by the glass when you extend the glass past the last notch on the dial. but, once i had it on i have about 1mm clearance so it works...was a bit nerve-racking though the first time i opened the sunroof... do the wing-nuts that hold the tray to the rear bar come close to the glass as well?

+1 for Thule. it is the only brand i have ever owned, and will ever buy for my cars. especially since the velo vice came out, and now the peleton and echelon trays, they are by far the easiest bike trays to use.

Vehicles
      SQ5
      11-11-2009 06:32 PM #8
      Just installed my ski rack! I should be going to the mountains for opening weekend on saturday. We've already got a 64 inch base and it's still dumping.

This is the Yakima RailGrab and FatCat6. The railgrab and bars were super easy to install and well made. The fatcat was a huge pain in the ass. The design makes it about as hassle-prone of an install as you can get. However, it looks great.

Unfortunately I do have whistling that is moderate at 55mph+. I'm assuming it's the bars as the racks are supposed to be super duper aerodynamic. I really don't want to get a fairing so I might get a windjammer to try out:

Anyone used these? Do they come in twos? Do I need two?

Golf R Mk7, DSG (future)
      SQ5 in Phantom Black
      E90 ///M3 (sold)

My flickr

9. 11-12-2009 08:28 AM #9
      Fatcats are sweet. Have the Big Powderhound.

Though I have graduated to a cargo box (Skybox 12) A cargo box, believe it or not, will prevent the annoying whistle.

For the big trips.... with longer bars, I have Skybox 12 + Big Powderhound

10. 11-12-2009 11:27 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by Transfer »
      Just installed my ski rack! I should be going to the mountains for opening weekend on saturday. We've already got a 64 inch base and it's still dumping.

Still waiting for the "local" mtn to open.

Vehicles
      SQ5
      11-12-2009 09:15 PM #11
      You're not that far from Mt. Baker, although it's the wrong side of the border for you. Baker is where I'm headed this weekend.
      Golf R Mk7, DSG (future)
      SQ5 in Phantom Black
      E90 ///M3 (sold)

My flickr

12. 11-13-2009 11:27 AM #12
      Nice! What lenth of cross bars did you get? 48", 58", 66", 78"

PS. Everytime I see a White Tig, I catch myself saying, dang, I should have got the white one! Looks EXTRA nice w/ the black grill!

13. Member
      11-13-2009 06:48 PM #13
      anyone have pics of a rack, oem bars, bike mounts, ect on the S model that dont come the bars on top from factory like the SE and SEL?

Vehicles
      SQ5
      11-15-2009 05:28 PM #14
      I tried out the windjammer and it didn't solve my whistle issue. I'll return it and reluctantly get a fairing.

BTW, I can't recommend the FatCat6 at all. Yes it looks great, but it's been such a pain in the ass. The install was a major headache, the locks get stuck, and the rear rack is very very difficult to open. It gets stuck for some reason and I've had to use a hammer to smash it open. Not to mention I bought them for their aerodynamics and something still whistles (maybe just the bars though). I wish I had just bought the less expensive set.

Golf R Mk7, DSG (future)
      SQ5 in Phantom Black
      E90 ///M3 (sold)

My flickr

Vehicles
      SQ5
      11-15-2009 05:31 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by Coneynew »
      Nice! What lenth of cross bars did you get? 48", 58", 66", 78"

PS. Everytime I see a White Tig, I catch myself saying, dang, I should have got the white one! Looks EXTRA nice w/ the black grill!

The bars are 48" as suggested by the Yakima fit guide for Tiguan. I wanted as short as would fit and they seem perfect.

And thanks for the comments on the grill.

Golf R Mk7, DSG (future)
      SQ5 in Phantom Black
      E90 ///M3 (sold)

My flickr

Vehicles
      2010 Tiguan SE Alpine Gray w/Leather and moonroof
      12-16-2009 02:37 PM #16
      Found these on Ebay:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...AX:IT

Seems like decent lower cost alternate ( $75) than Thule or Factory, if in like my case will only to use a few times per year.
      One of the purchasers has Touareg and Treg raisl seem to be close match and maybe are identical.

Has anyone purchased these? If so comments and how well to they fit up to factroy rails?

Thanks, BT

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan SE 4MO
      12-17-2009 07:58 AM #17
      You get what you pay for. The eBay ones look a lot like the ones I saw at the Harbor Freight store for - no lie - $12.99 for a PAIR of locking crossbars. If you only plan on using them for light loads, like trips to the hardware store for a 4x8 sheet of something, I can imagine those would be a bargain. But I ain't strapping my Cannondale to 'em.

I've got the Thule crossroads and they are secure, easy on-off, lockable, etc. They've got my vote. (I also had the full Thule rack on my 2001 Jetta and loved it).

-- Mark
      -------------------------------
      2009 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1 - Tow Package (Class III) - Phatbox - Ross-Tech VCDS (Various Mods)
      Previous car: 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg - w/REVO Tuning, AEM CAI, Audi TT DV

18. 12-17-2009 10:48 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by bt-treg »
      Found these on Ebay:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...AX:IT

Seems like decent lower cost alternate ( $75) than Thule or Factory, if in like my case will only to use a few times per year.
      One of the purchasers has Touareg and Treg raisl seem to be close match and maybe are identical.

Has anyone purchased these? If so comments and how well to they fit up to factroy rails?

Thanks, BT

Does this include the feet, or is it just the cross bars? If it's just the cross bars, then it's not a good deal at all, after shipping it's just as much as Thule ones. If it includes the feet, then it is, in fact, a good deal, just remember, you get what you pay for. I would expect this to 1) rust 2) crack (the plastic) and/or 3) dry out (the rubber). Also, if you have a sunroof, make sure there will be enough clearance.

Vehicles
      12-17-2009 04:30 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by Straz85 »

Does this include the feet, or is it just the cross bars? If it's just the cross bars, then it's not a good deal at all, after shipping it's just as much as Thule ones. If it includes the feet, then it is, in fact, a good deal, just remember, you get what you pay for. .

Price includes cross bars, feet and 4 locks w/keys - so for ~ $75 shipped is a good deal.

Understand this is not a Thule or Yakima unit!!! An would not expect it to be same quality.

My main quesion is has anyone else purchased for Tiguan and for limited use is unit functional and workable!??

Thanks, BT

20. 12-18-2009 12:27 AM #20
      It seems like there is also a person on Passatworld that sells it also.

http://www.passatworld.com/for...40569

12-19-2009 01:42 AM #21
      I purchased that ebay rack and ended up just using the cross bars from the set and bought the Thule Crossroads feet. In hindsight, I wish I would have just bought the Thule set from the get go. The eBay set is an unbranded Inno SR rack if you're curious.

The feet make the rack very low profile so in terms of aerodynamics, it's great. But that's where the benefits end. The downside is that they are a pain in the arse to attach (compared to the Thule Crossroads) and because the rack has such a low profile, the panoramic roof, when opened, almost touches the bars. If you have any kind of attachment forget about opening the pana roof. You may be lucky enough to crack/vent the roof, but you will damage your roof if you try to open the roof with any attachments on the rack. It is also a pain in the arse to attach the rack attachment because you have little space to work with (if there are screws and knobs to tighten).

If you're curious how tight of a squeeze I am talking about, just take a broomstick and set it on top of your roof rail and then try to open up the roof. That is basically what will happen with the ebay/Inno rack. It's great at being low profile, but sucks for clearance. Just go with the Thule Crossroads or OEM rack in my honest opinion. It might cost a little bit more, but it is way better.

Hope this helps!

~Chris
      2008 Jetta SE (wife)
      2009 Tiguan SEL (mine)

Vehicles
      12-20-2009 02:54 AM #22
      Thanks for the information & your experience with unit.

I have only had cTigan for 6 weeks and had not really looked at the sun roof operation. Per your suggestion I operation checked last night and was suprised how high the sunoof rises to go over rear glass.

I was going to order this rack setup but have reconsidered and will stick with the Thule Crossroads 45050 unit.

BT

23. 12-21-2009 05:22 PM #23
      Get a load of that rack! Nice Rack! I couldn't resist.

Vehicles
      12-21-2009 11:08 PM #24
      Decided on the Thule and ordered rack today - - with the $25 coupon which seems to be running daily for the week -$208 shipped !!

http://www.streetsideauto.com/...45050

In stock & they shipped FE EX Ground today!!

This is less than some used ones are selling for on Ebay!

BT

Modified by bt-treg at 8:10 PM 12-21-2009

Vehicles
      08 Jetta and 12 Touareg TDI
      12-22-2009 01:21 PM #25
      Yakima from behind...

Racks are for sale... (used once)

Modified by kleinbus at 10:26 AM 12-22-2009

Vehicles
      2010 VW Tiguan Wolfsburg 4Motion
      03-02-2010 04:59 PM #26

This is the Yakima RailGrab and FatCat6. The railgrab and bars were super easy to install and well made. The fatcat was a huge pain in the ass. The design makes it about as hassle-prone of an install as you can get. However, it looks great.

Unfortunately I do have whistling that is moderate at 55mph+. I'm assuming it's the bars as the racks are supposed to be super duper aerodynamic. I really don't want to get a fairing so I might get a windjammer to try out:

Anyone used these? Do they come in twos? Do I need two?

I want to know what you ended up getting to help with the whistling. I don't have the pano roof since i use bike racks in the summer and don't want to risk breaking the glass roof with any mishap. did you try those wing things out?

I <3 VW 4Motion & OOOO quattro
      Current: 2010 VW Tiguan 2.0T Wolfsburg, Candy White
      Past: 2007 Audi A3 2.0T S-Line, Jet Black

Vehicles
      SQ5
      03-02-2010 10:23 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by MistaRhoi »

I want to know what you ended up getting to help with the whistling. I don't have the pano roof since i use bike racks in the summer and don't want to risk breaking the glass roof with any mishap. did you try those wing things out?

Yeah I tried the windjammer and it didn't do squat. I ended up with a Yakima fairing and it really quieted things down. Rack is off the car for the season now though.
      Golf R Mk7, DSG (future)
      SQ5 in Phantom Black
      E90 ///M3 (sold)

My flickr

Vehicles
      2010 VW Tiguan Wolfsburg 4Motion
      03-03-2010 11:50 AM #28

Yeah I tried the windjammer and it didn't do squat. I ended up with a Yakima fairing and it really quieted things down. Rack is off the car for the season now though.

Good thing to know because i was thinking about getting it. Out of curiosity, do you have the pano roof or just the solid roof? I wonder if that makes a difference? Probably not.

I know that bar placement can drastically change the airflow over the roof too; pushing the front bar further back and the second one accordingly can minimize wind noise. Did you put the racks where the OEM crossbars would go (where the holes are)? that's where mine are now.

I had the fairing on my Audi and it really did work. I just didn't like how it touched my roof and it made it harder for the car wash guys to clean under there. I feel like the little foam pieces that buffer the fairing supports from the actual roof are a little cheap and slip from their locations when the glue that holds them down heats up during the summer. Maybe it won't happen with my white car since it'll stay a little cooler in the summer compared to the black Audi.

I'm really glad to NOT have the Q-Towers that i had on my Audi anymore. After a while, those silicone pads that go in between the car and the towers just got sticky and dirty; I had to replace them once a year and clean the car off with simple green to get the gunk off. Thank goodness for the rails! This is why i just don't want anything touching the paint on my car anymore (i.e. the fairing touch-points).

After this season, i'll be trading out my Fat Cat 6's with my 2 Copperheads and surf racks!

I <3 VW 4Motion & OOOO quattro
      Current: 2010 VW Tiguan 2.0T Wolfsburg, Candy White
      Past: 2007 Audi A3 2.0T S-Line, Jet Black

Vehicles
      SQ5
      03-04-2010 08:46 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by MistaRhoi »

Good thing to know because i was thinking about getting it. Out of curiosity, do you have the pano roof or just the solid roof? I wonder if that makes a difference? Probably not.

I know that bar placement can drastically change the airflow over the roof too; pushing the front bar further back and the second one accordingly can minimize wind noise. Did you put the racks where the OEM crossbars would go (where the holes are)? that's where mine are now.

I had the fairing on my Audi and it really did work. I just didn't like how it touched my roof and it made it harder for the car wash guys to clean under there. I feel like the little foam pieces that buffer the fairing supports from the actual roof are a little cheap and slip from their locations when the glue that holds them down heats up during the summer. Maybe it won't happen with my white car since it'll stay a little cooler in the summer compared to the black Audi.

I'm really glad to NOT have the Q-Towers that i had on my Audi anymore. After a while, those silicone pads that go in between the car and the towers just got sticky and dirty; I had to replace them once a year and clean the car off with simple green to get the gunk off. Thank goodness for the rails! This is why i just don't want anything touching the paint on my car anymore (i.e. the fairing touch-points).

After this season, i'll be trading out my Fat Cat 6's with my 2 Copperheads and surf racks!

I have the pano roof and the fairing footies were fine on it. I also placed the bars in between the holes for the factory racks and didn't try moving them around to reduce noise, although that's a good idea. The rack still made a little wind noise with the fairing but the majority was reduced and the whistling was stopped.
      Golf R Mk7, DSG (future)
      SQ5 in Phantom Black
      E90 ///M3 (sold)

My flickr

30. n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 Tiguan SEL 4motion
      05-13-2010 08:50 AM #30
      Which Thule works with the sunroof? This thread mentions the 450 Crossroads, however I checked on the site and they have: 450R Rapid Crossroad, 45050 complete crossroads railing rack, & the 450 crossroad railing foot rack. I think that I ultimately want to be able to carry cargo on the roof and then my bikes on the tow hitch.

Also, the factory installed hitch is a 1.25" and class 1, right?

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan SE
      05-13-2010 12:23 PM #31
      Thule 450 Base with 50"Crossbars

My set up is towards the rear because I did not like how the basket covers the glass roof. I like to look up into the sky and feel free vs the caged feeling if the basket is set at factory mounting points, thats just my preference. you can place where ever you want.

Loaded:
      Sorry for unclear pict

Side note: Using Thule bike carrier on factory 1.25" hitch

32. n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 Tiguan SEL 4motion
      05-13-2010 05:31 PM #32
      thank you so much for the prompt and informative reply!