Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My square

Vehicles
      02 Jetta GLS, 00 GTI GLX, 69 Squareback
      07-28-2009 01:36 AM #1
      My poor square that has been sitting for 3 years now, it was my daily for the 5 years prior to it sitting. Originally went down for a clutch. I had a 71 square that a was working on and that became my daily. Then I bought a gti and soon after sold the 71. Now the gti is the daily and the 69 still sits.

I've previously put a lot of work into this car attempting my first restoration. I was happy with the work I did but, felt I could do much better. Well recently I've been getting some work done. I'm not gonna jump into a restoration at this time but, I would like to drive it. I plan to drive it by the end of summer.

About 5 or 6 years ago

As it sits now

And 1 of the 71 and gti for good measure

More pics will come.

Modified by grantndub at 9:45 PM 7-27-2009
      edit: because I suck at posting pics

Modified by grantndub at 9:46 PM 7-27-2009

2. 07-28-2009 02:21 AM #2
      lets get her running!

Vehicles
      1963 Beetle, 2003 GTI 24V
      07-28-2009 03:32 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by blakiexcharles »
      lets get her running!

I concur

cheers

"Its not leaking oil its just sweating from all the horse power."
      -Adam H.

"Its not leaking oil its just marking its territory."
      -Adam H.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      07-28-2009 04:19 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by grantndub »

As it sits now

Looks good, but you've got a flat there.

That is a nice colour blue, what paint code is that?

Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      1985 GTi VR6'ed, 2002 Audi TT Quattro Coupe ALMS editon
      07-28-2009 10:36 AM #5
      1. Do the damn clutch. I did mine, it's not really THAT hard. Took me about all day though.

2. Fix zee flat.

3. All blue or all white. Choose. Two tones doesn't seem to flow on that car at all. Or maybe some white wall stripes on the tires might help it "flow" better....

4. Post progress pics!

I'll be watching, kthxbye

6. 07-28-2009 04:43 PM #6
      unless your going for ambulance, cause i feel ambulance. lol

Vehicles
      07-28-2009 09:10 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Cort »
      1. Do the damn clutch. I did mine, it's not really THAT hard. Took me about all day though.

2. Fix zee flat.

3. All blue or all white. Choose. Two tones doesn't seem to flow on that car at all. Or maybe some white wall stripes on the tires might help it "flow" better....

4. Post progress pics!

I'll be watching, kthxbye

1. The clutch was the original reason yes but, I had spent a good deal of money getting the fuel injection on the 71 up and running. Yes the fuel injection and could not spend any other money on the 69, priorities. As I was preparing to sell the 71 many parts got stripped from the 69 including the engine due to a stripped crankshaft bolt. You can read about that here. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/for...85438

2. The other side has two flats also

3. I wish I never went two tone, should have stuck with original color which was tan.

4. Progress pics to come this weekend.

8. 07-29-2009 11:16 PM #8
      I like it but once it gets running again you should think about doing something about the 4x4 status

Vehicles
      85 Volvo 245
      07-30-2009 12:51 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by 65cruiser »
      I like it but once it gets running again you should think about doing something about the 4x4 status

10. 07-30-2009 07:07 PM #10
      Nice car man. You'd probably get more done if you didn't have a VR to rip around in!

Good looking start. We don't see many in NE without a ton of cancer. Best of luck, working on a resto myself...not easy if you are a newb.

Vehicles
      08-01-2009 02:13 PM #11
      Rebuilt the carbs. I have the complete fuel injection setup from the 71 that I will be using. The carbs are to just get it running then I'm selling them.

I've been working on the engine most of july. Mostly refresh and cleaning work, re torquing heads and installing tin. Engine will be going in tomorrow.

edit:
      turbinepowered, the color is midnight blue metallic from maaco. I don't know the paint code.

65cruiser, I am going to lower it.

curt_pnw, nice chop

Modified by grantndub at 10:27 AM 8-1-2009

Vehicles
      08-03-2009 10:52 AM #12
      Got some more work done.
      Engine just before getting installed.

Engine is in.

Carbs n linkage, alternator in.

I spend a good part of the weekend going through all the wiring and charging the battery. When I went to attach the throttle cable to the linkage I ran into a little problem. I'll figure it out, then I realized I don't have a distributor. After charging the battery I installed it checked all the lighting then tried to turn it over. No dice, I may need a new battery. It's coming together.

edit: my crate is collapsing and wasn't like that last week. It's good I got the engine off of it.

Modified by grantndub at 6:56 AM 8-3-2009

Vehicles
      08-11-2009 07:58 PM #13
      Getting more work done this past weekend.

I fixed the flats I had, leaking between rim and tire. Painted one of the wheels and will be painting the rest. Figured out my linkage problem, I installed it wrong. Charged the battery and load tested it at my work, it tested good. The next day the battery was dead, Looks like I need a new one. Which I can't afford right now. Got the engine ready to turn over by adjusting valves and putting in oil. If it wasn't for the battery I would have turned it over.

Next week I'll be lowering it, probably 3 notches all around. I'll also be finishing up the other three wheels.

Vehicles
      A4, GTI
      08-14-2009 08:43 AM #14
      Lowering it to this height?

15. 08-14-2009 03:46 PM #15
      our square is 3 in the front and 2 in the back - if you are going down, i would do 3/2 or 4/3 (4/3 - you can kiss ur balljoints goodbye very soon..)

Vehicles
      08-18-2009 11:58 AM #16
      Quote, originally posted by pr0zac »
      if you are going down, i would do 3/2 or 4/3

after some more research I'm going with your suggestion of 3/2.

Yesterday I attempted the lowering process for the rear. I was able to get all the bolts loose on both sides with in a hour. Then struggled with getting the spring plate off for a couple more hours. Only to but it back together with no progress, I had some where to go so I couldn't spent all day on it. I went to my work last night and got a bigger pry bar. I'm about to go reattempt it within the hour. Now on to some picks.

Current height

All bolts loose

I found a black eight legged bugger hiding behind the spring plate cover

A little of my wheel process.
      Looking a little rough to start with.

In the background you get a glimpse of what we work on at my work

This is why it was leaking between rim and tire. RUST!!!

Some time with a wire wheel

A few coats of primer and then a few of paint.

Mounted and balanced

I decided the I'm not gonna use the carbs since I don't have everything to run them, fuel pump and correct distributor. The other day I went though the fuel injection stuff I got everything and will be using it. When I'm done with the lowering process the next thing I'm gonna do is install the FI system. Well it's time for me to get to work.

Modified by grantndub at 8:04 AM 8-18-2009

Vehicles
      i drive everything
      08-18-2009 02:37 PM #17
      nice work! i really like this build... Cant wait to see it lowered!

Vehicles
      08-18-2009 05:34 PM #18
      It's gettin there. THE REAR IS LOWERED!!!!! The passenger side that I struggled with yesterday came part today without much a fuss. Then the driver side came part like it was nothing. I went with 2 outer notches. It's quite low, I wonder if I did 3 notches by accident.

Passenger side you can see all my marks from prying on it.

Driver side adjusted and put back together.

a little reverse rack action

On the top is the pry bar I had yesterday, too much of a curve. On the bottom is the one a borrow from my work with it's cheater bar. I found it helpful to use a c-clamp to help get the spring plate cover in. Since my day off are Monday and Tuesday I probably won't be getting to the front till next week. I don't know at this moment, I might get motivated after work one day.

Modified by grantndub at 1:36 PM 8-18-2009

19. 08-18-2009 07:20 PM #19
      looking good man,

I find it easier to pry on the springplates for the front part of them rather than the rear part, it may make it easier next time

like this, of course the cover is off and try to pry from here while wiggling the end of them.

DHP, bringing the Dry Heat or What?!

http://dhpvw.com/blog/

pinstripes by el Roy http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/El-...52145338182434

Vehicles
      08-19-2009 11:46 PM #20
      I tried prying anywhere I could on the passenger side. On the driver side it only took 1 pry at top then 1 at bottom and 1 more at the top. Driver side came part too easy.

Last night I couldn't sleep thinking about the squareback. I only got 3 hours of sleep but, I had to get more work done. So I did.

Cleaned up the fuel pump.

Trunk area before I started

Removed tank and gave whole area a cleaning.

Before I ran fuel lines.

Fuel pump in and lines ran.

All lines ran and tank is connected.

I didn't bolt down fuel tank yet. I still need to run the power and ground to the pump. That's tomorrow.

Modified by grantndub at 7:48 PM 8-19-2009

21. 08-20-2009 01:19 AM #21
      at least you are staying motivated, I cant seem to do it lately, I need a good kick in the a$$, keep it up bro

Vehicles
      08-20-2009 01:08 PM #22
      Yay fuel injection!

Boo lowered.

I just can't get excited about lowered cars. See too many of them, I suppose.

But looks like you're taking your time to do stuff properly, which is always worth props!

[edit] Let me know if you need some fuel injection parts, I was stocking up to put it back in my own '71 when I had to sell it to pay school bills. Guy didn't want any of it, so my setup's quite complete.

Modified by turbinepowered at 9:10 AM 8-20-2009

There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      66Bug, 05Cavvy
      08-22-2009 08:18 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by royragtop »
      at least you are staying motivated, I cant seem to do it lately, I need a good kick in the a$$, keep it up bro

I hear ya Roy- It's hot in the garage...

Vehicles
      08-22-2009 08:43 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by turbinepowered »
      Yay fuel injection! Guy didn't want any of it, so my setup's quite complete.

LOL , when I sold my '71 the guy didn't want any thing to do with the fuel injection. So I ripped out everything and put on a set of weber 34's for him. Well at least I thought it was everything I'm missing the relays. That might hold up my process a bit more. I've been trying to stay motivated. It's been 95+ degrees that last couple of day when I get off of work and there's no shade where the car is at.

Turbinepowered, Do have just the relays? Are you trying to keep the system whole? I see them sell on thesamba for about $30 for both. Which is doable.

On Wednesday I got a little work done. Ran the electrical for the pump, while I was in that area I adjust steering box and inspected brake setup. Then I bolted down the tank only to later decide I need to replace the blue brake hoses. So the plan is on Monday lower the front 3 clicks. On Tuesday replace brake hoses and flush the brake fluid. I inspected and adjusted the rear brakes prior to lowering the rear. Also on Wednesday I found my bently, it's in sad shape but, all the pages are there.

Yesterday and today I worked on the harness for the fuel injection. The harness was in really bad shape including a hack job soldering I did on the side of the freeway one day. I thank Jim the man in the bay window that stopped to help. He had a soldering iron that he ran through an inverter off his battery. It got me going that's all that mattered.

Replaced some missing ends and labeled some other wiring.

Harness cleaned with electrical cleaner. I wonder if I should open up the ecu and clean it too.

D!!!! The wires area clean but the ecu isn't.

Modified by grantndub at 4:53 PM 8-22-2009

Vehicles
      08-23-2009 01:30 AM #25

Turbinepowered, Do have just the relays? Are you trying to keep the system whole? I see them sell on thesamba for about $30 for both. Which is doable.

I didn't have the relays before (they, alas, were still mounted and went with the car) but if Beetle FI relays are the same I believe I have a full set you can have.

Vehicles
      08-24-2009 11:10 PM #26
      Today went according to plan. I love it when a plan works out. I got the front lowered, it didn't even take that long. About 3 hours total.

The ride height I started out with.

Driver side already done.

Passenger side before I started.

Passenger side done.

New height.

A few full shots.

The rear looks lower than the front I got a bunch of junk in the rear, hopefully when I remove all the stuff it will even out.

Tomorrow is the brakes. I still need to get one more wheel painted, I might be looking in to tires soon. I removed all the bump stops my upper ones were basically gone, I just pulled the lower ones off. I need shorter shocks, the one I have on there are bottoming out. It's a good thing I got under there and checked out my suspension. The lower shock nut was loose on the driver side and the upper shock was bolt loose on the passenger side. Loose enough the I didn't need a wrench. Also both of my lower ball joints had torn boots, they still had grease in them and not much play. I'll be adding that to my list of future work that needs to be done.

I decided that I'm gonna use the correct relays, I was thinking about using modern ones since I can get them from my work. Original is the way I'm gonna go, someday when I restore the car to stock condition I would like to have these pieces. More to come.

edit: And oh I ordered some parts I needed for the fuel injection.

Modified by grantndub at 7:13 PM 8-24-2009

27. 08-25-2009 12:17 AM #27
      nice job man, looks way better lowered.
      can you turn the tires with out rubbing on the fender? looks close, maybe you need some 145/65's it will help bring the front down some also. keep it up

Vehicles
      08-25-2009 06:09 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by royragtop »
      nice job man, looks way better lowered.
      can you turn the tires with out rubbing on the fender? looks close, maybe you need some 145/65's it will help bring the front down some also. keep it up

Thank you, royragtop. The work will continue, I want to drive the car soon. At the pace I'm working at it will probably about a month from now. My front tires aren't in the best of shape so I'll need so new ones soon. I haven't turned the wheel to see if it rubs, I don't have the steering wheel on the car right now.

Next week the plan is to get all the fuel injection parts on to the engine. I'm pretty sure I won't get any work done after work this week, we are looking at 95+ degree weather for the next couple of days.

Today went as planned. Got all the soft blue brake hoses from reservoir to master cylinder replaced. They looked nice until I got my grubby hands on them.

As long as I owned the car it has always has a soft pedal. I've done the brakes twice and both times I tried to bleed them. Yesterday while lowering it I realized why the pedal was always soft.

I corrected that problem.

The calipers were on the wrong side. I never noticed it, I guess you do get wiser with age. I bleed the brakes and they firmed up real quick. Then I went to adjust my e-brake when the button assembly came apart. As I was putting it back together when I noticed the lever has a lot of play. I tug to one side or the other and the button would come apart. So I didn't bleed the rears, I just quit for the day.

Vehicles
      08-25-2009 08:14 PM #29
      I have sitting here in front of me a relay block with two relays. One five pin, one six pin.

There look to be two part numbers on the relay block, "071 906 059" and "0 332 514 129"

If this is the part you need, squirt me $20 and whatever it costs to pop it in a box and get it to you and it's yours. You'll need to let me know how to go about testing it (been a long time since I messed with D-jet) and I'll gladly do that before you buy.

I also have this odd looking metal bracket with four insulated tubes connected to a five-pin connector on a pigtail. VW # 022 906 079.
      What in the world does that do?

Modified by turbinepowered at 4:16 PM 8-25-2009

Vehicles
      08-26-2009 10:43 AM #30
      Quote, originally posted by turbinepowered »
      There look to be two part numbers on the relay block, "071 906 059" and "0 332 514 129"

VW # 022 906 079.
      What in the world does that do?

The research I've done is telling me that "071 906 059" and "0 332 514 129" are not the correct relays I need. I'm gonna go with "311 906 061" the orginial relays for type 3 injection.

I did some looking around on thesamba for 022 906 079 and found http://www.thesamba.com/vw/cla...73118 and http://www.thesamba.com/vw/cla...73131 looks like a rare piece (if original) that you might be able to get some $'s. It's fuel injection piece for bay windows and brand new ones can be bought for about $100.

Modified by grantndub at 6:45 AM 8-26-2009

Vehicles
      08-26-2009 04:13 PM #31

The research I've done is telling me that "071 906 059" and "0 332 514 129" are not the correct relays I need. I'm gonna go with "311 906 061" the orginial relays for type 3 injection.

Hmmm, makes sense. I figured D-jet was D-jet, but I can see there being different versions, too.

Sorry I can't help ya out, would have loved to have contributed (something!) to this project and the resurrection of a fuel injected T3!

I'll clean up that other part and see what I can fetch for it.

Vehicles
      MK4 Reflex Silver Jetta 1.8T
      08-30-2009 04:26 PM #32
      its coming together
      Dub Shirts - Frame Notch , SLAM&POKE,Wheel Fitment , On the GRIND
      Even more Dub shirts - Take a LOOK!!!
      www.iDubber.com - "For the Enthusiast in You"
      Instagram:-------->@mk4jr (yep! Go ahead and follow that.)

Vehicles
      08-31-2009 02:57 PM #33
      No work today gotta do somethings around the house to keep the lady happy. So I'm gonna throw up some pics of what I did during the week in prep for my weekend.
      Intake runners in bad shape.

Some sanding to get the old paint and rust off.

Then new paint and a little vdub love.

Disassembled Throttle body and cleaned it.

Then put it back together.

I also took apart and cleaned my distributor but, I forgot to take pics. The vacuum advance wasn't moving, now it is. I need new points, cap, & rotor. Tomorrow I'll be removing my carbs and installing this stuff along with the injectors and fuel lines. The intake runners are gonna look too good next to my beat up engine tin, I almost want to pull the engine and do the tin. Almost, I wanna drive it for a couple of months and maybe pull the engine when the weather gets bad.

Vehicles
      09-01-2009 08:32 PM #34
      I'm starting feel like this thread is for my own enjoyment, it's alright because I do enjoy my handy work. Updating this thread is keeping me motivated, I wanna do work so I can post.
      Throttle body and intake runner are in.

Along with injectors on driver side.

Got my coil mounted and have spark plug wires ready to install. Need to get new plugs before that happens. Didn't install passenger side injectors due to missing rubber pieces. I bought those today and tomorrow will be installing passenger side and connecting all the fuel lines. Hopefully next week when I get the relays, I'll be ready to put some gas in it to see it there are any leaks and maybe try to start it.

My air cleaner is just sitting there, my engine tin doesn't have a hole to screw it down. I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do about that. That's it for today.

Modified by grantndub at 4:34 PM 9-1-2009

Vehicles
      2014 S4
      09-03-2009 06:05 PM #35

LOL I have the same OEM parking brake as you

BPC>>Dubs - I am not only a member, I am also your father

I wish I was a derivative so I could lay tangent to your curves

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast